Chapter 8

Just Go With It

 

 

 

The long sweltering summer days quickly turned into cool autumn evenings. Before either of them knew it summer had come to a close and for Mark it meant going back to his "normal" life.

He spent the majority of the summer sneaking in and out of his house to hang out with a boy. This said boy taught him many things, some useful and others not so much. Many early mornings were spent with Jackson helping Mark's improve his driving skills, even it meant driving around in the local mall's parking lot for hours. It took a couple of days but Mark finally got the hang of it thanks to Jackson. Best of all, Mark finally got to take his long awaited road trip to San Francisco with Jackson. Five hours on the road just enjoying the music being played on the music and admiring the scenery. Of course, thousands of lies were told in the spam of this summer, more than Mark had ever told in his seventeen years of living. He didn't regret any of it honestly he had his fun and enjoyed being with Jackson Wang very much.

If any of his friends heard of this they wouldn't even believe it to be honest. Mark Tuan. The vulnerable and awkward Mark Tuan was out partaking in these type of activities. With his friends at school it would take his entire group of friends just to persuade him to hang out with him, but if anyone was to inform them of what he was up to this summer they would shake their heads in disbelief. Mark Tuan had changed.

When normal school started back up again, Mark failed to tell his friends about Jackson. When they asked about his summer he gave them a diluted version of what his summer had been. Simply telling them that he went to summer school and worked his off and spent time with his family in his free time. He didn't want anyone to know about what he and Jackson had. It was difficult enough having his father look at him completely differently when he found out and didn't want that from his friends too. Even his best friend Jinyoung didn't have the slightest clue of the adventures Mark had during the summer.

Speaking of Jinyoung, he had walked home with Mark after their long day of school. When they said their goodbyes, Mark's mother insisted the boy stayed over for dinner. Mark was very annoyed by this, but tried his hardest through a smile. He had planned to call Jackson and spend the afternoon discussing how boring school was and what they plane to do the next time they see each other. But, no. Now he would have to deal with his friend Jinyoung for another two hours which could have been spent on Jackson.

Both boys were now in Mark's room getting a start on their homework. Jinyoung was absorbed in his history textbook and taking quick notes on the important details which wasn't a surprise because he's always been studious. Meanwhile Mark had his textbook open but instead of reading any of the assigned pages he was too caught up in his text messages with Jackson. Jackson was going on and on about how Jaebum made a fool of himself in front of his crush and Mark couldn't help but laugh aloud forgetting Jinyoung was even in the room.

"What's so funny?" Jinyoung said looking up from his notes.

"Nothing."

"C'mon I want to laugh too."

"No it's really nothing. Let's just go back to doing our homework."

"I was the only one actually working while you were playing around on your phone."

"Jinyoung just drop it. It doesn't concern you."

"Look you've been really distancing yourself since we came back from summer break and we barely see each other. Now you can't even tell me who you're talking too?"

Jinyoung had a valid point but honestly Mark was scared and didn't want Jinyoung to look at him differently for dating someone like Jackson. But, Jinyoung was his best friend and he had the right to know something.

"Fine. Over the summer I meet a guy and we hung out a few times and now we've remained friends. That's it."

"Do all friends give each other hickeys then?"

Mark almost choked on his own spit and quickly adjusted his collar, trying his hardest to hide his neck. Jinyoung's eyes grew wide and his mouth hung open. He knew Mark was seeing someone but he was only joking about the hickeys and didn't expect Mark to react this way. 

"I was only kidding. Holy ! You have a boyfriend!"

 Mark quickly covered Jinyoung's mouth with his hand and spoke in a hush tone. "Keep your voice down before someone hears you."

Jinyoung proceeded to bombard Mark with millions of questions in a much lower tone but Mark still wasn't able to keep up with him.

"His name is Jackson and we met at summer school, that's really it"

Jinyoung's ears began to slowly turn a deep crimson and he kept his eyes on the ground before asking his next question.

"Have you guys you know, had yet?

"No we haven't had yet, but we've gotten pretty close."

Pretty close meaning Jackson having hand way too far down Mark's pants the last time they had seen each other.

"That's a relief. I didn't want you loosing your ity before me." Jinyoung joked as he plopped himself on the bed with Mark. "Am I going to see him at your birthday dinner?"

"He won't be coming."

"Why not?"

Mark wanted to say something along the lines of, "he has to work late that day" or "he's going to be out of town that weekend", but telling those lies would only make things way more complicated than they needed to be.

"My parent's don't know we're together."

"So? He could just come as a friend."

"No, my parents know him and they don't like him. They think he's a bad influence on me."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah.He didn't make the best first impression with my parents."

"Wow who would have thought. Quiet Mark Tuan is dating a badass behind his parent's back, what a love story to tell my grandkids."

"He's not a badass he's just misunderstood."

"Any human being that your mother doesn't like must be menace. You know your mother loves everyone unconditionally."

You don't-"

"Mark! Jinyoung! Dinner is ready!"

Jinyoung hopped of Mark's quickly and dashed down the steps towards the dinning room. Jinyoung loved Mrs. Tuan's cooking and was normally the only one praised her for her cooking. Mark sighed and got off his bed, taking a quick stretch of his limbs. He grabbed his phone and sent a quick text to Jackson before going down to the dinning room.

By the time he made it down the stairs everyone had already began eating and chatting away. Jinyoung had always been a hit in his family and Mark wondered what his life would be like if he had fallen for Jinyoung instead of Jackson. Maybe his parents wouldn't hate him and have him under constant supervision, things would be different for Mark just maybe.

"Can I invite some of my friends to your birthday dinner?" Joey asked in between bites of his dumplings.

"Joey you know it's Mark's friends and family only." Mr. Tuan said before Mark even had a chance to reply.

"No it's okay you can invite your friends I don't mind."

He really didn't care who showed up. He wanted Jackson to be there or even spend his entire birthday with Jackson. This dinner party idea was orginal meant for his close friends and Mark was positive that Jackson would be able to make it, but Mr. Tuan saw right through Mark and made sure to invite himself along with other relatives. Discouraging any plan he knew his son was trying to achieve.

Mark was ed and there was no way he would enjoy his upcoming eighteenth birthday.

 


 

Now Mark’s birthday dinner wasn’t as horrible as he thought it would be. All his relatives that he hasn’t seen in ages flew in just to see him and celebrate his day. They were all very talkative and there was never a dull moment at their restaurant table. They brought up old stories on how Mark acted when he was younger and how they knew he would grow into a decent young man. Even his school friends managed to keep him smiling the entire night and Mark was glad. His parents even put up their smiling and happy facade for his guest, they surely didn’t want anything to ruin Mark’s night.

 

Of course every now and then he would pull his phone from his pants pocket and text Jackson discreetly under the table. The conversation started off cute and simple with Jackson wishing him ‘happy birthday’ and where they could sneak off to later to now begin more , with Jackson describing the possible birthday presents Mark could receive from him. Mark tried his hardest not to show any signs of arousal but once he began to loosen his tie, Jinyoung was staring him down knowingly. Prior to arriving at the restaurant Jinyoung had warned him on what Jackson would possibly want to give him as a present, yet Mark obviously dismissed it as a joke, but now he wasn’t too sure.

“You okay there Mark?” Mr. Tuan asked his son when he noticed he was paying too much attention to his crotch area.

 

Mark quickly looked up and pocketed his cell phone.

“Yeah. I was just reading birthday messages I got from some friends.”

Mr. Tuan knew something was up but dismissed his feeling of suspicion, not trying to ruin his son’s day. He went back to eating his food and chatting with his relatives, but keeping an eye on Mark every now and again.

After about three hours of constant chatter and eating, the Tuan family members and friends started to leave the restaurant. In the parking lot area everyone began to say their last goodbyes and last birthday wishes to Mark.  Mr. Tuan and Mrs. Tuan got in their cars with Joey and Mark following behind. Even though he came to the restaurant with his family he wasn’t going to leave with them. Jackson asked if he could pick him up and of course Mark said yes with the exception of letting him bring along Jinyoung. Not wanting Jinyoung to be the awkward third wheel he asked if Jackson could invite Jaebum and the boy agreed. Even though he wanted to be alone with Jackson, he was nervous and didn’t want to put himself in a predicament where he would regret something plus Jinyoung really wanted to meet Jackson and wouldn’t leave him alone about it.

“Who else will be with you?” Mr. Tuan asked before driving off.

“It’s just Jinyoung and myself. I promise.”

 

“Mark, we’re trusting you here. It took us months just to give you back some of your privileges and we don’t want to regret.”

“Dad I promise you won’t. Trust me.”

Mr. Tuan stared at Mark sternly looking for any slight change in his son’s facial expression to indicate he was lying, but he couldn’t find any. He wanted to trust Mark again but he couldn’t shake the feeling that something wasn’t right.

“Honey, let’s just go. He’s earned back our trust so let’s believe him and go home.” Mrs. Tuan said to her husband.

“Have a safe night. We love you.”

With that his parent’s finally droved off leaving just Jinyoung and Mark alone in the parking lot.

“You’re so a pro with this lying thing.”

“Isn’t that suppose to be a bad thing?”

“For you? No. Before I couldn’t even get you to stay up past twelve on a school night, but now look at you.”

“I’ve learned from the best.”

 

After about twenty minutes of small talk with Jinyoung, a familiar blue Toyota pulled into the parking lot and Mark tried to suppress his natural excitement that came when he’s with Jackson. The car pulled up right in front of them and the driver’s door opened up, revealing Jackson in his colorless attire. Both boys walked towards each other and Jackson pulled Mark into a tight hug. It had been exactly two weeks since they last seen each other and Mark never wanted to let go of Jackson. Mark pulled away a bit and kissed Jackson on his lips. Jackson tasted of nicotine and the usual peppermint that he would eat right after smoking so no one would notice.

The car honking scared both of them and Mark pulled himself away from Jackson to wave at Jaebum.

“Can you guys speed things up I would really like to go already.”

“We’re leaving right now calm down.” Jackson yelled back to his friend.

“Almost forgot, this is my best friend Jinyoung and Jinyoung this is Jackson and Jaebum.”

Jinyoung gave both boys an awkward wave to both boys before getting in the car with Mark.

“Jaebum you know the deal, backseat.”

“Only because it’s his birthday.”

Mark now sat in the front seat of the vehicle and grabbed onto Jackson's hand before they drove off to their destination to enjoy the rest of Mark's birthday.