Shadow

Are You Ready or Not?

He followed him everywhere. Like a lost puppy. Like a frightened babe.

At first it was unnoticeable. Seemed as if there was only a quick passing. A flicker of light. Just a trick of eyes. But he knew that his shadow would never leave him. On the long winter days that came and went, his shadow would hide. Try to hide from his owners worried gaze. Not knowing that his owner would have kept him safe.

Instead he chose to follow behind the older. A small hand wrapped tightly within the confines of the others clothes. The fabric bringing warmth to his chilled palms.

The older doesn't say a word when he feels the boy latch onto him.  He doesn't stop or hesitate in his movements either. He just continues on as if nothing was different.

Yet the next time the boy latches onto the olders clothes, he notices the softness that covers his form. A silk,smooth,warmth that flows effortlessly through smaller fingers.

Without a word, the older hands over a simple jacket. Grey in color. Softly placing it on worn shoulders. Handing his shadow a warm smile, he departs without waiting for the smallers response.

 

Spring comes sooner than he thought. The winter leaving behind rosey cheeks and chilled fingers. That are instead replaced with careless laughter and hopeless joy.

This time he has to wait longer to see the older again. He has to wait at least a month to feel his warmth again. During this time of fresh colors and delightful smells,he only feels scared almost,alone. The only thought that welcomes him is the memory of a comforting hand on his shoulder.

But what had been once just a memory became more than reality once again.

 

When it's time for him to see the older again, it's summer. The heat from the sun warming his cooled skin.

He spots him easily from afar. Blonde locks that are a strong contrast to his fair complection. Cheeks that are dusted with red as a result of the heat.

The boy hesitates. Just a step closer and he'd be safe once more. Close enough to follow but far enough to touch. 

But his choice is made when the older stops and turns to face his small shadow. He goes on bended knee and gives the boy a warm smile.

A smile that makes his shadow remember why he choose him that day instead of the taller that had been beside the blonde. 

He's brought out of his thoughts when the older puts a hand on his shoulder. "So, your my shadow?"

"Yes." confirmation leaves his lips before his brain has processed the question. 

"Do you know where you are?"

He looks aound him, as if only now noticing the multiple trees that are blooming with a vibrant green. Hues of the past spring withering from its branches. The blossoms that sway with the hidden breeze of summer. All bright hues of yellow, orange, red, and greens. Glowing with the energy that had been covered with the coming of the passed winter.

He looks back into the man's gaze and without a single drop of hesitation he says "Yes."

The man laughs, resting the hand that was on the younger's shoulder on his head instead. "Really now?"

His laughter brings a warmth to his shadows cheeks, and the boys eyes begin to glisten. Dark locks ruffling as he nods, hands reaching out to curl around the olders neck. His nose buried at his nape.

"I - I. I'm safe"

A palm lands on the small of his back. Holding him with such gentleness. The other stays within the confines of his hair. Softly caressing tears from the younger's eyes. 

"No," He lets go of the smaller slowly, a hand coming to rest on his cheek "Your home."