Chapter 12

Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sophie drove up the driveway of their mansion. The darkness of the night accompanied her as her black Mercedes cut through the road up to the car garage. Up front the main door, she saw a few police cars parked emitting its blue and red lights around and around. The door that showed their exclusive Venetian style foyer was wide open as a few officers stepped out holding what seems to be Minwoo. She felt her heart drop to the ground. So it was Minwoo that tried to hurt Seunghyun and Seohyun. The rage shot through her system in an instance. Her blood boiling in anger, she jumped out of her car and towards the officer. Marching towards Minwoo, the commanding vibe was bursting from her.

“So you were the one who hurt my husband and daughter?” she asked as she looked at Minwoo in filth.

“I’m sorry. I just wanted your love. I was selfish. I love you don’t you see that? I’d do anything for you.” Minwoo said with both his knees rubbing against the dusty ground.

Sophie glared at Minwoo who looked helplessly at her. The piercing anger was killing every bits and piece of love she once had for him. She lost every shred of respect for him. His pleading eyes were begging for her forgiveness. Sophie heaved in nuisance. Later an old man was ushered out of the house. Once again, Sophie felt anger overwhelming her. She walked up to the man she once looked up to and loved dearly despite his conservative ways.

“You! How could you hurt my daughter? She is also your our own flesh and blood.” Sophie questioned, her shout boomed ripping through the silence of the night. Looking straight into her father’s eyes, the light pouring out from the gigantic house was shinning down on them. Trails of black were trickling down her face, ruining the makeup on her facade. Before the old man could answer, Sophie ran back to the house with her hands covering to muffle her cries. She couldn’t believe it. Maybe that was why Seohyun was afraid of her. Her own father tried to kill her daughter. Her heart was in a million pieces. Will Seunghyun ever be able to forgive her? Sophie wiped the tears that trickled down her cheeks nonstop with the sleeve of her sweater. She leaned her body against the hard concrete wall. Her knees weaken, giving way for her body to collapse on the cold marble floor. She curled up into a ball in the middle of the magnificent golden entrance hall of the house. Her cries alternated with hiccups and sniffs, suddenly she felt arms wrapping itself around her.

“Unnie, how can appa be so cruel to hurt me like this?” she sobbed into Sara’s shoulders. Sara caressed her baby sister’s head, allowing her to cry more on her shoulders. Sophie’s tears were wetting her blouse.

“I never thought appa would do it too but he did. I told the police, I’m testifying against them.”

Sophie pulled away from Sara’s arm and looked at her in confusion.

“You would do that for me?”

Sara nodded and cleared .

“Sophie, there is something else you need to know.”

“What is it unnie?” her question stuck between her hiccups.

“Seunghyun did not file for divorce. Appa forged his signature and to you it seemed as if Seunghyun sent the papers but he didn’t.”

Sophie smiled at Sara. She pulled her sister into her arms, hugging her tightly.

“Thank you unnie! That means so much to me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun silently sat in the wheelchair as a nurse pushed him out of his room. The doctor gave him the permission for him to get out of bed to see Seohyun. Seunghyun’s smile was plastered over his face from ear to ear.

“You are a real daughter pabo Seunghyun ssi. I wish my husband as more like that.” The nurse complimented him.

Seunghyun smiled goofily as his fingers danced on his phone scrolling through his photo album. He held up his phone closer for the nurse to see.

“I fell in love with her the moment I first felt her movement when she was still a peanut in my wife’s belly.”

The nurse laughed heartily while she was still looking at Seohyun’s picture.

“That’s very sweet of you. She’ll grow up into a beautiful young lady, you are going to have a hard time fighting off the boys from her. But I’m really not surprise, your wife is very pretty herself. You are a lucky man Seunghyun ssi.”

The nurse’s words hit Seunghyun in confusion. How did she know? His thought lingered for a while before he asked.

“You’ve meet her?” he asked, puzzled.

“Your wive?”

Seunghyun nodded.

“Oh yeah. She visits you everyday but for an hour or so then she leaves. I assume to be with your daughter. You don’t think she would just let you be on your own without checking in on you from time to time.” the nurse assured him as she chuckled.

Seunghyun sat still as silence wrapped itself around him. So Sophie has been checking in on him. A million thoughts were running through his head. A tiny smirk ripped on his face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun pushed the wheelchair through the intensive care doors from the waiting room where the nurse left him. From there, in a distance he saw something he has longed missed. A distant memory of happier days that he used to witness every day, giving him a sense of security and motivation to work harder. His tears brimmed in his eyes, he sniffed a little. For one split second he forgot how to breathe. Seohyun sat properly with her legs crossed on the huge hospital bed. Her long brown hair was properly mended into a perfect French braid. She was smiling from ear to ear despite the tubes in her nose that made it possible for her to inhale. In her lap was an oversized brown dog. The bedside table next to her had a bunch of balloons tied to them as it was filled with smaller toys tied with ribbons. Sitting on the bed facing Seohyun was Sophie. She was in a cute pink flirty romper and studded high cut sneakers that dangled far above the ground from the bed. Her chocolate hair tied to one side and was complimented with a white headband. In one hand she was holding a baby bowl and another was holding a tissue, wiping Seohyun’s mouth as she fed the little girl.

“Daddy!” the little girl happily shouted at Seunghyun despite her husky voice.

Sophie turned to the direction the little girl pointed. Their eyes meet, locked in each other’s gaze. Seunghyun’s hearts pounded so hard like every time he sees Sophie. A huge shy smile cracked on his face. Sophie smiled timidly at him. She walked up to him, pushing him closer to Seouhyun’s bed.

“Finally you’re awake!”

“Daddy! Look at this doggie omma bought for me. It’s so huge right?” she asked excitedly.

Seunghyun turned to Sophie to ask why her voice was hoarse. So she explained everything the doctor told her from A till Z even the conditions of Seunghyun’s injury. She patiently elucidate to him.

“I miss you so much princess.” Seunghyun said pouting his lips for the little girl to peck. She wrapped her tiny arms around Seunghyun, happy to finally reunite with her father. Sophie stood beside Seunghyun as she watched on.

“Daddy, omma said she will bring me to the petting zoo when I get better.” The little girl explained animatedly.

“Omma also help me draw and color these pictures.” She further told her father excitedly, grabbing the sketchbook from the bedside table. She opened each page to show to Seunghyun what she and her mother have been doing.

The little girl scooted to one side to allow Seunghyun to lie down in bed with her. Seunghyun gladly climbed and wrapped his right arms around the little girl.

“You both did this? What else did you and omma do without me? How can you have fun without me?” Seunghyun pouted cutely at his daughter who lay in his right arm. The little girl looked up into Seunghyun’s eyes. Her adorable eye smile made Seunghyun’s heart blossom. Her tiny hands then caressed his face and she chuckled.

“Don’t cry. It was because you sleep too long. She brought me delicious food. Omma read me stories and she also stayed here all night so no monsters get me. She tied my hair prettily. Is my hair pretty daddy?”

The little girl proudly showed off to Seunghyun. Seunghyun showered Seohyun’s little head with tiny kisses.

“It’s very pretty. You’re very pretty. Omma did a great job.”

Seunghyun complimented smiling as he turned to look at Sophie, who was fast asleep in the armchair next to the bed. Seohyun peeked from beside her father’s well built chest.

“Your omma must be tired.”

Seunghyun got up and placed a blanket to keep Sophie warm. He then climbed back on the bed to allow Seohyun to cuddle in his arms once more.

“Daddy, do you still love omma?” the little girl asked innocently, with her large innocent brown eyes looking straight into Seunghyun’s.

“She’s my first love sweetheart, I will always love her.” Seunghyun smiled at her as he hugged her tiny body tighter.

“I love omma too.”

“Let me read you this book.” Seunghyun suggested trying to change the subject picking up the book from the bed side table. The little girl nodded, cuddling her brown dog in her small arms ready to listen.

 

Seunghyun read “Snow White and the seven dwarfs” to his little princess. The little girl enjoyed every part of it. Seunghyun gave life to each character with all his might, changing his voice accordingly. She laughed and giggled at her father’s quirky attacks. Halfway through the story, the little girl fell asleep in Seunghyun’s arm. He carefully got out of bed, trying his best not to wake Seohyun who was on her thumbs, hugging the brown dog in slumber land. He tucked the blanket around her small body. Seunghyun then bent down to kiss her forehead. His love for the little girl was overwhelming him; he smiled to himself as he looked at Seohyun’s peaceful face. Seunghyun walked towards Sophie who was curled up like a ball in the armchair. He caressed her head, pushing her fringe from her forehead affectionately.

“Soph, wake up Sophie.” He softly whispered in her ears.

In no time Sophie woke up, she blinked a couple of times to clear her vision. Her forehead creased as she tried to minimize the blinding light from entering her eyes.

“Go back home Soph. I can ask help from the boys to look after Seohyun. You need to take a break.”

“No it’s okay. I want to stay here.” She insisted.

Seunghyun sat in the chair next to her. His eyes fixed on the girl he once had the honor to call his wife. Sophie looked towards Seohyun.

“She’s asleep? But she just woke up.” She asked in shock.

“Yea, she fell asleep when I read her Snow White. Just let her have a rest. You need yours too.” He explained, resting his head on the headrest.

Sophie observed Seunghyun for a while. She gulped and took in a deep breath, filling her lungs with air. The sterile stench of the hospital entered her nose.

“Seunghyun, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, you can ask me anything.” Seunghyun answered without looking at Sophie.

“Did you know about my father’s affair?”

Seunghyun turned to look at her. He took a deep breath. He studied her face and slowly he nodded. Sophie exhaled in aggravation. She bit her lower lip, thinking. Her head bowed down, burying it in her hands.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she asks looking up to meet his gaze.

Seunghyun stayed silent as he kept staring into Sophie’s hazel eyes. He was lost in his thoughts. He rested his chin on his hands. He heaved a heavy sigh.

“There were so many times that I almost did, but to drive you away from your family again? That just felt wrong. I wanted your love, I, Just not like that. I wanted to earn it.” Seunghyun said stammering at his own words.

Sophie clasped her hands together in front of her. Exhaling loudly as she released all the frustration and disappointment that was inside her. She shook her head over and over again.

“Just because I let you go, it doesn’t mean that I wanted to. I just, I just want you to be happy.” Seunghyun continued in his stutter with his eyes fixed on Sophie.

“I don’t know. I just can’t afford to lose them again.”  

“So don’t.”

Sophie stared at Seunghyun, struggling to understand what he was trying to tell her. His soft eyes staring at her melted her, giving her comfort. All the lies surrounding her life frustrated her even more. She knew only Seunghyun would tell her the truth, the only person who was genuine to her.

Sophie reached out to Seunghyun’s hand. She held his hand in hers, tightly.

“Thank you, for always being true to me.”

Seunghyun smiled sincerely to her, squeezing her hand in affirmation.

A moment of impact.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The summer rain was falling hard onto the city, washing over every car, every bus, every building. The slippery wet road was packed with traffic. Cars lined up on the highway, jam packed heading into the city. Sophie was on her way from Seunghyun’s. She went to pick up her remaining things that she left. Seunghyun courteously helped her pack her things. The boxes rattled in the back seat with every bump on the road.  Sophie had moved out from their family home into a cozy new apartment in the downtown area of Seoul. Her new apartment was nothing like their family’s enormous mansion but it was more than enough for a single woman. It was located in an area full of go but it was closer to the art institute. Sophie reenrolled into the art institute. She herself was surprised by her abilities that she found when she drew with Seohyun back in the hospital. It was as if her hands remembered everything her brain couldn’t. Sophie attended some basic classes and she rediscovered her love for art that never died with her memories, they were simply suppressed by her own fear of her past.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A moment of impact. A moment of impact who’s potential for change has a ripple effect far beyond what we can predict or imagine. Sending some particles crashing into each together, making them closer than before.

 

“Soph, this is beautiful! That zebra is so cute!” Sara exclaimed in excitement as she rubbed her small four months baby bump.

“Dogs are hands off. Seohyun has dips on dogs and puppies.” Sophie joked and the two ladies laughed.

“Aigoo, fine. You can have your dogs.” Sara glared playfully at Sophie.

She has been drawing murals of animals for Sara’s nursery for the past few weeks. She drew lions, giraffe, zebras, tigers, monkey and many more all over the wall of the room in her sister’s fancy penthouse apartment. It was a gift for her future niece or nephew, a way she said thanks to her big sister for standing up for her against their father and Minwoo.

“I can’t wait to see Seohyun play with her cousin in here! Omo! Must be like us when we played together when we were little girls.” Sara was eagerly imagining things.

 Sophie simply smiled at her. She was closer to her sister now. Somehow the turn of events mended their sisterly bond. It also mended her relationship with her mother, making it stronger than it was before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun dropped his keys on the table by the main entrance. His little girl carried her cute school bag into the empty house on her own. The looming house had only Seunghyun and Seohyun as its occupants. He looked around the house that once shared their love story, now all that’s left are in his head. All were a mere memory only he can remember. It’s been almost a year since Sophie lost her memory, not remembering who he was, treating him like a total stranger. The pain pierced through him yet he smiled everyday like everything was fine. Nobody understood his pain because everyone believed his smile. How can he ever forget her because trying to forget someone he loved so dearly with all his heart and soul is like trying to remember someone he’s never even met before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seasons went by, passing with every tick of the clock. The chilly November wind blew, telling everyone winter was coming. The half trees outside, their brown leaves kept falling off with every of the strong wind. Sophie stared outside her living room window to the city below her feet. With a cup of steaming hot chocolate in hand, she sipped on the drink. White bubbly milky foams stuck to making a milk moustache that she quickly . She kept of staring at the clouds, with the TV playing on its own without anyone watching. She turned to look at her work station by the corner of the room, a sculpture of a woman bent in a ballet pose stood magnificently on the bench. She was thinking of a way to interpret the artwork but she was stuck. She herself didn’t understand her craft. She walked over to the front closet by the entrance door. There were a couple of boxes that hasn’t had the time to go through. Thinking maybe nothing so important was in them. They were boxes of the things she left at Seunghyun’s house. Maybe something in there can help her with the current sculpture she was working on. She placed her drink on the living room coffee table. The clay mug clink with the glass of the table, echoi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter