Neighbors

Life Is Fair

 

TOP just arrived in his new apartment building. He did his grocery before going home after he left Dara's. He put the paper bags of food and toiletries he bought in front of his door. He was fumbling in his bag, looking for his keys when he heard someone sigh while passing behind him. Curiously, he looked behind and was delighted to see a familiar face. He smiled at her and greeted, "Hey."

 

But she wasn't able to hear him. He saw her reaching for the door knob on the apartment next door. He saw her hesitate. And then a few seconds after, she sat on the floor leaning on the door. She spread her long legs on the floor not caring if someone might trip. Good thing she's wearing jeans.

 

'She seems troubled.' Then she remembered how hurriedly she left him and Dara earlier.

 

He walked to her. "Bom-ssi?"

 

Bom heard him. But she did not bother looking at him. His voice is not familiar, so she ignored him. Even though his voice is to die for ><' She's really not in the mood to talk to anyone. She is still have that unfamiliar feeling she had when she saw Dara's friend, TOP. Bom sighed. She knows she'll be seeing him more because Dara is her best friend. And she can't just go MIA on her because her system goes gaga over some guy. She knows she needs to get herself together. Firmly.

 

"Hey." he sat beside Bom. "Is everything okay?"

 

Bom irritably looked at him. And then she felt that unfamiliar warm something that enveloped her heart which is beating 100x faster than the normal rate. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped as she recognized who's sitting beside her. She felt like ice cold water is being thrown at her.

 

'OH........ MY.......... GOSH!!!!!!!!!'

 

Bom's world stopped spinning as she stare at his worried face. She can hear nothing but her heart beating like she did a two-hour cardio exercise.

 

"Is there something wrong?"

 

Bom absentmindedly shook her head. 'How can someone be so handsome?' Looking at TOP, Bom can't help herself see images with him in a small house with Baby Bommies and Baby Tabis, running around the house while laughing. 'A happy family.' Bom shook her head vigorously to erase the images.

 

"Am I bothering you?"

 

'Wha---?'

 

"NO!" That was Bom.

 

"Ow---kay?" TOP smiled.

 

Bom timidly looked away from him and hugged her knees. 'Someone should implement a law saying that TOP's smile is a criminal act.'

 

"So...." TOP looked ahead; looking at the tall apartment buildings on the other side of the street. "You have been putting up with  Dara's craziness for a long time."

 

Bom's face softened at the mention of her best friend. "Yeah. She's a handful sometimes."

 

"Most of the time." TOP corrected. And they both chuckled.

 

 

 

"Thank you." TOP said, still looking in front of him, leaning his head on the wall.

 

Bom quizically looked at him.

 

"I'm glad Dara met you. She doesn't have a lot of friends when we were younger. She's really shy. I was worried about her when her parents and my family flew to Japan."

 

Bom bowed her head. Yes, she wasn't able to understand why her parents let timid, dependent Dara live alone in the big city of Seoul, away from the people she'd known all her life. 

 

"And then a few days after we left, she called me and told me she was partnered with someone so pretty in one of her school projects and they clicked like they were sisters from different mothers." TOP chuckled. "Seeing her today, I guess her parents made the right choice allowing her to stay here."

 

Bom thought for a moment. Well, he's right. The Dara she met three years ago was different from the Dara now. She is still clingy and crazy and stubborn. But now she's become responsible and more mature and more reliable. Bom smiled. Her Dara has become a better person.

 

"And Dara is also right about how pretty the friend she met is." TOP said, smiling at her.

 

Bom. Just. DIED.

 

'Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!'

 

 

She saw TOP stretched his legs and then stood up. He walked towards his apartment door. Bom is still looking at him dumbfounded.

 

He picked up his grocery and opened his door. He looked at Bom before going inside. "Nice talking to you Bom-ssi. Don't stay too long outside, arasso? Goodnight." And then he went inside and shut the door close.

 

Bom blinked.

 

She still can't believe that TOP and her talked. That he called her pretty. (OMO! OMO! DIES AGAIN!)

 

Bom sighed dreamily and smiled.

 

Each day moving forward is a hope that she will bump into him. See him. And fulfill her heart's desire to just be near him. A wall apart from each other.

 

 

==============================================================================

 

 

Jiyong felt his shouder becoming heavier as minutes passed. He knows that Dara is still with him, her head leaning on his shoulders. Despite of what has happened tonight, Jiyong can't help but smile. It is the first time he got this close to Dara. And the first time he is not ridiculing her. And the first time they are not shouting at each other. And the first time Dara touched him. The first time Dara comforted her. And it felt damn real good.

 

Surprisingly he felt at peace in Dara's arms. Her presence made him feel that everything is going to be alright. He felt that certain calmness he hasn't felt in years. That comfort he needed especially tonight.

 

Jiyong lifted his gaze and looked at Dara beside him. He smilingly shook his head. Dara is already sleeping. How was she able to sleep in this position? They are still sitting on the sidewalk.

 

He felt Dara's hand from his back snaking to his arms. Dara is now hugging his arms. He smiled. Never in his life time did he think that this moment will come.

 

A light in his dark night.

 

He looked up in the sky and saw the stars shining brightly at them; his favorite constellation, Orion, just right above them.

 

Tomorrow he will face the day differently. Especially without his mom.

 

He sighed and then looked at Dara again.

 

He smiled. He leaned his head on Dara's. Tomorrow is another day.

 

 

 

------

 

shout out to my new subscribers meceles_22, Incredibl3, jlovesd and euolenna! ^________________^

 

yey finally i am able to update again! *\(^-^') My updates will be longer than the last. More family updates and more DaraGon and TopBom moments coming up! :D :D :D