Chapter 10

Capture Me Yeobo

 

There’s something Jinki wasn’t telling Taemin. (To be fair, there were a lot of people not telling him a lot of things, but really, Jinki was the biggest issue at the moment.)

It wasn’t like Taemin was just realizing. He wished it was, but he knew that wasn’t the case. He’d known for a long time, but it was only now that he’d finally admitted it to himself.

At first, Taemin wrote it off as nothing. Jinki was allowed to go off sometimes, it wasn’t like Taemin didn’t trust him. It wasn’t like Taemin didn’t have secrets either. Even now, there were some things Taemin had yet to fully explain. He couldn’t expect Jinki to tell him everything when he himself was still afraid to do so.

Besides, he didn’t want to become overprotective and (god forbid) turn into Luhan, always obsessing over his lover’s every move.

However, it was starting to bother him. A secret was one thing, but the constant disappearances, the evasive attitude, the guilty look he always had... it was becoming too much for Taemin.

The frustration built up as time went on, and as per usual for when he worries, he began to spend way too much time thinking up explanations; some normal and some even Taemin knew were absurd.

What if he’s seeing someone?

What if he’s sick and dying of cancer, and every time he disappears, it’s to go to the hospital for treatment?

What if he’s seeing someone?

What if he’s an undercover spy, and his higher ups have been requesting meetings with him?

What if he’s seeing someone?

Taemin knew it was ridiculous. Jinki wasn’t one to be unfaithful, and besides, he was way too clumsy to be a spy anyways. Unless that was part of his cover. Taemin may need to look into that theory.

What if’s aside, the fact remained that Jinki was leaving often, and without a word, and it was starting to bother Taemin. A lot.

He didn’t want to be distrustful. He didn’t want to have to confront him about what was happening. He knew he couldn’t last much longer; he gave himself a week before he confronted the man. He just hoped Jinki would tell him before he had to.

Please, let Jinki tell him.

 

The notes that resonated from the piano sliced through the air, dark and tormented. Jinki’s emotions poured into the song as he played. All of his worries, his fears, his anger, came alive in the melody, so twisted it would drive anyone mad.

There were no lyrics, just a piece he composed as he played, random notes falling where they may. It was beautiful, yet terrifying, working its way in his bones and making him feel as if the music were playing him. As if he were the one being composed.

In a sudden fit, he slammed his hands down on the keys, the sudden cacophony of notes erupting from the piano breaking the chilling atmosphere. With a harsh sigh, he ran a hand through his hair, pulling on it as he did.

It was all just too much. The piano, Jessica, Minho. So many secrets building up one on top of each other until he felt like exploding. The stress was intensifying, and it was starting to show. He worried Taemin had even begun to notice, despite his attempts to hide it.

He wanted to tell Taemin, he really did. He hated keeping secrets from the dancer, felt sick to his stomach with guilt. He didn’t know what was holding him back... except he did.

He could imagine Taemin’s reactions to each lie he confessed. Taemin would be caring, understanding, would do whatever he could to help. And Jinki couldn’t have that.

He couldn’t let Taemin try to persuade him to go back to singing. He may be confident alone in this room, but outside he was terrified of playing a single note. There were still too many memories, and he’d strayed so far from the path to stardom he shuddered thinking of returning. Taemin, bright, dreamer Taemin, would never understand how Jinki could turn his back on something he loved so much. Jinki himself barely understood.

He couldn’t admit to meeting Minho. Above everything else, Taemin was protective, almost too much so, and learning of their encounter would break him. Jinki knew Taemin would rather die than return to Minho. But he would also do whatever it took to keep his loved ones safe, even if it meant going head to head with Minho himself. Jinki couldn’t let Taemin be forced to make that decision. Jinki could not let that happen.

He could tell Taemin about Jessica, he supposed. That was in the works, but he wasn’t sure how Taemin would react. Surely he would be happy to know that Jinki had more friends than just Jonghyun, but he was going to hate to see the look of sadness on his face when he realized that Jinki had still been keeping things from him.

He was going to have to let them meet soon though, Jessica and Krystal were both starting to get rather bothersome about meeting his other half.

It just wasn’t the time. Taemin was too stressed with the wedding and the concert, he didn’t need Jinki’s past to cause any more stress. He swore to himself he would tell Taemin everything, once life had calmed down. Just a little while longer.

Jinki’s phone buzzed, and he jumped in surprise. As he went to type in the passcode, he felt it vibrate twice more, signalling more texts. Confused, he looked at his messages to find three from an unknown number. Feeling vaguely sick, he opened up the messages and nearly dropped his phone in shock.    

On his phone were several grainy pictures, all looking as if they’d been taken without the people in each picture knowing. As if the photographer had been stalking them and taking them in secret.

The first one, Jonghyun with his head down as he left the practice building.

The second, Luhan and Minseok on a date, each holding a cup of bubble tea while they looked lovingly into each others’ eyes.

The third, Joon walking out of a convenience store with a frozen pizza box tucked under his arm.

As he scrolled through the pictures, two more messages came in, the phone buzzing angrily in his grip. With a sense of dread, he opened them, and once he saw them, he felt like collapsing.

Who first Jinki? Or should I just take my lovely Taemin now?

Below that was a picture of Taemin practicing, obviously taken through the window of the practice room door. Jinki noticed the loose white t shirt and skinny jeans Taemin was wearing, the exact clothes he saw on the younger an hour ago when they parted.

No.

Phone clenched tightly in hand, Jinki threw open the door and stumbled into the hallway, searching around wildly for some sign of the twisted man. Finding none, he ran to the practice room where Taemin and the others were rehearsing. His heart racing with fear, he peeked inside, scanning for his husband.

Finding no sign of him, Jinki began to panic, eyes flicking from corner to corner in a desperate search. With his hand on the door knob, ready to rush in to continue his search, he finally caught sight of the younger, chatting animatedly with another dancer. Jinki sunk to the floor, letting out a breath he hadn't known he'd been holding.

How long had Minho been there, watching Taemin, separated only by a door? How long had he been doing so, waiting for the day to finally make Jinki aware of his presence? And where was he now?

In a burst of adrenaline, Jinki stood back up and ran outside, looking for some glimpse of the tall, dark haired man. But this was Korea, and there were lots of tall, dark haired men, and Jinki wouldn’t be able to spot him even if he were 3 meters away.

Letting out a noise of frustration, Jinki headed back inside. Too shaken and paranoid to return  to his playing, he sat himself down beside the door, back resting against the cool wall. Jinki remained like that for the rest of the rehearsal, his eyes affixed to the door at the end of the hallway in case Minho decided to show up once again.

Jinki wasn’t sure how long he sat like that, maybe twenty minutes, maybe two hours. His eyes ached from concentrating on the door for so long, and his back was sore from remaining in the same position, but still, he did not move. Minho would not get near Taemin again, not if Jinki had anything to do with it.

“Hyung?” Taemin’s confused voice broke Jinki’s concentration. “What are you doing here already? How long have you been sitting there?” Taemin was looking down at Jinki oddly, head quirked to the side.

Jinki jumped to his feet and scrambled for an answer, stuttering. “Um- it’s because- I was just- I wasn’t here for long. Let’s go?”

A sudden need to feel closer to Taemin, he wrapped his arms his arms around the younger and pulled him flush against him, hugging him tightly.

“Hyung?” Taemin’s voice was soft, perplexed.  

“Just one moment.” Jinki replied, hugging him even tighter, reveling in the feeling of Taemin in his arms. His heart raced, realizing how close he may have just come to losing Taemin.

“Hyung, what’s going on with you?” There was confusion, but also worry in his voice, and Jinki hated that he was the cause of it.

“I just- it’s nothing. I just missed you  a bit.”

“What? Hyung I was only gone for a few hours-”

“I know.” Jinki whispered, pulling away slightly so he could look into Taemin’s eyes. “It’s... even three hours is sometimes too long... yeobo.” Jinki watched as Taemin visibly melted at those words, features softening.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you but... I love you.” Taemin kissed Jinki lightly before pulling himself from Jinki’s arms and taking hold of the elder’s hand.

“Let’s go home and relax, neh?” Jinki suggested, still trying to control his emotions so that he didn’t admit everything in one rushed confession.

“I’d like that.” Taemin said, and he smiled brightly, that eye smile Jinki had seen so rarely as of late, and Jinki’s heart nearly stopped from the beauty of it.

He would never let Minho have Taemin. Never.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slightly shorter update, sorry. I hope you enjoyed it, and as always, please comment, your comments really brighten up my day ^-^