Chapter 1

In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There is no such thing as accident; it is FATE misnamed. – Napoleon Bonaparte

1972, Seoul

I have always believed that I have everything in my life under my command. I am the master of my fate. I control my destiny. I chose to be what I aspire. I do not settle. I protect my love ones. I, alone, decide on what I should become. I have my principles and my own set of beliefs.  The path that I take is the one that I designed myself. My life’s director is none other than me and no one else. I didn’t realize how wrong I was until it happened.

My name is Jung Yonghwa and this is my story.

-------------------

It was a chilly autumn night and I was walking in a park. I just got out of my own celebratory party for finishing college and successfully entering one of the prestigious medical schools in Seoul. It is none other than Seoul National University Medical School. I thought that entering the College of Medicine in Seoul National University was the best thing that happened to me since meeting Joohyun but also entering the medical school is in a whole different level of happiness.  I am deliriously giddy with what is happening in my life. I feel that I am on the top of the world and that I can do anything. In fact, I am planning to do everything.

“What are you thinking?” Joohyun asked, as she tugged my hand to get my attention. I look at her and smile. “Nothing. I’m just being happy,” I answered. She smiled at me and once again I am blinded by it. Seo Joohyun, my girlfriend for four years, my first love, my inspiration, my everything. I can do anything that I want, be anyone that I want as long as she is by my side. I’ve known her since we were in high school. We were classmates, then close friends and in our high school graduation, I plucked up all of my courage and confessed to her.  Luckily, she accepted and we’ve been together since then.

Joohyun also graduated from college today. She majored in Instrumental Music in Seoul National University too. She is an aspiring pianist and a very famous one in our university. Lots of guys like her and I am thankful that I became her boyfriend before she got to college. I didn’t know what to do if I’m not. Even now and throughout our college, I’ve been warding off those guys. This girl didn’t even know the effect she has on people.

“I’m so proud of you,” Joohyun said, holding his hands tightly as we continue our walk. “Thank you,” I replied. “I wouldn’t have done it without you. You’re my energy pill, remember?” I pulled her closer and lightly kissed the top of her head.

“I met Yuri Unnie today,” Joohyun said after a short silence.

“Really? How? I thought she would be with Seulong all day,” I asked. Yuri is Joohyun’s best friend. They met in college together with Seulong who is Yuri’s boyfriend. Yuri and Seulong are both in vocal department and Joohyun met them in one of her subjects. They talked and instantly liked each other.

“Oh, I saw her before she went to meet Seulong Oppa,” Joohyun answered. Joohyun is smiling cryptically and it is making me nervous. ‘Did Yuri say something about me?’ I keep thinking if I did something wrong lately.

“What did she say?” I asked, masking my nervousness. Joohyun is still smiling with that cryptic smile and it is not helping my nerves at all.

“She met Seulong Oppa yesterday, right after the graduation ceremony,” Joohyun started saying excitedly. I led her to sit on one of the benches. Once we were settled, she faced me and continued her story. “So they went to a restaurant. You know those romantic ones where you need to reserve your seats first. The expensive ones,” Joohyun described while I nodded to show that I know what she is talking about.

“Joohyun-ah, I brought you to one of those restaurants too, remember?” I asked her. I still don’t get it. So Yuri and Seulong went to a date after graduation. No big deal. I arranged a graduation party that we just attended today but why is Joohyun so thrilled with a simple graduation dinner that Seulong prepared?

“That is not the point. Will you let me continue Oppa?”

“Ahrasseo. I’ll listen,” I said pacifying her by tapping her hands lightly.

“So they were eating and Yuri Unnie thanked Seulong Oppa for the graduation dinner but then Seulong Oppa said that it’s not a graduation dinner…”

“It’s not? Then what is it?” I interrupted but when I saw Joohyun’s look I faltered. “Ahrasseo, ahrasseo. I’ll listen.”

“… ah cham, Oppa!”

“Mianhe, I’ll behave now.”

Joohyun looked at me as if daring me to interrupt her story again. I put my finger over my mouth and ran it from one end to the other showing a close mouth. She smiled at my crazy gesture.

 “So back to what I’m saying, Seulong Oppa said that it’s not a graduation dinner. Yuri Unnie asked what the dinner is for.  Just then, Seulong Oppa took out a bouquet of roses and gave it to Unnie. On top of the roses, there is a ring on it,” Joohyun eagerly said. I think she saw my confused face so she literally spelled it out for me. “Seulong Oppa asked Yuri Unnie to marry her! Isn’t it exciting?” Joohyun asked, shaking my right thigh with both of her hands.

“That’s it?” I stupidly asked, releasing a sigh of relief and realized a second too late. Joohyun’s face went from being happy to being disappointed in a matter of seconds.

“Mianhe. I thought you’ll be happy too,” Joohyun said softly. She sat straight and faced forward, looking at nothing.

“Ani, I’m happy. I’m happy for them,” I said, trying to fix the awkward situation.

“You don’t sound happy,” Joohyun no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter