Heart to Heart

Love between Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey guys, surprise!!! I'm back!! So here is the new chapter to start your monday. Enjoy!

 

Heart to Heart

Chapter 39

 

Yul took the cup of coffee from the vending machine before walking pass the hospital corridor. He was waiting for her mother’s prescription to be done and although he was not a fan of coffee, one cup after a long night would be helpful.

He hit his sore shoulder and let out a yawn when he reached one of the hospital park’s bench. He was going to rest a bit there while enjoying the cool breeze but stopped himself from doing so when his eyes caught something around the park.

Jessica was sitting alone, looking disheveled and tired.

"I'm sorry, Yul-ssi. Krystal needs to go right now. His father is in hospital and his condition is critical."

The words ringing back on his mind upon seeing the woman. It made his worry for her resurface. “You look so troubled, Sica,” he muttered. He was pondering whether to approach his ex-girlfriend or not. He actually wasn’t sure if she would be okay to see him right now, considering the hard times she already had.

His doubt flew to thin air when he saw Jessica curled up to her lap, clearly feeling frustrated. Whether or not she would be okay to see him, Yul wanted to at least give a moral support to someone who had been his dear one in the past.

“Sica,” he called softly after reaching a close distant to the woman.

The distressed woman looked up slowly upon hearing the voice.

"Ah hello."

He felt ache in his chest hearing her hoarse voice, as if she had been crying for long hours. Her appearance didn’t help either. Yul never saw Jessica as messy as this before.

"Hello. Want some?” He offered his much-needed coffee to her.

Jessica shook her head weakly. “Thank you.”

Yul didn’t try any further like usual. He understood the woman wasn’t in mood. “Is it okay if I sit here?” He asked cautiously.

The reply was only a weak nod, but it was enough for him.

“Uhm, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded.

Yul knew it wasn’t easy to make his ex-girlfriend to share about her current problem, so he decided to bring up himself. "I heard your father's condition is not good. I...I hope he will get well soon."

"You..." Jessica trailed off. She knew how much Yul didn't like her father, so to hear that words coming out from his mouth was a bit of surprise. She forced a thin smile. "Thanks anyway."

"That's only much I can do." For you. For now.

"Yul…"

Yul only smiled.

“Actually, I have something to tell you.”

Jessica turned her head to face him and raised her eyebrows. “Hmm?”

The man took a deep breath before looking straight at her eyes for a while then turned his head away. “I’m sorry, Sica.”

The confession startled Jessica. “F-for what?”

Yul opted to look straight afar while fiddling with the cup on his hands. “I’ve been thinking about it since I hear the news a couple days ago.” He paused and she waited. “About your relationship with your father. If…If it’s not for me your relationship wouldn’t be so bad. I’m really sorry. That’s why. I know my apology is not enough, but I’m really sorry, Sica.”

“Yul, that’s not true. You know what really happened between me and him.”

“Still, Sica. After all, he is your father and you’re his daughter. I should have mended your relationship, not torn it even more apart.”

“I…I…I know it’s hard for you too.”

Yul encouraged himself to look at the woman and he saw sincerity in her eyes. It nourished the guilt inside him even more. “I should have known better. I shouldn’t let my resentment towards him clouded my judgement. You have suffered so much because of me.”

“It’s not your fault. I brought everything myself.”

“Sica…”

“I was the one who made the decision, Yul. It’s not your fault.”

“I’m still sorry though. I could have tried harder to help you.”

“You don’t---“

“Can’t you just accept my apology?” He looked at the woman who responded it with a slow shake of head.

“But it’s not your fault. How can I?”

Yul sighed. “You’re still stubborn, I see.”

Before Jessica could say anything again, her phone was ringing. It was a call from her husband. “Taeng,” she answered.

“Where are you, Sica? I’m on my way to the hospital.”

“I’m at the park right now. I’ll be back to Dad’s room soon.”

“Alright then. I’ll see you there.”

“Okay.”

She ended the call and looked at the man next to her. She inhaled deeply before talking again. “I never blame you for anything happened between me and my Dad, Yul. There is nothing to apologize for.”

Yul shook his head disapprovingly. “You’re always like this. Bear everything alone.”

A sad smile appeared on her face.

“Whatever you think about me, I still wanna say sorry.”

Jessica looked at the man for a while, then nodded. “If you insist then. You’re already forgiven, Yul.”

“I hope you won’t blame yourself too much, because it’s not all your fault.”

“I’m not sure about that.” She sighed and got up from her seat. “I should go now.”

Yul let out a breath too. “At least share your burden to someone. You shouldn’t carry everything alone.”

“I…I’ll try.”

“I hope your father will get better soon. And…you should take care of yourself though."

A thin smile appeared on Jessica’s face. “Thanks, Yul.”

***

Jessica didn’t have to wait for long until her husband arrived.

“I bring some soup from your favorite restaurant.” He showed the food he carried with a warm smile plastering on his face. “Let’s eat first.”

“But—”

“Don’t worry, Sica. Mr. Jang here will keep us informed.” Taeng looked at his wife and when she was about to argue more, he added, “Please, Sica. I don’t want you to be sick.”

Hearing it, Jessica cancel her protest and complied with her husband’s wish. She knew she had made him worried the last time and she didn’t want to trouble him even more. Thankfully, this time she could eat the dish well and didn’t make any fuss in front of her husband. She was actually glad he brought her favorite dish in time like this. It felt easier to force herself to eat despite the lack of appetite.

Taeng then accompanied her throughout the night. Jessica would check on her father’s condition through the large window facing his room from time to time. Sometimes she would stand there a bit longer, trying to say something but there wasn’t anything come out from except ‘sorry’. Together with some tears trickling down her cheeks.

At 3 am, Jessica’s energy couldn’t keep up anymore. She was asleep on one of the sofas, leaning herself on Taeng.

Taeng was awaken by the sudden weight on his body. He smiled a bit after realizing Jessica finally could fall asleep. The woman had been in the hospital since she arrived two days ago. She even asked for a leave from her work. She had been waiting for her father all these times, lack of sleep and eat.

 He shifted his body closer to her and positioned themselves to a more comfortable posture. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and caressed her hair gently.

“I wish you would stop blaming yourself for everything, Sica.”

He pulled some strand away from her face.

“I’m here for you.”

And he kissed her forehead softly.

“Sleep tight, my love.”

***

The crowd clapped altogether, applauding the man behind the mic who gave a content smile as a reply. He wasn’t expecting such welcoming reaction from the guest tonight, but he wouldn’t hope for anything else. The positive comeback only meant a good thing for his plan.

When he left the stage, he immediately welcomed by the higher-ups who interested in your speech before – or those who just wanted to have his favor. Taeng gave warm response to all of them, either providing for more details about the project or just hold chit chat with them. He was doing his best to appeal more donators during that night gala that made him unaware someone was observing from afar.

The endless business talks finally ended when he was greeted by a lovely young woman. He received a warm hug that he replied just the same.

“I thought I’d never get a chance to talk to you, Oppa.”

Taeng chuckled and pulled the young woman into a hug. “I’m sorry.”

Juhyun shook her head after letting go from his hug. “I’m already glad enough you’re willing to help, Oppa.”

“Of course, I will help, Juhyun. I’m happy to offer what I can do.”

“You’re really the best, Oppa.”

The compliment brought a smile on his face.

“Yeah, you’re really the best, Kim sajangnim.”

Taeng turned his head to meet the owner of the voice. The smile on his face grew wider when he was greeted by a smiling familiar face.

“Oh, Tiffany-ssi. Nice to meet you here.”

“It’s my honor to be here, sajangnim.”

“It’s our pleasure, Tiffany-ssi.”

“It’s my, urmh, no, it’s our pleasure really. I believe your speech has moved many hearts here. You have a very kind heart, sajangnim. The children will be happy.”

The CEO smiled hearing the compliment. That night was the charity night held by Jeguk Corp. It was for the cause that Juhyun proposed before to him at the Mujigae House. Taeng was able to get it through the higher up in the company and implement it to the Jeguk Corp’s CSR project. While the company fund itself actually enough to start the project, Taeng foresaw the longevity of the project and hoped for a bigger coverage hence the team decided to hold the charity night to attract more contributor for the project. And Taeng was the one responsible to give the opening speech that night, which had been a successful one in touching the attendants’ hearts that night.

"Thank you. It’s just that I've always wanted to do something for the children. For the less fortunate one especially. They deserve to get better. They should get to do what they have to do."

"You seem to love children."

"I do. They're the future of this world.”

Tiffany nodded. “Of course, they are.”

Taeng turned his head and saw Juhyun. He finally remembered that two women hadn’t been introduced to each other. “Ah Tiffany-ssi, let me introduce you the brain of this project. Seo Juhyun.” He pointed the tall woman next to him. “And Juhyun, she is Tiffany Hwang. She works for UNICEF and also my wife’s bestfriend.”

They shook each oth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter