Hum

Your Soft Voice

A couple of days later after the news of EXO K and EXO M's union, the six men of the M subunit found themselves at a very familiar place. The airport, where their visits become more often as time flies. They used to just ride the plane to get to different parts of China but this time they're flying back to Korea. Because the company didn't publicly announce their return flight to Korea, the usual thick crowd of fans wasn't there to say goodbye to them, and they were a bit sad that they wouldn't be able to say goodbye to their Chinese fans before leaving. It might've always been a chaotic episode every time they make a trip to the airport, but they always loved the look on the fans' faces as they take pictures and offer them gifts along the way.

 

All of the members were quietly hanging around the waiting area while waiting for their flight. None of them were in the mood to goof around with each other given the early hour of the day, plus most of them are too sleepy to even keep standing. At the corner of the row, Kris was seated at the end while a sleeping Tao bobs his head again and again next to him. When he almost fell forward when he completely fell asleep, Kris caught him and just made him lean against him for support. Meanwhile, Lay sat quietly next to Chen while both of them have their earphones on.

 

As usual, Luhan stays the closest to his best friend. They were seated comfortably next to each other, with their shoulders touching. Luhan managed to rest his head at the curve where Xiumin's neck and shoulder meet. It was a default position they always do whenever they sit next to each other. Luhan managed to grab Xiumin's right hand with his left and he refuse to let it go without playing with it. He drew patterns at the back of Xiumin's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze once a while. He drew circles then the occasional heart shapes, rare enough not to get noticed. Then he'll stare at Xiumin's fingers, put his own fingers in between the spaces and will just smile at the perfect fit. He does this in an endless loop while they quietly sit together. Xiumin simply lets his best friend do what he wants. He was used to Luhan being naturally touchy with him. He gives him hugs, leans on him or plays with his hands. Xiumin just quietly sat beside him while he have his earphones. Their song 'Angel' plays on his playlist, the volume was low enough for him to have a conversation but loud enough for him to enjoy the music.

 

While everything in the airport drifted on and off in the silence of the early hour when the skies still have the dark touch in it, Luhan heard the calming angelic hum by the person next to him. He didn't make any movement in fear that Xiumin will stop, so he just allowed himself to drown with the soft touch of his voice. He closed his eyes and rid himself of the little noises around them and solely focused on the melody. Once in a while, Xiumin will sing some parts of the song, then he'll revert back to just humming. If Luhan's heart wasn't racing so much, he was confident that he would've fallen asleep to the lullaby created by that soft voice. He felt so content just leaning on Xiumin's shoulder and being his exclusive audience, it felt so perfect being there even though their surroundings were starting to stir as the clock continues to move. He almost groan with disappointment when the song finally came to an end together with Xiumin's sweet hums. He opened his eyes and resumed playing with the hand he was holding.

 

"Xiumin." he called in a quiet voice.

 

"Hm?" Xiumin responded while he leaned his head on top of Luhan's, and gently squeezed his hand. This just made Luhan's heart beat crazier than ever while he responded with a tighter grip on their intertwined hands.

 

"You have very pretty hands." he said it while massaging the back of Xiumin's hands and drew circle patterns again. He didn't dare to draw the heart patterns anymore because Xiumin's attention is on him and he's sure he'll notice the patterns by now.

 

The other just let out a soft chuckle, the vibration caused by it travelling all the way to Luhan's body and it made him feel at peace. Xiumin smiled and responded, "Baekhyun's hands are prettier than mine though."

 

"But I love your hands." he whispered quietly enough so the other won't hear through the song playing on his earphones, and he succeeded as he did not felt any reaction from him. "Plus they don't fit as perfectly as this." he added, admiring the perfect fit of their hands.

 

"And you have a cute face." Luhan told him again.

 

Xiumin chuckled again, "But Luhan, your face is cuter." In return, he massaged the back of Luhan's hand.

 

"I love your face more." he whispered again. Luhan waited for a reaction but there was nothing, he heaved a sigh of relief before turning their hands.

 

"And I love your voice." he gave another light squeeze on his hand and was tempted to bring it up to his face to kiss it.

 

"Yeah, you told me before. I love your voice, too, Luhan." he responded with an even softer tone. It was a good thing that Xiumin can't see his face right now, or he'll be having a very hard time explaining why it's flushed pink.

 

"Xiumin."

 

"Hm?" Xiumin snuggled Luhan's head with his own and Luhan repositioned his. It felt so comfortable being this close to each other and he found himself wishing that their flight would arrive later rather than sooner.

 

"Nothing." He started drawing circle patterns again at the back of Xiumin's hand with the occasional hearts that he half hoped will get noticed.

 

When he heard that the song playing on Xiumin's playlist is stronger and louder, he whispered as soft as he could, the words he wanted to say earlier and probably the thing he wanted to tell Xiumin the most.

 

"I love you." 

 

Xiumin gave no reaction and just hummed the melody of the song again, a clear sign that he didn't notice the words his best friend uttered and Luhan was content to just be able to tell it to Xiumin even if he intentionally made sure that he won't hear any of it. He made himself satisfied with this cowardly confession of his. He'll make sure to tell him, just not for now, but he'll find the right time and will pour his heart out for him. Hopefully, Xiumin will give him the chance to love him as something more than friends. Luhan can't say if Xiumin will be so accepting over his best friend developing more than platonic feelings for him, but he hoped that he will at least acknowledge the fact that he loves him.

 

'FLIGHT BOUND FOR SEOUL KOREA, PLEASE PROCEED TO DEPARTURE GATE 12A'