Listen

Love between Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello again!!! Thank you for your feedback to this story. Sorry I can't reply all your comments, but don't worry I've read all of it. I'm a bit shocked by some essays from you hahaha Anyway, it's fun to read it and I get some ideas from your comments too! So thank you.

This chapter took longer times than I expected, but good news, it's a longer update!! :D So here it is another chapter for you. Enjoy~

 

Listen

Chapter 32

 

The blonde woman took a sip of her morning coffee while observing the quiet woman on the couch. Her friend had crashed her place at night – not to mention, almost midnight – with a man which was her ex and hadn’t said a single thing after ‘can I sleep here tonight?’. Of course, being a good and understanding friend she was, Hyoyeon let her friend do as she wished. Just, it couldn’t be helped that she got curious too now. The brunette, at least, owed a bit of explanation after interrupting her peaceful night.

“Are you going to be mute all day?”

The brunette kept silent in her place.

Hyoyeon sighed and walked towards Jessica. She reached for the latter's shoulder. “Look, Sica. I don’t want to pry, but at least talk to me. I can’t stand having my best friend so quiet like this.”

“I…I’m sorry.”

“Hey, what are you sorry for? It’s okay. I'm happy to have you here, even more fun to have not-so-unresponsive you!” She tried to joke a bit to lighten up the mood.

“For that too, sorry. My mind is messy.”

“I’m here if you need some ears, or shoulder, or whatever it is you want.”

The blonde showed her cheeky grin. It made Jessica subtly smiled. “Thanks, Hyo.”

“I know I’m the best.”

Jessica couldn't help but let out a chuckle. “Still you and your smugness.”

“Of course! Why would I change anyway?” The blonde woman laughed out loud.

Jessica only shook her head looking at her over-confident friend. She then propped her elbow on her thighs and her hand supported her chin. She heaved a deep sigh while closing her eyes.

"I fought with Taeng yesterday and somehow Yul was at the scene."

Jessica opened her eyes and glanced at her blonde friend.

“Before you misunderstand anything, first of all, there is nothing happened between Yul and I last night.”

"Hmm, okay."

“We just met,” Jessica saw the curious look in Hyoyeon’s gaze, “coincidentally,” so she added it with more emphasize. “And why he took me here, is another long story.”

“I have all day to hear you.”

And so Jessica told her best friend about what happened between her, her father, Taeng and Yul.

+++

"Are you okay, Sica?" Yul asked, observing the quiet woman next to him. He had taken Jessica to a cafe nearby to seek warm and place to talk - that's it if the woman wanted to talk in the first place.

"..."

"What happened there?"

There was no response from the woman in front of him. She was too interested in the cup of warm coffee in front of her. Her gaze was thrown there from the start.

He gazed at Jessica again, observing her. When there was no reply at all after minutes, he broke the silence again..

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't meddle in. I'm sorry." He looked down to his hands and continued, "but I can't just stand still when he's going to hurt you."

No reply.

Yul looked up again to see Jessica's response, but it was only a silence that answered.

"Well, I guess you need time. I'll be here if you need m-- someone."

For minutes, the two patrons only busy observing their each own drink. Staring at it and ocassionaly stirring it. The quiet brunette didn't even take a sip the warm coffee, which had turned into a cold one now.

The silence that only didn't feel deadly because of the melancholy songs wandering inside the cafe - which actually only gave more reason for them to be drown into their own thought - finally ceased when the woman lifted up her head. Yul reacted immediately - too fast even - that his neck made a sound when he matched the view.

For a full two seconds their gaze met. Yul held his breath, dreaded to hear what the woman in front of him finally would say after a long silence.

"Can you take me to Hyoyeon's place?"

When she actually spoke, he remember to breathe again.

"Whatever you need then."

"Thank you," she paused a bit, "and I'm sorry."

Yul's mouth curved upward a bit and he got up from his seat, gesturing for Jessica to follow. "I'm sorry too. I've crossed the line."

Did he?

In fact, Jessica couldn't blame him for what he did. They separated with the promise to be happy. She could understand his good intention. Although...dragging her away like that would lead to a stressful explanation to Taeng later. Well, she was partly on fault too since she didn't budge anyway. So yeah, she couldn't blame him.

Not wanting to drag the matter any longer, Jessica nodded lightly and got up from her seat.

Understanding the finality in it, Yul didn't comment anything and walked out from the cafe, with Jessica's tailing behind him.

+++

“Quite complicated, huh?”

“I know, right,” Jessica heaved another deep sigh.

Hyoyeon turned her head to Jessica's direction. She observed the brunette. “What do you feel now?”

“I...I feel bad. It feels terrible, Hyo. Mostly to Taeng. I mean, I’ve promised to try with him and he’s been nothing but all nice to me. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. I shouldn’t have said something like that in front of him.”

“Then why?” Hyoyeon liked always just went questioning right to the feel and made Jessica lost at her words. Her gaze met Hyoyeon's and the blonde was dead serious.

"I thought you know you shouldn't, then why?" Hyoyeon just needed to repeat the question.

The woman in question groaned and slumped her body to the couch. “I don’t know, Hyo. I don’t know," she exhaled with eyes closed tight.

The blonde woman let her friend to sink in her question first before saying anything again.

“I can only say this much, Sica," Hyoyeon touched Jessica's shourled gently. "The fact there’s nothing happened between you and Yul yesterday, already say a lot.”

If only the blonde woman knew how hard it was for Jessica to make it that way, she wouldn’t said that words so casually.

“You have made a commitment and I can see how much you’ve tried. People bound to fail once, twice, thrice, heck even many times. Doesn’t mean you should stop. Talk to him, apologize, with cool head.”

“What if I get riled up by the same issue?”

“Oh, Sica, honey.” She pulled the frustrated woman into a hug. “You really have a thick skull, huh?” She literally knocked at Jessica's head after pulling away.

“Yah!”

“What I mean is, you should listen to him first. Listen, listen, listen. Don’t just snap back aggressively.”

"I don't!"

Hyoyeon smirked and raised her one of her eyebrows knowingly. "See?"

Jessica's eyes widened, knowing she easily fell into her bestie's trap. Her friend was right. She was too stubborn to listen all these times with Taeng.

“I...I...I’ll try.”

“Nah, that’s my good girl!”

Jessica smiled and hugged the blonde woman. “Thanks, Hyo. I don’t know what to do without you.”

“I know, I know. I’m that fabulous.”

Jessica shoved away her best friend. “Jeez. You always ruin the moment.”

Hyoyeon laughed out loud.

“I hate you.”

“I hate you too!”

***

A man in light brown suit flipped through the documents on his desk. He had tried to read through it, once, twice, flipped back and forth, but his mind just couldn't concentrate since this morning. Not after what happened yesterday.

He had done something terrible, something not a second he once thought he would capable of doing. He was mad - fuming mad - at finding his wife interacting with the man he loathed. But it wasn't the thing that triggered his uncontrolled emotion. It was her words, about not acknowleding her own father.

Taeng himself grew up without one. He had no father figure until he was 16 years old when Kim family adopted him. It irked him how the woman couldn't see the wonder in having one for her entire 28 years. One who loved her so dearly.

Jung Yunho might not be the best parent out there, but still he was Jessica's father. The father that loved her so much. Too much that he didn't care if his own daughter hated him, only for her best benefit.

+++

A short man pushed a wheelchair to the open garden. He headed to the bench near the pond. He stopped the wheelchair next to the bench, while himself took a seat there.

"Dad, can I ask you question?"

"What is it, Taeng?" The older man absentmindedly answered as he stared at the pond near him.

"Why don't you go home? It's been months, Dad."

Mr.Jung turned his attention to his son-in-law. "Why? Do you miss me?" He sent a wink in the end.

Taeng was undoubtedly shock, stated by his hanging jaw and widened eyes. "Oh my god, Dad." He covered his eyes from seeing another unsightful view - not that Jung Yunho was unsightful, but his recent action felt so awkward for him. "Don't do something like that." It only triggered a round of laughter from the older man. Seeing him could laugh freely like that made the younger one felt a bit relief. Although the price was quite bothersome: a sight of his father-in-law winking at him.

"Sica's probably missing you too." Taeng talked again after the laugher had died.

The father smiled sadly. "I doubt it, Taeng. You don't have to try to cheer me up."

Taeng wanted to argue about his daughter's feeling but decided to not do it since he wasn't exactly sure about her feeling either. He just guessed it. After all, a child would miss their parent, right?

"But...don't you miss home, Dad?" He asked this instead.

"I do," he reached down to the pond and play a bit with the water there. "But it's best for me to not be there for time being."

"What do you mean, Dad?"

"Oh, son. I don't believe you're that dense."

Of course he was not. He knew. He understood his reason for staying far from his own house, without his daughter. He could tell it easily.

Jung Yunho loved - loves - her daughter too much.

At first he only hoped to see his daughter's face from time to time. Her presence itself already gave the energy and motivation he needed. Yet, the reality didn't happen as smooth as he wished.

He was aware that his presence in the house only lead to cold and unaffectionate Jessica. It gave uncomfortable feeling for his daughter also added more burden and thought to the daughter.

He became weaker day by day and had to spend days, even sometimes weeks, to seek for treatment.

Actually, he knew it was all useless, but he needed to try everything. Even for a slightest chance to prolong his life. To make sure his daughters were taken care well, with the right person.

He pulled off a tough front facing his daughter. With much push he tried to make sure his daughter safety and well-being. Yet, his body was no longer cooperative enough for him to put a strong facade anymore. He was breaking.

And as much as he wanted his daughter's support, he didn't have a heart to tell them about what he'd been going through. They already had so much in hand. They didn't need to worry more. In order to do so, he kept the truth in the dark and chose to not let himself be seen in his weakest form.

Taeng knew all of it.

"You love her so much." The words rolled of Taeng's mouth, lingered with sadness.

"You will understand it when you have children yourself." He said, rather casually. "Come here, son. Help me."

Taeng carefully helped the older man to stand. He gave the cane to him and let his other free hand to grip his arm for support. Mr.Jung started to walk and resumed the conversation.

"She has always been my little princess, Taeng."

"I love both of my daughters. Unlike her sister, Soojung already knows what's the best for her. I don't have to worry about her. While Sica...She is quite hard."

"I still remember that day when she asked me to roll in fashion instead of business. Of course I was against it. Jeguk Corp. is something precious to me. I wanted to trust it to no one but my own daughter. But I think I'm just too weak to her. I finally gave in, with a ridiculous promise, just so I knew how much she was certain and will to give for her chosen path. Time after time, she proved herself. I could see her big passion and talent in her doings."

"The promise has been long forgotten. I could always find a right person for the company later. Beside my daughter's happiness is more important."

"So when she had a boyfriend, a serious one, I wanted to welcome the man. Knowing what kind of man that my daughter has fallen for. Too bad, I found this man didn’t value my precious daughter more than his petty job."

Mr.Jung clenched his cane tighter and closed his eyes. The eyes shut tight, trying to repress the anger that try to surface. "Angry is an understatement. I was enraged. I would not let someone like that taking care of my daughter. I could not."

"And so I finally brought up about our promise again. I have to make sure my daughter is in good hand when I'm no longer there to protect her."

Taeng's mouth opened, wanted to utter something back but before he could said anything, the father already turned to him and with a sad look and bitter smile, he just said,

"I know, Taeng. She hates me for all those pain from separating with that boy. I know. But it's nothing for me, if it's for her best."

+++

"Mr.Kim?"

The voice of his secretary garnered his attention back to present time. "Ah, sorry, what is it, Yujin-ssi?"

"It's the file you asked for, Mr.Kim." She put some files next to the documents Taeng was studying - or just flippin through to be exact. "I have knocked several times, but there is no answer so I get worried and come unexcused. I'm sorry, Sir."

"It's okay. No need to make a fuss."

She nodded, feeling grateful for her boss' kindness.

Taeng checked the files first to make sure the documents was what he asked for. "Okay then. Thank you. Oh, and can you notify them again about the meeting tonight?"

"Okay, Sir. I'll excuse myself then."

He nodded.

Well, one more meeting and the long night would be over.

Or...

He wis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter