Chapter 6

In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

“...some things are better left in the past. And true things are destined to repeat themselves.”  - Suzanne Young, The Program

The sound of chairs scraping roused me from my thoughts. Another class is finished. I never thought that I'll be finishing med school in the 21st century. I always thought that I would be a doctor when that time comes but here I am now. My early 20's started in 1970's while my mid 20’s are happening now in 2013 when it was supposed to be my mid 60's already. Really, what a strange world!

After my class, I went straight to the library to read some books. As I enter the library I was once again surprised by how vast the differences then and now. I vividly remember that the library back then was full of rows of rows of books with rows of rows of tables for the students. The books and tables were still there but instead of books, most of the students were busy with their laptops and cellphones. The books that were with them are ignored while they busily typed on their gadgets. I am still having a hard time adjusting to these technological changes.

I walked towards the librarian, "Excuse me Ma’am. Can you tell me where can I find the library catalogs? I need some books for my class." The librarian looked at me from her work and pointed at the side, “The library catalogs are there but I suggest you used the directory system instead for faster search of the books. Other students don't use the catalogs anymore," then she pointed at the box like device besides the library catalogs. I thanked her and walked to the device. I stand in front of the supposed directory system, confused as to how to use it. It looks like a monitor for a computer but that's it. There is no keyboard where I can type or the thing they called mouse which is used to select the things in the screen. I frowned looking at the device. I tried looking at the librarian but she seems to be busy with her work. Other students are minding their own businesses while I stand all by myself trying hard not to appear stupid in front of an unknown device.

"Yonghwa Oppa?" someone tapped my shoulders and I turned to see who it is. There she is, standing beside me, the one person that gives me a hard time adjusting in this generation without her knowing it. Seohyun-ssi. If I believe in reincarnation, I would have thought that Seohyun is the reincarnation of my then girlfriend. Imagine my surprise when I thought that the last moment I had with Joohyun was in that cursed hospital right before I close my eyes to sleep for a year, only to wake up with seeing another Joohyun in a different time. Although I perfectly know that it is really not Joohyun herself. As much as Seohyun looks a lot like her I still can't help but noticed their differences. Joohyun is shy and reserved while Seohyun is cheerful and outgoing. Plus I don't believe in reincarnation and other similar voodoos anyway. So I just remind myself that the person standing now in front of me is not and will never be the love of my life.

"Oppa?" Seohyun called me with her hands waving in front of my face. "Are you alright?" she asked me. "Yes. I'm fine. What are you doing here?" I asked her nervously. She had been on my mind ever since I met her. I am constantly wondering where she is, when will I see her again and most importantly who she is. I was tempted a lot of times to ask Jinwoon about her but I stopped myself thinking that it would be weird. Now here she is, the very person who's been in my mind lately standing beside me and talking to me.

“I need to find a book for one of my subjects. How about you?” I heard her said. “I’m looking for a book too but..." I replied then I hesitated when I remember my predicament with the device.

"Would you like me to help you with the directory?" she asked me to which I agreed readily. "Yes please," I said. I can't help but smile at her and so I did.

After successfully learning how to operate the device, we got our books and head out to Seohyun’s favorite café. She mentioned that this café is where she usually hangs out with Yoona, Jinwoon and Jungshin, her other friend. We were sitting in a quiet corner of the shop, both reading our borrowed books from the library when I noticed her bookmark. ‘Yesterday is a history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift of God which is why we call it a present.’ “That’s nice,” I said, motioning for the bookmark. “You think so?” she asked smiling at the bookmark. “It’s my motto,” she said, giving the bookmark to me. “It’s a good motto,” I uttered, looking closely at the words written in it.

“What’s yours?” she asked. I looked at her, confused at what she said. “Your motto, I mean.”

“Ahhh. People with good hearts are life’s ultimate winner,” I answered.

“Really?” I nod once to answer her question. “My mom used to say the same thing,” Seohyun said.

“Your mom must be a good person,” I gave back the bookmark to her. “I’d love to meet her.” Seohyun just smiled sadly. “I’m sorry. Is that weird?” I asked her seeing as she became uncomfortable with what I said.

“No, of course not,” she replied, shaking her head for emphasis. “She studied here in Seoul University too. In the Music Department and you’re right, she was a good person. She’s the best, actually.”

“Where is she?” I asked. She looked at me and then looked at the sky. “Up there,” she said. When I realized what she meant, I quickly apologize. “It’s fine. It was a long time ago.”

“How about your dad? What does he do?” I asked again, trying to change the mood of our conversation. “He used to be a performer, a violinist. He’s up there too.” Seohyun said looking at the sky again. “I’m sorry again for being tactless,” I apologizes again.

“It’s fine. You didn’t know,” she replied, assuring me that’s she really is alright. “My mom died of cancer and my dad died from an accident. I still have my older brother, though. He is a doctor in Seoul University Hospital.” Seohyun said, revealing her family history. “It’s weird telling you all this. I don’t normally share this with people,” she remarked.

“I see. I apologize once again for prying.” I said. “I told you it is fine. You didn’t force me to talk. Besides, I feel comfortable telling you this. But now that you know my family history, it’s my turn to ask questions,” she said while looking at me. “What would you like to know? You know all about my family already,” I commented. “You’re right but there are still a lot of things I can ask you about,” she agreed, leaning forward and smiling sweetly at me. Looking at her smile that way, I was momentarily blinded by her eyes and facial expression. It is as if I am looking at Joohyun instead of Seohyun. The times I saw and made Joohyun beamed with happiness and flashing that sweetly smile passes quickly right in front of me, freezing me on the spot. They have the same kind of smile. The smile that Joohyun uses whenever she wants something or needs to ask a favor from me, Seohyun has that smile and I’m looking into it right now.

“Yonghwa Oppa? Oppa?” Seohyun nudged my hand and waved her other hand in front of my face. “Still there, Oppa?” I quickly nod and reluctantly gave her a smile to show that I am ok. “Do we need to go to a doctor?” she suggested, looking at me intensely. She is obviously worried, wearing a frown on her face. “I’m really alright.” I find her frowning face cute so I gave her two thumbs up, assuring her. “What did you say earlier? Before I blanked out?” I asked her, changing the topic. She heaved a sigh of relief and let the matter slide.

“I said that you must be a very good friend,” she said a moment later. “Huh? Why would you think that?” I asked her, perplexed at her words. “I mean, you must be a good friend to agree to be a test subject. I heard Jungshin mentioned that his uncle’s experiment has zero percent of success yet you agreed to be in it,” she explained. She is staring at me seriously with obvious curiosity written on her face. “I won’t say I’m a good friend. I have my own reasons as to why I agreed to be a test subject,” I replied.

“How did being frozen in forty years felt like?” she asked. She put both her elbows on top of the table and rests her head on her palms. “Cold. I didn’t expect to be put to sleep for forty years,” I replied. “But you could have died,” she commented. “I was hoping for that, actually,” I whispered silently. “What did you say?” she asked, not hearing what I uttered. “Nothing,” I said. “I trust Jonghyun. I wouldn’t be here if not for him.” I responded before drinking my coffee.

-----------

“How is it?” I asked Ilwoo, Yunho hyung’s oldest son. I just finished my monthly check-up and now I’m waiting for the results. “Based on the chart, you’re perfectly healthy but we still want to monitor it for a few months more to make sure. I also want to consult a friend of mine if that is ok with you, Samchun,” Ilwoo said after looking at my charts. “Sure. No problem with me, hyung,” I said smiling at him and subtly reminding him of our predicament.

“Right, sorry about that,” Ilwoo apologizes. “It’s fine,” I assured him. “I better get used to it. We wouldn’t want unnecessary complications. We need to be careful, Yonghwa-yah,” he said. “Can you go home now?” I asked him. “I can’t. I’m in the night shift today,” Ilwoo said, scratching his head. “Sorry to hear that. Himnae!” I said patting his shoulder and giving him encouragement. “Let me walk you out,” he offered.

We were walking towards the lobby when we heard someone calling for us. “Hyung! Ilwoo-hyung!” We saw Jinwoon running to us. “Are you both going home?” he asked. “Ani, I was just walking Yonghwa out. You?” Ilwoo asked. Jinwoon gave us a wicked smile. “My supervisor let me go home early today,” he said. “Woah! Lucky you!” Ilwoo exclaimed. “I’m on night shift today,” he added. Jinwoon and I just laugh at Ilwoo’s expression.

“Samchun, let’s go home,” Jinwoon said turning to me. “Sure!” I agreed. “Yah! Someone might hear you,” Ilwoo admonishes Jinwoon. “Oops! Sorry!” Jinwoon said still with his smiling face. I laugh at the two brothers. “Let’s go, Jageun-hyung. Good luck on your shift Keun-hyung,” I said.

“Keure, drive safely Jinwoon-ah,” Ilwoo said before going back inside the hospital. “Let’s go, maknae ahdeul,” he said smiling at me. We walked to the parking lot for Jinwoon’s car. “You should ask Appa for a car, Samchun,” Jinwoon said while driving. “You would need it while studying,” he added. “I pre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter