Chapter 13

Capture Me Yeobo

 

“Hyung? What are we doing here?” Taemin questioned as Jinki led him towards the back, to the room he had been hiding away for the past few weeks.

Jinki pushed open the door and strode purposefully towards the piano, trying to ignore the butterflies in his stomach.

“Jinki?” Taemin called out the elder’s name in confusion as Jinki took a seat on the piano bench, pulling Taemin down beside him.

“Back when I wanted to be an idol, I used to practice here. This piano... I hadn’t played it for years. I don’t miss that road, I’ve given up on the spotlight. But this piano...” Jinki trailed off, unable to find the words, and instead switched topics. He hadn’t just come to show Taemin the piano and reminisce after all.

“I.... I meant to show you this, just not until later... it’s not finished yet but... I hope you’ll like it.”

Jinki settled his fingers lightly on the keys, taking a deep breath to steady his nerves. He gave Taemin a nervous smile, before focusing his attention on the piano

“Han, dul, set.”, he whispered, pressing his fingers down and beginning to play.

 

I wake up and open my sleepy eyes

It’ll be tomorrow in a little bit

I feel bad for letting the day pass by so fast

 

From the corner of his eye, he could see Taemin listening intently, face blank. Jinki swallowed hard and continued singing, losing himself in the lyrics of the song, remembering the emotions he felt when he originally wrote the song.

 

Time passes by hectically

Will we get so used to our fluttering feelings

That we’ll feel them as a definite thing?

I’m sad over pointless worries

Infrequent greetings

Actions that scarred softly

I didn’t mean to hurt you

I’m always sorry

Because you’ve always been there to protect me

Because you’ve taken the criticism that I should receive

You have shielded me without a word and now

I will reflect you like a mirror

Rewind the film of our memories

To the day we first met

My heart pounded, I couldn’t hide my tears

They overflowed as much as I was grateful

You understood me better than myself

When I was on the verge of breaking down

Seeing you having a harder time than I did

Made me cry like a child

There’s a connection in our relationship

A huge one that I can’t explain in words

Our conversations, piled with memories

Continue on today

Because you’ve always been there to protect me

Because you’ve taken the criticism that I should receive

You have shielded me without a word and now

I will reflect you like a mirror

Because you’ve always been there to protect me

Because you’ve taken the criticism that I should receive

You have shielded me without a word and now

I will hold you

When it becomes tiring and I want to give up

When I am weak and I want to run away

Your small hand becomes my biggest strength

For the rest of my life, I’ll sing a song for you

You have always been there

Believing in me and protecting me

I’ll convey this song of appreciation

At the end of this very long connection

At the end of this train stop, unaware of where it’ll reach

We learn as we go on and feel many things

I’m always late at expressing my emotions

You won’t be forgotten in my heart, right?

You’ll remain in my eyes as you smile, right?

If my joy can become your happiness

I’ll be thankful

Jinki’s hands stilled, and he looked over at Taemin, sincerity written across his face and hope in his eyes. Taemin’s breath caught in his throat.

“I love you Taemin-ah.” Jinki said softly, brushing a stray strand of hair away from Taemin’s face. “I always have, and always will. Don’t you ever forget that.”

Taemin leaned into Jinki’s touch, smiling softly as his eyes glistened with tears of joy.

“I won’t.” He choked out, emotions clogging his throat.

A breathtaking smile crossed Jinki’s face, one of total elation that made the whole room warmer. He wrapped his arms tightly around Taemin, joy radiating from every cell. He was impossible to resist... so Taemin didn’t.

Snaking his hands out of Jinki’s grasp, he pulled Jinki’s face down to his and kissed him deeply, pouring all of his emotions into that single kiss, praying Jinki would understand.

“Taemin-ah.” Jinki breathed, eyes wide. “I...”

Taemin smiled. “I love you too hyung.”


 

“But how did you know I was at the the cafe today?” Jinki asked casually as they walked back to the cafe, hands clasped together between them.

Taemin paused, thinking back to his talk with Jongin, to the picture on his phone. It had been an unknown number; in his rage, Taemin hadn’t thought to question where the picture came from, it had only mattered that it existed.

“I got a picture. In a message.” Jinki froze mid-step, an unsuspecting Taemin running into his back in surprise.

“Did you say... you found out from a text message?  A picture of me?”

Taemin nodded. “It was of you and Jessica. You looked so close... I was really worried there for a bit- hyung, what’s wrong?”

Jinki should have known. Who else would have told Taemin, would have known in the first place?

“Hyung, what’s going on? Who is it? You know don’t you.” There was suspicion, but also fear in Taemin’s eyes. He could already sense this was going nowhere good.

“Taemin...” Jinki bit his lip. He didn’t want to worry the younger, he was tired of hurting him, but he couldn’t hide it any longer. Besides, if he’d learned anything from the past 24 hours, it was that secrets only made things worse.

“I’m not positive but... I think it might be Minho.” Jinki flinched internally as he watched Taemin’s face go pale, fear taking over.

“Minho?” He echoed, voice small.

With that name brought flashbacks. Memories of a cold, dark room, of Minho’s twisted smile and cruel words. He remembers the feeling of sweaty hands all over him, of struggling to escape, of his voice going hoarse after hours of screaming for help. He had no understanding of time in there, only that with every breath he grew more and more hopeless. He’d thought it was the end. When Jinki rescued him, it was like being pulled from hell by an angel. He’d thought it was over then.

So why was Minho back?

“Taemin? Taemin, are you okay? Hey-Taemin!” Jinki caught Taemin just before he could hit the ground, the younger’s legs having given out from shock.

“He’s...” Taemin couldn’t find his voice to finish the sentence, his mouth opening but no sound coming out. His heart raced, blood running cold.

“How... how did he know where you were?”

“He’s... been following me. For a little while now. I know I should have told you, but he’s already hurt you so much, I couldn’t let myself expose you to that again.”

For the first time, Taemin didn’t argue about being kept in the dark. His fear seemed to override any anger he had about not being told.

“So... he’s been following you... but why? What’s going on? What is trying to do here Jinki?”

Jinki squeezed his eyes shut, wishing this was all a dream. He didn’t want to so this. He didn’t want Taemin to go through this fear, this emotional torture again.

“He wants you.” Jinki answered quietly, hating himself. Taemin flinched back as if the revelation physically hurt him.

“Why? WHY? What would he even want from me? He hates me!”

“Jinki, why can’t he leave me alone?” Taemin whimpered, burying his head against Jinki’s chest.

“I don’t know Taemin.” He said softly, petting Taemin’s head in an attempt to sooth the shaking younger. “I don’t know.”

“Why?” Taemin whispered again, as if to himself. Jinki didn’t respond, instead opting to wrap his arms around the dancer’s thin body and hold him tightly.

“I’ll keep you safe Tae-ah. I promise.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
For anyone who doesn't know, the song is 'Honesty' by Shinee~ 
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I know it probably seems lackluster lately, and I apologize. I'm still sick- I'm sick with pneumonia, so life has been a lot of "ugh I just wanna breathe!" lately, but I'm trying to get better. Hopefully I can provide better content in the weeks to come, once I'm better myself.
Thanks everyone for their lovely comments,  you really make my day brighter.
I love you all~