Chapter 11

Capture Me Yeobo

Super early update, if you haven't read the previous update (chapter 10) please do so ^-^ I'll explain the reason for the weird early update after the chapter ^w^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We’re going to your parents’ house for dinner tomorrow night.” Taemin said nonchalantly over breakfast. Jinki choked on his eggs and dropped his fork, letting it clatter loudly against his plate.

“We’re what?” He asked, once he’d regained the ability to breathe.

“I said we’re going to your parents’ for dinner tomorrow. We haven’t seen them since we got back, why is it such a surprise?” Taemin raised an eyebrow, mildly surprised by Jinki’s reaction. It’s not like his parents were people they wanted to avoid.

“I’m not- I just didn’t expect this. When did you become so close?” Jinki felt hurt; it wasn’t as if Taemin and his parents couldn’t get along, but why hadn’t they called Jinki instead?

“Since their real son became too distracted with other things to call them.” Taemin’s voice was calm, but there was a dangerous glint to his eyes that had Jinki shifting uncomfortably in his seat. Taemin knew something, and Jinki knew he did. But how much was still uncertain, and Jinki’s lips were still sealed.

The tension between the two had reached the point where their friends could barely be around them at the same time. It felt like a bomb that could go off any second, and they were both waiting for the other to pull the trigger. It was a hazardous way to live, but neither knew how to end it. Neither wanted to be the cause of the eruption, but both knew it was inevitable.

Jinki knew Taemin was angry. He could feel it in his bones, see it in Taemin’s tight shoulders that were unable to loosen from the stress. Just as Taemin knew Jinki was hiding something, in the way he always moved so stiffly, the way he avoided meeting Taemin’s eyes as they spoke.

“I...” Jinki began, looking lost.

Taemin knew he had gone over a line with what he said, and despite wanting to hurt Jinki in return for all the hurt he’d caused Taemin of late, he couldn’t stand seeing the saddened expression Jinki wore at his words.

“I’m sorry, that was uncalled for. It’s just... they miss you Jinki.” Softer, almost as if he didn’t want Jinki to hear, he added, “I miss you.”

“I know.” Jinki replied, unsure of which part he was replying to.

 

Dinner couldn’t be any more awkward, Jinki supposed. He and Taemin sat side by side at the table, Jinki’s parents positioned across from them with happy but slightly confused smiles on their face. So far conversation had consisted of greetings and the occasional, “pass the Kimchi”, and lots of uncomfortable silence.

Great, even his parents noticed the tension between him and Taemin.

“So...” Jinki’s father said, clasping his hands together. “How is everything?”

Taemin and Jinki exchanged tense glances, as if daring each other to say something about the current situation. When neither spoke a word, Jinki cleared his throat and turned back to his parents.

“Nothing too interesting. I’ve been busy with the cafe, and of course we’ve both been running around trying to prepare for the wedding.” Jinki smiled, hoping it didn’t look to forced.

“Oh, dear I remember how hectic our wedding was.” Jinki’s mother laughed, grinning happily up at her husband. Mr. Lee rolled his eyes and chuckled.

“It certainly was something.”

“Taemin’s been telling me he’s been stuck with all the bridal duties. Our poor Taemin-ah. And Jinki, I assume you’ve settled everything on your side?”

“Uhmmm....” Truth be told, the most Jinki had done for the wedding was periodically save Taemin from Luhan before the poor dancer killed the chinese man out of annoyance. Other than that, he hadn’t put much thought into it at all.

“Jinki!” His mother chastised. “Have you even got yourself a best man?”

“Of course! It’s Jonghyun.” He told them, making a mental note to ask Jonghyun later to be his best man.

“Aigoo, you must be busy with the shop, I can tell from your expression you have barely a clue what I’m talking about. It’s a good thing Taemin has his friends to help him with everything.” Her words were harsh, but her eyes joking; Jinki knew his mother could never be truly upset.

“Ahh.. yes...”

There was an awkward silence as the conversation came to a standstill, no one knowing what to say. Jinki pushed his noodles around his plate, trying to appear as small and unnoticeable as possible.

“What about your dancing Taemin-ah? I hear that has been going well.” Jinki’s mother asked, and like that the attention was off Jinki and he could breath again. He drowned himself in Taemin’s words, listening to his sweet voice chatter animatedly about rehearsals and the upcoming concert. Small, proud smiles could be seen on both Lee parents’ faces, and the sight made Jinki’s heart swell in happiness.

As they were talking, Jinki felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, and as discreetly as possible, he slid it from his pocket. An unknown number shone on the screen, though by now Jinki knew it could only be one person.

Minho.

His heart rate doubled and a nervous sweat began forming on his brow at the realization. The only thing calming him was the feeling of Taemin’s warm body beside him, the knowledge that whatever this was, Taemin was safe, for now.

Which meant someone else wasn’t.

Jinki swallowed hard and opened the message, preparing for the worst.

This time, there was only two pictures. One of the piano he had come to know so well. The other of Jessica picking up Yoogeun from school, a wide smile on her face as Yoogeun, a mere blue blur, ran towards her waiting arms.

Below them was a single line.

I wonder if he would stay if he knew all your dirty little secrets.

Jinki paled and clenched the phone tightly, hiding the screen.

“Jinki? Hyung, are you okay?” Taemin asked, placing a hand gently on Jinki’s arm.

“Hmm? Yeah, fine.” Jinki said, hastily shoving his phone back into his pocket.

“Son, is everything alright?” Mrs. Lee’s eyes were filled with worry, her hands ringing her napkin nervously. Suddenly, Jinki couldn’t take it anymore. He had to get out of there.

“Well, this has been nice, but we really should be getting home. It was nice seeing you, umma, appa. Let’s go Taemin.” Jinki stood from the table and grabbed Taemin’s hand, pulling him up with him.

“But I don’t want to go yet-” Taemin could barely finish his sentence before he was dragged out of the dining room and into the front hall, where Jinki quickly busied himself with putting his shoes on. Taemin followed suit, grumbling under his breath as he did so.

“Goodbye umma and appa!” Taemin called out as Jinki pulled him out the door, the Lees’ replies lost from the sound of the door shutting.

Once outside, Taemin tore his hand from Jinki’s grasp, glaring at him angrily.

“What the hell hyung! What was that back there?”

“I don’t know I just.. I don’t know.” Jinki was at a loss for words, too surprised by Taemin’s outburst to think up an excuse.

“I don’t know what’s going on with you, but you better fess up soon, because I can’t handle this anymore Jinki. I can’t take this tension between us, these secrets you’re keeping from me.”

“There are no secrets-”

“That’s bull and you know it.” Taemin’s gaze was hard, shoulders set angrily.

“Please Taemin, understand. I’m not keeping secrets. I’m just stressed, the wedding-”

“I’m stressed about the wedding too, but you don’t see me jumping out of my skin every time you walk into the room! I have Luhan and Tao jumping me every other day trying to shove me into dresses, but you don’t see me running around like I’m guilty of committing a crime. Now tell me what is going on with you?”

“Nothing, Taemin, it’s really nothing. I’m sorry I’ve been so jumpy lately, but please, believe me-”

“Why should I? Because you love me? Because I love you? I’m sorry, but with the way you’re acting... it’s hard to be so blindly trusting.”

Jinki took Taemin’s hands into his own, holding them tightly so Taemin couldn’t break free.

“Taemin.” Jinki said softly. “Taemin, look at me.” Taemin did, his eyes blazing with fury.

“What?” He snapped, though it already seemed like the energy was draining out of him.

“I know I’ve been.. less than perfect lately.”

“That’s an understatement.” Taemin muttered.

“But I swear it’ll all be okay soon. No secrets, no worries, okay?”

Taemin’s shoulders dropped, the anger fading away. He just couldn’t stay mad at Jinki, not when he wore that earnest and hopeful face, begging to be forgiven and promising a better tomorrow.

“It’s just.. it’s just too much Jinki.” He sighed, resting his head on Jinki’s chest. Jinki Taemin’s hair lightly, soothing the younger.

“I know, I’m sorry. I promise it’ll get better Tae-ah.”

 

“I just don’t understand Jongin! Why does he feel the need to keep secrets from me? And why does he keep denying it when I ask? Doesn’t he know I’ll understand? I’m not going to leave him for some dumb reason.”

It was the next day, and Taemin and Jongin sat together on the couch, Jongin listening while Taemin ranted. Despite Jinki’s promises, Taemin still felt uneasy, and he needed to vent to someone. Unfortunately for Jongin, that someone was him.

“I don’t know Taemin. Maybe he has a reason?”

Taemin shot Jongin a look of disbelief, and the younger squirmed in his seat under the intense glare.

“I’m his husband! What reason could he have? What’s so important he can’t tell me?”

Jongin shifted around some more, looking increasingly uncomfortable. “Well... maybe... you know sometimes, people have their reasons... and it’s to protect... don’t you think maybe he’s trying to keep the secret so that you aren’t hurt? Secrets aren’t always a bad thing, sometimes they’re good and protect and...” Jongin trailed off, shrinking in his seat.

“Jongin.” Taemin began, voice low. “Is there something you know that you aren’t telling me?”

“What? No! I would never- forget what I said. You’re right. No reason for secrets. None.” Jongin chuckled nervously, looking everywhere but at Taemin.

“You-”

Taemin's phone chimed, startling the dancer. "One moment Jongin." Absentmindedly he flipped open his phone cover and went to his messages. He paused with his thumb hovering over the notification, squinting his eyes in confusion when he realized it was from an unknown number.

“What’s with the weird face hyung?”

“I don’t know... it’s an unknown number.”

“What, really? Let me see.” Jongin slid closer to Taemin and strained his neck to see the phone screen.

“Huh. Think Jonghyun changed his number again and is sending you another picture of his dog?”

“Maybe.” With a shrug of his shoulders, Taemin tapped the notification, opening up the message. When it loaded, the world seemed to come to a standstill. Beside him, Jongin in a breath of surprise, jaw dropping in shock.

“Is that...” Jongin tried to speak, but found his voice to be failing him.

Taemin continued to stare at the picture on his phone, not comprehending.

It couldn't be.

Jinki.... No. Taemin blinked, hand shaking.

“So this is it....” He whispered, voice rough and choked.

Below the picture was a text message, the only words an address.

“Taemin...I’m sorry....” Jongin said, voice sympathetic.

“I....I have to go.” The picture and address burned into his mind, he jumped up from the couch and headed to the door. The phone fell from his hand and onto the ground, the picture of Jinki and an unknown girl holding hands still frozen on the screen.

Jongin shook his head. “Jinki.... what have you done?”

 

She better be a co-spy. Because if she’s not, that curly haired barbie doll was going to die. Taemin’s hands clenched into fists as he took in the scene before him. With his back to the door sat Jinki, his dyed, dark red hair and strong shoulders recognizable anywhere. Across from him sat a woman with long light brown hair and a wide smile, laughing at something Jinki said and pushing his shoulder lightly.

As he threw open the door and stormed towards their table in the back corner, he tried to reason with himself, tried to calm his emotions before he ended up blowing up in front of the entire cafe.

It’s fine. He thought. She’s probably just an old friend. Or his sister. Yeah, that’s it. They’re probably siblings. Taemin takes another step towards their table, preparing to break up their little reunion and introduce himself since it must have slipped Jinki’s mind.

Jinki has been awfully stressed lately, and the wedding is taking up most of our time. It probably never occurred to him that maybe he should introduce his HUSBAND to his friends.

Taemin took a deep breath, his mind betraying him for some very passive-aggressive thoughts. He clenched and unclenched his fists, begging his heart to slow a bit and anger to subside because he really didn’t want to get arrested for killing someone.

At that moment, a small child ran up to Jinki and latched onto his leg.

“Appa!” He exclaimed. “You’re back!”

Taemin froze.

Oh hell no.

--------------------------------------------------------

And I'll just end it here.

For the next two weeks. 

That's right, the reason for this early update is because this weekend, I won't be updating. There is literally no chance of it. I'm going to be out of town with my swim team at our state competition from Thursday to Sunday, and I also have exams starting tomorrow. And since I'm so nice that I didn't want to make you wait until two weeks for the next update, I'm giving you two in a short amount of time. Aren't I nice?

Let's just forget about the part where I left this chapter to end on a major cliff hanger

Anyways, please comment, and I'll be back soon with more updates! And cliffhangers XD