Chapter 13

In Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her. But once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards to win the game.” - Voltaire

Scottsdale, Arizona

Park Shinhye turned off her TV after watching a special report about the Christmas Gala and the charity project involved with Jung Medical Group. A few seconds of silence surrounded her apartment as she mulled about what she just watched. Jung Yunho, president of the Jung Medical Group just introduced his third son, Jung Yonghwa, surprising not just everyone involved in the health business in South Korea but also in the whole world. However, that is not the reason why Park Shinhye was shocked into silence. She stood up and reached for her phone. She dialed a number and after two rings, someone answered. “Mr. Kim, it’s me. I need to go to Seoul as soon as possible. Please prepare everything that I’ll need,” she ordered. She went back on her couch and stared at her blank TV when something caught her eye. It was her ID badge with Alcor’s logo. “Is the answer to my lifelong research resides in Korea?” she asked herself as she stared at her ID badge, a million thoughts running in her mind.

-------------------------------------

Seoul, South Korea

Jinwoon, Jungshin, Yoona and Eunji stared at Yonghwa and Seohyun as the two of them look at the shocked faces of their elders, waiting expectantly. “Did they just told our parents that they are dating?” Eunji asked, equally shocked and horrified as to what is to come after Yonghwa’s announcement.

“I think they just did,” Yoona remarked, having a new-found respect for Yonghwa’s bravery.

“They shouldn’t have done that,” Jungshin said before looking at Jinwoon. Jinwoon, on the other hand, recovered from his surprised and looked at the two miserably. His eyes met his mother’s eyes before he quickly looked away.

“Where are you going?” Jungshin asked when Jinwoon turned and started walking towards the exit.

“I’m leaving. I’ve done my part as a member of the family. There’s no reason for me to stay,” Jinwoon said sullenly before leaving the three of them. Jungshin followed him, offering his support for his best friend.

All of this were witnessed by Boa and Ilwoo, who upon hearing Yonghwa’s words, searched Jinwoon for his reaction. They saw the hurt that covered Jinwoon’s face before he left the party, followed by Jungshin. Meanwhile, Eunji and Yoona walked closer to their family. Eunji stood between Ilwoo and Inguk while Yoona went beside her mother.

“Yonghwa, can we talk privately?” Yunho seriously asked his brother after he recovered from shock.

“Hyung,” Yonghwa whispered, “I know that this is a surprise but-“

“Yes and I want to talk to you privately,” Yunho said, cutting whatever Yonghwa was trying to say. “Follow me,” he ordered before he walked away from them.

“Go, Yonghwa,” Ilwoo urged him to follow his father. Boa, too, nodded her head and looked at Yunho’s back as he walked, pushing Yonghwa to follow his brother.

Yonghwa squeezed Seohyun’s hand and smiled at her lovingly, “I’ll be back. Wait for me?” Yonghwa softly said to which Seohyun bobbed her head in assent. Yonghwa quickly followed Yunho after assuring himself that Seohyun is alright.

Seohyun watched Yonghwa walk until he disappeared as the door to where he and Yunho exited closed. She felt someone grab her elbow so she shifted her eyes and saw her brother. “I think it’s time to go Seohyun-ah,” Inguk said.

“But Oppa, I-“ Seohyun said but quickly stopped upon seeing Inguk’s stern face.

“Now, Seohyun-ah,” Inguk said as his hold on her tightened. “Hongki Samchun, Seulong Samchun, Yuri Imo, Boa Imo,” he addressed his elders, “Seohyun and I would be going now. Merry Christmas,” he told them. When all of them nod their heads letting them go, Inguk lead his sister towards the exit as well.

“What do we do Unnie,” Yuri asked Boa, still reeling from Yonghwa’s declaration. “Doesn’t he know,” she asked.

“We’ve told him that she survived and later died. That’s all we’ve told him,” Boa said while watching Inguk and Seohyun who were walking away.

“But this is just wrong on so many levels,” Yuri said. Yoona frowned, not understanding what her mother and Boa Imo were talking about. She turned to her sister but Soojung was looking confused herself.

“Maybe that’s true but we can’t really say as they’re not violating any rules whatsoever. He wouldn’t have known. If he did, he wouldn’t be with her,” Hongki commented. “And what about Jinwoon?” Lizzy added. All of them knew that Jinwoon has liked Seohyun for a long time.

“Poor Jinwoon. Poor Yonghwa and Seohyun as well. This is a mess Unnie,” Yuri remarked, stating the obvious.

“We’ll deal with it. We’ll get past this,” Boa said. Eunji walked to her mother and wrapped her arms on her shoulders, offering support despite not understanding the full meaning of what Yuri and Hongki had said. To her, she’s thinking that they were all just concerned on what will happen to Yonghwa, Seohyun and Jinwoon.

---------------------------

Yonghwa followed his brother inside nervously. Yunho waited for Yonghwa to enter the room before he closed the door quietly. “What is that all about?” Yunho asked in a calm demeanor but Yonghwa knew his brother very well. He knew that Yunho is just masking his real feelings by using the composed exterior.

“Hyung, I know this comes as a surprise –“

“Surprise? Try shocking as well,” Yunho said, interrupting Yonghwa’s explanation. “What the hell was that Yonghwa? You just got back from the dead. Last month you’re so depressed you can hardly function as a normal human being and now you’re telling me you have a girlfriend? That you and Seohyun are dating?”

“I know it looks bad from your perspective but Hyung you know me. Do I look like someone who will just casually date anyone? I seriously like her.”

“That’s not the problem. Yonghwa, you just got over Joohyun dying. You’re slowly building your life now and then suddenly you’re dating another girl? What do you think that looks like? Isn’t it unfair for Seohyun? Does she know that she’s your rebound relationship?”

“Rebound? What rebound relationship?” Yonghwa asked, perplexed at what Yunho said.

“That’s when someone immediately dates another just because he can’t deal with breaking up with his former girlfriend. That kind of relationship usually does not last long and it’s unfair for Seohyun to go through that,” Yunho said.

“Seohyun and I are not like that Hyung. You really think I’m just using her to forget Joohyun? Have you seen her? She looks so much like Joohyun. Why would I date someone who looks exactly like my ex-girlfriend if I will just use her to forget her? I’m not that kind of guy, Hyung. You think I didn’t think things through? I did. I tried to stop it first. I avoided her but this – “Yonghwa pointed at his heart. “This just won’t listen to me. I like her Hyung. I think I’m falling for her,” Yonghwa confessed, looking at his brother imploringly.

Yunho ran his hands on his hair in frustration. He can’t believe that Yonghwa will pull something like this. And of all people, with Seohyun as well. He looked at his brother and saw in his eyes that he’s serious with her and that made it harder for him. If Yonghwa knew who Seohyun is, he’ll be broken hearted once again and Yunho is not sure how he will help Yonghwa recover. He paced back and forth while Yonghwa sat, waiting for him to say something.

“I know this is not easy, with Jinwoon liking her too but Hyung, Jinwoon and Seohyun are just friends. They never had any kind of romantic relationship. I really like her and she likes me too. Please Hyung, can you let me be just this one time?” Yonghwa continued as he stared at his older brother imploringly.

Yunho released a deep sigh. He can see how determined Yonghwa is and that makes him more troubled. He continued pacing back and forth, trying to think of a solution to this predicament but nothing comes to him. He looked at his brother again and saw Yonghwa looking at him, waiting for his words.

“Yonghwa, you know I will do anything for you. You’re my only brother. I want you to be happy but what you’re asking me is too much. Don’t make me choose between you and my son. I beg you,” Yunho said before he made his way to the door, leaving Yonghwa alone in the room.

-----------------------------------

Jinwoon went to the nearest club, sat at one of the stools and ordered the bartender to keep the drinks coming. A while later, Jungshin sat beside him and stop him from drinking another glass. “You know doing this won’t solve your problem,” Jungshin said.

“I know. But it can make me forget. Even for a little while,” Jinwoon replied, taking the drink from Jungshin and downing it full.

“You’re better than this, Jinwoon. I know you’re better than this,” Jungshin said, consoling his friend. He, too waved at the bartender to give him some drinks.

“Jungshin-ah, it hurts. It really hurts,” Jinwoon whispered but Jungshin heard it all the same. He patted Jinwoon’s shoulder, trying to give comfort to his best friend while Jinwoon hang his head low. “You know what hurts the most?” Jinwoon looked at Jungshin who just stared back at him, waiting for him to continue. Waiting for him to let it all out. “I can’t be angry at them. I wanted to hate them. But I don’t have that right. I thought if I waited long enough, Seohyun will come to me. I thought she just needed time, that she just needed to grow and mature a little more. She’d never had a serious relationship or any kind of romantic relationship at all so I thought that maybe all we need is time, the right time for us but then Yonghwa came and everything changes.”

Jinwoon downed another glass of alcohol and poured another for himself. He drank glasses after glasses, drowning himself with alcohol while Jungshin looked after him. After finishing 3 bottles of alcohol, Jinwoon turned to Jungshin, looking at him with his glassy eyes. He is smiling but Jungshin knew better.

“Chingoo! My loyal best friend! What would I do without you?” Jinwoon slurred his words as he stood up and try to reach Jungshin to give him a hug. “Chingoo! Jungshin Chingoo!” he uttered repeatedly.

“I think we both know it’s time to go home now. Let’s go,” Jungshin commented, trying to control Jinwoon’s excessive movements due to his drunkenness. Jinwoon on the other hand, kept on laughing while he called for Jungshin repeatedly.

“Want to hear something funny?” Jinwoon asked as Jungshin successfully made him sit back. “They can’t even be together. If they know what I know, they can’t be together,” Jinwoon muttered over and over. “They can’t be. Dad won’t approve. I’m pretty sure Inguk hyung won’t either. And knowing Yonghwa, he won’t go through with it. He can’t,” Jinwoon mumbled. “Isn’t it funny? I’m hurting more because I know they’ll be hurt too. Everyone’s going to be hurting because they like each other. Because he was with her before. And she was her --  all of this is because of that crazy driver and your uncle’s crazy experiment.” Jinwoon laughed though it sounded empty in Jungshin’s ear. “Look how they screwed my family and Seohyun’s family! Damn them!” Jinwoon shouted, standing up and waving his arms. “Screw them all!” he yelled before collapsing on the chair and falling unconscious. Jungshin apologized to the nearby patrons who looked at the commotion that Jinwoon made. He paid for their bill and left the bar.

-------------------------------------

The moment Inguk closed the door after he and Seohyun entered their house, he went and questioned his sister. “Can you explain to me what happened back there?” He looked at Seohyun who in return stared back at him.

“I’m dating Yonghwa Oppa. We got close when we worked on our performance for the music club and things just happened naturally. As far as I’m concerned, I’m of age and can date whoever I want Oppa. What’s wrong with that?” Seohyun replied, taking the defensive route.

“You’re seriously asking me what’s wrong with that. Can’t you see how wrong it is? Yonghwa is Jinwoon’s uncle. Jinwoon has been in love with you since forever and now you’re telling me you’re dating his uncle. That’s what’s wrong,” Inguk replied, reminding Seohyun of her predicament.

“Jinwoon Oppa and I are just friends. Nothing more. We were never in any kind of romantic relationship and I’m free to date anyone,” Seohyun stubbornly argued back, her arms on her waist and her eyes glaring at her brother.

“Have some conscience Seohyun-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter