Chapter 7

In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

“I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life” 
― Savage Garden

I was going to the Foreign Studies building when I heard someone calling my name. I looked back and regretted doing so as I saw Cha Hakyeon walking towards me. “Annyeong Seohyun!” he greeted me warmly. “Annyeong,” I greeted back reluctantly. “My group has a scheduled dance performance later this afternoon. I would like to invite you to watch,” he asked me, moving closer and invading my personal space. “Ottokhae? I’d love to watch but I have something to do later,” I said, rejecting him again. It’s been a few months since this guy kept asking me to hang out and I have been refusing all of his invitations, yet he hasn’t realized that.

“Really? How about tomorrow? When are you free?” he asked, leering at me. He looked at me from head to toe in an uncomfortable way and I was once reminded of how awkward our first meeting was. “I’m sorry but I’m busy with the upcoming school festival and my studies,” I answered, stepping away from him and giving myself some needed space.  “Right, your club is the lead club this year. Kyuhyun Sunbae already talked to Eunhyuk Sunbae, our club president, if we can help. Would you like me to help? In that way, we can spend some time together. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone,” he said excitingly. “Ah, that won’t be necessary. We’re doing fine,” I said hoping he gets it and leave me alone now but unfortunately he didn’t. He continued talking about how it would be fun if we work together. I looked away hiding my uneasiness when I saw Yonghwa Oppa walking. He saw me too and waved his hand greeting me.

“Oppa!” I called him, waving my hands. “Excuse me,” I said to Hakyeon and walked towards Yonghwa Oppa. I stand beside him and smile at him. “Annyeong, Seohyun-ah. I was about to greet you but I didn’t want to bother you with your friend,” Yonghwa Oppa said to me. “No. It’s perfectly fine. Your timing is just right,” I said.

“Seohyun-ah,” Hakyeon said calling my name while looking at Yonghwa strangely. I sigh seeing him following me. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Jung Yonghwa,” Yonghwa Oppa introduced himself and offered to shake Hakyeon’s hands.

“Who is he?” Hakyeon asked ignoring Yonghwa Oppa. He looked at Yonghwa’s outstretched hand then to the two of us standing close. Yonghwa Oppa sensing the awkwardness of the situation put his hand down and looked at me. “He is  Yonghwa Oppa,” I said and then I linked my arms in his. “He’s my boyfriend.”

“What?” Hakyeon said. I ignore Yonghwa Oppa’s confused gaze and focus on Hakyeon instead. “You’re lying,” Hakyeon whispered. I hold Yonghwa Oppa’s arms tighter and look at him. “Oppa, mianhe. Did you wait for me? I was talking to him,” I said, while looking at him, pleading him to play along. “Ah… Ok, I didn’t wait long,” Yonghwa Oppa answered. I stopped myself from heaving a sigh of relief seeing him playing along.

“Seohyun-ah, you’re joking right? Sulli said you don’t have a boyfriend,” Hakyeon interrupted us. “I’m sorry. Is there a problem here?” Yonghwa Oppa asked Hakyeon. “Yes. You’re the problem. Who the hell are you?” Hakyeon said glaring at Yonghwa and stepping closer to him.

“You’re being rude, Hakyeon-ssi,” I said standing between them but Yonghwa Oppa pulled me, making me stand a little behind him. “Is he your friend, Seohyun-ah?” Yonghwa Oppa asked me, not looking away from Hakyeon. “Sulli introduced us last semester. Remember Sulli, our club’s secretary?” I said holding his arms tighter.

“Right,” Yonghwa Oppa nodded at me. He turned to look at Hakyeon, “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Jung Yonghwa, Seohyun’s boyfriend. Do you have anything more to say to her? If none, I would like to take her to her class now,” Yonghwa Oppa said. He talked calmly and with authority. I’m surprised Hakyeon didn’t stand aside and let us pass.

“Prove it!” Hakyeon said looking at me.

“What?” I asked him. “What are you trying to say?”

“I said prove it. Kiss him! If he’s really your boyfriend, you can kiss him. Right?” Hakyeon said provoking me.

“That’s really unnecessary, Hakyeon-ssi. Regardless of what you think, we’re a couple. We don’t need to prove anything. If you’ll excuse us,” Yonghwa Oppa said, pulling me closer and walking away.

Hakyeon stood in front of us, blocking our way. “If you’re not hiding anything, kiss him. All couples do it. Why can’t you? I’m correct, ain’t I? You can’t do it because you’re lying. You’re just using him to pretend,” Hakyeon said, goading her. He stood there as if he was absolutely sure that I can’t do it and that he was right.

At that time, I was so pissed at him and the situation I put myself into. Seeing Hakyeon so full of himself, I wanted to take that smug look away from him and shocked him to oblivion. I wanted to prove him wrong. I just thought ‘Ah for heaven’s sake!’ before I pulled Yonghwa Oppa towards me and kissed him. I stood on my tip toes to reach him and tilt my head so I can touch his lips easier. I can feel Yonghwa Oppa’s rigid body next to mine. He was obviously surprised. He stood there as if he was frozen. I was waiting for him to push me away. I wobbled slightly and then I felt him wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer and steadying me.

He returned the kiss, opening his mouth and nibbling my upper lips then my lower lips, tilting our heads in the process. His lips coaxed mine to open and when they do, my mind completely went blank. I wasn’t thinking. I was just feeling. I felt my stomach flip and a warm tingle spread throughout my body. Butterflies spread inside my stomach and my breath quickened. I wrapped my hands around his neck, feeling how soft his hair was. He pulled me closer, holding me tighter.

I was pulled by reality when we both heard a series of cat calls and wolf whistles. I pushed him away, shocked at what happen. Hakyeon was nowhere to be seen. Instead, there are a few students staring at the two of us. I looked at him and see him looking at me too. I can’t help but look at his swollen lips and his disheveled hair. ‘Did I do that to him?’ I thought.

“Oh my God!” I exclaimed. “Oh my God!” I said again when I realized the extent of what happened. I looked down staring at my feet.

“Seohyun-ah,” Yonghwa Oppa started to say but I stopped him.

“I’m sorry,” I said then I ran away. I can still hear him shout my name as well as the wolf whistles of the other students who saw what happened. I covered my face and ran towards my class.

I rested my head on my table while I wait for my professor to come and start the class. All I’m thinking was how embarrassing it is to be caught kissing in front of many people. I touched my lips, remembering how Yonghwa Oppa’s lips touched mine. ‘I’m crazy. There’s no other reason. I’ve truly gone around the bend. No matter how you think, how can I do that? This is all Hakyeon’s fault! That guy! If I saw him, I will really kill him! How can I face Yonghwa Oppa again after what happened? But he kissed me back! Why did he do that? Why didn’t he push me away? Aniya! If he pushed me away, it’ll be more embarrassing. Ottokhae! I’m crazy! Crazy! Crazy! Crazy!’ I scolded myself. Meanwhile, thoughts of Yonghwa Oppa’s lips still ran inside my mind. I shook my head and eventually resorted to knocking it on my table, muttering how crazy I am.

“I already know you’re crazy. You don’t need to hurt yourself like that. That won’t make you a normal person,” Yoona said, sitting down beside me. I looked at her and went back to lightly knocking my head on my table, muttering the words, crazy, lunatic and weird again and again.

“So I heard some strange things outside our building,” Yoona said, poking my shoulder to get me to listen.

“What things?” I asked her.

“Apparently, you were seen kissing your supposed boyfriend outside, in plain sight with all the student body to see,” Yoona said laughing. Upon seeing Seohyun’s reaction, Yoona stopped and her eyes opened wide. “So it’s true! You were really kissing someone outside! Who is it? Woah! You have a secret boyfriend that you’re not telling me! Heol! Daebak!” Yoona exclaimed.

“Shut up! That’s not what really happened!” I said, stopping Yoona’s mouth from sprouting more nonsense. “They said you’re really into it. Woah! I didn’t know you had it in you to do PDAs,” Yoona teased me some more. “I said that’s not what happened!” I said, annoyed at her teasing smiles. “Don’t tell me you just tripped and fall on his lips? That’s nonsense! One student said you’re both standing and that there are tongues involved.” Yoona added laughing at her heart’s content. “What! There are no tongues or whatsoever!” I said starting my explanation but Yoona stopped me. She patted my head and said, “It is ok. I can’t believe it! You’re finally a grown up! I’d love to meet him.” She gushes and pretended to fall on my shoulder. “My little best friend is finally in love!” she cried out loud. “Shut up!” I said. She only stopped when our professor entered the room.

Few days passed and I successfully avoided Yonghwa Oppa at all cost. It makes it easier that even though the medicine building is in the same direction of the foreign studies building being a med school student I heard he was so busy he can barely sleep let alone wander around the school. I heaved another sigh of relief when I arrived at my class without running into each other. I sat in my seat when I heard one of my classmates called me and said that someone is looking for me.

I went outside and saw Yonghwa Oppa standing there, waiting for me. I tried to hide and go back to my classroom when he turned and saw me. He smiled and waved at me. He walked towards me still wearing that smile.

“Annyeong, Seohyun-ah. Can we talk?” he asked me. “Sure,” I reluctantly agreed. We went outside and sat in one of the benches that surround the campus. “So, you’re my partner for the school festival right? When will you be available for practice?” he asked me. I was surprised that he can talked comfortably while I was sweating my hands in nervousness in just a few minutes spent sitting together with him. “I don’t know. I’m quite busy these days,” I answered softly.

“Are you avoiding me, Seohyun?” he asked me. I remain quiet, playing with the ends of my blouse while I stare down at my hands. After a short silence, “Is it about what happened a few days ago?” he asked, implying to the kiss that we shared. Again I refused to answer him. He sighed and I felt him look at me. “Would it be more comfortable if I asked Kyuhyun Sunbae to change partners?” he asked.

“Kyuhyun Sunbae won’t agree to that,” I said softly. I was amazed that he heard it. “What would you like to do? You can tell me,” he said, coaxing me to talk to him. “I don’t know,” I answered. “How about this?” he said, making me look at him. “Why don’t we just forget that accident and pretend nothing happen?” he suggested, smiling warmly at me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter