Chemicals Collide: Strong Enough

Put Your Love In Lights

"Knowing that the Phoenicians were first to create an alphabet, we can be sure that…" Jessica yawned as her history teacher droned on about Greek history. She just so happened to have this class with Yuri, Tiffany, and Hyoyeon but they weren't sitting next to each other today since they arrived a little late and there were few seats left available.

 

Jessica leaned her head on her palm, and looked out the window. She already knew everything the professor was talking about anyway. She rather liked Greek history and mythology, and had read a good amount on it. She was confident in acing the unit. It was a nice day; the sun was hidden by some clouds but the sky was still visible at some parts and blue. The trees swayed gently in a slight breeze, and it wasn't too hot nor was it cold. It was May anyway.

 

Her eyes landed on the spot where she'd seen Krystal and her friend this morning. Suddenly Taeyeon's voice rang in her head. "It's nice to have an unnie looking out for you sometimes you know? They can help you at times when you can't help yourself."

 

Jessica frowned to herself. "What did she mean? And where did that come from anyway?" She thought, musing over the shorter's words pensively. She dismissed the thoughts after a minute's pondering, and continued watching the clouds flit fleeting shadows over the grass.

 

Suddenly the bell rang, signaling the end of the day. Jessica jumped in her seat, startled, and quickly began putting her books away. Tiffany was already standing by her desk grinning like a Totoro.

 

"Hey Sleeping Ugly." Tiffany teased, shifting her bag. Hyoyeon laughed as she joined them.

 

Jessica scoffed playfully. "Sup Mushroom?" She retorted. Yuri burst out laughing with Hyoyeon as she made her way over. Tiffany stomped her foot like a five year old.

 

"Yah! Don't make fun of my Korean!" She whined, smacking Yuri in the process. "You're from America too!"

 

Jessica laughed. "Yeah, but I've never introduced myself to anyone as a mushroom." She replied lightly, getting up and slinging her bag over both shoulders.

 

"Nice Jess." Yuri snickered, hi-fiving  the blonde. Tiffany humphed, and turned away from the two.

 

"Whatever. Hurry up, they're waiting for us outside." She said, walking faster and pulling Hyoyeon along with her. Yuri and Jessica chuckled, but sped up nonetheless.

 

"There you guys are!" Sunny waved at them as they exited the school. Students were milling about, going home or standing around talking. Some were waiting for sports practice to begin, and some were waiting for their buses to arrive.

 

"Hi guys!" Yuri yelled, and sprinted towards Yoona who ran towards her with equal fervor and idiocy. They collided midway, both falling flat on their rears. Exchanging looks, they began laughing and they quickly got up.

 

"Unnie! What are you doing?!" Seohyun rushed over to pull Yoona up, and Sunny dragged Yuri up rather ungracefully.

 

Yoona merely laughed, and hugged the youngest. Tiffany flicked Yoona’s forehead gently as she walked by to join the others, still dragging Hyoyeon. "Hey guys. We were a little held up in the halls. Where's Taeyeon?" She asked.

 

"She has to finish a project. She said to go on without her." Sunny said, holding up her phone. Jessica yawned, and nodded.

 

A sudden movement caught her eye. She turned her head, and saw Krystal. She was by herself, surrounded by four girls Jessica knew were the same age as Krystal.

 

"Hey Miss. Jung." One snickered mockingly. Krystal glared at her but said nothing.

 

"What's with you? Cat got your tongue?" Another mocked, exchanging glances with her friends.

 

"You were the one who bumped into me earlier today weren't you?" The tallest hummed, then narrowed her eyes threateningly. "Who do you think you are anyway? You're always just sitting there, all quiet and icy. You think you can get away with anything don't you? Just cuz you're pretty doesn't mean anything brat, you know that right?"

 

Krystal glared back at the girl, but she seemed frightened. The first one suddenly lunged forward and slapped her with frightening force. Krystal's head snapped back from the impact, and a red mark instantly appeared on her porcelain skin.

 

They stepped closer. "Look here Jung, you better learn your place in these places. You hang out with that-that freak, all the time too don't you? That depressed who tried to kill herself? You think you won't end up like her? Huh?" The tallest had a grip on Krystal's collar now, spitting in her face. Another stinging slap. Another kick.

 

"Just because you're pretty doesn't mean you can just bump into people and do whatever you want." The third growled threateningly at her, roughly shoving her back.

 

"I-I apologized didn't I?" Krystal glared at the girl, only to receive another slap. The youngest Jung winced, tearing at the impact.

 

"You shut up ! And you know what? I've had enough of your ing attitude. You need a lesson , and this is a perfect time to give one." The girl snarled savagely at her, shoving her roughly to the ground. They closed in, surrounding the cowering girl.

 

"Look around. There's no one to help you. And you can't help yourself." The tallest hissed viciously as her friends closed in, blocking her off from Jessica's view.

 

Jessica suddenly saw red.

 

She stormed forward, vaguely hearing her friend's surprised questions behind her. She shoved some students aside, who yelled, looking rather disgruntled, and continued until she reached the girls.

 

Just as the tallest was about to land another slap on Krystal, a hand grabbed her shoulder and roughly jerked her around. She came face to face with the icy cold, expressionless Jessica Jung.

 

"What're you doing?" Jessica asked in a deathly calm tone, her grip on the girl's shoulder tightening. The girl looked confused.

 

"Who the are you? This is none of your business, so off ." She said, trying to pry Jessica's manicured hand off her shoulder.

 

Jessica's expression darkened and she roughly pushed the girl aside and approached Krystal, who was still on the ground. "Are you alright? Don't worry, unnie's here." She said soothingly, casting the coldest glare over her shoulder at the four who stood shell-shocked.

 

She stood Krystal up and protectively wrapped an arm around her little sister. A crowd had gathered at this point, with Jessica's friends standing shell-shocked in front. Jessica picked up Krystal's bag and handed it to the girl who numbly took it, and faced Krystal's bullies.

 

"I don't know what your problem is, but she apologized for bumping into you didn't she? So get over it, get over yourselves, and think twice before you ever touch her again you got it?" Jessica hissed at the girls, eyes narrowed in anger.

 

The tallest looked around at her friends, and scoffed, trying to look unafraid. "Wh-What, g-give me a break! What can you do about this?" She said, drawing herself up to look more intimidating.

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow. "Look girlie, I'm not looking for a fight right now. But you better stay away from my sister and her friend, and if I find out you've even breathed a bad word about her to your little minions, we're gonna have a problem. Got it?" She said coldly, threateningly, and was met with silence and opened mouths.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. "Weak." She internally scoffed, and turned to her sister whose cheeks were still red. "Come on, let's go. These losers aren't worth your time." She said, grabbing Krystal's hand and pulling her away.

 

Krystal could only stare at the figure standing before her pulling her away. Away from her bullies, from the dreaded school, from all the bad days. And a surge of gratefulness rose within her, amidst the confusion and hurt, and a single tear rolled down her cheek.

 

"Unnie…"

 

Taeyeon smirked to herself from the classroom window as entire spectacle unfolded. "She did it."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

They arrived home, and Jessica immediately sat Krystal down on a barstool and fetched the first-aid kit. She wordlessly applied salve to Krystal's cheek and scrapes, and the younger could only sit there in stunned silence.

 

"There. You're good to go." Jessica said, gently blowing the alcohol dry on Krystal's deepest scratch. "I'm gonna head to the store to grab some stuff for Aunt Chohee. You stay at home okay? Get some rest. I'll be back soon." Jessica said, grabbing her jacket and keys.

 

Krystal nodded as Jessica closed the door behind her. Her fingers brushed over her now soothed cheeks. "How does she know so much about first-aid?" She mused thoughtfully, looking curiously after her sister. Her eyes landed on a framed photo of them a few years ago, before Krystal was sent away from her family and she frowned.

 

She shuffled upstairs after eating a cup of peach yogurt, and looked at herself in the mirror. Her jeans were dirty, and there were small scrapes and cuts all over her arms. She felt a bruise forming on her shin where one of the girls had kicked her earlier, and the side of her face was red. She sighed, changed her clothes, and stared blankly at her homework assignments. Not like she could focus anyway.

 

Her mind was racing. Of course she was grateful to Jessica for saving her from a beating, but she knew the girls would be back. Maybe not tomorrow, but she knew they definitely wouldn't forget this and they'd wait for a chance to get at her again. And they wouldn't be as slow in conducting business, that much she knew.

 

She vaguely heard the front door open, but it didn't register until the door to her room opened and Jessica walked in.

 

"Here. You might want this." A bottle of cooling salve for skin was placed before her. Krystal jumped, just now registering her sister's presence.

 

"O-Oh. Thank you." Krystal bowed to her sister, accepting the salve.

 

Jessica snickered. "Are you really bowing? Stop being weird Soojung." She ruffled the girl's hair, and suddenly her expression turned serious. She sat Krystal on the bed, and paced about in from of her.

 

"Krystal, we need to talk." She said in English. Krystal looked down at her hands.

 

"About what?" She played dumb.

 

Jessica sighed. "You know what. Don't be a pabo."

 

Krystal shrugged, not meeting Jessica's eyes. "There's nothing to talk about. But thank you for saving me." She politely thanked Jessica, only to be gently flicked on the forehead.

 

"Why were they hitting you? Are you being bullied?" Jessica asked, completely serious now. Krystal inhaled shakily, feeling hot tears rising up behind her eyes.

 

"It's- I just- well-" she fumbled for words to say. Jessica waited patiently, not saying anything. Krystal felt her eyes getting wet and she quickly looked down at her lap.

 

"I just-" she choked, unable to finish her sentence, her vision blurring. A pair of arms encircled her, pulling her head into a slim but warm shoulder, and she broke down in her sister’s arms. Bawling, sobbing, releasing her hidden pain and suffering. Releasing cries of the unfairness of this world, the cruelty of others. A cry for justice, for grace and understanding, and a world without judgement that could never happen.

 

Jessica said nothing. She her sister’s hair as the younger girl sobbed into her shoulder, staining her light grey button-up with tears. She was suddenly struck with a pang of deep guilt for ignoring her sister all this time because she was too selfish and bratty to care. What kind of unnie was she, not to see her dongsaeng's suffering and not even bothering to talk to her? Jessica closed her eyes and exhaled, and she swore to never make the same mistake again.

 

"It's nice to have an unnie looking out for you sometimes you know? They can help you when you can't help yourself." Taeyeon's words suddenly rang in her head, and seeing Krystal in this state, Jessica knew the short girl's words couldn't be truer. Even though Krystal appeared strong, and untouchable, she was a vulnerable girl with the softest heart; a heart that should be protected from the jealous people of this world.

 

"Do you feel better?" Jessica asked as the younger's sobs subsided. Krystal sniffed and nodded.

 

"I-I'm sorry. I ruined your shirt." She said stuffily, furiously wiping the last of her tears away with the back of her hand. Jessica chuckled softly and took off the shirt. She was wearing a t-shirt underneath anyway since it was a button-up.

 

"Don't be silly. I'll just wash it later, I have awesome clothes anyway." She joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere. She grinned when a wry chuckle came from her sister, and she crossed her arms in satisfaction.

 

"So do you wanna tell me what happened?" Jessica asked softly, brushing a strand of hair from the girl's face. Krystal looked up with weary, tired eyes and told Jessica everything. She started with her first day of high school, and how everyone found her cold and mistook her for an arrogant person. She told Jessica about her various suitors during her school days, which garnered her resentment among the girls. Her first boyfriend, Minho, was sweet and great but he had to move away and she broke up with him because she didn't believe in long distance relationships. He was her refuge from the storm; always protecting her and inviting her to hang out with him and his friends who readily accepted her. She was still friends with them all but they had graduated last year and went off to college. That was when the bullying really started. It was all from the girls; the guys either liked her or left her alone. The girls were mainly jealous of her popularity among the boys and her pretty face and good figure, and while most people were nice to her, there were a select few who absolutely hate her and constantly harassed her.

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow. "I assume the lovely ladies I saw today are part of that group?" She asked with a dark expression. Krystal nodded and continued.

 

She met Choi Sulli halfway through her first year. The girl had a rough life; both her parents had passed away before the school year started and she was currently living with her older sister and her brother in law. She became depressed after her parent's passing, being close to both of them and losing them in such a short time. To make things worse, she was picked on by many kids in school which only worsened her depression. Sulli had attempted suicide three quarters through their first year; only Krystal would befriend her after that. She garnered a reputation as a freak, a maniac, a “depressed useless .” People spread all kinds of rumors about her and she eventually snapped, turning to cutting.

 

It was too much for her pure heart to handle.

 

Krystal monitored her closely, and Sulli was getting better even though people still wouldn't befriend her. Krystal refused to leave her side though, even though there were plenty of others willing to befriend her. This led to Krystal's social ostracism, and she lived out her school life alone with only Sulli for good female company while trying her best to fend bullies away from said girl.

 

Jessica took all this in with a calm expression. Her sister was going through far more than she'd expected.

 

"You know what? I'm proud of you." Jessica said with a stoic expression. Krystal looked up, surprised.

 

"You're stronger than you think. You're able to stick up for what you think is right, and you can see what others can't. Look at Sulli. Where would she be without you? I'm proud of you, Jung Soojung." Jessica smiled at her sister, gently cupping her cheek.

 

Krystal looked wearily at her sister, and Jessica saw suffering and sadness so apparent in this child's eyes. It broke her heart. Soojung had been such a bright child before she'd been sent away; always laughing and giggling at random nothings until young Jessica almost went crazy. Seeing such a change from that bright girl pulled hard at the elder's heartstrings, and she wanted nothing more than to put a smile back on that face.

 

"There's something else bothering you isn't there?" Jessica asked after a moment's silence. Krystal swallowed and looked away.

 

"N-No, not really." She said shakily. "I'm okay, really."

 

"Liar." Jessica deadpanned. "Tell me what's bothering you." She said in a softer tone.

 

Krystal took a breath and exhaled. "I'm just afraid of what they'll do when they come back. I don't know if I can protect Sulli then." She muttered hesitantly.

 

Jessica leaned back in her armchair with a neutral expression. "You don't have to do everything you know. Let your unnie help you here." She said casually.

 

Krystal raised her eyes wearily, but there was a spark of hope in her brown orbs. She said nothing.

 

"No one messes with a Jung  and gets away with it." Jessica's eyes darkened with hate towards the bullies. "They won't touch you again Krys, trust me. Have faith in unnie okay?" She smiled reassuringly at Krystal. "And don't worry about Sulli. She'll be okay. You'll all be okay. Arasso?"

 

Krystal said nothing but her eyes said it all.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A soft beep came from Jessica's phone, and she leaned over to see who it was. It was a text from Taeyeon. "You alright?"

 

Jessica picked up her phone and quickly typed a response. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

 

The girl responded instantly. "I heard you gave some girls a piece of your mind."

 

Jessica nodded slightly. Her friends had all called her after she got home, and she texted them all after her chat with Krystal, reassuring them she was fine. "Yeah, today was a little rough I guess. I'm okay though, don't worry."

 

"You sure? Wanna talk about it?" Came the shorter's response.

 

"I'll tell you tomorrow, but I'm going to sleep now. See you tomorrow then okay?" She replied quickly, unconsciously smiling at the girl's caring.

 

"Alright. I'm a street away if you need me. Night Sica :)" Taeyeon texted her back. Jessica read the text with a smile and tossed her phone aside. She needed to think a little, and clear her mind. Taeyeon's smile suddenly flashed through her mind and a silly grin spread across her face.

 

She never slept well after texting anyway.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Don't be late girls. I'm gonna head out early, love you both." Daehyun sang as he breezed through the kitchen and kissed his wife.

 

"Bye uncle." Jessica called after him, and he playfully blew her a kiss before closing the front door.

 

"Will you be okay walking?" Chohee asked as she washed the dishes.

 

"Yeah." Jessica nodded. "Krystal, call me when you're ready okay?" She called over her shoulder as she headed upstairs.

 

"Um, okay." Krystal called back with a mouth full of toast. Chohee looked a little surprised, but said nothing. She still couldn't comprehend the Jung sisters, even as their aunt.

 

Jessica came back down a few minutes later with her bag and shoes. Krystal hurried upstairs and got ready, then obediently followed her sister out the door.

 

Chohee looked on with a smile.

 

"Stay close to me." Jessica instructed as they neared the school. Students on the way cast them glances which Jessica couldn't care less about but made Krystal a little uncomfortable.

 

"Ignore them." Jessica said as they walked through the front gates. And sure enough there were whispers, glances, weird looks. Krystal but her lip as she looked around. Sulli wasn't in school yet; she'd slept in a little later than usual.

 

The four girls from yesterday glared at Krystal as she walked by. Krystal looked down at her feet as they snickered. Jessica suddenly turned around and glared back with equal hatred, and the snickering instantly stopped.

 

"Sica! You're late!" Hyoyeon hollered, waving an arm over her head. Jessica grinned and pulled Krystal over.

 

"Hey guys. What do you mean I'm late?" She asked the dancing queen.

 

"Not sure." Came the blunt response, and Sunny giggled at her friend.

 

"Who's this?" Tiffany asked, gesturing to Krystal.

 

"Oh! This is my little sister, Krystal." Jessica pulled Krystal over as she was inching away, and the girl was trapped.

 

"Wow! Daebuk! I didn't know you had a sister!" Sooyoung peered curiously at Krystal.

 

"Oh my gosh! Jessi, she's adorable!" Tiffany squealed in English, making Krystal blush.

 

"She doesn't really look like you though." Sunny remarked, waving at Krystal who hesitantly waved back.

 

"Hi Krystal." Taeyeon suddenly appeared, with a smile and wave to the youngest Jung.

 

"Oh, hi Taeyeon unnie." Krystal smiled shyly and waved back. A collective gasp arose from the others.

 

"Omo! How come you know her already?" Yuri turned to Taeyeon indignantly. Taeyeon smiles innocently.

 

"I met her when I went to Sica's house." She replied happily, not even batting an eyelash. Another collective gasp.

 

"What were you doing at her house?" Sooyoung questioned curiously.

 

"She invited me over to study and hang out." Taeyeon replied with a huge grin on her face. More collective gasps, and the mob Taeyeon.

 

"That's not fair! I want to go to Sica unnie's house too!" Yoona whined, stomping her foot childishly.

 

"Yeah! Jessi, why haven't you invited us over yet?" Tiffany demanded. "I thought we were JeTi for life!"

 

"Sica, how could you not invite your best friend over? You've been to my house a lot of times!" Hyoyeon joined in, clinging to Jessica's arm.

 

"Humph! Who needs her? We have Baby Jung right here guys!" Yuri suddenly latched herself onto Krystal and smiled happily at the younger girl. "Hi! I'm Yuri. Are you hungry?" She offered the younger a piece of candy which was accepted and eaten.

 

"Wow! She's so cute!" Sunny squealed, smiling at the younger girl.

 

Jessica quickly found herself disregarded as everyone flocked over to Krystal and began doting over her. The poor girl looked rather disgruntled at the various hands ruffling her hair and the barrage of voices in her ears, but to Jessica's relief she seemed somewhat interested in the older girls. Taeyeon cast a grin at the older Jung as she walked over as well.

 

Jessica couldn't help but smile.

 

A pack of cigarettes sat unopened on the bedside table.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Yeah. I'll get it done soon. Don't worry, I won't forget. Bye." Jessica hung up the phone with a grin. It was her partner in physics, Luna, whom she was working on a project with. They'd become good friends over a short period of time, and they worked well together.

 

Jessica suddenly spotted a foreign phone on her desk. She frowned and went for a closer look. Upon turning it on, she decided it must be Krystal's. "Ah. I guess I should return this to her." The blonde mused to herself, and headed to the younger girl's room with the phone in hand.

 

She knocked twice and heard "It's open" so she twisted the knob and pushed the door open. Krystal was on the bed lying on her stomach, eyes glued to a laptop. When she saw Jessica, her eyes curved and she  shyly smiled at Jessica.

 

"I think this is yours?" Jessica inquired, holding up the phone.

 

Krystal blushed. "O-oh yes. Thank you so much!" She said, flustered as Jessica made her way to the bed.

 

Jessica laughed lightly. "No problem. I found it on the desk corner in my room."

 

Krystal blushed. "O-oh I see. That's good to hear then." She smiled shyly at Jessica, and Jessica couldn't help but marvel at how cute the girl was.

 

"Jung Soojung." The blonde mused, sitting down on Krystal's bed. Krystal looked up expectantly.

 

"I haven't seen you in years. How are you?" Jessica smiled gently at the younger girl. It was true; Krystal had moved in with Uncle Daehyun and Aunt Chohee because she was having difficulties with a lot of kids at school. She was always bullied because she was pretty and quiet, so people often thought of her as arrogant and conceited when in reality she was neither. Jessica hadn't cared too much, nor had she really known what was going on at the time. Krystal was never near her classrooms despite only being two years younger and Jessica herself was only twelve at the time while Krystal was ten. Jessica had only realized the situation recently, and seeing the girl again after five years had awakened her metaphorically slumbering unnie instincts.

 

"Um, I'm okay." Krystal said with a yawn. Jessica chuckled and ruffled her hair.

 

"Doing alright with homework?" She asked, peering over the girl's shoulder.

 

"For the most part." Krystal replied. "I just don't like history."

 

Jessica nodded and got up from her spot on the bed. "Well I'll let you work then. And it's getting late, so make sure you go to sleep soon. I'll see you tomorrow Krystal."

 

Krystal nodded as Jessica made her way to the door. Just as the older girl pushed open the door to exit, Krystal said "Unnie?"

 

Jessica stopped in place, not turning around. "Hm?"


"Thanks."


The story's not done yet; it'll be a little more than three chapters. I don't want to make the parts too long, that's painful to read haha. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!