Chapter 5

Just Go With It

 

 

Waking at seven in the morning had been hell for Mark. When he got home earlier he only really managed to get about three hours of sleep, as soon as he was about to fall asleep Jackson had called him. He spent another two hours on the phone until they both fell asleep on each other. Then having his mom knock on his door yelling about him being late didn't really help either. He had finally gotten up after she had threatened to ground him for another month, this definitely pushed him to begin his morning routine. Which consisted of sloppily making his bed,taking a shower and brushing his teeth. Finding an outfit was much more difficult this morning because he actually had someone to impress. He normally wouldn't care and throw whatever on but he wanted to look nice for Jackson. It took about ten minutes but Mark finally found an outfit that he felt most confident in and made his way down the stairs to the kitchen.

His mother had just put his plate on the table and he sat down next to brother, eating quietly.

"Mom, Mark said he was going to take me to the movies tonight is that okay?"

Mark nearly choked on his eggs and quickly grabbed his glass of orange juice. Of course this brat wouldn't forget about his promise, but Mark was pretty sure he meant on Saturday not Friday when he had plans with Jackson but oh well.

"Depends on how long you guys are going to be out for. You know how your father and I feel about you guys staying out late."

"I was thinking we could catch that six o'clock showing of that movie about the apes taking over." Mark said after he swallowed his last gulp of orange juice.

"You mean Planet of the Apes."

"Some like that."

The sound of silverware clanking together caused everyone to turn their heads at Mark's dad.

"It's only seven in the morning and you're cursing. When has it ever been okay to curse in that house or anywhere?" His father asked wiping his mouth with his napkin and staring Mark down.

"Never."

"Then why did you do it?"

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to."

The silence between the four of them was awkward after his father's outburst. Yeah he understands how his father disapproves of "inappropriate behavior" but it wasn't that serious.

Once Mark was done with his food he grabbed his plate and cup and brought it over to the sink, Joey followed closely behind him.

Mark put their dishes in the sink and began to wash them.

"How was last night with your friend?"

Mark visibly tensed up and looked into the dinning room to see if his parents had heard what Joey had asked. Thank God they were deep in conversation to even hear him.

"It was fine but lower your voice next time. I don't want  mom and dad asking a billion and one questions."

"What did you guys do?"

"We just went out to eat that's all."

"You risked dad killing you because you wanted  a late night snack really?"

See when he said it like that Mark felt like an idiot,but Joey was still too young to understand why he was willing to risk everything just be with Jackson even if it was only for an hour.

"You wouldn't understand."

"People your age are so weird."

"Whatever. Don't you have some videogames to play or something?"

"You're right. I'll leave you alone now, have fun at summer school."

Mark cleaned off the last dish and made his way back to the kitchen to tell his father he was ready to go. His father stood up from his seat and pulled out his car keys from his pocket and made his way outside to the car. Mark grabbed his book bag and said goodbye to his mother before following his father.

'You should really consider getting yourself a license. You're old enough and I know you don't like me driving you around everywhere."

"I'll get my license soon, but letting you drive me is better than taking than taking the bus."

His father just nodded and just like that their morning conversation ended. The rest of the car ride was just silence between the two and the only noise came from the radio playing old hits from the seventies.After a short twenty minute drive they finally pulled into the school's parking lot. Mark quickly scanned his surroundings and saw Jackson's car parked not too far away..

"Have a good day at school. I'll be here at eleven to pick you up okay?"

"Yeah dad I'll see you later."

Mark opened his door and got the vehicle and closed the door behind him. He waved to his father once last time before the man drove off. In all honesty he didn't even want to go to school today. He didn't do the homework that was assigned but he really had no other choice being that Jackson was probably already in class. He took a deep breath and walked up the school's front stairs just to get the day over with.

 


 

After two excruciating long hours Mark was finally done with school for the day. I wasn't really paying attention during the lesson most because he just wanted to go back home. He caught himself falling asleep every ten minutes and it became difficult just to keep his eyes open. He collected his belongings and tossed them in his book bag before existing out the classroom. As soon as he walked out of the classroom, there was Jackson leaning against the hallway wall waiting for him. He smiled at him as Jackson grabbed as hand so they could walk out the school together. They engaged in small chit chat well mostly Jackson did the talking and Mark just listened and laughed every now and then.

"Where do you want to go today?"

"I can't hang out with you today actually."

"Why not?"

"Well my dad is going to be here to pick me up in a few minutes and I have to take my little brother to the movies tonight."  

Mark instantly felt bad when he saw the hurt look on Jackson's face. He wanted to spend time with him too but he did promise his brother they would go out.

"That's alright. I'll find something else to do then."

Once again making him feel like absolute .

Before he got a chance to respond he saw his father's car from a close distance. Why must he be here so early? Mark needed to make it up to Jackson and fast.

"Listen Jackson we could-."

Unfortunately, he didn't get a chance to finish his sentence when a short blonde haired girl pushed passed him to hug Jackson. It was the same girl that clung on to him when they first met. He remembers her name being Hyeri and she didn't have the best reputation.

"Jackson! Can you give me a ride home?"

Before Jackson responded to her he looked at Mark.

"Yeah sure."

He was doing this on purpose, he had to be. But, Mark didn't understand why. It's not like he intentionally planned to do this to Jackson or anything it just happened.

She made her way into Jackson's car and waited for him to end his conversation with Mark and drive her home already.

At the same time his father pulled into the school parking lot and honked his horn letting Mark know he was there. Mark wasn't sure if it was the humidity or jealous that made it hard for him to think straight but he wrapped his arms around Jackson's neck and pulled the boy into a kiss. He wanted to pretend that he as giving Jackson a kiss goodbye but in the back of his mind he wanted Hyeri to know exactly who Jackson belong to.

"You can come with us if you like." Mark mumbled out in between kisses.

Jackson pulled a part from him and smiled before pulling him in for one last kiss.

"I think I should go your dad doesn't look too happy."

"I'll see you tonight then."

Mark said goodbye to Jackson for the fifth time before he got into his father's car and they drove off. The car ride was slighly awkward just because his father had no comment on what he saw. He expected the man to yell something along the lines of, "you're spending your time worrying about boys when you should be studying" at him. But no, he got none of that just another silent car ride home.

 


 

After Mark and Joey were dropped in front of the movie theater by their father, Mark automatically spotted Jackson by the entrance as well. He quickly said goodbye to his dad and climbed out the car Joey in tow. He thinks he heard his father say something about "staying safe" but he wasn't sure because the only thing on his mind was Jackson. He rushed over to the boy and his young brother was struggling to keep up. He wrapped his arm around Jackson's neck once again and kissed him for the second time that day.

"Mark who's this?"

Joey spoke up and the two separated.

"Um this is Jackson and Jackson this is my brother Joey."

The two shook hands and Jackson even went out of his way to compliment Joey in an attempt to break the ice.

The rest of the trip to the movies went by smoothly and they were all enjoying themselves. The awkwardness between Joey and Jackson quickly ended when they found themselves laughing at similar scenes.

As the movie was coming to an end, Jackson took this opportunity to move his arm from around Mark and grabbed the flask he had hidden in his back pocket. He took a few sips and was already feeling really buzzed. Mark eyed him curiously and asked what he was drinking, he didn't answer him but instead just giving him the flask to drink.

Mark was a bit hesitant and took a sip, he wasn't too sure what he expected the liquid to be but it had a bitter taste and burned as it traveled down his throat. He continued to share the flask with Jackson. They continued passing it back and forth taking a sip each until it was finished. Mark wasn't too sue on how he was feeling but his hands felt numb and the urge to laugh was building in his throat. He felt Joey tap him telling him it was time to go but he could barely stand up straight.

"Are you alright?" Joey asked once they were back outside.

"I'm great." 

Mark felt himself tripping over his tongue just to get that sentence out. He didn't feel too good but he kind of liked the feeling of walking on air when in reality he was tripping over his own two feet.

"Let me drive you guys home." Jackson said as he unlocked his car. 

Mark wasn't sure if Jackson was as much of a mess like him or he was perfectly fine, he wasn't certain of anything in the drunken haze.

Joey opened the backseat's door and climbed into Jackson's car. He certainly knows if he was sober he wouldn't think about getting in the car with Jackson in this state, but when it came to Jackson everything seemed like a great idea.