Chapter 18

Running...

Young Jae’s POV

 

A week later I’m at Hye Jin’s place, helping them prepare for Tae Jin’s birthday party. Hye Jin is helping Mrs. Kim in the kitchen when the doorbell rings. I run to the door and open it, jaw dropping at the person in front of me. 

“Hyung!” I yell, reaching out to jump on the man. He easily catches me and sternly pats my back. 

“How’s my brother-in-law?” he says as I let go of him. He lays his arm over my shoulders as we both walk into the house. 

“I’m good, hyung. How are you?” 

“I’m good. It’s good to be home though.” he says, smiling. We make our way to the kitchen and the two women squeal when they turn to see who arrived. 

“Oppa!” Hye Jin shrieks and jumps on her brother, the same way I did. He quickly puts her down and holds onto his back.

“Honestly. You two will be the death of me.” he says, grimacing. We laugh at him as Mrs. Kim gently pulls her son into a hug. I pull Hye Jin into my arms as Tae Jin comes running out of his bedroom at the sound of the commotion. 

“Who’s here?” he yells and then stops in the door way, face falling. “Oh.” 

“Oh? Your hyung came all the way down here to see you on your birthday and all you can say is ‘oh?’” Hyung Jin says, stomping over to pick up the now 7 year old boy. “Who were you expecting?”

“He was probably expecting his girlfriend.” Hye Jin says, as I rest my chin on her shoulder. Hyung Jin gasps and tries to look at Tae Jin’s face, but the child has buried it into the elders chest. 

“Tae? Do you have a girlfriend?” he asks, spinning around trying to get Tae Jin to move his face back. The 7 year old shakes his head. “Tell hyung, otherwise no present for you.”

This makes Tae Jin pull back and look at his hyung. “She’s not my girlfriend.” he says quietly. 

“But you like her?” Hyung Jin asks. Tae Jin shyly nods. Hyung Jin lifts Tae Jin into the air and spins a couple of times, laughing merrily. “My baby brother has his first crush! Oh god, I wish I was here to watch his little love bloom.” 

“She’s coming today, Oppa. You may be able to see the starts of it.” Hye Jin says, laughing before she disappears into the kitchen with her Mum again. 

Hyung Jin walks over to me, with a blushing Tae Jin. “Why don’t we get this little Casanova dressed and ready for his special lady?” 

I nod and follow the two into Tae Jin’s room. Once inside with the doors closed, Hyung Jin puts his brother down and he runs to his closet to get his specially bought outfit. 

“You two seem to be doing okay.” Hyung Jin says as he watches Tae Jin move around the room. 

“Yeah. We’ve sorted through our issues.” I say, sighing a little. Hyung Jin reaches over and pats  me on the shoulder. 

“You’re a patient man, Young Jae. Hye Jin is lucky to have you.” I blush a little at his words and smile up at him. 

“Thanks, hyung.” he smiles back and we both head over to Tae Jin who is already starting to strip out of his pyjamas. 

We help the birthday boy get dressed and I help to style his hair a little before we’re interrupted by a knock on the door. We look up and Hye Jin pops her head in. 

“Babe, the guys are here.” she says, looking at me. 

“Is Mark hyung here?” Tae Jin asks, grinning widely. 

“It seems like it. The other hyungs are probably here too.” Tae Jin claps his hands together as Hyung Jin finishes styling the young boys hair. 

We all leave the room together and Tae Jin goes running straight towards Mark. He jumps on the older boy and then he makes his rounds greeting the others, leaving JB till last. 

“Hey, Young Jae. Playing house, are we?” Jackson says as he comes up to me and slings his arm over my shoulders. I poke him in the side, causing him to yelp. He glares at me and I poke my tongue out at him. 

I turn my attention back to Tae Jin who is busy accepting his presents from all the boys. 

“Can I open them now?” he asks, eyes glistening in excitement. 

“No, Tae. You have to wait till after the party.” Hyung Jin says from his place besides Jae Bum. Tae pouts a little and Mark leans down to whisper something in his ear which makes the 7 year old boy smile and nod. I hear someone clearing their throat behind me and I turn around to find Hye Jin looking at Jacksons arm which is still over my shoulder. 

“Sorry Jackson, but can I borrow my boyfriend for a second please?” Jackson blinks a couple of times before snapping out his haze and nodding. I follow Hye Jin into her room and I wonder if I’m in trouble when she closes the door. 

“Is everything o-?” I stop asking as she steps forward and wraps her arms around my torso, nuzzling her face into my chest. I let my arms naturally wrap around her waist and lean my cheek on her head. “What’s wrong, baby?” 

I feel her shake her head and I pull away, making her look up at me. I raise an eyebrow and she smiles. “Is it wrong that I just wanted to hug my boyfriend?” 

“No it’s not. In fact, I think it’s a good thing. You should do it more often.” I reply as I pull her back in to continue our hug. “Seriously though, this is pretty random. Are you sure everything is okay?” 

“Everything is fine. Perfect in fact. I feel like everything is finally working itself out.” she says, tightening her grip. 

“So this is a happy hug?” I ask, smiling - even though she can’t see me. 

“Of course it is.” she says. I pull away again and cup the sides of her face after pushing her hair out of the way. Her arms remain around my waist as I lean in and place a quick peck on her lips. She pouts a little at the unsatisfactory length of the kiss and whines a little. I laugh a little before leaning back down and capturing her lips in a less innocent kiss. I feel Hye Jin relax in my arms and I let my hands drop to grasp the back of her neck and return the other arm around her waist, pulling her closer. Hye Jin’s hands travel up the expanse of my back and she grips onto the back of my shoulders. I pull away after a bit and she lets out a small satisfied sigh before opening her eyes and looking up at me. 

“We should probably head back out now.” I say and she nods but neither of us let go of the other. I lean over and place a kiss on her forehead before reaching behind me and taking her hands and unwrapping them from around me. I let one hand go and take the other, leading her out of her room. As we come out, I make eye contact with Jackson and he smirks knowingly at me. I just nod my head up a little and we both start to chuckle. 

The day goes on with a number of children being dropped off by their parents and then finally the girl of the hour arrives. When Hye Jin announces her arrival Tae Jin runs over to me and hides behind my legs. 

“Oh? Yoo Mi-yah!” Three head turn in the direction of the voice, eyes wide - Hye Jins’, mine and Tae Jins’. 

“Uncle?” UNCLE?! I turn to look at Hye Jin and our expressions of shock mirror each other. We watch as the uncle runs over to his niece, picking her up and spinning her around, laughing. 

“Wow. It’s been ages since I’ve seen you. How are you?” I feel a tugging on my shirt and I look down to see Tae Jin holding his arms up to me. I pick him up and he leans over to whisper in my ear. 

“How does Jin Young hyung know Yoo Mi?” I shrug and walk over to the two. 

“Hyung,” I say quietly, interrupting their conversation, “Sorry to interrupt. We should get the party started, huh?” 

We both put the children down and make our way over to the group of children. I send a look to Hye Jin and she starts one of the games we had planned for the kids. In the meantime I pull Jin Young aside. 

“Hyung, how do you know Yoo Mi?” 

“She’s my niece.” I roll my eyes.

“Really? I was wondering why she called you ‘uncle’.” Jin young hits me playfully on the arm. 

“She’s my cousins daughter. I didn’t know she was friends with Tae Jinnie.” 

“They go to the same school, hyung. Also, Tae kind of likes her.” I say the last bit quieter. I see Jin Youngs’ eyes widen and he glances over to the group of kids currently playing pass-the-parcel. 

“He what?” he narrows his eyes at the little boy before crossing his arms. “Not if I have anything to do with it.” 

He goes to walk away but I grab him by the arm and pull him back.

“What are you talking about, hyung? Their 7 years old, do you really think they’re going to do anything inappropriate. Plus, Tae’s a great kid! I don’t see why you don’t approve.” I say. The edge of Jin Youngs’ lips curl up and he smirks at me. 

“Look at you. Defending Tae Jinnie like he’s your own son.” he says, before bursting into a fit of giggles. He drops a hand onto my shoulder and gives me a comforting squeeze. “Don’t worry. I was only kidding earlier. They can enjoy their little puppy love now while their young. But. If this progresses until they’re 14 I will not be so lenient. Got it?” 

I laugh at the older boy before putting my arm over his shoulder and leading him back to the party. 

I make my way over to Hyung Jin as Hye Jin is busy supervising the children. 

“What was that earlier?” Hyung Jin asks as I lean on the counter beside him. 

“Oh, Yoo Mi is the girl that Tae likes.”

“The girl that called Jin Young-ie ‘uncle’?” I nod. “No way.” 

“Small world, huh?” I say, shrugging. 

“Tiny.” 

We stand and watch as the parcel makes it’s final round and lo and behold it ends on Yoo Mi. She opens the remaining wrapping on the parcel and finds a cute notebook set with pens and stickers. Her friends all crowd around to have a look and they all marvel over the small present. Hye Jin claps her hands and tells the kids to get ready for the next game and I watch as Yoo Mi runs over to Jin Young, handing him the prize to hang on to while she plays the next game. 

“She’s good with kids isn’t she?” I hear Hyun Jin ask me. I turn to look at him and he is just watching his sister. I turn to watch her as well. I always knew she was good with kids just by the way she treated Tae Jin. 

“Yeah, she is.” I finally reply. I feel Hyung Jin turn to look at me and then look back, releasing a breath. 

“Good thing you’re good with them too. I know Hey Jin wants lots of kids.” He says, smirking as he walks over to the kitchen and starts taking out snacks. I stay where I am, still processing what Hyung Jin just said to me. I’ve never thought about kids. Why should I? I’m still in high school. I stand and stare at Hye Jin, imagining that this is our son’s birthday and not Tae Jin’s. I imagine Hye Jin a little older, with a ring on her finger. I have to admit, I like the idea of it. But it’s too soon to be thinking about that yet. We haven’t even dealt with Prom yet. Or Hyun Woo and Na Ri. 

I know I want to be financially stable before proposing or starting a family. I feel a pair of eyes on me and realise Hyung Jin is watching me. As we make eye contact I see him wink at me and then laugh loudly.  

Damn it Hyung Jin! I shake my head and join him in the kitchen and help him to sort out the snacks.

 

A/N

Oh my God.. finally an actual update! 

I don't know if any of the original subscribers are even still following this but I've got some ideas and I should have a few more chapters left in me before ending it all... 

I'm sorry about the ridiculous wait time but I am trying!

Love you all!

xox