Chapter 8

Running...

Hye Jin’s POV

 

A few weeks go by with nothing major happening. Na Ri is still annoyed that her little attack didn’t deter Young Jae away from me and I haven’t seen Hyun Woo around for a while. Everything seems to be settling into its place and I’m thinking of finding the right timing to use mine and Young Jae’s codeword. 

Ever since Young Jae kissed me we’ve been on friendlier terms than usual. He steals a kiss every now and then but he doesn’t push it further than that. I’ve gotten to know all of his friends and Tae Jin has too. I have never seen Tae Jin so happy before but when he hangs out with 7 boys he’s on top of the world. They all spoil him senseless, even JB. 

Today, just like any other day I get up and get ready, and so does Tae Jin. But today is a special day. 

“Happy birthday Noona!” Tae Jin yells as he runs up to me after we’re both ready. I crouch down and he jumps into my arms. 

“Thank you baby brother.” I kiss his cheeks repeatedly and he tries to squirm away from me, laughing. I finally put him down and we have breakfast. 

“Hye Jin-ah, do you have any plans for your birthday?” Mum asks as she comes into the kitchen. I shake my head. 

“I don’t think anyone at school knows that it’s my birthday.” I tell her. 

“Does hyung know?” Tae Jin asks. I shake my head.

“I don’t think so.” I say, shrugging. 

“I can tell him for you!” Tae Jin says, excitedly. 

“No, no, no. Don’t do that. I don’t want to make a big deal out of it.” I say to Tae Jin. He pouts a little but nods. 

“Why don’t you invite your friends over? Your mother and I will go out on a date tonight, you can have the whole place to yourself.” Dad says, coming into the kitchen and kissing my Mum on the cheek. 

“Really? Is that okay?” I ask. Dad nods. “You know most of my friends at this school are guys right?” 

“As long as they aren’t as crazy as that Hyun Woo punk, I don’t care. It’s probably better that you have guys for friends, they can look after you.” I stand up and give my Dad a hug. It’s the nicest thing he’s said to me in a while. 

“Thanks, Appa. I love you.” I say as he hugs me back. 

“Love you too, princess. You invite your friends over and we’ll have everything set and ready for you when you get home.” he says, placing a kiss on the top of my head. 

Shortly after Tae Jin and I head downstairs and Young Jae is there waiting. Tae Jin runs over to him as usual and once again he’s being carried to school. 

“Tae, when you get older and become bigger than Young Jae, are you going to carry him around?” I ask, laughing. 

“If I can, I will.” he says, smiling at Young Jae. 

“I should get that on paper.” Young Jae says to me and we both laugh. 

“Hyung! You should come over today.” Tae Jin says, glancing at me. 

“Today? What’s today?” he asks.

“No day. Nothing special. My parents are going on a date and they said we could have friends over, so if you want to invite the guys we can have dinner at mine.” I say, rubbing the back of my neck. 

“Sure. I’ll send them a text later.” he says. Tae Jin looks at me and smiles. Man this kid will be the death of me. 

We drop off Tae Jin and start making our way to school. On the way Young Jae sends out the text. During the lunch break the minions come around and spend it with us. 

“What’s the occasion, Noona?” Bam Bam asks. I shake my head. 

“No occasion. I just have the house to myself tonight so my parents said I could invite some friends.” I say. I feel like a broken record. 

“Do they know your friends are all guys?” Yu Gyeom asks, wiggling his eyebrows. 

“Yah.” Young Jae warns him. I laugh before nodding.

“Yeah. I told my Dad and he’s cool with it. Thinks it’s good actually.” 

“Really?” Young Jae asks, raising an eyebrow. I nod. 

When the lunch break is over the minions go back to their class room and I glance at Young Jae. I think I know when to use the codeword. 

After school, we let Young Jae go home first so he can change and whatnot before coming over. Tae Jin and I arrive home and see that my parents have already ordered pizza and chicken and the fridge is packed with drinks (non-alcoholic, of course) and there’s an ice cream cake in the freezer. On the coffee table there’s a big box with a bow on it and a card. I get Tae Jin washed up and changed before I go over to open it. 

I open the card first. 

 

To our daughter Kim Hye Jin, 

 

Firstly, Happy birthday! We are so proud of the woman you are becoming and although we’ve had our rough patches we are grateful that you haven’t taken it to heart and resented us for it. We know that we have made you upset about the whole moving thing but after thinking about it we know that we made the right choice. We love to see you happy and if this move was what you needed then we will no longer complain about it anymore. We just hope that you can have a better judgement of boys in the future. (Your Dad wanted me to write that) Have fun with your friends tonight and we would love to meet them one day. 

Please remember that we love you with all our hearts and we are so glad that Tae Jin has a big sister like you to look after him. 

 

Love always, Mum and Dad. 

 

I feel myself start to tear up as I put the card back into the envelope and place it beside me on the couch. I pick up the box and put it in my lap. I open the lid and place it beside me, above the card. I lift the tissue paper that is covering my gift and gasp as I see what’s inside. There are a pair of heels I’ve wanted since forever plus a pair of wedged sneakers with angel wings on either side of them. I’ve always wanted a shoes with wings on them and now I have some. I cover them back up, noting that they’re too precious to touch and close it back up. I take the box and the card into my room and place them on my bed. I take out my phone and send a quick thank you text to my parents when I hear the doorbell ring. Tae Jin is at the door before me, jumping up and down with excitement. 

“Is it hyung? Is it hyung?” he asks. I ruffle his hair as I go past him and open the door. I smile as Young Jae stands at the door. “Hyung!” 

Tae Jin jumps on him and Young Jae carries him into the house. 

“Hey buddy. Did you miss me?” Tae Jin nods. 

“Yah, you just saw him like an hour ago.” I say. Tae Jin looks at me and shrugs. I laugh, closing the door behind them. “Make yourself comfortable.” 

Within half an hour the others arrive and we start eating. We make small talk and decide we’re going to watch movie later. 

“Let’s watch Transformers!” Tae Jin suggests. Young Jae and I exchange glances and I turn away quickly to hide my smile. 

“Tae, honey. Why don’t we let the hyungs pick, hm?” I say. He looks around at the older boys.

“You should pick Transformers. It’s a really good movie.” he says, crossing his arms. 

“What if I want to watch Harry Potter?” JB asks, squinting his eyes at him. Tae Jin pokes his tongue out at him. 

“Yah Kim Tae Jin. Where are your manners?” I say. “If you’re going to misbehave I will send you to your room so that you can’t watch the movie with us.” 

“Yes Noona.” he says, looking down. 

“Hye Jin-ah. There’s no need to be so harsh on him.” Mark says, putting an arm around Tae Jin and squeezing his shoulder. “It’s alright, Tae. We’ll watch Transformers and you can sit next to me when we do, okay?” 

Tae Jin smiles up at Mark and nods. 

“Oppa, don’t baby him. It’s because you all baby him that I have to be harsh on him.” 

“I guess that makes us better than you in his books.” Jr hyung chuckles. 

“Nah-uh.” Tae Jin shakes his head. “Hye Jin Noona is always number one. Especially today because it’s her birthday!” 

“Yah!” Tae Jin freezes and then slowly lifts his hands to cover his mouth. He hops off his seat and comes over to me, reaching out. I pick him up and sit him in my lap as he hugs me. 

“Sorry Noona, it was an accident.” he says. I rub his back comfortingly.

“It’s alright. They probably would have found out sooner or later.” Tae Jin shifts and turns around so that he’s facing everybody, still sitting on my lap. 

“I-It’s your birthday?” Young Jae says, eyes wide and staring at me. Actually, all 7 boys have the same expression on their faces. I nod. “Why didn’t you say so? We could have gotten you a present.” 

“That’s why I didn’t say anything.” I say, shrugging. 

“Tell us what you want. We will get it for you.” Jackson says, standing up. “Not right now though because well, it’s getting late. But tomorrow maybe?” 

I laugh at him as he sits back down. “I don’t want anything. Really.” 

“There must be something you want, Noona.” Bam Bam says. I hesitate for a second before turning to look at Young Jae. 

“Now that I think about it, there is.” Young Jae nods, urging me to continue. I look at him in the eyes, before taking a deep breath. “Transformers.”

 

A/N: Please don't hate me for ending the chapter here! XD I know I usually have both POVs in one chapter but when I went to copy it in it was soooooo long so I decided to end it at the end of Hye Jin's POV with her 'Transformers'. I will not keep you waiting long for the next chapter though. Promise! 

Thank you all so much for reading and leaving comments. I seriously cannot thank you guys enough. Especially my loyal minions who have followed me from Marks 'Baby Girl' till now. 

If there's anything you guys want to know about me or about the story don't hesitate to ask me yeah? I'll share with you what I can. I feel like I need to connect with all of you more :D 

Much love to you all!

xoxo