Chapter 12

Running...

Hye Jin’s POV

 

Our first date was a disaster. At first I was really excited but half the time whenever I tried talking to Young Jae he would give half-hearted responses if he even responded at all. It hasn’t even been a week since we started going out and he’s already tired of me. To top it off we have to go to Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam’s basketball game tonight and I’ll need to pretend that everything is okay. Not to mention the fact that Young Jae rocked up this morning with a busted face. How could he have had time for a fight in the time it took for him to go home last night?

When the siren rings for the end of the day every one quickly leaves the room. I take my time gathering my things and Young Jae waits patiently for me. 

“Since we don’t have to pick up Tae today let’s go somewhere quiet and talk.” he says as I swing my bag onto my shoulder. I nod. We make our way out to the front gate when we see a group of boys mucking around. 

“Oh! There he is!” I’d recognise that voice anywhere. Jackson. The four boys run over to us and Jackson quickly envelopes Young Jae in a hug. 

“What happened to you? Who did this to you? Who did this to my Young Jae?” Jackson practically yells. He turns to me. “Do you know who did this? Tell me!” I shrug. 

“I don’t know.” I say. 

“Jackson calm down.” Mark says, pulling Jackson away from Young Jae. 

“Talk Young Jae.” Jr says, arms crossed. JB is standing beside him with a look of anger in his face - more so than usual. 

“Hyung I will tell you, okay? But can I talk to Hye Jin first, please?” he says, taking my hand in his. 

“No you can tell us all together.” Jackson says, but Mark covers his mouth before he can say anything else.

“Go. We’ll be here. We’ve gotta find the maknaes anyway.” Mark says, holding a struggling Jackson under his arm. “Guys, let’s go.” he signals to the other two and they nod before following him. 

Young Jae tugs on my hand and we make our way over to a nearby park, sitting on a bench and not saying anything. Right when I’m about to run away from the suffocating silence Young Jae turns around, placing one leg one the bench. 

“I’m sorry. I know what I did wrong this time so I know why I’m apologising. I had a lot on my mind last night. Something happened just before I got to your place and it bothered me all night.” 

“What happened?” I ask, turning to look at him now. 

“Nothing you need to worry about.” I guess he doesn’t trust me enough to let me know. 

“Does it have something to do with why you’re bruised up?” he rubs the back of his neck and looks down at the floor. “Who did it?” 

“No one you know. Don’t worry about it. Just trust me on this, okay?” 

“Is there a reason you’re keeping it from me?” I ask, looking him in the eyes. 

“I can handle it. I don’t want you stressing over it when it’s not a big deal.” I sigh. 

“Okay. I think I can put the pieces together though.” he looks at me with a confused look on his face. I’m not stupid. Young Jae isn’t one to fight and the only person I’ve seen him get violent with is someone I want nothing to do with. I look around the park and realise it’s cleared out already. I stand up and walk to the middle of the open space. 

“YAH JUNG HYUN WOO! I KNOW YOU’RE AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE, COME OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!” Young Jae stands up and runs over to me, taking my hands in his. 

“Hey, hey, hey. What are you doing?” he asks. I look away from him. 

“JUNG HYUN WOO!” I hear a rustling sound come from behind Young Jae and I step around him, coming face to face with my worst enemy. As I expected, his face is covered in bruises too. I go over to him in long strides and lift my hand, swinging down hard enough for the sound of my hand meeting his face to resonate in the open air around us. “How much longer do you have to bother me? How much longer do you have to keep butting into my life? Why can’t you just leave  me alone?!”

I feel hands pull me back and I struggle against them. 

“You’re not happy with him Jin Jin. I saw you last night. You weren’t happy. If you were I would have let you go.” I scoff. Yeah right. 

“I don’t believe that. You’ve done nothing but make my life a living hell since we broke up and I want you to stop it right now. I’ve had enough of your . Do I have to move away to another country to get rid of you?” I feel the hands on my arm tighten. Young Jae turns me around and makes me face him, cupping my face in his hands. 

“Don’t say things like that Jin-nie. Please.” he says, just loud enough for me to hear. I move his hands away and turn back around. 

“Are you forgetting our memories Jin Jin? We were happy. I can make you happy.” I lift my hands and cover my ears. 

“Stop calling me that. I wasn’t happy. That’s why I broke up with you. I don’t ever want to see you again. Do you understand me? I swear to God if I ever see you again I will shoot myself.” I threaten, knowing a threat against my own life will mean more to him than a threat against his. I turn around and take Young Jae’s hand and pull him out of the park, back towards the school. 

Before we arrive in front of the gates Young Jae brushes past me and changes the order so that he’s now pulling me. I let him drag me through the school and back into our class room. He shuts the door behind me and he pulls out his chair, sitting on the desk and pulling me to stand between his legs. He cups my face in his hands and makes me look at him. 

“Are you okay?” he asks. He lifts the hand I hit Hyun Woo with and rests it on his face, turning his face to place kisses on the still red palm. I pull my hand back and step forward wrapping my arms around Young Jae’s neck and shoulders. He pulls me in by my waist and I feel him turn his face into the crook of my neck. 

“You’ll let me know if anything like this happens again, won’t you?” I say and I feel him nod. I pull away and lightly touch his face, tracing his bruises as gently as I can. 

“I’m sorry, baby. I didn’t want to worry you.” he says. 

“And coming to school looking like this was meant to set my mind at ease?” I say, smirking. He chuckles and looks at me apologetically. 

“I clearly didn’t think that one through.” I laugh at him and lean over to place a kiss on his forehead. “Am I forgiven?” 

I nod and he puts his hand at the back of my neck, pulling me forward to place his lips on my mine. He drops his hands back to my hips and I keep my arms around his neck. We continue to kiss for a long time, hardly coming up for air when we hear the door open and a very unmanly yelp. 

We both pull away from each other and glance towards the door to see Jackson covering his eyes with gaps between his fingers and the other 3 older boys peeking in the doorway to see what Jackson yelled about. 

“Was that you that yelled Jackson?” Young Jae asked, neither of us moving from our current position. Jackson nods and I start to laugh. 

“I honestly thought it was a girl that walked in on us.” That causes everyone else to laugh as they make their way into the room. 

“I see you’ve made up.” Jr says as they take either a chair or a table. Young Jae shuffles back on his desk and turns me around so that he can pull me to lean on the desk, keeping his arms wrapped around me. 

“What happened to my baby Young Jae?” Jackson asks dramatically and Mark reaches over and pushes his head. 

“Seriously though, what’s up with your face?” JB asks, crossing his arms. 

“Hyun Woo.” Young Jae says, shrugging. The boys tense and I can feel the tension rise in the room. “But you probably don’t have to worry about that anymore. Hye Jin may have taken care of that for me.” 

All eyes turn to me and I shrug. “I just gave him a piece of my mind that’s all. Not like I haven’t been doing that since we broke up, but you know.” 

“You didn’t see his face when she slapped him though.” Young Jae says and I can hear the smugness in his voice. 

“You slapped him?!” Jackson yells. I cover my ears. 

“Geez, Oppa. No need to yell. But yes, I did.” Jackson nods in approval. 

“Feisty. I like her.” We all start to laugh until Jr. looks at his watch and tells us it’s time to head to the gym. 

We make our way over to the gym and spot Bam Bam and Yu Gyeom warming up. They spot us and wave at us excitedly. We all wave back sending signs of encouragement as well. We make our way to the bleachers and find space for all of us to fit together. Young Jae grabs my hand and pulls my arm to rest on his thigh so that we’re stuck together. 

“Seriously, you two?” Jackson says, rolling his eyes. 

“You’re just jealous, Oppa.” I say, sticking my tongue out at him. 

“Touche.” he says, turning back towards the court. 

The game starts and we cheer as Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam showcase their skills. At one point Bam Bam gets shoved so hard he slides half way across the court, making the gym erupt in anger. Yu Gyeom runs over and helps him up. Bam Bam brushes himself off and goes over to to take his free throws. 

The 6 of us on the bench lean forward on our seats, nervous. For me, everything goes in slow motion as he reaches up and shoots the first shot, having it fall in the basket easily. We jump up, cheering and quickly quietening down again as he prepares for the second shot. He reaches up and shoots. The ball hits the edge of the basket and is about to fall out when everyone on the court starts moving. Yu Gyeom runs and quickly jumps up, tapping the ball before it falls out of the basket and pushing it into the basket. The siren sounds for the end of the first half and the team high-five each other as they make their way to the bench as we all cheer and exclaim at the two maknae’s teamwork. 

While waiting for the second half to start I hear a voice from in front of us. 

“Hye Jin, Hye Jin, Kim Hye Jin” I look out towards the voice and see a friendly face. 

“Oppa?” I say, letting go of Young Jae’s hand to stand up. “Oppa!” 

I make my way down the stairs as he makes his way up. As I reach the same step as him I leap into his arms and he easily catches me. 

“It’s so good to see you.” he says into my hair. 

 


 

Young Jae’s POV

 

“Hye Jin, Hye Jin, Kim Hye Jin!” I look out towards the voice and see an undoubtedly handsome face. 

“Oppa?” Oppa? Hye Jin lets go of my hand and stands up. “Oppa!” 

She runs over to him and jumps into his arms. My eyes widen and I feel a hand on my knee. I look to my side and see Jackson, looking at me pitifully. 

“Don’t jump to conclusions you two.” Jr says from beside Jackson. I watch as they talk animatedly for a bit and then she takes his hand and leads him up the stairs to where we are. 

“Oppa, this is my boyfriend, Choi Young Jae and his friends, Jackson, Jin Young, Mark and Jae Bum.” she says, still holding onto his hand. The ‘Oppa’ hold outs his hand and I reluctantly take it, as do the hyungs. 

“Oppa’s, this is my brother, Hyung Jin Oppa.” My eyes widen again.

“Your brother?” I ask. I didn’t know there was another sibling. 

“Yeah. I came down to visit during my break but Hye Jin wasn’t home so I came to hunt her down.” he says shrugging. 

“Oppa, sit down.” she says, tugging on his arm and he takes a seat on the other side of her. I feel a slight tap to the back of my head and turn to see Jr with a smirk on his face. Yeah, yeah. I misunderstood and got a little jealous of her brother but it’s not my fault. I didn’t know there was another one of them. I lean over to Hye Jin. 

“I didn’t know you had an older brother.” I whisper in her ear. She leans back over. 

“That’s because I never told you and it never came up.” she whispers back, shrugging. 

“Young Jae, was it?” Hyung Jin asks and I lean forward to nod. “It’s nice to meet Hye Jin’s new boyfriend but I have to ask you. What happened to your face?” 

Before I can answer Hye Jin holds my hand, giving it a squeeze as her brother watches. 

“It was Hyun Woo.” she says, glaring at nobody. I feel her tense and I reach over to enclose her hands in mine. 

“That jerk. I came to see how Hye Jin was settling in to the new place, but I didn’t think that that jerk followed them here. I’m here for a week, so if you ever encounter him again, make sure you tell me. I’ve been wanting to get my hands on that scum for ages now.” Hyung Jin says through gritted teeth. “At least tell me he looks worse than you do.” 

“Of course he does.” I say, smiling at him. Hye Jin relaxes a little and turns to her brother. 

“He does.” The two laugh together as the siren sounds to start the second half. I hear Hyung Jin asks who we’re here for and watch as Hye Jin points out to the two maknaes on the court. I lose track of what they’re talking about as I get more immersed in the game. If only I was a little taller, I probably would have tried out for the team too. In all honesty though, those two just shot up one day and they went from being my little brothers to taller-than-their-hyungs brothers. 

The game ends and we’re all cheering because our team won. I pull Hye Jin in for a hug before I glance up and see Hyung Jin, quickly letting go of her as he chuckles. After everything has died down we head outside and wait around for the maknaes.

When they finally come out we ambush them, leaving Hye Jin and her brother behind. We jump on them and mess up their hair. When we finally settle down Hyung Jin speaks up. 

“Do you guys feel like celebrating? Let’s go to karaoke!” 

I feel a tug on my arm and lean over to Bam Bam. “Who is he?”

“Hye Jin’s older brother.” I say to him. He gasps. 

“Let’s do it.” JB says and Hyung Jin grins. 

Hye Jin skips over to me and links her arms with mine. We stroll behind the others as Hyung Jin and Jae Bum lead the way and get acquainted with each other.

“I’m glad Oppa is here.” Hye Jin says to me. I nod. 

“How come he doesn’t live with you?” I ask. 

“He’s goes to college in Busan, so he lives there. Whenever he gets a week off he comes to visit us.”

“So he knows about the whole Hyun Woo thing, right?” I ask, cautiously. Hye Jin nods. 

“Honestly, this is the first time I’ve seen him in like a year. So he wasn’t around for most of it. He’s only heard stories from our parents and me, of course. The night I begged our parents to move they didn’t want to, so I called Oppa up and was crying so hard. He waited for me to calm down before I explained to him what happened and after hanging up with him he called up my parents. It’s thanks to him that we actually did move. He begged them to take me away from there, even though where we were before was a lot closer to him than here. He doesn’t mind making the trip though, as long as I’m safe.” 

“I’m actually very jealous of you. I was already jealous that you have Tae, but Hyung Jin hyung too?” Hye Jin puts and arm around me and hugs me as best as he can while walking. 

“Don’t worry, Jae. They’re as much your brothers as they are mine.” I’m touched by her words but decide to play around with her a little. 

“Is this a proposal?” I ask, earning a playful hit to my arm. I rub the area that’s been hit as we both start to laugh. 

Shortly after we arrive at the karaoke place Hyung Jin wanted to go and we file in to the booth we’re given. 

“I think the two stars of the day should begin the festivities.” Hyung Jin says, picking up two microphones and handing them to the two maknaes. “What song?” 

Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam grin at each other before taking the controls and inserting the number of the song they want. Everyone sits down except for Jr and Jackson who pick up tambourines and get ready to dance alongside them. 

As soon as the beat kicks in everyone that is seated start to laugh and sway along to the beat as the ‘performers’ fall into sync with their performance. 

“Hana. Dul. One. Two. Three. Oh.” All four of them shout. “Bounce to me bounce to me. Bounce to me, bounce!” 

Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam struggle to keep the mics close enough to their face while trying to do the dance moves while Jr and Jackson execute them perfectly. The two move toward each other and dance together while Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam scream their way through the song. 

When they’re done we all applaud and then the microphones make their rounds. After Mark and Jackson perform together JB stands up and grabs the microphone and holds it out to me. 

“Time for your specialty.” he says as he winks. “Now is the perfect time to sing it don’t you think?” 

I take the mic from him as I glance at Hye Jin who smiles at me encouragingly. I look back at JB and he puts in the number of the song. Well, here goes nothing. Once again Jr and Jackson are standing and ready to perform beside me as the opening beats of JYP’s ‘Honey’ starts to play. 

While I’m singing Yu Gyeom, Mark and Bam Bam rush up to where we are, pushing along a reluctant Hye Jin with them. 

Hye Jin gets pushed into my arms and I barely catch her while still trying to sing. She stands straight and I take one of her hands in mine. She looks down shyly as I sing facing her and the others dance around us. Hyung Jin comes behind Hye Jin and puts his hands on her shoulders making her sway them along with the music. Hye Jin shrugs him off and buries her face in her hand as the song finishes and I pull her closer to me by her waist. 

“Hye Jin, Hye Jin, Kim Hye Jin! You must return the favour now.” Hyung Jin says as we all settle down after my performance. Hye Jin looks wide-eyed at her brother and shakes her head. “Come on. You’ll be fine.” 

“Oppa, I’m tone deaf. You know that.” Hye Jin pleads to her brother. But he just shakes his head. 

“That’s what you think.” he turns to me and raises his hand to cover the side of his mouth as if telling me a secret. “She’s actually pretty amazing.” 

Hye Jin huffs and I can’t help but think how adorable she is. I watch her expectantly and we all go quiet waiting for her to take the microphone from her brother. She looks around at all of us and then looks at me as if asking me to help her. I don’t respond to her pleading eyes and she groans, finally taking the microphone. 

“Fine. But don’t blame me if you all end up deaf.” she says. I let go of her and go to sit down with the others. “Hey! Why don’t I get any backup dancers?” 

“Hye Jin-ah just sing.” Hyung Jin says, picking up the control. “The usual?” 

Hye Jin sighs and then nods. I watch the screen as the music starts. Ailee’s U&I? This is a hard song to sing for someone who’s supposedly tone deaf. I look at Hye Jin who has turned her back to us. She takes a breath and sings the opening note. 

Well I’ll be damned… She. is. amazing. She sings the song, slowly gaining confidence as she gets further in and Hyung Jin jumps up to dance with her. She has the most beautiful smile on her face as she sings and dances with her brother and I am absolutely mesmerised. I feel a nudge to my side and turn to glare at whoever is interrupting my fun. Jackson is smirking at me and handing me a napkin. I take it with a confused look on my face. 

“Wipe your mouth. You’re drooling.” he says before laughing. I instinctively bring my hand up to my mouth and roll my eyes when I realise he was kidding. I throw the napkin at him and he ruffles my hair as he stands up to join the siblings. I turn back and just watch Hye Jin. She’s finally comfortable and she’s doing an amazing job. The song ends and I stand up and clap like a seal. She blushes as she makes her way over to me. 

“That was amazing Jinnie.” I say, putting and arm around her. We both sit down as Jackson chucks on an English rap song and puts on a show with Yu Gyeom and Bam Bam. Hye Jin covers her face and nuzzles my shoulder. 

“That was so embarrassing.” she says, voice muffled by her hands. I rub her arm comfortingly and place a kiss on her head. 

“You were great, Jinnie. We should go to karaoke more often.” I say and she shakes her head. 

“Sorry to break up the lovefest going on over here.” We both look up to see Hyung Jin standing in front of us. Hye Jin sits up and I remove my hand from her shoulder. “But can I speak to you for a minute?” 

Hye Jin goes to stand up but her brother stops her. “Not you, Hye Jin. Young Jae.” 

Uh-oh. Hye Jin looks from me to her brother and back again a few times. I pull her back to the seat and pat her knee lightly. I smile at her and then stand up. “Sure, hyung.” Hyung Jin smiles at me and then leads the way out. I turn back to Hye Jin when we’re at the door and wink. Once the door is closed I take a deep breath and continue to follow Hyung Jin outside. 

We stand around outside the karaoke place for a minute or two. Hyung Jin has his hands in his pockets and he kicks at the ground a few times. I keep my hands folded in front of me as if I’m getting scolded for something and wait for him to speak. 

“How long have you been dating my sister?” he asks. I look up to see he’s still looking at the floor. 

“Uh, not long. Officially, we started dating on her brithday. But I’ve had feelings for her for a long time now.” I say. 

“Yeah? How did you ask her?” 

“Well, I gave her a codeword. She was having some problems with Hyun Woo and I have this girl at school who is kind of obsessed with me and we kind of mutually agreed to help each other. I figured why fake our relationship when we can be in a real one. But I knew she wouldn’t want to date me with all the problems she was having with Hyun Woo so I gave her a codeword to use when she was ready and all she had to do was tell me the codeword and I would know that she has accepted me.”

“You have a girl that’s obsessed with you? She hasn’t done anything to Hye Jin, has she?” he asks, finally looking at me. I glance at the floor and rub the back of my neck. “Choi Young Jae, answer me.” 

“She has. But Hye Jin always stands up for herself and I’ve told that girl a number of times to leave her alone an-“ Before I can finish I find my back pushed against a wall and Hyung Jin’s forearm pushing against my neck. I grip onto his arm to try and relieve my neck of some of the pressure as he glares at me and grits his teeth. 

“Listen here, Young Jae. My sister has been through too much to have to deal with yours too. As much as I like you, buddy I can’t let you have my sister if you can’t look after her. I know the scars on your face right now are from Hyun Woo and that’s cool, you’re protecting her. But if she has to protect herself from the girl that’s on your case that is too much for my sister to handle.” He lets me go and I cough and splutter, getting my breath and heart rate back on track before answering him. 

“I’m doing what I can, hyung. I will talk to Na Ri and Hyun Woo. I’ll make it so that neither of them will give us problems ever again. Give me a chance, hyung. Hye Jin is the best thing that’s happened to me, ever and I don’t want to lose her.” Hyung Jin crosses his arms and turns away from me. “Actually, you know what? I refuse to let her go. It took ages for her to accept me and I told her I wouldn’t leave her. I’m going to keep that promise whether you like it or not. I’m sorry hyung, but as much as I want your blessing I will not let Hye Jin down. I will make her happy. You can count on it.” 

I straighten out my clothes and go to walk past Hyung Jin when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I expect to be turned around and punched in the face but instead I feel a body approach my side as Hyung Jin slings his arm over my shoulder. 

“Just what I wanted to hear.” he says, smiling at down at me. I look at him surprised and he flexes his arm to pull me into a headlock, ruffling my hair. “You have my blessing, Young Jae. Make sure you look after her and call me if you ever need to talk. Oh and sorry if I hurt you earlier.” 

He lets me go and I straighten up, still a little shocked. He places his arm around me again and we make out way back inside. We continue singing and dancing for another hour before we all head home. 

 

A/N: Firstly... I AM SO SO SO SO SORRY! I knew I said I would update once a week but things got hectic and fast. I had one of my cousins sleeping over at my house for a week so that I could help her with her homework plus I had to do my homework and ergh. 

Secondly.. I am trying to manage my time better so that I get time to write and update my fics so  please bear with me. I am doing my best. I have relief work over the next two weeks so that takes some of my time away and makes me require more sleep haha 

Thirdly.. If any of you have any ideas for this story please let me know because honestly, I'm a little lost as to how to continue. I have a few ideas which I will put in but I already have an idea for my next fic which will probably be Jr. and I don't want to use those ideas here. So let me know what you guys wanna see happen in this fic and I'll be sure to try and add it, with credits of course :D 

Lastly.. comments please :) haha I know this is the slowest I've ever updated but because I'm in my last semester I want to do well and I'm working hard for once. You guys understand right? :( 

Love you all muchly and I'm sorry again for the wait. I'll try to update again as soon as I can. 

Thanks for reading!

xox