Chapter 4

Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sophie’s POV

Seunghyun has been giving me the cold shoulder ever since we came back from dinner at my parent’s house. My parents were a little harsh on him, mocking him and all but that’s what parents are for right? His coldness towards me is making everything worst and I decided to move back to my parent’s house. I didn’t seem to belong in the picture as I watch how close Seohyun is with Seunghyun. Partially it may be my fault for driving Seohyun away but how was I suppose to deal with a kid that I just knew.

 

“Are you still experiencing any headache or blank episodes?” the doctor asked as he waved his pen-like torchlight in front of my eyes.

“Yeah, occasionally but I still can’t seem to regain my memory.”

The old man walked over to his table to pick up my file as he flipped through the papers. I remained silent only the sound of rustling paper could be heard throughout the whole office.

“Well, do you want to regain your memory?”

“I guess.”

“Because there are some patients that purposely block their own brains from regaining their memory. Some fear that when their memories come back, some memories come with drama, some are simply traumatized by their accident.”

“Oh no. that’s not it. I’m not afraid of the accident.”

“So what are you afraid of?”

“Aah, I just, I don’t know. It’s just that what if I don’t like the life I had? Or what if I liked it too much?”

“Well, I only did one psych course so this may be terrible advice but I honestly think you have to try and fill in the holes. You can still decide you want a different life but if you don’t at least, open yourself up to remembering them for fear of your own past. You owe yourself and the people you might be erasing from those lost memories that much.”

I silently nodded as the doctor’s word resonated in my head. It rang over and over again, as if haunting me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s been two weeks since I last witnessed Sophie’s rendezvous with Minwoo. She moved out of our house back to her parent’s reasoning that she needed to help Sara prepare for her wedding. I have lost all my will power to hold on to her yet none of us have submitted a divorce appeal, we were simply hanging there. We were both probably waiting for a next fall out between us. Seohyun was slowly coming into terms that Sophie and I are probably never getting back together. Despite Sophie’s attempts to be closer to Seohyun, our darling daughter is still not very much excepting of the new Sophie.

 

“Hyung, please eat your food.” Youngbae said, placing down his chopstick. The others who were busy chowing down their food stopped to look up at me. All eyes were fixed on me.

“I am.” I answered him casually.

“Hyung, maybe, just maybe you can let pass noona on the kissing thing. She is still not herself.” Daesung timidly uttered.

“Hyung! I have an idea. What turns noona on?” Seungri added cheekily.

"Yah maknae! That's private!" Jiyong said smacking Seungri's head.

I stayed mimed, unsure of what to say. My fingers were fiddling with the chopstick, poking my food that has been untouched since it was placed in front of me.

“Have you made Soph read the book again?” Jiyong asked.

“Huh?”

“Remember what I told you about the excitement of reading your favorite book? Have you actually let her read your book?”

“I don’t know.” I answered stuttering.

“See, you haven’t even tried and you are already giving up. That’s not the hyung we know.” Youngbae said encouragingly patting my back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sophie invited me to Sara’s bridal shower as her plus one. It was held at the Park’s mansion on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. The spring breeze was casually cooling everyone in attendance. The beautiful garden was decorated with beautiful white tulips. Unfamiliar faces surrounded me; I was the odd one out. With a drink in hand I aimlessly roamed around the sea of people when I saw a familiar brunette walking up to me. She was wearing a beautiful yellow sundress that stopped right above her knees, showing off her white milky legs. Her chocolate brown hair tied beautifully in a bun with a yellow magnolia slipped into the bun. Her rosy cheeks were complimenting her red luscious lips and her eyebrows arched primed and perfect. She smiled widely at me,

“Hey!” She said.

“Hey you back! You dyed your hair back.” I said stuttering nervously.

“Yeah, I reapplied for medical school. I don’t think they would fancy a red haired freak show.”

“Hey, don’t say that. You are beautiful no matter what color your hair is.” I was looking at the ground, somehow nervous yet I know her like the back of my hands.

“So, how are you?”

“I’m as usual.”

“What about Seohyun?”

I gulped hard at the question. She was asking about her daughter yet she sounded foreign and unloving.

“She’s like that too. Ok I guess.”

“Oh, cool.” She said, fiddling with her fingers. She too seemed to be thinking of things to say. She was about to excuse herself away when I grabbed her hand.

“Erm, what’s your favorite book?” I blurted out of the blue.

She smiled, hiding her laugh. “What? Why the random question?”

“Well, I was thinking. Maybe we should start all over again. I mean like the excitement of reading your favorite book. Reading your favorite book all over again kinda thing.” I said tripping over my tongue badly.

She laughed hard and said “Seunghyun, you are not making any sense.”

“Let’s go on a first date again. As if we really don’t know each other.”

“That’s not fair. You know a lot about me.”

“I’ll pretend like I don’t. We won’t talk like we have Seohyun or anything.”

“I guess that’s ok.”

“Does tomorrow sound good? I’ll pick you up.”

“Sure” she said nodding and smiling at me.

The burdening weight was lifted from me like the relieve I experience the first time I asked her out. Maybe Jiyong was right, reliving the experience might make her fall for me once again and it became my confidence booster.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With a bouquet of red roses in hand and my heart on my sleeve I confidently knocked on the Park’s gigantic door right before lunch only to be greeted by her father’s glaring stare and sarcastic smirk. I greeted him politely, he was about to say something but Sophie came in the nick of time so he had to bite his own tongue. Closing the door behind her, she greeted me with a peck on the cheek. I was so taken aback by her spontaneous actions that I remain rooted unable to respond, as if the kiss froze my whole system. She smiled at me and took my hand, intertwining her fingers with mine. Everything like it used to, yet I was not convinced.

“Hey, are we going for a date or not?” she said pulling my hands to follow her.

“Oh right.” I smiled sheepishly; my heart was beating so hard I could feel it pounding against my ribs, ready to escape my body.

“Oh my, Choi Seunghyun, are you blushing?” she teased me poking my cheeks with her fingers.

“No, I’m not.” I said trying to avoid her poking fingers.

“Liar!” she pouted at me.

“Oh, by the way, I have to get back before 10 AM. I need to help Sara pick out a wedding dress.”

“Only the first date and you are already inviting yourself to stay the night? What am I going to do with you Choi Sophie?” I said smirking mischievously at her.

“Yah! Not what I meant smarty pants! Don’t get any ideas!” she said hitting my arms franti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter