Hopeless

Are You Ready or Not?

Screams fill lungs instead of becoming voiced. Hands grasping air but with no release.

He still sinks.

The beating of his heart pounding in his ears. Fingers beginning to numb. Palms dry, even though he's been sinking for the past hour. Nails digging through everything that's been trying to stop him. His eyes are open but there's nothing to see. Only darkness.

He can stretch his hands only so far before watching them disappear in the distance. A chill overcoming his body as he just floats, drowns, in the silence. He should give up. But he wants to feel the warmth again. Warmth that radiates from that flame to his skin.

Instead he sits,  floats...drowns here. An everlasting chill filling his soul and prickling his skin. His vocal chords strained, already used up. Too beaten and tired to keep crying for someone who couldnt, wouldnt, hear him.

At the edge he sees a faint light, an aura so beautiful and enchanting. He tries to reach for it. But the sudden movement sends a rippling ache through his bones, to his soul. Slowly, with a sigh that lets the last bits of her leave his form, he pulls away his hand. Already the light is engulfed by another.

Already, it's too late for him to be saved.