New Job

Guardian of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The room was silence when Park Shin Hye awoke from a long sleep. The world around her, even though she couldn’t see it, felt like it was spinning. She slowly brought her hand to her eyes and found it wrapped with bandage covering around her head. She bit her lower lip trying to adjust herself with the uncomfortable feeling in her head.

After a while, she was slowly brought back to her senses when memories of what happened creeping into her mind. She gasped in fear as her hands were trying to touch her surroundings. She found herself in a bed, it was small and unfamiliar. She moaned in pain as she tried to sit up. Her heartbeat raced and she was panting hard for air.

Shin Hye tilted her head when she heard someone opened the door and footsteps walking towards her. She clenched tightly onto the blanket as she straightened herself up, trying to figure who was the person that came into the room.

“Ahhh… don’t touch me.” She screamed when she felt a pair of hand touched her skin.

“Shin Hye, calm down. It’s me.”

 She let out a gasp as she lifted her head up when she heard the familiar voice. Her hands were shaking or to be exact, her whole body was trembling. She swallowed hard, tilted her head to the side, trying to catch the sound around her.

“Shin Hye, don’t worry. It’s me. You are save now, you are fine.”    

She slowly brought her shaking hand up to reach the person who was standing beside her. “Soo Hyun oppa. Where am I?” She asked with a quavered voice.

Kim Soo Hyun sighed as he held tightly onto her hand. “You are in the hospital.”

“Hospital?” She asked as she tried to recall what happened before she passed out. She then touched her eyes again before facing to the voice beside her. “What happened to my eyes? Why is it covered with bandage?” She asked nervously.

Kim Soo Hyun leaned down and held onto her arms. He let out another sigh before looking at her. “Shin Hye, listen to me. You have to calm down and control your emotion. If you keep moving and stay uncontrolled, it will be very bad for your eyes. You have to control yourself not to cry and let your eyes rest.”

Shin Hye gasped again. “I don’t understand. What happened to my eyes again? What else can worsen it anymore? I was already blind 9 years ago.” She asked in confusion.

“It’s different now.” Kim Soo Hyun inhaled deeply before he continued. “You just had a corneal transplant surgery yesterday. You have to stay calm and take care of your eyes before it fully recovered.”

Shin Hye froze at what she just heard. Her body was trembling even more now as she lifted her head up at Kim Soo Hyun. “Corneal transplant?” She asked in disbelief. Her head was spinning as she brought her hand to hit it hard to make the pain to go away.

“What are you doing? You will hurt yourself.” Kim Soo Hyun grasped her hands tightly.

She shook her head vigorously. “Corneal transplant...” She repeated again. “Who’s cornea?” She asked worriedly.

Kim So Hyun looked away as he kept quiet.

Shin Hye’s breathing came out more ragged when she didn’t get any answer from him. She bit her lip hard to force herself to think about what happened before all these. She was with them. They were arguing, they were shouting, they were fighting and then, she heard a loud gun shot.

She started to panic and held tightly onto Kim Soo Hyun. “Where is him? And who’s eyes is this?” She asked urgently. She shifted impatiently when he didn’t reply. “I asked you whose eyes is this? It has to be someone dead, right. Someone is dead and donate the cornea to me. Who is it? Tell me!” She screamed again as she tried to get off from the bed. She was shot up with a rush of adrenaline.

Kim Soo Hyun’s arms moved quickly as he pinned her back down onto the bed. “Shin Hye. Stop struggling. You will hurt yourself. If you don’t stay still, I have to give you an injection. Stop moving. Please!” He sighed in worried when he saw tears leaked through the bandage, leaving trail down her face.

Shin Hye let him pushed her down because she was too weak to struggle. She tried to calm down but everything was simply too overwhelming.

“Please listen to me. If you don’t calm down and let your eyes to rest, everything will be useless. The cornea will be a waste. You have to treasure it because the person who gave you his eyes doesn’t want you to be like this. He hopes you could see the world through his eyes.” Kim So Hyun said.

Shin Hye sniffled as she turned her head to the opposite side to face away from him so she could breathe properly. She tried very hard to calm herself down as she fisted her hands tight with her nails bite deeply into her flesh. “Oppa…” She uttered softly. She bit her lip as tears started to wet the bandage again. “Min Ho oppa…”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

One year ago…

 

Lee Min Ho groaned in frustration when the sunlight that seeped through the window hurt his eyes. He came back into his senses and was now fully awake when he felt a warm hand wrapping around his waist. He sighed. Without the need to open his eyes and turn to his side, he knew who was sleeping beside him.

“You broke the rules again.” He said in a deep and hoarse voice as he took the hand away from him. He heaved another sighed as his eyes flipped opened when the person beside hovered on top of him, with their eyes locked at each other.

“What rules did I break this time?” Yoon Eun Hye asked as she bit her lower lip seductively. Her heart was frozen with his cold gaze and expression. She narrowed her eyes at him. “You were not this cold last night. Why do you always looked so different in the morning?” She asked teasingly but there was a disappointment crossed her gaze.

Min Ho looked at her with a slight grin on his face. “Rule number one, no strings attached. Rule number two, you have to leave before I wake up. Rule number three, you cannot interfere my life. Rule number four, don’t touch my things. And rule number five, don’t fall in love with me.”

The smile on Eun Hye’s face faded as she straightened herself up, straddling his waist.

Min Ho’s gaze dropped down to her body before looking up at her again. “You are still here when I woke up just now and you are wearing my shirt. You broke two rules in one go.”

Eun Hye looked down at the oversized shirt she was wearing. She chuckled as she slowly pulled away from him and picked her clothes up from the floor before she made her way to the washroom.

Min Ho exhaled sharply before he got up of the bed and walked towards the closet. He simply took a t-shirt out and put it on. He then made his way to the open kitchen and poured a glass of water to drink. His attention was caught when he heard someone pressed the passcode and opened his door. He smirked when he saw Kim Woo Bin stepped inside with a plastic bag in his hand. He put the glass down as he walked towards the couch and took his phone to check on the missed calls.

“I was calling you since 7am this morning.” Woo Bin said as he looked up at the wall clock and heaved a sigh. “It’s 11am already.” He put the plastic back on the coffee table as he shook his head looking at the empty beer bottle lining up on the table. He sat down on the sofa chair opposite as he stared at him. “Your brunch.” He said as he pointed at the plastic bag on the coffee table.

Min Ho looked up from his phone and nodded without replying him.

Woo Bin shifted uncomfortably when he felt something underneath him. He moved slightly to the side and his eyes widened when he took out a pair of black lace top stocking. He turned to Min Ho and glared at him. “Really?”

Just then, someone snatched the stocking away from his hand. He looked up and let out a deep sigh when he saw Eun Hye.

“Sorry. It’s mine.” She said with a smile as she walked towards Min Ho and leaned forward. He jerked his head to the side before her lips could touch his. Eun Hye bit her lip and let out a bitter smile. “Got it. Friends with benefits.” She said as she took her handbag that was laying down beside him. She turned around and flashed Woo Bin a smile before she made her way to the door and walked out of his apartment.

Woo Bin turned back to Min Ho and looked at him. “You have nightmares again?” He asked, looking concern.

Min Ho put his phone down and took the lunchbox out from the plastic. “What are you talking about?” He asked as he spooned the food to his mouth.

“If you didn’t have nightmares, you wouldn’t bring her back home with you. You just need someone to distract you and stay beside you so that you can have a good night sleep.” Woo Bin said with his arms crossed, leaning his back against the sofa chair.

Min Ho swallowed the food in his mouth without chewing further as his eyes looked at the photo placing neatly on the cabinet. That was the only family photo he managed to save during the incident that happened 17 years ago. If he didn’t put the photo there and looked at it each and every day, he afraid that he will totally forget how his parents looked and how they smiled. He took a deep breath before looking back at Woo Bin.

“Stop talking like you understand me. You are giving me goosebumps with the sour taste in your voice.” He said as he let out a cheeky smile. “You know I like girl. You are not my type and you don't stand a chance.”

Woo Bin chuckled. “You are just trying to change the topic.”

Min Ho smirked. “It’s just a one night stand. Nothing serious.” He said mindlessly.

“One night stand with the same partner over and over again? Please look at yourself. 187cm height, well-toned body, and don’t get me started with your perfect features. Do you think Yoon Eun Hye wouldn’t fall in love with you?” Woo Bin said.

Min Ho put the lunchbox down and crossed his arms, looking at his best friend. “That was only the outer body you are looking at. It contained a very ugly soul inside. Besides, from day one we started this relationship; we both know the rules of the game very clearly. One party step across the line, we are over.”

Woo Bin sighed as he nodded his head. “Well, this is your life and you choose how to live it.” He then took something out from his jacket and threw it over to Min Ho.

He caught it with his hand before looking at Woo Bin again. It was an envelope. “What is this? Money?”

“Sort of. It’s an offer letter.” Woo Bin said with a grin.

Min Ho narrowed his gaze as he took the letter out and read it. His eyes widened slightly as he chuckled. “Wow! The amount is very tempting.” He looked up at Woo Bin as he threw the letter on the table. “You want me to join you in Dragon Corporation as a security guard?”

Woo Bin shook his head. “It’s not a security guard. It’s a bodyguard. Personal bodyguard.”

Min Ho laughed softly. “I’m not a bodyguard material. I don’t know how to protect people. I just know how to harm them.”

Woo Bin sighed. “You are a police. You…”

“I was a police.” Min Ho cut him off. “I was no longer holding a gun 3 months ago. My left knee ligament was hurt, remember? I cannot fight and run like I used to be anymore. That was the reason why I left the police department.”

“I know. But we are not police. We just need to and protect our boss. It’s an easy job for you and look at the pay. It’s triple from what you get when you were a police.” He took a pen out and placed it on the letter. “Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter