Chapter 3

Capture Me Yeobo

 

“Dammit Luhan I am NOT getting married in a dress!”

“But you’ll look pretty!”

“I don’t care, I am a man!”

“But you’re a pretty man!”

That was the scene Jinki walked in on Thursday afternoon, having run up stairs after hearing Taemin’s yells. Minseok was sitting in a chair, bored, while Luhan shoved a wedding magazine towards a frustrated Taemin.

“So? You’re a pretty man too! In fact, you and Minseok could both pass as girls easily, that doesn’t mean you’ll be wearing a dress.”

“Hey.” Minseok protested, not thrilled at being called out on his feminine features. The two quarreling boys ignored him.

“It’s different Taemin. I may be baby faced, but at least I’m manly. Besides, if anyone wears a dress, it’s going to be Minseok.”

“Excuse me?” Minseok said, eyes round. “No such thing will happen.”

“Whatever you say honey.” Luhan replied absentmindedly, flipping through another magazine. Finding something he liked, his eyes lit up and he showed it to Taemin.

“What about this? Luhan said, pointing at something Jinki couldn’t see.

Taemin groaned and fell back against the couch.

“You’re impossible.” He muttered.

Jinki strode forward and placed a hand on Minseok’s shoulder, startling the man who nearly jumped out of his seat at the touch.

“Aish, you scared me hyung. What’s up?”

“I heard yelling and decided to see what’s going on. Is everything okay?”

“Sure, sure. Luhan is just torturing your husband again. Nothing new.” Jinki frowned.

“Don’t you think he’s going a little... overboard about this whole thing?”

Minseok snorted and rolled his eyes. “Overboard? It’s Luhan, overboard is just the beginning. Don’t you remember the time he brought a llama into the shop after you told him I said I’d date him if he did?”

“Of course, how could I forget? Luckily there was only one customer at the time, but that ahjumma still stops by everyday to tell me the shop is a ‘run-down useless stain in an otherwise perfect city’. That was certainly one of his weirdest moments.”

“I don’t know, it was kind of sweet, in an idiotic, crazy sort of way.”

Jinki shook his head at his coworker’s weird romantics. “Right. Anyways, I thought maybe I could give you a break from dealing with these guys and let you run the shop for the rest of the day. How does that sound?”

Minseok jumped from his seat and grinned crookedly. “You’re the best. I’ll work hard. Goodbye, and good luck hyung.”

Before Jinki could ask what Minseok meant, the shorter man was already out the door, the sound of his footsteps on the stairs fading away quickly.

At the sound of the door slamming shut, the two arguing turned towards the sound, finally noticing Jinki.

“Jinki?” Taemin asked, surprised. Luhan frowned.

And where did Minseok go?”

“He left. Said he couldn’t stand you anymore and was going on the next flight to Madagascar.”

Luhan just stared at him, face betraying no emotion. “He’s downstairs working isn’t he.”

Well damn. “...Yeah.”

Luhan sighed and crossed his arms. “What do you want hyung? Taemin and I are a little busy planning right now.”

Jinki eyes flickered from Luhan to Taemin, to the massive stack of wedding magazines beside them. “I can see that.” Under Luhan’s steely gaze, Jinki began to shift uncomfortably. Why did his coworker have to date such a terrifying person?

Behind Luhan, Taemin was silently begging Jinki with his eyes to do something, anything, to get him out of there. Jinki gave a very slight nod and set his shoulders. He had to be convincing, for Taemin.

“Jonghyun called, they’re starting dance rehearsal in fifteen minutes and he’s wondering where Taemin is. I know you have lots to talk about with Taemin, but he can’t exactly skip practice now.”

Luhan narrowed his eyes. “I don’t-”

Taemin shot up for his seat. “Jinki! My savior! I love you! Let’s go.” He grabbed Jinki’s arm and spun him around, dragging him out of the house without so much as a goodbye to Luhan.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Taemin turned to Jinki with a perplexed look upon his face.

“What’s going on hyung? Rehearsal doesn’t start for another two hours. Jonghyun texted me to remind me like 20 minutes ago.”

“I know. I just figured you wanted out of there.”

“You got that right hyung. Ugh, it’s so frustrating.”

Jinki wrapped an arm around Taemin’s shoulders and squeezed gently. “Rough day?”

Taemin groaned. “I don’t understand why it’s only me they’re bugging. You’re getting married too. But no, it’s just Taemin this, Taemin that. I swear I’m going to strangle Luhan soon, and Jongin isn’t much better.”

“I’m sorry yeobo. How about some ice cream to cheer you up?”

Taemin pushed him lightly. “Jinki! You know I’m not supposed to eat sweet things before I dance.”

Jinki stared at him. “So, ice cream?”

“I’m thinking that small one about two blocks from here would be good.”

Twenty minutes later, the two walked out of the ice cream shop, frozen desserts in hand. Taemin his banana flavored ice cream and hummed happily. The two continued down along the street when Taemin suddenly laughed.

Jinki turned to him in confusion. “What is it?”

Taemin shook his head and merely pointed at a vendor a few feet ahead. Hanging from it were pairs and pairs of socks, including- of all things- Jonghyun socks.

“Remember the first time we got ice cream together?”

Jinki nodded. “I remember. Jonghyun had been asking me about you, and when I realized how little I knew, I asked you out for ice cream and to tell me your life story.”

Taemin rolled his eyes. “I spent most of it trying to figure out if you liked me or not. And then you got so annoyed over me buying those Jonghyun socks. I knew then you had to like me at least a little.”

“Yeah you- wait, you noticed that?” Jinki blushed, remembering how jealous he was over something so trivial.

“Calm down. It was adorable, really.” Taemin bumped shoulders with Jinki, before sighing wistfully.

“That was really a fun day. It was the first time we hung out when you weren’t working. I really fell in love with then, I  think.”

“Are you missing that time?”

Taemin shook his head fast. “Hell no. Back then was an impossible crush, while you refused to admit any feelings, and besides.” Taemin dragged Jinki into the alley as they passed by, and pressed him against the wall. “Back then, I couldn’t do this.” He kissed Jinki deeply, mouths moving together in sync. Their ice cream fell to the ground, forgotten.

When Taemin finally pulled back, they were both pink in the face, breathing hard.

“What about you? Do you miss it?” Taemin asked, breathless.

“Not at all.”

There was the sound of feet on pavement, and a small squeal. Jinki and Taemin turned simultaneously and caught the shocked faces of two teenage school girls standing at the opposite entrance of the ally.

The smaller of the two squeaked again. “Omo. It’s like a fanfiction.  I can’t, unni hold me I’m going to faint.” Sure enough, she stumbled backwards, into the arms of her friend.

The taller girl bowed her head, a blush tinging her cheeks and the tips of her ears.

“Mianhe, my friend overreacts often. Please don’t mind her. We didn’t mean to interrupt, we’ll just be going now.” Still blushing, she turned and dragged her friend away, while the smaller girl stared after the boys with her jaw slack and eyes shining excitedly.

Taemin moved back from Jinki and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Ah... maybe we should save this for later.”

“That might be best.” Jinki choked out, still in shock over what happened. First Jonghyun with his OTP talk and now these girls... what was next? A fan club dedicated to the two?

Although Jinki realized, knowing his friends, that might already be in the works without him even knowing.

Checking his phone, Taemin swore.

“We must have been here longer than I thought. I’ve only got thirty minutes to get to the studio.”

“Ah, we have to get moving then. Let’s go.”

25 minutes later found Jinki and Taemin in front of the practice room door, sweaty and a little breathless, but on time. Taemin hugged Jinki quickly.

“Bye hyung, see you in a few hours.”

“Bye Tae-ah.”

After Taemin disappeared behind the door, Jinki made his way towards the exit, looking around the familiar halls. It was the same studio he used to practice in with Jonghyun, back when Jonghyun was still a trainee and Jinki was still trying to find the courage to audition.

A few feet from the exit door, he paused, thinking, before turning around and backtracking slowly. He let his memories guide him, counting the doors until he reached the second to last door on the left. It was a door he knew very well.

Hand trembling slightly, he reached for the handle and slowly pushed the door open. His heart beat in his chest, anticipation rising in him.

There, in the center, stood a black grand piano, the same as it had the last time Jinki was there, years ago.

His footsteps echoed loudly against the wood floor as he walked towards it, as if in a trance. About a foot away, he stopped, taking a moment to just study the old piano. Same ebony colored wood, same ivory keys.  It wasn’t any different than before, not even a bit dusty. Jinki wondered how many students like him had played this piano since he left.

Hand shaking, he raised it to the piano, hovering over the keys hesitantly. Taking a deep breath, Jinki trailed his fingers lightly over the keys, reveling in the almost forgotten feeling. Memories flooded him, images flashing by of him laughing, smiling, singing along to the melody he played.

Experimentally, he pressed down one key, and a single note broke the silence. Jinki dropped his hand as if burned, and stepped back from the piano.

“No.” He whispered, shaking his head. He turned away and walked towards the door. Hand on the door handle, he turned back once and gazed longingly at the piano.  “Not anymore.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? I updated when I said I would? 

Yes, yes I did. By 20 minutes XD (my time)

But it is still Saturday for me, so I'm counting it!

As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter <3

Goodbye~