Chapter 11

In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There are some things one can only achieve by a deliberate leap in the opposite direction.

- Franz Kafka

 

Jungshin looked around the hospital lobby. Undeniably, Jung Medical City housed one of the renowned hospitals in Korea, even abroad. It is quite obvious once you step into the lobby that the hospital that you are standing on is one of the best. From the design, architecture down to its interior as well as the over- all ambience everything screams professionalism and quality service.

“Jungshin-ah!” a voice called him. Jungshin looked back to find Seo Inguk, Seohyun’s older brother walking towards him.

“Hyung,” he said, surprised at his appearance. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in SNUH?”

“I have some important business to attend to here. How about you? What is an aspiring scientist doing in a hospital? Are you sick?” Inguk asked Jungshin. Jungshin walked along with Inguk towards the elevator.

“Aniya, I’m meeting Ilwoo Hyung. Hyung, are you planning on transferring here? I thought you’re loyal to SNUH,” Jungshin teased Inguk.

Inguk wrapped his arms around Jungshin’s neck and shuffled his hair while walking. “Hyung! Aniya! Stop! I’m just joking! Joking!” Jungshin complained while Inguk laughingly walked with Jungshin’s head in between his arms. “Hyung!”

Inguk let go of Jungshin when they reached the elevator. He looked at Jungshin and saw him pouting beside him. Inguk just continued to chuckle seeing Jungshin’s reactions. “I’m meeting Ilwoo too. I’m the one who suggested that he talked to you,” Inguk said when they were inside the elevator.

Jungshin looked surprised at what Inguk said. “Really? Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Why did you ask me why I’m here if you already know? What is it about?” Jungshin asked. Inguk remained silent so Jungshin temporarily let it go. They reached Ilwoo’s floor and the two went directly to the department office where Ilwoo was.

Ilwoo welcomed the two and led them inside a small conference room. “Glad you two made it,” Ilwoo said. The three of them sat facing each other. Jungshin noticed the grim expressions that the two have. “What’s going on? Why am I here?” Jungshin asked the two.

“First, I would like to ask your utmost silence regarding what we will talk about today. It is important that nothing comes out within these walls. All of it must be kept between us three,” Ilwoo said seriously. Inguk nodded in agreement. It is quite obvious to Jungshin that the two already had an intensive discussion already about what Ilwoo was talking about. Now, Jungshin knows why Inguk pretended not to know why he is here. They will surely talk about something that is highly confidential.

“Sure, I’ll do my best to keep it to myself. As long as it’s not illegal Ilwoo Hyung,” Jungshin joked. Inguk snorted and then smiled. “That’s what we’re trying to find out actually,” Inguk commented.

“What?” Jungshin asked looking back and forth between the two. Ilwoo laughed out loud seeing Jungshin’s shocked expression. Inguk quickly joined him in laughter.

“Hyung!” Jungshin whined, seeing that the two have been messing with him. The best friends just continued laughing.

“Kidding aside, we really need to keep this private,” Ilwoo said. Jungshin nodded in agreement. “Sure Hyung. Now can you tell me what is it?”

“How much do you know about cryonics?” Ilwoo asked Jungshin. Jungshin maintained his poker face but deep inside he was surprised when he heard what Ilwoo said.

“I’m a chemist. My expertise involved chemistry,” Jungshin answered vaguely. Ilwoo and Inguk shared a look which was observed by Jungshin. “I know but I’m sure you’ve heard of cryonics. Your uncle was one of the few scientists who delved in it,” Inguk said.

“I’m not my uncle but I do have a basic knowledge regarding cryonics. Is this about Jung Yonghwa?” Jungshin asked getting straight to the point.

“Yes. As of now all of Yonghwa’s medical check – ups have resulted to normal. However, we are still apprehensive to deem him completely healthy. You know how peculiar his case is. There is no precedence to this so we don’t have a basis for our test. We do not know the ins and outs of cryonics and we are just relying on the normal check-up to determine the state of his health,” Ilwoo explained.

“That is why you are here. We need someone who can help us understand the process, its cause and effects and how it actually works. In this way, we can have an outlook of what may or may not happen in the future,” Inguk added.

“Actually I studied cryonics before. It was supposed to be my specialization but my father disagreed. I guess he was afraid because of what happened to my uncle. He is still afraid. He’s not one hundred percent sure of my vocation yet. He would rather prefer me to be a businessman. However I recently got his approval to study cryonics again,” Jungshin said, smiling slightly. He remembered all of his struggles to gain his father’s approval.

“How so?” Ilwoo asked. He was surprised to hear that Uncle Hongki was initially against Jungshin being a scientist. His family is close to Jungshin’s family because of their parents. And whenever their parents get together, all he hears from Jungshin’s parents are Jungshin’s accomplishments and how proud his parents are with him.

“I told my father about Yonghwa. Yonghwa and I are researching cryonics. He also wanted to know what really happened to him. How Uncle Jonghyun managed to froze him successfully. I’m planning on releasing a paper about the experiment. In other words, Jung Yonghwa is Uncle Jonghyun’s living legacy. We want to honor him. To show that all his works have not been in naught,” Jungshin explained.

“Does Yonghwa know the full extent of what happened and what may happen to him? I thought we agreed to keep quiet about Yonghwa. Isn’t it why you told Jinwoon to call my father first before taking him to the hospital?” Ilwoo asked.

“We’re not showcasing him to the world yet. I want to study it first and then I will decide if I will keep it a secret or not. Yonghwa knows my plan. I talked to him about it and he offered his help,” Jungshin answered. He took notice of the complete seriousness on the two’s faces.

“Does he know about the side effects?” Inguk asked. He was startled by Jungshin’s explanation and Yonghwa’s eagerness to help him.

“He doesn’t. I haven’t had a chance to talk to him about it. Have you talked to him about it?” Jungshin asked.

“We haven’t too. We wanted to make sure of it first. We don’t want to scare him,” Ilwoo answered. Jungshin nodded in understanding. “Then I won’t say anything to him. Let’s look into it first and decide later.”

“Does that mean you’ll help us?” Inguk asked. Ilwoo too looked at Jungshin seriously waiting for his answer.

“I’m in. This is for my uncle as much as for Yonghwa,” Jungshin said. Ilwoo stood up and offered to shake Jungshin’s hands. Jungshin received it with a smile.

“That’s too formal,” Inguk commented. He stood up and put his arm around Jungshin and his other arm around Ilwoo. “We’re a team now. Let’s do our best!” he shouted, jumping in excitement. Ilwoo just shook his head out of Inguks’s grasp but the latter held on while he continued to jump enthusiastically.

---------------------------------------

“Here, try this Oppa,” Eunji offered a cup of Iced Americano to me while I was sitting quietly. Both of us are in Gimpo airport waiting for our scheduled flight to Jeju for our MT.  All club members are scattered over the waiting room and lounges, chatting with their friends. Everyone is obviously excited with the MT as it is the first time that all clubs in SNU gathered in one outing.

I took the cup and drank it, enjoying its flavor and the effect it has on my body. “This is good,” I commented while I continue to drink from the cup. Kyuhyun spotted us and walked towards in our direction.

“Everything’s alright here?” Kyuhyun asked, looking at Eunji and I. “Where’s Jinwoon and Jungshin? They said that they’ll come when I invited them,” he added.

“Jungshin has an important meeting while Jinwoon is still on duty but they said that they’ll follow and just meet us in Jeju,” Eunji answered. She too is sipping an Iced Americano on her hands. “How about Yoona and Seohyun?” Kyuhyun asked.

“They’re on their way. Both of them are coming together,” I answered Kyuhyun’s question before going back to my Americano. Kyuhyun left us, satisfied with our answers to his inquiries, to check the other club members.

“Unnie-deul!” Eunji squealed a minute later and ran towards Seohyun and Yoona. She stood in the middle of the two and linked both her arms with each arms of Yoona and Seohyun after hugging them. I heard Eunji exclaimed how excited she is with this MT. The three walked towards me and I greeted them warmly, giving Seohyun an extra smile which was reciprocated by her.

“Okay guys listen up!” Kyuhyun said in a loud voice, successfully getting the attention of all the students. “We’ll use the buddy system and I’ll announce your partners!” Then he started calling names after names.

“Jung Yonghwa!” I heard Kyuhyun calling my name then, “Seohyun!” I looked at Seohyun and saw her looking at me too. I smiled at her, relieved that she’s my buddy and not someone I don’t know.

“Sunbae-nim!” one male student called Kyuhyun’s attention. “Do we have to share the same room with our buddy?” he asked, which were followed by catcalls and whistles from the other guys and small protests from the girls.

“Of course not! Room assignments are already arranged. Boys will be with boys and girls will be with girls. There will be a room coordinator in each room. You will report on your room coordinator and the room coordinators will report to us. For all of our activities, you’ll be with your buddy. For when it’s time to sleep, you’ll report with your room coordinators. The rest of your time will be decided by you. You can spend it however you like. Just make sure to report to us before you go somewhere so that we will know where to find you,” Kyuhyun explained. “Now, come and get your tickets from your club presidents and we’ll go inside now.”

Each student went to their president while the four of us went to Kyuhyun to get our tickets. “Here, let me get that,” I said to Seohyun, taking her luggage from her.

“Ani, I’m fine Oppa. It’s not that heavy,” she said, holding on to her bag.

“I’m your buddy so let me help you with your bag. It looks heavy to me,” I offered again. I successfully got her bag and carried it with my bag.

“Ah cham!” she huffed at my side. I beamed at her and tousle the top of her hair. “Oppa stop it,” she said, moving away from me to avoid my hands.

“Fine, I’ll stop,” I said, placating her. I held her wrist and pulled her closer to me. “Let’s go,” I said. We walked to the boarding area side by side with me still holding her wrist. Now if I can just lower my hand and hold her hand instead of her wrist then I’ll be immensely happier.  I sigh with myself and decided to just enjoy the moment. I should be glad that she didn’t take her arm away from my hold.

Seeing as we are partners, she happened to be my seatmate as well, once again making me relieved and content. I arranged our bags and settled on our seats. Seohyun is talking with Yoona and Eunji about some girl things so I decided to just sit first and wait for the take off.

While I was sitting, staring at the small window on my side I had a chance to contemplate on certain things. From the moment I closed my eyes, ready to be frozen over up to the moment I stared at Seohyun’s eyes on stage when we were performing the last stage of the festival and fireworks were up in the air illuminating her beautiful face.

I knew at that moment that I fell in love. Again. For the second time. In my second life. I knew that if I continue pursuing my feelings for her, I will eventually hurt many people, first and foremost my family. However I also knew that I have only felt this way towards one person and how hard it was then to not acknowledge my feelings. To pretend that it is alright to be friends. I was in high school back then and I promised to never lie to myself about my own feelings.

Now as I start my second life, I want to continue being true to myself. I don’t want to change just for the sake of others. I want to live as myself. Love as myself. And my heart has already chosen. I tried fighting it. I tried staying away. I avoided her as much as possible. I ignored her and in the process hurting myself. But it also hurt her. Hearing her calling my name, seeing her so sad when asking me not to walk away from her again cemented my decision.

I’ll stay with her for as long as she’ll have me. Luckily, circumstances are in my favor as we began to spend time together. Seriously, it’s as if fate is pulling us closer together -

Fate.

I stopped myself. I never believed in things such as fate. I’m always certain that there’s no such thing and that I decide what will happen to my life. On the other hand, getting a second chance to live despite the circumstances, having to see my family again and especially meeting someone like Seohyun were not in my plan. I was ready to die back then yet I didn’t. If this is not fate then I don’t know what it is.

“Why so serious?” Seohyun asked me as she sat beside me. I smiled at her and helped her get settled. “Oppa, I asked you why you were looking so intensely at the plane window?” she asked again. I remained silent but apparently Seohyun would have none of it. She poked my side, surprising me. “Oohh, I didn’t know you were ticklish,” she smirked at me when I moved my body away from her hands.

“Stop it,” I said with my serious expression but she ignored me and tried to poke my side again. I held both of her hands to stop her yet she kept on wriggling away and trying to tickle me. I used my other hand to retaliate but she continued to dodge my attack while managing to successfully attack me as well. “Yah! Ah! Stop!” I gasp in between words to take a breather then I attempt to stop myself from laughing because of her attacks. Meanwhile, Seohyun is enjoying herself while she tickled me to death.

I leaned towards her and wrapped my arms around her shoulders and used my other arm to pin down both her hands, effectively stopping her. I didn’t notice the close proximity between our faces until she stopped moving. I looked at her and saw her staring at me, both of our faces inches from each other and our eyes gazing at each other.

I was reminded of that time when she kissed me in front of Hakyeon and his friends. My gaze dropped from her eyes to her lips and I saw her biting her lower lip. I groaned inwardly, stopping myself from moving closer and erasing the short distance between our lips.

I heard someone whistles at us and I looked at the direction of the sound. I saw some students staring at us, some smirking obviously enjoying the show and some giving a thumbs-up sign in approval. I also noticed Hakyeon, at the other side of the plane, glaring at me.

I looked back at Seohyun and saw her following my gaze. When she noticed the people staring at us, she straightens her back and fixes her hair. She also moved slightly away from me. I let her sit comfortably while I crossed my arms on my chest, missing the warmth emanating from her body when I held her. I cleared my throat and offered a small smile to her which she returned, effectively easing my nerves.

We settled on our seats and tried to relax and enjoy the flight. The takeoff signal started and a few minutes later, we were up in the air en route to Jeju. “Oppa, everything ok?” she asked me after a few minutes of silence.

“Of course, why? Is there something wrong?” I asked her. I turned my body slightly to face her and she did the same. “It’s just that you’re quiet today more than usual,” Seohyun said, offering her observation. “It’s fine. I’m just doing some thinking,” I reassured her. I tap her shoulder softly to assure her.

“What are you thinking?” she asked again. She leaned her head on the seat while still facing me. I beamed at her adoringly while I continue to softly tap her shoulders. “Just some things. Random things,” I answered her. She held her hand in front of when she yawned. “Sleepy?” I asked her. She nodded in response. “I slept late because of Yoona. We slept at her house and I helped her to pack her things.”

“That must have been exciting,” I commented. Seohyun shook her head in disagreement. “Aniya, it was tiring,” she said before yawning again. I put my hand on top of her head and leaned it towards my shoulder. “Here, you can sleep on it,” I offered.

She lifted her head back and looked at me. “Why?” I asked her. She moved her lips to say something but she stopped and just shook her head. “Aniya. Thanks Oppa,” she said. She slowly put her head on my shoulder. Meanwhile, I am smiling like crazy when her head touched my shoulders. I stopped from chortling with giddiness and forced myself to remain calm. I leaned on my back and settled on my seat. “Comfortable?” I asked her. “Ne,” she answered softly before falling in slumber.

A few minutes later, I checked to see if she’s really sleeping. I turn slowly to look at her face and saw her relaxed features in deep sleep. I carefully lean my head on top of hers and tried to sleep as well.

----------------------------------

Jinwoon just entered his room when his phone suddenly rang and saw Jungshin’s name flashing on his screen. “Hello?” he answered before he sat on his bed. “Where are you?” Jungshin asked on the other line. Jinwoon took some things in his bag and laid it on his bed. “I’m at home. I’m arranging my things for later,” he said, answering Jungshin’s question. “How about you?” he asked back.

“I just got home too. Where will we meet? Can we just meet at the airport?” Jungshin asked him. JInwoon put his phone on speaker mode so that he can continue with what he is doing while talking to Jungshin.

“Let’s just meet at Jeju airport,” Jinwoon teased Jungshin. He went to his closet to get some clothes when he spotted his family picture on his study table. There he can see his parents, Ilwoo Hyung, him and Eunji. A thought crossed his mind and he quickly went to his father’s office. He stopped in front of his dad’s table and noticed the pictures there. He checked the shelves for their family album when suddenly the door opened.

“Jinwoon? What are you doing here?” his mother asked Jinwoon, who is currently checking the pictures one by one. “Jung Jinwoon,” Boa called her son again. Jinwoon looked up and saw his mom. “Dad’s planning on introducing Yonghwa on Christmas party, right?” he asked. His mom nodded, “Yes, he originally wanted to do it last board meeting but I changed his mind. I told him it would be better to do it in a party. In that way, it won’t look like we’re simultaneously announcing his involvement in the hospital.”

“But what about our pictures?” Jinwoon asked. Boa frowned at her son, unable to understand what he’s trying to say. “Of course there will be pictures taken there. It’s a party,” she answered. “I mean Yonghwa’s pictures. We don’t have a family photo with him. What if someone looks for it?” Jinwoon explained.

“I don’t think someone would be interested in doing a background check,” Boa said but with clear doubts in her sentence. “We won’t know but it’s better to be ready. We can’t be complacent,” Jinwoon said. “After all, we’re leading in the medical technology here in Korea and we’re also expanding our business. I’m sure not everyone likes it.”

“You’re right but how will we include Yonghwa into our pictures? Do you know someone who can do that?” Boa asked her son. “I’ll do it myself. I know how to edit pictures. Do you have Yonghwa’s childhood pictures?” Jinwoon offered. He put their family album on the shelf.

“I’ll ask your Dad when he gets home later,” Boa said. “Let’s go. Aren’t you supposed to be in Jeju?” she asked Jinwoon.

“I’m packing when I suddenly thought of Yonghwa’s pictures. Omma, ask Dad to give me all of Yonghwa’s pictures. I will need his teenage pictures as well as college pictures,” Jinwoon said while he led his mother out of his father’s office.

“Alright. When you arrive in Jeju, please look after your sister,” Boa reminded Jinwoon. Jinwoon rolled his eyes. “Omma, Eunji is a grown woman. She can take care of herself.”

“But I can’t help but get worried. Promise me you’ll look after her? Don’t spend all of your time with Seohyun. I know you, Jung Jinwoon” Boa asked Jinwoon and at the same time.

“I promise. If that’s what will make you at ease, I’ll check on Eunji from time to time. However, I can’t help it if Eunji is with Seohyun. I might have to spend my time with them,” Jinwoon said, casually shrugging his shoulders.

Boa smirked at his excuses. “You’re so whipped and you’re not even together yet,” she said while reaching for his head to shuffle his hair. “Have you even confessed yet?” Boa asked.

“I’m waiting for her to be ready. I’m working on it Mom,” Jinwoon assured her. He tapped her mother’s hands that were holding his right arm.

“Fine. Your father and I will wait for you to introduce Seohyun to us as your girlfriend,” Boa teased Jinwoon. Together they left the office and went on their own rooms.

-------------------------------------------------

Events left and right, scheduled games and tours and a lot more team building activities are what greeted us upon arriving in Jeju. Free time? There’s no such thing. The only time we’re free based on the scheduled paper given by Kyuhyun was when we have to eat and even that is inside the hotel.

I am staring at the schedule when I heard Yoona said, “I think we were fooled by Kyuhyun Sunbae.” I looked at her and offer a small smile then I shift my eyes to Eunji who was pouting and frowning at her schedule too. Someone poked me and took my schedule. I glance at Seohyun comparing my schedule to hers. She faced me and beamed at me, “At least we have the same schedules with Eunji and Yoona.” I can’t help but gaze at her and return her infectious smile.

“But I thought we will have time to explore Jeju by ourselves. Kyuhyun Sunbae is a con artist,” Eunji exclaimed, stomping her feet in the process. Yoona nodded her head in agreement. “I want to enjoy the sea and eat lots of seafood gathered by female divers. I want to eat tangerines and walk around the canola blossoms,” Yoona stated.

“How about you Seohyun? Where will you want to go?” I asked her.

“I want to see Halla Mountain, Manjanggul Cave and the Yeomiji Botanical Garden,” she answered. “How about you Oppa?” she asked in return.

I thought for a while before giving her my answer. “I want to climb Yongnuni Oreum and visit Cheonjeyeon waterfalls.”

“I want to visit the Architecture 101 café and the Teddy Bear Museum,” Eunji whined. I looked again at our schedule and said to her, “Teddy Bear Museum is included in our sight-seeing activity tomorrow.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter