Chapter 4

Running...

Hye Jin’s POV

 

 After my encounter with Na Ri, Young Jae has been a little on edge. Although I’m not scared of her threats, it seems that Young Jae has taken it fairly seriously. He hardly lets me out of his sight and I swear he’s shooting lasers into the back of Na Ri’s head. 

“Hey.” I nudge him and he turns, glaring at me. It takes a second before he realises who he’s actually looking at and he eases up, smiling. 

“Sorry.” he says, chuckling. 

“You don’t need to worry about her. I doubt she’s actually going to do anything. So before you get a headache from staring so hard, focus on the lesson.” I say, keeping the volume low so the teacher won’t catch us. He nods, and faces the front. 

“You don’t know Na Ri like I do. She’s capable of hurting you.” he whispers to me. 

“I’m not as fragile as you might think. I’ve gone through worse things than bullying.” I freeze. Damn. I’ve said too much. I see Young Jae turn around to me but he quickly turns back as the teacher calls for attention. The bell rings, signalling lunch time and Young Jae shifts in his seat to face me. I close my eyes and wait for his question. 

“What could be worse than bullying?” he asks me. I sigh. 

“Nothing. Forget I said anything.” I say, taking out my lunch. “Where are the minions?” 

“Not coming. Nice try though.” I flinch at my failed attempt to change the subject. 

“Sorry Young Jae-ah. I don’t think I’m quite ready to tell you yet.” I say. He looks at me for a while before turning to get his lunch. 

“Okay. No worries. But remember that I’m here for you if you need anything. Anything at all.” he says. 

“I know, Jae. Thanks.” 

“What?” he asks. 

“What?” 

“You just called me Jae.” I did?

“Did I? I’m sure I said Young Jae.” I say, honestly. I must look funny because he starts laughing. 

“It’s fine. I’m not mad. I actually kind of like it.” he says, turning a light shade of pink. 

“It was honestly and accident. But I think I’ll start to use it from now on.” I say smiling. 

“You have a habit of shortening peoples names don’t you? You call Tae Jin-nie, Tae.” he says. I nod.

“That’s because it’s easier. He knows if I call him Tae Jin that I’m being serious.” I laugh. 

“He’s a smart kid. Let’s get him some ice cream before heading home.” he says. 

“Hmm… I don’t know if we should spoil him like that.”

“Spoil him? He’s six. I think he deserves some ice cream.” he says, crossing his arms. I can’t help but laugh at the seriousness in his face. 

“Are you sure it’s not you that wants ice cream and you’re just using Tae as an excuse?” I ask, making him flustered. 

“N-No. I just wanna spend more time with Tae Jin. That’s all.” I nod slowly. 

“Right. You can call him Tae if you want. I’m sure he’ll love it.” I tell him. 

“Really?” His eyes practically light up. I nod. “Awesome.” 

 

After school we go to pick up Tae Jin, who comes running out and straight into Young Jae’s arms. I glare at the boys and their display of affection. Tae Jin starts telling Young Jae the story of his day as I lean in towards him. 

“Tae, what about Noona?” I say, pouting. He leans over and kisses my cheek before continuing his conversation with Young Jae. 

Young Jae turns and we head away from home, towards an ice cream shop Young Jae said he frequents. 

“Where are we going?” Tae Jin asks, still being carried by Young Jae. 

“Why don’t you ask your hyung?” I say, sulkily. Young Jae laughs at my response. 

“This hyung wants to take his buddy Tae to get ice cream. Is that okay?” Tae Jin squeals and Young Jae has to lean away before his ears pop. 

“Hyung, you’re the best!” He yells before wrapping his hands tighter around Young Jae’s neck and hugging him. 

“Tae, why don’t you hop down. Young Jae will be tired from carrying you all the time.” Tae Jin turns to glare at me. 

“Okay.” he says, pouting. He goes to get down but Young Jae doesn’t let him. 

“It’s fine, Tae. I like carrying you and we’re almost there anyways.” he says, and I glare at him. He's spoiling Tae Jin too much. I don’t even carry him for that long. Mind you, my arm would probably fall off if I tried. 

We arrive at the ice cream store and I hold the door open for Young Jae, feeling bad that he had to carry my little brother the whole way here.

“Hey, hyung!” I hear as I walk in. I turn to see Young Jae high five-ing the guy at the counter. The guy also says hi to Tae Jin, who glances to Young Jae first before slightly touching the other guys hand. I reach them and smile at the other guy. 

“Hyung, this is Hye Jin and her little brother Tae Jin.” he says, indicating to us as he goes. He reaches his hand out and I shake it. “This is my friend, Jin Young hyung.” 

“Please, call me Jr.” he says. “What can I do for you guys today?”

“I wanted to get Tae Jin some ice cream hyung.” 

“Really? I thought you were here to buy pizza.” he says, sarcastically and I giggle. He reaches his hand over the counter and I have to high-five him, earning a glare from Young Jae. 

“Not cool, hyung.” 

“Tae baby, hop down and pick what you want.” I say, practically pulling him out of Young Jae’s arms. 

“Where’s JB hyung?” I hear Young Jae say and as if on cue another guy bursts through the back door, ruffling his hair as he does. 

“Oh? Young Jae-ah!” the guy practically jumps over the counter and pulls Young Jae into a hug. I watch as the guy is pushed away, legs first. I look down and see Tae Jin pushing the new guy away from Young Jae. 

“Tae!” I call, but he doesn’t look at me. 

“Young Jae hyung is mine!” he whines, turning to wrap his arms around Young Jae’s leg and glaring up at the older boy, who I assume is JB. I laugh at the look on the two older boys faces. 

“Someone’s got himself a fan.” Jr says from behind the counter, before moving off to serve some other customers that had just walked in. 

“Excuse me little guy, I don’t know who you are but Young Jae was mine first.” JB says, looking down at Tae. 

“Hyung.” Young Jae says, sending him a look. 

“What? Where did you get a kid from anyways?” he huffs, crossing his arms. Young Jae picks Tae up, who is still glaring at JB but now JB is glaring right back. 

“This is Tae Jin, and his sister Hye Jin.” he nods his head in my direction and shyly smile to JB. His face breaks out into a smile. 

“Oh, so this is Hye Jin?” he says, stepping towards me. How does he know me? 

“Hi. Sorry, do we know each other?” I ask, shaking his hand. 

“You don’t know me, but I know about you.” he says. He looks over to Young Jae and winks. “I have to get back to work. What do you guys want? I’ll serve you.” 

He jumps back over the counter and turns back to us. 

“Young Jae, the usual?” he asks and Young Jae nods. “What about for the little brat?”

“Hey!” Tae Jin and Young Jae say at the same time. I just stand back and laugh at them. 

“Noona, what am I allowed to get?” Tae Jin asks me. I’m about to answer when Young Jae blocks me off by turning his body. 

“Get whatever you want, Tae. Hyung is buying.” he says, much to the delight of Tae Jin. 

“Really hyung?” Young Jae nods and Tae Jin reels out his order. 

“What about you Hye Jin-ssi?” JB asks. 

“I’m okay, thanks.” I say. 

“What? No, order something.” Young Jae says. 

“Tae Jin won’t finish his. I’ll just have what he doesn’t finish.” I explain.

“Hyung, just give her the same as me.” he says. I’m about to protest but he turns around and finds a table near to the counter. 

“You’ll need to get used to that.” JB says to me, smirking. 

 


 

Young Jae’s POV

 

I carry Tae Jin over to a table and Hye Jin slowly comes to join us. We all have a seat and Tae Jin is swinging his legs excitedly beside me. 

“So, how often do you come here if you know the workers?” she asks me. 

“I come here because I know them. They’re my school seniors. We hang out fairly often with Bam Bam and Yu Gyeom and a couple of other guys too.” I explain. 

“Ah, so you have your own little boy band going on?” she asks, joking. I blush slightly. 

“I guess you could call it that.” I say, rubbing my hand on the back of my neck.

“Seriously?” she asks. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I just didn’t pin you for the boy band type.”

Before she can say anything else JB hyung comes over and serves us our ice cream. 

“Strawberry sundaes for the lovebirds, and the sugar-high for the brat.” he says, placing the 4 scoops of ice cream, all different flavours, in front of Tae Jin. 

“Hyung, that Ahjussi is being mean to me.” Tae Jin whines, pointing at JB hyung. I laugh at hyungs face. 

“Stop messing with him hyung.” I say. JB hung looks even more surprised as he turns to look at me. 

“You’re taking his side? Over mine? I see how it is.” he turns on his heel and stomps off back behind the counter. I look over at Jr hyung who just shrugs. 

“Is strawberry okay?” I ask Hye Jin and she nods. I feel a tug on my shirt and look down at Tae Jin. He motions for me to lean closer and I do. 

“Strawberry is her favourite.” he whispers in my ear. We smile at each other as I sit back up. 

“What did he tell you?” Hye Jin asks. I shake my head.

“It’s nothing. Eat.” We both pick up our spoon and start eating. I turn to Tae Jin and he’s eaten half of each scoop already. His face is a sticky mess and I consider cleaning him up but I figure I should wait till he’s finished.

“Tae, slow down. You don’t want to get a tummy ache later.” says Hye Jin. He nods, not even glancing at her. 

We finish up our ice cream and I run over to the counter to get some wipes and come back to clean up the sticky mess that is Tae Jin’s face. He laughs as I squeeze his cheeks together making him pout and then pulling his cheeks down so that his face was stretched out. I continue making faces with his face as he and Hye Jin laugh. 

“Well isn’t this just precious?” 

We all turn to the familiar voice and find Na Ri standing there with her sidekicks. Hye Jin automatically stands up and covers Tae Jin from Na Ri’s view. 

“Is this how you did it? Did you use that little runt to seduce Oppa? I have to admit I never thought of that before. I commend your creativity.” 

“If you want to mess with me at school then by all means bring it on. But you dare to mess with me around my little brother, and it won’t be pretty.” Hye Jin says, through gritted teeth. 

Tae Jin climbs from his seat into my lap, wrapping his arms around my neck. 

“Hyung, what’s happening? Who is that?” he asks in my ear, chin resting on my shoulder. I stand up and pat his back gently. 

“It’s alright, Tae. She’s nobody. Do you want to sit with Jin Young-ie hyung and JB hyung for a little bit? We’ll go home soon.” I say to him and he nods. I walk over to the counter and I know that Na Ri’s eyes are on me. I sit Tae Jin on the counter and turn him around so that Jr hyung can take him. He quietly goes into hyungs arms.

“Everything okay?” Jr hyung asks. I nod.

“Yeah. Just watch him for a bit, yeah?” Jr hyung nods and I make my way back to the girls. 

“…I don’t get your problem Na Ri. Just accept the fact that Young Jae doesn’t like you.” I hear Hye Jin say as I go to stand beside her. 

“Oh? And does Oppa know about your previous relationship?” I feel Hye Jin tense beside me. I look down at her hands and they’re balled up into fists. “I’ll take that as a no. Don’t you think you should tell him? Or at least tell him the reason you had to transfer in the first place. Should I help you?” 

“Na Ri, that’s enough.” I say. I couldn’t take it anymore. She was making Hye Jin uncomfortable and I wouldn’t stand for it. I take her hand in mine and intertwine our fingers. “I’ve told you before to leave her alone and I won’t tell you again. I thought you were better than this.”

I pulled Hye Jin towards the counter and I could feel her shaking. I dropped some cash onto the counter for JB hyung as Tae Jin climbed his way back into my arms. 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, hyungs.” I say to them before taking the siblings out of there. 

“I’m sorry about that Jin-nie.” I say. I’ve always wanted to call her that, but I didn’t know a way to start. I figure it may distract her from what happened so I used it. 

“It’s fine Jae.” I smile at the fact we both have nicknames for each other. 

“If I knew she was gonna be there, I wouldn’t have-“

“It’s fine. You couldn’t have known.” she cuts me off. She hesitates for a second before looking up at me. “Jae, about what she said…”

“You don’t have to tell me.” I say to her. 

“I want to. I really do. But it’s kind of a difficult topic. Give me some time?” she asks. I nod. 

“Sure. No need to rush. I’m not that curious.” I lied. She smiles at me and we continue to walk hand in hand and Tae Jin in my arms until we reach their building. 

“Tae, it’s time to go inside.” Hye Jin says but there’s no response from the child. She lets go of my hand and goes to my other side and starts to laugh. “He’s asleep.”

“Oh, no wonder. I thought he got heavier because of all the ice cream he ate.” I say, lightening the atmosphere a bit more. We manoeuvre around each other so that Hye Jin is now carrying her sleeping brother. 

“Thanks for today, Jae.” she says, smiling at me. 

“No worries. I’ll see you tomorrow?” I ask and she nods. I lean over to Tae Jin and place a kiss on his forehead before patting his head. I swear if anyone saw us they’d think we were a family, but honestly, I don’t have a problem with that. 

I watch as Hye Jin goes into the building, turning around a few times to wave at me before finally disappearing from view.

 

A/N: Man.. I always make an annoying character and then I get angry at them and it's like what the hell? You made them. -.- 

Anywhoo... I hope you're all enjoying this as much as I enjoy writing it. My bias list goes up in flames everytime I'm writing a fic. I mean I still love Mark but Young Jae when he performs A is just too cute. Which is half the reason I'm writing this in the first place. Haha

Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it. :)

Much love to you all

xoxo