Chapter 13

Running...

Hye Jin’s POV

 

I’m so excited to have Hyung Jin home for the week. It seems he approves of Young Jae and we’ve all planned to go on a picnic with Tae Jin and the others tomorrow. Mum is a little annoyed at the short notice but I spend the night helping her prepare sandwiches and other finger food for it. Tae Jin is excited to go out after having spent an entire day without Young Jae and I. Apparently he sulked the whole night and almost followed Hyung Jin to the game. 

I go for a walk early the next morning to get some last minute things we will need for the picnic. On the way home a figure blocks my path and I automatically tense. Hyun Woo stands before me still slightly bruised from his fight with Young Jae. His eyes are red and puffy as if he’s been crying for hours. He steps towards me and I step back. 

“Please. I really don’t have anyone else to turn to right now.” he says, tears starting to fall down his face. I don’t know if he’s just acting or not but I can’t take any chances. 

“You have 10 seconds to tell me what you want and then I’m leaving.” I say, holding my phone in one hand ready to dial Hyung Jin’s number if I need to. 

“I-It’s my mum.” he sobs. “Sh-She’s gone. She died, Jin Jin.” 

I stay frozen to the spot as Hyun Woo drops to his knees and bawls his eyes out. As much as I hate hearing that nickname it doesn’t even process to me and all I can think of is the fact that Hyun Woo’s mum is dead. Despite my hatred for her son, Mrs Jung was one of the kindest people I know. I liked her. Hyun Woo wouldn’t be joking about this would he? No. He wouldn’t joke about something so serious. 

I slowly make my way over to him and crouch down beside him. My hand slowly makes its way to his back and I pat it comfortingly. He leans towards me and rests his head in my chest. I let him cry for as long as he needs to and after a while he pulls away from me. 

“Can you stay with me today?” he asks, sniffling. “Just today. It’s so lonely at home now and I can’t handle it.” 

“I have plans today.” I say, standing up. He wraps his arms around my legs, not letting me move. 

“Please, Hye Jin-ah. Just today. I won’t bother you ever again. I promise. Please.” I crouch back down, making him let go of my legs. He looks at me teary-eyed. 

“Go home first. Let me re-arrange my plans for the day and I’ll meet you there. Okay?” he smiles through his tears and nods. He stands up and brushes the dirt off of his pants. He leans over and kisses my cheek before running past me, in the direction of his house. 

I sigh as I make my way home. Young Jae wouldn’t like what I’m doing, but I know that Mrs Jung was Hyun Woo’s only family so he really does have no one else. I’ll just postpone the picnic for later. Or let them know that I have to do something else first. I need an excuse. A good one. 

I arrive home and Tae Jin is already awake and getting ready. I smile at him and he runs over to hug me. 

“I’m so excited, Noona! Hyung said he will push me on the swings and then help me with the monkey bars.” I smile and ruffle his hair when Hyung Jin comes out of his room, already ready. 

“You’re up early.” he says. I hold up the bag of goodies I bought and he reaches out, taking them from me. “Go get ready. We’ll leave in half an hour.”

I shuffle towards my older brother twiddling my fingers as I do. “Oppa?” he hums, indicating that he’s listening even if he doesn’t look at me. Good. It’s probably better if he didn’t look at me. “Umm… Something came up with one of my friends at school and she kind of needs me. Is it okay if I go to see them for a bit and meet you and the guys later?” 

Hyung Jin stops what he’s doing and looks at me. Crap. 

“Which friend?” he asks. 

“You don’t know her.” I say quickly. He squints his eyes at me and then shrugs. 

“I guess. How long are you gonna be?” 

“I’m not sure. 2 hours maybe? I’ll call you when I’m leaving there.” I say. He nods. I give him a hug and am about to go to my room to get changed when I stop myself and turn back to my brother. “Could you let Young Jae and the others know?” 

“Of course. Now go. The quicker you get there, the quicker you get back to us.” he says. 

I leave the house before Hyung Jin and Tae Jin do and race over to Hyun Woo’s house. I press the doorbell and wait for him to open it. When he does his eyes are still puffy and he quickly pulls me into the house. He pulls me into a hug and I leave my arms limp by my sides as he squeezes the air out of me. 

“I didn’t think you were actually going to come. I was about to come and find you.” he says, breathing into my neck. I try not to squirm at the familiar yet uncomfortable feeling. 

“I promised you, didn’t I?” I say, pulling away from him. “I can’t stay long though. My brother is in town and I promised I would spend time with him today.” 

I make my way into the familiar apartment and Hyun Woo follows, plopping himself down onto the couch and patting the space beside him. I sit down keeping an appropriate distance between us. An uncomfortable silence takes over the room and I clear my throat to end it. 

“Do you want to talk about it?” I ask him. He looks at me, tears filling his eyes again. 

“It was so sudden. One moment she was here and then she was gone.” his voice cracks and I move closer to put an arm around him. He leans his head on my shoulder and starts to sob again. I let him cry and after what feels like forever his head starts to feel heavy and I hear soft snores coming from him. I continue to tap a steady rhythm into his arm and eventually I fall asleep too. 

 

I wake up to the sound of vibrations near my head. I slowly open my eyes and see my phone in front of me and the screen is lit up showing Young Jae’s name on the screen. I pick it up and answer, voice groggy from sleep. 

“H-Hello?”

“Yah Kim Hye Jin! Where are you?! Do you have any idea how worried I’ve been?” 

“Sorry, Jae. I just fell asleep. What’s the time?” 

“It’s 4 o’clock.” I sit up, only just now realising I’m in a bed. A bed that is way too familiar for my liking. 

“. I’m late!” 

“Nice of you to notice. Where are you? I’ll come and get you now.” 

“No! No. It’s fine. I’ll leave right now. I’ll be there in 15 minutes.” 

“Okay. I’ll be wa-“ I feel bad for not letting him finish but if I want to get out of here on time I need to leave. Now. 

I climb out of the bed and walk out to the living room of Hyun Woo’s apartment. I find him sitting on the couch, flicking through channels on the TV. 

“Hyun Woo, I have to go. Sorry you had to carry me to the bed. I hope you’re feeling better now.” 

I go to the door and put on my shoes when Hyun Woo grabs my wrist and pushes me against the door. He leans down to kiss me and my eyes widen. I quickly turn my head and he moves to try find my lips. I continue to thrash against him until he gets fed up and punches the door beside my head. 

“Damn it Hye Jin! Why do you have to avoid me like that?” he says, gritting his teeth. 

“In case you’re forgetting. I have a boyfriend who is currently waiting for me. So let me go Hyun Woo. You said if I spent the day with you you would leave me alone.” his grip on my wrists loosen and I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. 

“Fine. Thank you for coming. But before you go can I have one kiss. Please? Just one.” I sigh. I know I shouldn’t but just as I’m about to reject him his lips are on mine. I push at his chest and shoulders to try and get him away but he just pulls me closer. I feel his tongue across my bottom lip and I tighten them together, not letting him in. He pushes me into the wall and I gasp, which gives his tongue access to mine. I keep trying to push him away and eventually he stops, pulling away and smirking at how breathless the both of us are. I raise my hand and slap him hard across the face before storming out of the apartment. 

Tears fall down my eyes as I get on the bus that will take me to where Young Jae and the others are. I wipe away at the tears on my face as other passengers stare at me strangely. The bus finally arrives at the stop I need and I quickly make my way off. 

“Jinnie-yah!” I look up at the voice and almost lose the strength in my knees. Young Jae makes his way over to me and pulls me into a hug. “What’s wrong baby? Why are you crying?” 

I shake my head and grip onto his shirt a little tighter. He brings his hands up to my face and pulls my head to face him. 

“Talk to me. What’s wrong? Did someone bother you?” he asks. I shake my head. He leans down to kiss me but my conscience won’t let me accept it and I turn my head. “Hye Jin-ah.” 

“I-I’m sorry, Jae. I’m so sorry.” 

“Hye Jin-ah?” We both look up to the new voice and my eyes go wide at the site of Hyung Jin. He looks between the two of us before stomping forward. He pulls me away from Young Jae and puts a defensive arm around me. 

“What the hell did you do?!” he yells. 

“Hyung, I -“

“Don’t ‘hyung’ me you little ! Why is my sister crying?! It’s been one day, Young Jae. You said you would protect her!” I tug on my brother’s shirt and he turns to look at me. 

“Young Jae didn’t do anything, Oppa.” I tell him, still sniffling. 

“Don’t stand up for him Hye Jin.” he says before taking me by the arm and leading me away from Young Jae. “We’re going home. We’ll just get Tae Jin and go.” 

“Oppa, wait!” I yell, pulling my arm out of his grasp. He turns to look at me wide-eyed. “Young Jae didn’t do anything! It’s me! I’m the idiot here! If you’re going to yell at anyone, yell at me!” 

“Hye Jin-ah…” Hyung Jin says. “What happened? Tell me. What happened at your friends place?” 

“H-Hyun Woo.” I say. Young Jae comes up beside me and takes me by the shoulders, making me face him. 

“Did he follow you there? What did he do?” I shake my head. 

“I-It was his house that I went to.” I say, staring at the floor. Young Jae’s hands drop to his sides. 

“Why did you go there?” Hyung Jin asks. “Why the hell did you go there?!” 

I flinch when he yells and the tears start to fall again. 

“I’m sorry.” I look up at my brother then at Young Jae. “I’m sorry.” 

Young Jae turns to look at Hyung Jin. “Can you tell the others that I’m going home first?” 

Hyung Jin nods and I grab onto his arm. He pulls it out of my hands and turns to walk away. 

“Hey, Young Jae.” I turn to Hyung Jin, glad that he’s going to stop him from leaving. “I’m sorry I doubted you.” My face falls as both boys turn away from me and walk in opposite directions. 

 

A/N: I busted this chapter out last night and Young Jae's POV that follows it but I wanted to end this chpater with the cliffhanger so.. hehe. I'm sorry! But Hye Jin is silly. I also had to stop the fluff a little bit so that when they make up they can be so fluffy they would fill a giant teddy bear. What does that even mean?

I'm trying to manage my time better now so hopefully I can update faster and faster. Hopefully.

Thank you all fo reading. 

Comments are very much appreciated. But only if you want to. No pressure. 

Much love my dear readers!

xoxo