Paradise

Paradise

 

No words were exchanged, at least for a good, long hour. All the two of them did was sit in different corners of the room and look to their hands. At least Sunggyu was, because all Woohyun could do was stare to the older man. He couldn't stop thinking, realizing how slow, how stupid he had been. How could he not realized this man, this injured man was the man he once loved more than life itself? How could he believe that Sunggyu was dead? How could he not see that the small, poor guy he bullied for those months was the only person that mattered to him? If he opened his eyes to see, to care about the fragile, scared man, he would see it was Sunggyu, the man he loved, the man he thought he lost forever.

 

But how was he suppose to say it? How was he suppose to open his mouth to speak, to apologize? He couldn't even apologize himself, how would Sunggyu? He didn't deserved, he wouldn't ask for it. He didn't know what he was feeling. He was feeling happy because he was seeing the person he loved was alive and well. But at the same time he was feeling guilt, remorse, anger, shame....he didn't know what to do. He wanted to jump from the floor, hold the older man and cry. He wanted to cry so bad. Words could not express what he was feeling at that moment, and he was sure Sunggyu could feel it. He was sure the older man could even hear him breath. Each breath, each heart beat was more painful than the other. Woohyun tried to look away, but every time he did it, his eyes would go back to Sunggyu.

 

He knew he had to talk. He had to say something before he went insane. After a couple of deep, long breaths he closed his eyes. He could feel cold sweat on his hands, his whole body was shivering and he thanked the fact he was seat, other wise he knew his legs would fail him and he wouldn't be able to say what he wanted, what he needed. “.....remember?” He asked and he could see the injured man shiver as soon he started talking. Woohyun noticed the man wasn't looking back at him. This could be good or bad. It could be good because it could mean he was willing to listen or it could be bad because it mean he would just ignore everything and would drown even deeper into his depression, which Woohyun would understand. How could he not feel even worst? Woohyun had been, supposedly, the only person that felt for the nerdy, clumsy Kim Sunggyu. The only who said one day he would be big and his father would hate himself for it. The one who said he would protect the older forever.

 

It was like he lied. It was like he lied all that time. He understood if Sunggyu never believed him. He understood if he didn't wanted to see him ever again. It would be more than normal and he wouldn't be mad. He would understand, even if it broke his heart more than anything. “Remember....the....the first night...we spent together?” Woohyun asked as his voice cracked a little. He looked down to his hands and then to the older man. He saw Sunggyu bite his lower lip and just nodded his head. “Remember what I told you after?” Again, the older man just nodded his head and didn't said a single word. “I told you...I would love you...no matter what...that you could grow an extra arm and I wouldn't care...”

 

Sunggyu fought the urge to say he knew it was all a lie. He fought the urge to start a fight. He just wanted to ignore those words, he didn't want to continue listen to those words, but he didn't had the strength to say a single thing. “....I meant it.” Sunggyu screamed inside his head No you didn't! You never did...if you did...you wouldn't believe I was dead...you wouldn't just accept it...Sunggyu started fighting so hard not to cry. He fought so hard not to move, not to show any emotion. He tried his best to keep hiding his face on the shadow, but he didn't even realized he didn't only thought those things, but said them out loud. Loud enough for the man next to him to hear and feel his heart break piece by piece. “I...I didn't accepted...I refused to accept it!”

 

....you gave up on me...” was all Sunggyu said to make Woohyun feel like the floor opened under his feet. He wanted to run away and hide in shame. “I...I mean...I...” What was he suppose to say? How was he suppose to apologize himself? It got only worst when he saw Sunggyu look at him with those eyes. He didn't know what to say, and the more the other man looked, the worst it got. “I was heart broken Sunggyu....I thought...I didn't want to believe you had left me...forever. But your father...he even cried...” How was he suppose to explain everything without even look worst than he already was? “Why did you believed him? Why couldn't you recognize me? Are my scars so hideous you couldn't tell it was me? Was all that love a lie?”

 

Woohyun passed a hand through his hair and took another deep breath. How was he suppose to make things better? How was he suppose to make everything like it was before? He didn't cared about those scars. He didn't cared about what Sunggyu thought of himself. For him, the Sunggyu that was there, it was the same Sunggyu he saw and met on the first day of high school. The same Sunggyu that was forced to tutor him because Nam Woohyun could be the most popular guy in school, but he wasn't the smartest. The same Sunggyu that refused to believe he actually had someone who loved him more than words could possibly describe. The same Sunggyu that would sing for him when they were together. The same Sunggyu that felt asleep in his arms, under the sheets.

 

....I remember...when you slept with me for the first time...we were both so scared...we were afraid to hurt each other...” He paused as he got up. He knew this was not the answer to all of Sunggyu's questions, but he felt like he had to say this, like he had to say this so they could remember the deep, perfect love they once shared. He had to prove that love couldn't be erased no matter what happened, no matter how many years passed. “And...Remember the first time you cried in my arms? You were so scared...you didn't know I loved you back then...you didn't even wanted to cry in front of me. But you were so scared of your father. You were scared to go back home...you ended up falling asleep. All I could do was stare at you and sing.”

 

He paused again, and noticed how close he was from Sunggyu. All he had to do was kneel in front of the older man so they would be looking to each others eyes. “Remember that song I used to sing to you? That song I sang to you every time you had nightmares? That song I sang every time you were scared of people? That song I sang to help you sleep?”

 

Woohyun didn't waited for an answer. He knelt in front of the older man and slowly reached for his hands. He started brushing his thumb on the smooth skin. He would take this very slowly. He didn't want Sunggyu to pull back again. “That song...that I wrote just for you...” The older man started biting his lower lip. He knew. He remember that song like it was yesterday. It was a painful song, but every time Woohyun sang it for him, it made him feel like someone wanted him. Like someone loved him more than anything. Like someone would wait for him. Like Woohyun would be there, forever, no matter what.

 

Has time stopped again?” Woohyun started singing and as he started to do it, memories started to overflow Sunggyu's head and he didn't know what was happening. He just couldn't control himself, no matter how much he wanted “Am I falling asleep like this again?” Sunggyu looked to Woohyun and what he saw surprised him, to say the least. He couldn't believe that Woohyun, THE Nam Woohyun was crying. Not even when they were together in the past this man has cried. Not even once. He never shed a tear, but now, he was crying more than Sunggyu himself. “As I blankly stare outside.

 

How the song was coming out of his lips without cracking, Woohyun didn't know, but now he was sure he couldn't stop. Sunggyu was paying attention to him, and that was exactly what he needed. He moved a little closer and pressed his forehead against the oldest man. “I close my two eyes because I thought of you...” Sunggyu couldn't take it anymore. It was getting too painful for him. He just wanted to run away. All the painful memories were coming back to him and he couldn't take it anymore. He didn't allowed the other man to continue his singing. He pushed away and got up.

 

He was moving like he had just been hit by a lightening. Woohyun collapsed on the floor and he just saw the man run away from him. “Sunggyu!” He called but the older just continued running away. He opened the front door and didn't cared if it was day light or even that he didn't covered his scars. He just wanted to leave, he just wanted to be away from the other man. He didn't want to remember every single, painful thing. He just continued running and crying, ignoring his name being called over and over again. Each step he took just made him realize he was being a coward, the coward he had always been. But he just couldn't look at Woohyun. If he kept looking to those eyes, he would die. He wanted to forgive Woohyun, he really did, but he just couldn't. The memories, the pain was still there.

 

After running just for 1minute, he started feeling his legs giving up on him. He stopped to take a long breath, to rest. He didn't even noticed he had a group of people looking at him, looking at his scars. At that moment, it was something that didn't mattered at all. He just continued feeling his whole body giving up on him. He didn't know how, but at that moment, he felt a strange sense of calm take over him, something that shouldn't happen. It was like his brain had shut down. He stopped hearing people, he stopped feeling like his heart was going to jump from his chest. He just felt beyond peaceful. Like the world and time had stopped and had allowed him to clear his head. The warm sun was hitting his face and he could swear he was feeling his tears stop and a smile take over his lips.

 

But it didn't lasted. When he opened his eyes, the first thing he heard was Woohyun desperately scream his name. He didn't remember the other man scream his name in such a way. He looked to his left and what he saw, made his body freeze. He tried to move, he tried to get way, but all he did was stare. He should have known it was his destiny. He closed his eyes, waiting for everything to be over, but as he did, he heard his name being called one last time. “SUNGGYU!” The voice was full of pain and despair. It was the last thing Sunggyu could remember. After that, everything became blank....just blank, like before.