Longing

Your Soft Voice

After having the perfect date, Luhan and Xiumin slowly made their way back to the dorms. He was carefully carrying the shopping bag that holds his current most precious belonging. He couldn't help himself from peeking once in a while at his side, stealing glances at Xiumin as they walked. His heart melts every time their eyes will meet and Xiumin will return his smile with his own cute smile. 

 

When they arrived home, they heard chattering noises inside which was enough to tell them that the younger ones are already awake, though them being noisy first thing in the day is a bit weird. Hurriedly, they entered the house and found everyone crowded around in the living room. They approached them and found Kris' tablet in the middle of the commotion. The screen was also crowded as six very familiar faces try to fit themselves to the view of the camera.

 

"Xiumin-hyung! Luhan-hyung!" the other six screamed as their faces appeared on the screen.

 

The six members on the other end are still wearing their pajamas, same as how the other four on their side are still in their bed clothes. A total of 10 people are sporting their bedhairs and bare faces but no one cares as all of them try to get their faces as close and as visible as possible on the screen.

 

"Where were you two?" Chanyeol asked with a complaining tone. They'll even bet that he's currently stomping his feet like a kid despite being a six-foot tall giant.

 

"Yah! Yeol! Do you even need to ask that? Of course, they were on a date." Baekhyun answered him in a scolding tone. Although, Chanyeol's face looked full of adoration as he looked back at his best friend.

 

They all just laughed and Xiumin played along and followed it up with a "Yup, we were on a coffee date. Jealous?"

 

Hearing Xiumin talk so comfortably, lifted a lot of weight on Luhan's shoulder. Although they converse in the dorm through Korean, the pressure in Xiumin's voice was obvious. As much as possible, he does his best to try and grasp Chinese to a conversational level which puts unnecessary weight on the way he speaks. But talking with the K members right now sounded like Xiumin had been momentarily lifted off the burden of the language barrier and Luhan couldn't be any more relieved.

 

"Hyung~ That's not fair! You said the three of us will go!" Chen complained while stomping his feet when he realized that the two oldest had left him out. Even Chen immediately reverted back to calling them 'hyung' instead of the usual 'gege'.

 

"Okay, guys, enough talk about the coffee date. We were talking about something important before the coffee-couple arrived." Kris made a quick stop to the flow of the conversation which diverted them from their main topic at hand.

 

"Right! You guys will be flying back to Korea in a couple of days." Suho said in a very enthusiastic tone.

 

"We need to start practicing for our comeback! This time we'll be promoting as 12! Both K and M!" Chanyeol was almost shouting with excitement. It didn't help that he has a big voice and the volume was set to max so they all ended up flinching with the loudness.

 

"Is that true?" Tao asked. Their Chinese maknae looked at their faces one by one to sense how true the news is and he was already breaking to a smile.

 

"Yup, are you guys sure?" Lay followed it up, his Korean having that hard Chinese accent as always but the excitement almost made his words incomprehensible. It was a good thing that all of them are used to him which didn't really give them much of a problem understanding.

 

"We haven't heard anything about it from the manager." Kris explained.

 

"Hyung, your manager is still sleeping." D.O. simply answered.

 

"We only heard about it this morning when we woke up and I immediately called you guys." Sehun stated with a proud look on his face.

 

"Yah! Sehun! Don't you mean us?" Kai complained beside him.

 

"I mean, me! I, me alone. You were still sleeping when manager-hyung announced it."

 

"That's enough, guys! D.O. was the one who called them. The two of you were still sleeping when manager-hyung told us." Suho scolded the two maknaes.

 

"Told ME, hyung. You're also still asleep." D.O. corrected.

 

Their side couldn't hold the laughter while the other side bickered about who called them and who were actually awake when they received the news. It doesn't feel like they were separated for months or that they're miles apart and are just conversing through the screen. They were still the same since they were last together. Arguing all the time and talking non-stop, voices overlapping with each other. There will be no second of dead silence when the 12 of them are together.

 

"Then, I guess we'll hear about it when the manager wakes up." Luhan said, concluding the argument.

 

"We miss you guys." Xiumin said softly beside him, a little smile forming on those small lips of his. There it is again, their unspoken rule, even the other side went completely quiet when their oldest spoke. "We really really miss you guys." he emphasized. All of them can hear the longing in Xiumin's voice. It was enough to melt all the noise the 11 of them could possibly make.

 

One by one, they followed up Xiumin with 'We miss you, too.' then comes the 'Saranghae' 'See you in a few days' and 'Take care'.

 

After a few more minutes of exchanging sincere sweet messages to each other, which turned ito cheesy lines halfway, inducing cringe-worthy exchanges,  the manager was calling for their Chinese leader, Kris. They were ecstatic to send him away to personally receive the news.

 

The K members started saying their goodbyes on the other end and the M members were also gettiing ready to drop the call. When Chen was about to cut the video call connection on their side, Xiumin exited the living room first and went into his room to change. Luhan was also about to leave and change as well when Lay tugged his clothes telling him to stay. When he looked back at the screen, all the other six are still there, grinning from ear to ear and looked nowhere near leaving the screen any time soon.

 

"So? Was it really a date, hyung?" Baekhyun was talking in a very hushed tone, almost whispering, very different from how loud they were earlier.

 

"Yeah, hyung. Tell us about it!" Even D.O. seems enthusiastic about this.

 

"When did you confess?" Now even Suho's in on the topic.

 

"When did you two started going out?" Sehun asked as well.

 

"Yeah Luhan-hyung, since when?" Chanyeol immediately followed up.

 

"And tell us all the details! Don't leave anything out." Kai joined, too.

 

"Yah! You, people! You're all in on this?!" Luhan screamed, or he wanted to scream, but he couldn't let Xiumin hear this so he spoke in the loudest way he can that wouldn't reach the room.

 

All the other nine members just gave him a judging look and even though they didn't roll their eyes, Luhan could sense the mental eye roll of everyone around him.

 

"So are you guys official now?" Suho asked again.

 

"He's still working on that, hyung." Tao answered his mom.

 

"What? Still? Still working on it? But he's been head over heels with Xiumin-hyung since trainee days!" the six of them argued in an almost synchronized way.

 

"Are you guys having fun teasing me like this?" Luhan complained.

 

"YES!" his younger brothers answered in unison as if they practiced ways on how to gang up against him.

 

Mentally throwing his hands in the air, he left the living room while complaining under his breath about his dongsaengs being all too interested with his lovelife. Though, it made him hate himself all over again for not realizing his feelings for Xiumin earlier. If all of them noticed it as early as trainee days then it was safe to assume that he really was head over heels over him from the start.

 

On his way to his room, the door to Xiumin's room opened, revealing his best friend fully changed by now. He smiled at Luhan and said a simple "Go and get changed." in Chinese.

 

He really do need to confess soon. His heart wouldn't be able to take anymore inoccent attacks from clueless Xiumin giving him cute expressions and soft whispers and matching gifts and caring words and such lovable features and...and.... he really needs to do this or he might go insane trying to restrain himself from showering him with "I love you", and hugging him and probably from kissing him, too.

 

Xiumin tapped Luhan's face gently as the Chinese member got lost in his thoughts again. With Xiumin, being so close and even touching his face, he swore he'll end up jumping him sooner or later, and suddenly the need to confess became all too much.