Chapter 1

Running...

Hye Jin’s POV

 

It’s D-Day. I transfer to my new school today. It took a whole lot of convincing to get my parents to allow the transfer but I was going insane at my old school. My resolution for this new school: to stay away from boys. They won’t do anything but mess with my head and I don’t need that. Not right now anyways. I have more important things to worry about. Like where I’m going to study after I graduate. It’s weird for me to be transferring in my final year of high school but hey, I had to. 

I make my way to the school office and get introduced to Mr Park, my homeroom teacher. I introduce myself and he does the same before heading off to class, leaving me to finalise my timetable. Once that’s done I’m escorted to the classroom where Mr Park is already waiting to introduce me to the rest of the class. As I walk in I notice there’s only one empty seat, right at the back in the corner by the back door. Beside a boy. A cute boy. Just my luck. 

“Class, this is a new transfer student. Introduce yourself please.” says Mr Park. 

“Hello,” I say, bowing. “My name is Kim Hye Jin. I hope we can all get along.” 

“As you can see, the only spare seat is beside Young Jae. Go ahead and sit down.” Mr Park says, pointing me in the direction of the empty seat. 

I make my way over there and I swear some of the girls are glaring at me. I take my seat and pay attention to what Mr Park is saying. He leaves the room so we can prepare for the first class and the kids start to talk amongst themselves. 

“Hi.” I say, to the guy next to me. If I’m sitting beside him the least I can do is speak to the guy right? It’s not like I’m going to fall in love with him or anything. 

“Hey. Hye Jin, right?” he says, turning to look at me. I nod. “I’m Young Jae. Choi Young Jae.” 

“Oppa!” We both turn to look for the voice and it’s a girl from the other side of the room, making her way over to us. I glance at Young Jae and he rolls his eyes. The girl glares at me before turning to Young Jae. “I need help with my Math homework, would you be able to take a look for me?” 

“You’re the top of our class Na Ri, you don’t need my help.” he says. She huffs and crosses her arms before stomping back to her seat. He turns back to me. “Sorry about that. She’s -“

“A handful?” I offer. He chuckles and nods. 

“Exactly.” 

“So, were you held back or something?” I ask. He raises an eyebrow at me. Did I say something wrong?

“What makes you say that?” 

“That girl - Na Ri was it? - she called you Oppa.” I say. He bursts out in laughter. 

“Just because of that you think I’ve been held back? She calls me Oppa because she likes me. She’s actually older than me by a few months.” He says, smiling. 

“Right.” Weird girl. 

Before he can explain further the teacher for the first class walks in. We don’t talk to each other much during classes and soon enough it’s lunch time. 

Young Jae reaches into his bag to take out his lunch and I do the same. 

“Hyuuung!” I hear, from the door behind us. “Whoa!” 

I turn around in time to see two younger guys running into the room and skidding to a halt behind me. Instinctively Young Jae puts an arm out behind me to stop them before they run into me. 

“Who is this?” The smaller of the two asks. 

“I’m Hye Jin. I transferred today.” I answer. He smiles and holds out his hand. 

“I’m Bam Bam.” I take it and the other, larger guy follows. 

“And I’m Yu Gyeom.” I shake his hand as well and then turn back to my desk as they make their way around to the chairs in front of us and sit on them, facing us. 

“Do you want me to move?” I ask and the two guys shake their heads. 

“No, it’s okay. We always eat lunch with hyung. We were just surprised to find someone in the seat beside him.” I nod and start to eat my lunch. I don’t pay much attention to the three guys near me and they let me eat in peace. 

Just as the break is about to end the two younger guys stand up and wave to me. 

“Bye, Noona! See you later, hyung.” they say as they leave the room. 

“Sorry about them.” Young Jae says to me as the other kids scurry to their desks. I shake my head.

“No need to be. They’re kind of cute. In a very friendly, very loud kind of way.” I say, laughing. 

Young Jae starts to laugh too. 

“You’re funny.” he says, before pulling out the textbook for the next class. “So why did you transfer in your last year?” 

I hesitate for a second. “Umm, it’s kind of complicated.” 

“Oh. Sorry for prying. You don’t have to tell me. I just thought it would be one of those generic reasons like you set fire to your last school or something.” he says. I turn to look at him and he has this smirk on his face. We both stare at each other for a second before bursting out in laughter. 

We have to contain ourselves as the teacher walks in.

“You’re funny.” I say quietly enough for just Young Jae to hear as the teacher starts talking. I see him smiling at me from the corner of my eye and I keep my eyes on the board. 

 


 

Young Jae’s POV

 

This new girl sitting beside me is messing with my head. She only just transferred today and we’re hitting it off like old friends. I get the feeling she might like me but we’ve only just met so that’s impossible right? 

We talked in the morning and during the break but we never talk during class. I like that. She focuses on her work and she lets me focus on mine. It’s a nice change from the other kids I’ve been placed next to who always whisper to me while I’m trying to pay attention to the teacher. Especially, Na Ri. She never leaves me alone. Even when she’s on the other side of the room. 

I know that she tries to get my attention every chance she gets and it takes everything in me to not turn in her direction. It’s only been a day but Hye Jin being placed next to me, helps. I haven’t noticed Na Ri all day. Except for that time she came up to me and asked for help with her homework. Lame excuse. I thought she was smarter than that. 

Our last class ends and we’re both getting ready to leave when Na Ri approaches me again. 

“Oppa, what are you doing after school today?” she asks. 

“I’m tutoring Bam Bam and Yu Gyeom.” I say, slinging my bag over my shoulder. As if on cue Bam Bam and Yu Gyeom burst through the door. 

“Hyung! Let’s go. My mum is about to leave for work but she wanted to see us get started on our homework before she leaves.” Yu Gyeom says. I nod. 

“See you tomorrow, Hye Jin-ah.” I say as I turn around to leave.

“Bye Young Jae.” she says, waving. I sense Na Ri glaring at both of us as I leave the room, chasing after the two younger boys who have already run off. 

We arrive at Yu Gyeom’s place in record time. 

“Sorry Umma. We got here as fast as we could.” Yu Gyeom says, breathless to his Mum who is standing outside their apartment door, waiting. 

“It’s fine, dear. Now head on inside, I have to go. There’s money on the counter so make sure you all have dinner.” He kisses Yu Gyeom on the cheek and pats Bam Bam and I on the arm before rushing off towards the elevator. 

We enter Yu Gyeom’s apartment and head to his bedroom. We all plop down on the floor, getting our breath back after all the running we did. 

“Hyung.” Bam Bam says after a few minutes of silence. 

“Mm?” I reply, still staring up at the ceiling. 

“That new girl in your class…” 

“Hye Jin?” I ask. Why’s he asking about her?

“Yeah. You like her, don’t you?” I sit up and look at the two younger boys laying beside me. They both have smiles on their faces, but won’t meet my eyes. 

“Yah! What makes you say that?” I ask, crossing my legs and facing them. 

“We see the way you look at her. You kept glancing at her at lunch time.” Yu Gyeom says. The two look at each other and start to giggle. 

“I think you saw wrong. I don’t like her. At least not yet.” I mumble the last part. 

“But you’re interested. Aren’t you?” Bam Bam says, sitting up and looking at me. Yu Gyeom turns onto his side and props himself up on his elbow. 

I glance at the two of them and nod. That starts them off in another fit of giggles. I am interested in her. I don’t know what it is but I just want to get to know her better. There’s something about her that makes me want to protect her. I snap myself out of my daydream and smack the two boys in the back of the head.

“Enough of that. Yu Gyeom, you go order food and then let’s get started on your homework.” I say, getting up and heading out to the living room where we always work. 

While working on their math, the doorbell rings, signalling the arrival of our dinner. Bam Bam runs to open the door and soon enough we’ve pushed the textbooks aside and are chowing down on pizza. 

“So, hyung.” Yu Gyeom says, breaking the silence. 

“Hmm?” I respond, taking a bite out of the slice in my hand. 

“You gonna ask her out?” I cough, barely stopping myself from choking on the bite I was about to swallow. 

“Yah, Kim Yu Gyeom.” I glare at him but the younger boy doesn’t back down. 

“You know it’s about time you got yourself a girlfriend.” he says, shrugging. 

“Hyung is popular. He can get any girl he wants. It doesn’t have to be Hye Jin Noona.” Bam Bam says, taking another slice of pizza. 

“That’s the issue though isn’t it? Plenty of girls like hyung, but hyung has never liked a girl back.” Yu Gyeom says, matter-of-factly. 

“Will the two of you stop talking like I’m not here.” I say, glaring at the two of them. 

“Yu Gyeom-ah, did you hear something?” Bam Bam says, making Yu Gyeom laugh. I scrunch up a napkin and throw it at him. It lands lightly in his lap. Even the napkin has betrayed me.

 

 

A/N: A fairly boring opening... But I figured you'd want to know how they met right? And I can't help but make Bam Bam and Yu Gyeom cuties. I mean, have you seen them? When I write their stories they're going to be so full of aegyo you guys will hate me. Haha XP

Comment, subscribe, upvote? (I didn't even know that existed till now :P) 

xoxo