Mysterious him

예기치 않은 (Unexpected)

 

You were blankly staring at the ceiling when your mom opened the door to your room and drove you out of your trance:

- Jiwoo-ah, just look at that positively. Don't consider it as an arranged marriage. His parents seem to like you a lot and they want their son to be happy so they want you to marry him. I'm sure he is a perfect guy. Your dad knows him and he always mentioned how hard-working he was when he wanted to achieve something. He is a successful young man. I believe he will be able to make you happy. 

- But mom, - you desperately looked into her eyes. - I have never seen him. I know that he was my dad's student and that their parents saw me by accident when they came to school to take their younger daughter but what do I know other than that? Am I going to go and share the same room with a complete stranger?! - you freaked out at your own words. 

- You will be thanking us after a year. You'll see. You know that what elders say always turns out to be right. Soon or late.

- But mom...

- No "buts". You don't even have a boyfriend to protest. I know that you don't. So just accept the luck that came towards you and don't talk too much. Now, let's go drink some tea. You had a busy day today. 

- How can you think about tea at this time?

- Then what should I think about? Everything's decided already. You sighed in defeat and followed your mom to the kitchen. "Okay, let's see where this all takes us"- you thought. 

 

- Yaaah, are you going to wake up or not? - someone yelled at your face, shaking your whole body. 

- WHAT?! - you shouted back. 

- Yah, Han Jiwoo, if you don't wake up now I'll just go outside and start yelling everywhere that you're going to get married to a guy who is a complete stranger to you.

-Yaaaah! - Your immediately opened your eyes and stood up. Your silly best friend whp has holding onto your shoulders all time lost her balance and fell off. 

- Careful! - she glared at you.

- Yah, don't even remind me this early that I'm going to be a part of stupid arranged marriage. Oh My God, I feel strange even pronouncing it like this, - you shivered even though it was really warm inside the room. It was June, for God's sake. 

- Chinguya, you must be saying that because you haven't seen him yet. O.M.G. I googled his name and I almost fell off my chair when his pictures popped up. He is so young! When people say CEO I imagine a bit older people but him, wow, I wonder how he's so successful at this young age. Plus he is so handsome and fashionista. He's not one of those standard type of tall guys. He is unique. I mean whatever he wears, it looks good on him. How can someone be this perfect? - my BFF dreamily looked at the ceiling and sighed with delight. 

- WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH YOU? Are you drooling over just pictures of him? What are you going to do when you meet him in real life? - you couldn't believe your BFF ever said such amazing stuff about a guy. She was the best at finding guy's bad sides, but this, this was something you never saw. She almost got you curious.

- Do you want to see his photos? - she looked at you in anticipation.

- Ye... But no, no. I don't want to. I want to see him in real life. I don't want to have any delusional expectations of him. You know that I get disappointed too fast, - you sincerely said. 

- Which is why I came here, - your BFF, Seul Bi, looked at you smiling.

- Wait, I don't undestand. Do you know something about our first meeting? - you raised an eyebrow.

- Of course, I do. Your mom called me yesterday and told me to help you get ready for the most important meeting in your life, - she clarified.

- What?! The most important meeting? Yah, the most important meeting in life was yesterday, when I was interviewed to work for one of the best fashion companies in our country. They have to call me this evening. Every time I think about it, I feel like losing my balance, - you said nervously biting your lower lip.

- Then wouldn't shopping would be the best cure to your nervousness? The less you think about it the less nervous you will be so we have to keep your mind from worrying for a whole day, right? 

- Right, - you admitted, still feeling nervous. 

- Shouldn't you start from washing up then? We don't have enough time. We have to be ready by 8 in the evening.

- Okay, okay. Why are you even so punctual today? - you laughed at your energetic BFF and went to the bathroom, getting ready for the long day ahead.

After having your breakfast, you started your intense shopping with your best friend. It was intense not because you bought too many clothes, but because your BFF liked to see every boutique, not leaving a single one. Your mom gave some extra money for you today so you felt free to buy anything you wanted. As you talked with Seul Bi you found out that the place of meeting was set to be a club. You weren't the "party girl" type even though you danced well. You just didn't like it that much except for special occasions.

- Is it true that we're back home? - you threw your bags on the floor and ran to the couch. 

- But you have to admit that we picked a great day to shop. So many new collections and the prices weren't that expensive as I thought.

- Yeah, we had a lucky day. Hope it continues to be lucky till tomorrow, - you said, thinking about a phone call from the company that you were interviewed in.

- Hope so too, - Seul Bi sensed what you were thinking about. - Hey, let's go prepare now. We only have 2 hours, - she looked at her phone.

It really took you almost 2 hours to take a shower, pick the accessories to a cocktail dress that you bought, do make-up and go out ready with Seul Bi. When you two went out, thinking about taking a taxi you saw a man in a suit standing beside his car. 

- Han Ji Woo-ssi? - he looked at you. You nodded a bit in response. - President told me to drive you and your best friend to the club, - he said.

- Uhm... Okay, why not, - you said, being slightly surprised at how generous your future husband could be.

You didn't have any problems entering the club because the driver told something to the security and you easily went in. The driver led you and your BFF to a private room. When you entered it, you got surprised by how big this room is. It was actually two times bigger than your bedroom.

Everyone in the room stopped their talking and looked at you curiously. And then you noticed someone looking at you longer than others. 

- Hello, sorry for interrupting, but I'm... - you paused before saying those words. "His name is Kwon Jiyong. I'm Kwon Jiyong-ssi's fiancée. Yes, say it" - you were having a battle with yourself when someone said:

- My soon-to-be-wife.

- Yes, - you looked at the person who said that and it was that young man who looked at you longer than anyone else in this room. 

- Here, sit, Han Ji Woo-ssi, - he tapped the place beside him on the sofa. 

- Yes. Nice to meet you all. I'm Han Ji Woo. And this is my best friend Lee Seul Bi, - you introduced yourselves and sat awkwardly beside "your future husband". But his aura wasn't awkward at all. It was warm and calm. You wondered how he could be so calm when his parents are forcing him to marry someone he never seen before when he could have every girl in this universe. You didn't need anyone to prove you, you already sensed that every girl in this room wants to be in your place.

The time went on and "your future husband" introduced everyone to you and Seul Bi. All of a sudden a girl from his company started talking about how Jiyong once hugged her from her back and how the journalists wrote an article about it, saying that she was Jiyong's girlfriend. "So here it goes, I knew it. These type of guys always have billions of girls around them" - you thought, listening to the story. After a while you all started playing "Truth or dare". "Are all people that work in fashion companies this childish?" - you thought. A girl with a doll-like face asked Jiyong to backhug that girl whom he had scandal with. "If they're doing that to make me jealous or something, excuse meee, I didn't even see your precious president till tonight and I feel absolutely nothing towards him" - you secretly scoffed to yourself.

Jiyong just casually walked up to her and backhugged her like it was the simpliest thing in the world. His face showed no expression. You looked at him with disbelief. Was he enjoying it or not? You couldn't tell anything by his face. 

 When he parted from her he looked at you, looking straight into your eyes. "He doesn't think that I could possibly be jealous of him, does he?" - you thought before he came up to you and asked you for a dance.

- Can I have a dance with my soon-to-be-wife? - he pulled out his hand waiting for you to take it. 

- Okay, - you took his hand and he held your hand tight, leading you both to the dance floor. You two started dancing and you found out for yourself that Jiyong was a quite good dancer too. 

- So how were you? You know, before you found that you had to marry me, - he leaned in for you to hear him better. 

- Fine, actually. I've been desperately searching for a work, - you sighed, also leaning in to answer him. You couldn't of which brand his perfume was but it smelt amazing indeed.

- Do you wanna work as designer? 

- How do you know? - you looked at him surprised. - Don't tell me you're a clairvoyant, - you laughed.

- Kind of. I have cool parents, - he chuckled.

- Well I agree, - you smiled. It was weird but you felt comfortable around him. Like he was someone whom you knew for a long time.

- Chinguya, it's them. They're calling, - Seul Bi came running and gave you something a rush. You looked at the screen of your phone and saw an unknown number. You quickly ran out of the dance floor and found a place where it wasn't that noisy.

- Hello? - you decided to pick it up anyway. Your BFF was right. 

- Hello, Han Ji Woo-ssi? It's from the Rose Company. I'm really sorry to enform you but you haven't passed the last round. Your designs were good and fresh but we can't give the place of designer because you don't have any documentations of where you learned designing. But if you want to be an assistant of a designer, then it's okay, - she said. You heart felt like breaking. But you knew it from the start. 

- No, it's okay. I'll agree to be an assistant then. Can I call you back to this number? It's a bit noisy here. Thank you. Goodbye, - you forced yourself to smile. 

- An assistant? - Jiyong raised an eyebrow.

- Yes, I passed the first round but I wasn't so lucky on the second one, - you answered.

- Why are they calling so late though? - Seul Bia asked.

- I don't know, Seul Bi-ah, - you sighed.

- How about working at our company? - Jiyong suddenly suggested.

- Yeah, why not? - Seul Bi got excited. You thought for a bit.

- But I don't want to be a designer there too then. I'm content with being an assistant, - you said.

- Why not? - Jiyong looked at you in awe. He felt how you got sad because you weren't accepted as a designer and now, you were turning off his offer. 

- Because I don't want people to whisper behind my back that I got to be designer just because I was your soon-to-be-wife, as you said, - you clarified.

- Okay then. You're my assistant starting from tomorrow then.

- What? Aren't you a CEO, not designer? - you were shocked.

- I'm a CEO but does that make me unable to still be a designer? 

- Well I didn't know...

- Hope you don't have anything against me, - he smirked at you.

- No, I don't, - you took a deep breath.