Chapter 5

In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5

A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. - Jean de La Fontaine  

Seohyun and Yoona look at Eunji, amused at how excited she is as she tells them the recent events that happen in her family.

“You should see how happy Dad is. I haven’t seen him smile like that since ever!” Eunji exclaimed.

“You’re not supposed to tell us this, Eunji. Remember, this is a family secret. Your family secret!” I reminded the younger girl.

“But you’re the one who helped him first. You saw him first so that point is moot. Besides, you’re basically part of the family and who knows, you might be one in the near future,” Eunji said obviously teasing me.

“So how is he? Tell us more,” Yoona said, smiling knowingly at me.

“Well, he is so old fashioned. Earlier, I shouted his name while running in the hallway and he said that I should not be doing that. He said it’s not proper for a “lady” like me,” Eunji said.

“Lady? Who? You?” Yoona teased.

“I know right! At home, he is sooo proper and always gentle. It’s like having another dad minus the wrinkles and old face.”

“You just said your dad is full of wrinkles and old. I don’t think Uncle Yunho will like that,” Yoona commented.

“That is beside the point. Anyway, it’s not like you would tell him.” The three of them laughed out loud.

“So, where is he?” I asked after a while.

“He is in Medicine Building, studying,” Eunji said while looking at her watch. “Crap, I need to go!” Eunji stand up and quickly put her things in her bag.

“Where are you going? We have our club meeting in 30 minutes,” Yoona reminded her.

“I know. I’ll be there. I have a new recruit and I need to go to him,” Eunji said before running away.

“New recruit?” I asked Yoona.

“And it is a ‘HIM’” Yoona said raising her eyebrows. I laughed at her and looked to where Eunji has run.

---------------------

I stood outside waiting for Eunji to pick me up. She is running late as I look around and found not even a sight of her wavy hair. People look at me as they pass me by. I noticed since I introduced myself earlier in one of my class, all of the students are looking at me weirdly. Or am I just being paranoid?  I think that my first day of class went well considering the circumstances. Still, others’ looks on me is making me very uncomfortable.

“Oppa! Yonghwa Oppa!” I heard Eunji’s voice calling me before I saw her. Honestly, why did she inherit her mom’s height and not her dad’s? I saw her running towards me so I smiled and walked to her direction.

“Hurry up, Oppa! We will be late!” Eunji took my hands and pulled me into running with her.

“Why are we running? Eunji, slow down,” I said trying to slow her.

“Today is our club meeting and we can’t be late. There is a punishment if we are late,” Eunji explained, still running making me run with her.

“Ahrasseo! If that is the case then let’s go!” I said pulling her while I run faster, laughing at my supposed to be little sister.

We run towards the Music Department building with Eunji constantly saying ‘Hurry up’. I frown thinking how bad it will be if we were late. As we were approaching the club room, I noticed that my shoe laces were untied so I stopped and motion for Eunji to go ahead. I bend down to tie it when two girls past by me, running towards the room. I stood up and walked towards the room. I entered the room and stood with Eunji at the back.

“Welcome members! So! Who are the last two people who entered our magic door?” The guy who I assumed is the club president asked while he rubs both of his hands together in anticipation.

“Kyuhyun Sunbae, it is Seohyun and the new guy,” said the girl upfront.

“Ohh, we have a new member. Too bad he’s late,” said the president whose name is Kyuhyun. “Who invited you to join?” he asked looking directly at me.

“I did, Sunbae. He is my older brother, Jung Yonghwa,” Eunji said, interrupting me from speaking.

“Oh, really? I thought you only have two older brothers,” Kyuhyun said, smiling at them.

“Nope. I have three. He just came back from US.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Jung Yonghwa. It’s nice meeting you and I apologize for my tardiness,” I said, finally introducing myself.

“It’s alright but even though you’re a newbie, you still need to follow our rules on latecomers. I’m Cho Kyuhyun, by the way, the club president here,” Kyuhyun said, introducing his self.  “So Eunji, you and your brother will be assigned to the cleaning duties for a month. That is the rule for being late at the first club meeting,” Kyuhyun said addressing the whole club.

“But Sunbae, I am not late. I was saved by the bell,” Eunji said.

Kyuhyun looked back at them, particularly Eunji.

“She is right Sunbae. Eunji came at exactly 7:30, same with Yoona,” the girl who I think is the secretary informed Kyuhyun.

“Then who is the other one? You said there are two latecomers,” Kyuhyun asked the club secretary.

“It is Seohyun, Sunbae,” the secretary answered, pointing at the girl in front of me.

“Ne, Kyuhyun Sunbae. I’m the other latecomer,” said the girl in front of me. I stared at her back while Eunji whispered to me. “You’re lucky it is Seohyun Unnie, Oppa. She is really nice.”

“Shouldn’t you say that you are lucky that it is the other girl that will help me clean? I know you hate cleaning. You can’t even clean your own room according to Hyungsoonim,” I .

“FYI, I clean my room. Occasionally. Besides, that is what maids are for. To help me clean. Also, Umma is just exaggerating,” Eunji said, emphasizing the word Umma and staring at him for his mistake.

“Sorry, my mistake.  Listen to the club president,” I said grinning at her.

The guy named Kyuhyun went back in front and addressed all of us. “So guys, now that the semester has started, we also have a lot of things to do here.” He continued to explain all the other club activities that we need to do. In that time, Eunji pulled me beside her two friends.

“Seohyun Unnie, this is your cleaning partner, Yonghwa Oppa. And that girl beside her is Yoona Unnie,” Eunji introduced me to the girls.

The moment that my cleaning partner looked at me, I felt the entire world shifted. There she is, standing in front of me. The same face, same body built, same long and shiny hair and most of all, those same sparkling bright eyes that always seem like reaching into my soul whenever I stare at it.

I didn’t hear her words. I didn’t understand a thing she is saying. Even the discussion that is happening around us became silent. All I did was look at her. All I did was gaze at her.

Seo Joohyun is standing before me but she is no longer Seo Joohyun. The person with the same face as the love of my life turns out to be a completely different person.

-------------------

I spotted Jinwoon Oppa the moment Yoona Unnie and I exited the building. He was standing there waiting at the front door.

"Oppa! How nice! Did you come to send me home? You shouldn't have! Yonghwa Oppa and I are fine," I said as I got closer to him.

"Where is Seohyun?" Jinwoon Oppa asked, not looking at me and straining his neck to see the people passing by, obviously looking for Seohyun Unnie.

"Nice to see you too, Oppa. Here I thought you were being a considerate brother, fetching me and stuff. I got touched for nothing," I grumbled clearly showing my annoyance.

“Of course I'm here to take you home you little rascal. I'm just surprised not to see Seohyun with you," Jinwoon said while messing the top of my head. I step away from him, making my hair out of his reach.

"Seohyun was late so she was assigned to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter