Chapter 9

Capture Me Yeobo

He was supposed to be dead. Or if not dead, on the opposite side of the world, out of contact with everyone from his past, as good as dead. Not here, in front of Taemin, that shy grin that haunted Taemin’s memories painted across his face.

To say he was shocked was an understatement. After searching for weeks, sneaking out at night to visit bars and clubs begging for information about the man, Taemin had given up on ever seeing him again.

It had made sense. No sane person would live in the Lee household, forced to face the Chairwoman’s ridicule everyday. Taemin understood why he’d disappeared, he never blamed him for that. He only blamed him for not saying goodbye, for leaving Taemin to wonder what happened to him for the rest of his life.

The man must have taken Taemin’s shocked silence as the inability to recognize him, and cleared his throat before speaking.

“Taemin.. Tae, it’s me. Taesun.”

Taemin remained silent. His eyes roamed over his brother’s face, taking in the sharp jaw line, worn eyes, and thick lips so much like his own. He was slightly shorter than Taemin now, but otherwise looked no different than he had when Taemin was a child.

It didn’t seem possible. The last time Taemin had seen the man, he was younger than Taemin’s current age, and now Taesun was entering his late 20’s. It was as if his brother had been frozen in time, unchanging while the rest of the world aged.

“Taemin? Tae-ah, don’t you remember me?” It was an innocent question, laced with fear. Taesun stared into Taemin’s eyes, searching for some sign of recognition.

“You haven’t changed at all.” Taemin said softly. Taesun smiled and rushed forward, pulling the dancer into a bone crushing hug.

“And you’ve changed so much.” Taesun replied. The last time he’d seen Taemin, the boy wasn’t even a teen, and was so skinny he’d worried the boy would blow over in the wind. Since, Taemin had matured into a handsome man, all angles and lithe muscle.

“When did you get so handsome?” Taesun wondered. “It isn’t fair.”

Taemin didn’t reply, instead relishing in the feeling of being held in his brother’s arms. It seemed so impossible, to be reunited with his brother. For everything to be falling so perfectly in place, everyone he cared about with him, it was surreal.

Almost too perfect, but then, who was he to push away good things?

 

From the side, Jinki watched nervously. He wasn’t sure who this man was, but he didn’t like how close they were. Beside him, Luhan puffed out his cheeks in thought while he watched the two hug each other.

“You know. I’m starting to think that’s not the pâtissier.”

Jinki couldn’t find it in him to laugh at Luhan’s random comment, and instead kept his eyes glued to the two. Jinki wracked his brain for any memory of Taemin mentioning this stranger, but he could think of nothing. Jinki had met everyone in Taemin’s life, both good and bad.

At least, he thought he had. Now he wasn’t so sure.

Nervously, he made his way towards the two, coughing loudly to announce his presence. Taemin pulled away from Taesun and smiled at Jinki with eyes glittering with happiness. Jinki hadn’t seen him so happy since he proposed.

Just who was this guy?

“I’m Taesun, Taemin’s brother.” Taesun bowed slightly, a small smirk playing at the corner of his lips.

Oops. Jinki blushed, realizing he’d spoken his thoughts out loud, and bowed low.

“Ah, nice to meet you Taesun-ssi. I’m Jinki.”    Remembering that Taemin said his brother had been missing for years, Jinki’s eyebrows drew together in confusion.

“Wait. How did you find us? Haven’t you been gone for years?” Realizing how rude he sounded, he quickly added, “I apologize for sounding rude.”

Taesun chuckled lightly, but didn’t answer the question. “It’s alright, no need for apologies.”

Taemin frowned and crossed his arms. “Jinki’s right... How did you find me?”

Taesun rubbed the back of his neck, shifting nervously. “It’s a long story...” There was a short pause, and then, without warning,  “I heard you’re getting married.”

“I...yeah. But how-”

“So, who’s the lucky girl?”

Taemin stopped short. Jinki and Taemin turned to each other with twin looks of surprise.

“Do.... do you not know?” Taemin asked.

“Know what? I  know that you are getting married, and that whatever happened in the past should be left as it would be rude to miss my younger brother’s wedding. Is there something I’m missing?”

Taemin paled. Taesun didn’t know. He didn’t know about Taemin, he didn’t know anything.

Seeing Taemin’s terrified face, Taesun’s mouth curved into a smirk. He ruffled his younger brother’s hair playfully, chuckling lightly.

“Aigoo, you’re still as easy to fool as ever. Of course I know. I’m assuming you’re the man my brother’s marrying?” Taesun asked, turning to Jinki.

Jinki, shocked at the turn of events, stuttered out a simple “N-n-neh” and bowed deeply once more

“It’s nice to finally meet you. I trust you are taking good care of my brother?”

“Of course.” Jinki replied strongly, trying to hide his nervousness.

Regaining his voice finally, Taemin spoke up. “You don’t... you don’t hate me? You aren’t disgusted?” Taemin asked with wide, hopeful eyes. Taesun laughed.

“I’m your hyung, I could never hate you. Although, I must admit, it is a bit bothersome that my little brother is getting married before me.” Taemin blushed.

“Hyung...”

“Don’t give me that look. Now, how about some food? I’m absolutely starving.”

“What would you like? Minseok and I will whip something up right away.”

“Your husband works at this cafe? I should have known, you always did like sweet things.” Taemin blushed even harder, now resembling a cherry tomato. Jinki blushed lightly as well, not expecting the comment.

Paying no mind to the awkward atmosphere surrounding him,  “I’ll have a plain black coffee and a slice of coffee cake.”

“Coming right up.” Jinki said, rushing to get away as fast as possible.

Alone once more, Taemin questioned his brother again. “How are you here? How do you know about me?”

“I’ll answer all your questions later Minnie. We’ll have plenty of time to talk, I promise.”

 

Later turned out to be 10 pm that night, with Taemin cornering Taesun as he was exiting the kitchen.

“Hyung.” Taemin said, crossing his arms. Taesun paused with his spoon halfway to his mouth, a bowl of rice held in his hand. Taemin stepped into the doorway, blocking his brother’s only exit.

“Taemin? Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know hyung. You tell me.”

“What are you-”

“I’m not an idiot Taesun. You show up out of nowhere- after being missing for years, mind you- somehow knowing that I’m getting married and acting like nothing happened. I didn’t want to do this in front of the others, but I’ve waited long enough. I want answers Taesun, and I want them now.”

“It’s a long story Taemin. Maybe tomorrow? I’ve traveled a long ways, and I’m exhausted.”

“Oh...okay.” Taesun patted Taemin’s shoulder and strode past him towards Joon’s room (The elder had quickly agreed to sharing a room with the man after learning he was Taemin’s brother. His enthusiasm seemed to drop a little once he was made aware that Taesun was 100% straight, but still allowed him to stay. )

Why won’t he tell me? Taemin thought, as he watched Taesun’s back as he walked down the hallway. A sick feeling settled in the pit of his stomach at the thought of why he might not be.

The door slammed shut behind him, and Taemin felt strong arms wrapped around his waist. Warm lips pressed against his cheek as Jinki whispered in his ear.

“Hey yeobo.” Taemin couldn’t help the smile that made it’s way onto his face hearing that word. All his worries seemed to drift away as he was held in Jinki’s arms.

“Hey.” He breathed, craning his neck to see his husband’s face. Jinki’s hands moved up to Taemin’s shoulders, massaging them gently.

“You’re awfully tense. Is something wrong?” Jinki asked with worry-filled eyes. Taemin sighed and turned around so he was facing the elder. The smile fell off his faces as the worries reappeared, and he sighed. “It’s nothing.. just... I want to believe that everything was fine, but I can’t shake the feeling that something is off about Taesun’s arrival.”

Jinki cocked his head at that. “Isn’t it a good thing that he’s returned?”

“It is! But.. don’t you think it’s weird? That after disappearing without a trace for years, he’s suddenly appeared on our front door? Isn’t the timing a bit too perfect.”

Jinki rubbed Taemin’s arms reassuringly and smiled softly. “Don’t worry too much about it Tae-ah. Things have a way of working things out. I’m sure he’ll tell you soon.” As if an afterthought, Jinki added, “And if he doesn’t, is it really the worst things? He’s here now, isn’t that all that matters.”

“I guess so...” Taemin mumbled, not convinced.

Jinki gave a nod and dropped his hands from Taemin’s arms, hugging him instead.

“It’ll be fine. Now, let’s get some sleep, okay?”

“Okay.” Taemin replied, but inside, his mind was already working out Jinki’s words, of the double meaning behind them. He followed Jinki to their shared room, sighing internally.

Why is everyone keeping secrets from me?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry again! I just can't seem to update on time can I? >.< 
I was out of town all weekend for my swim team's conference meet, so I had zero time to write T-T
Okay, now that the excuses are out of the way....
Who saw that coming? Not me XDD no seriously, it just sort of happened  
tell me your thoughts in the comments below~