Chapter 4

Just Go With It

 

 

 

Mark's vibrating phone woke the boy up from his much needed sleep. He tried to ignore the sound but it was getting more annoying by the second. Groaning Mark reached out for his cell phone, the bright screen light nearly blinded him, he saw that he had two text messages from Jinyoung and a missed call from Jackson.

. I forgot about the party.

Mark fumbled with his phone and quickly dialed the boys number and hoped Jackson would pick up. The ringing seem to never stop and Mark was beginning to worry that Jackson left without him.

"Jackson I'm so sorry I-I forgot about the party and didn't wake up until now."

"It's fine. I didn't want to go that much anyway."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I would rather just us two hanging out anyway. That reminds me, how did your parents react to you coming home late?"

"My mother was a crying mess and over exaggerating but as usual my dad was pissed. He couldn't even look me in the face. I tried to explain but he kind of told me that we shouldn't be friends. Then he grounded me for a month."

"That ing , parents are so annoying.You're not going to listen to him right?"

Mark hesitated for a moment.

"No of course not. I like hanging out with you too much."

"I like it too."

"Did your parents come home yet?"

"Uh yeah my mom came back a couple hours ago. She ed at me for having the living room a mess."

Mark chuckled loudly but quickly stopped when he realized it was kind of late and didn't want to wake anyone in the house up.

"You at cleaning."

"I tried my best. I even fluffed the pillows! Who actually fluffs pillows?"

"You should have told me I could have helped fluff your pillows."

"You want to fluff my pillows?"

There was a slight pause when Mark started to realize what he exactly the boy was getting at.

"You're disgusting."

Mark heard Jackson release an hyena type laugh and couldn't help but laugh too with Jackson.  After the laughter died down there was a silence between the two and for a moment they both listened to each other's breathing before Jackson spoke up again.

"Do you want to come over tonight?"

"You know I can't."

"We won't be long I promise."

"Jackson my dad-"

"I know I know but I just really want to see you."

"I really cant."

Mark could hear Jackson sigh and mumble a curse word under his breath. He didn't want to disappoint neither Jackson or his parents, but Jackson seemed like he knew how to fix everything and everything felt right when they were together.

"It's alright it was stupid anyway."

Jackson sure knew how to make Mark feel like absolute about listening to his parents. Mark grew up abiding to the rules but it was starting to become clear that Jackson just didn't care. While Mark was concerned about upsetting his parents Jackson was always so relaxed about everything. Mark wanted to be like that, he wanted to not have a care in the world just like Jackson. Screw his parents.

"I changed my mind. I'll come over."

"Mark you really don't have to. I understand your parents are already breathing down your neck and you don't want to disappoint them."

"I don't care about that I'll be there."

"Well . What about your parents?"

" them. It's summer and I want to enjoy myself."

Jackson let out a deep chuckle. "I like this side of you. I'll pick you up in twenty minutes?"

"Yeah I'll go get ready, bye."

They both hung up and Mark threw him phone back on his night table. He sat up from his previous position on his bed and ran his fingers through his tousled hair. He wasn't sure what came over him but anything was better than being in this house tonight. His parents were already mad at him and neither of them even spoke to him for the rest of the day so who cares if he stepped out the house for a minute. Okay well maybe not exactly a minute but Jackson did say they wouldn't be there long. Getting up from his bed he walked over to his closet and pulled out a pair of sneakers. After tying his laces he made sure to be extra quiet when he turned his bedroom door's doorknob.

Once he made it through his door, he slowly walked down the steps. Each footstep make a creaking noise but hopefully it wouldn't wake anyone. When he finally made it to the last step, he heard a door open up. Turning around he saw his younger brother Joey standing at the top of the stairs. He almost pissed himself thinking it was one of his parents and having to come up with a horrible excuse as to where he was going.

"Joey go back to bed."

"I will but where are you going?"

"'I'm going to hang out with a friend now go back to bed."

"Who Jinyoung? Tell him I said hi."

"No not Jinyoung it's someone you never met before but please go back to bed."

"What if mom and dad notice you're gone?"

"Then you don't say anything okay? You never saw me."

"You want to lie."

"That's the idea. Just be a kid for five seconds and lie for your older brother please."

"Mom says-"

"Ignore whatever mom told you and do me a favor."

Neither Mark or Joey ever lied to their parents before or even done anything remotely rebellious and this was a first for the both of them. It is understandable that Joey would be apprehensive, but Mark didn't have the time or patience to argue about his parent's rules.

"Okay but you owe me."

"I'll take you to the movies this weekend I promise."

"You better."

With that Joey walked back into his room, leaving Mark to make his long awaited escape. He walked over to the front door and grabbed onto the doorknob but something stopped him from turning the knob and walking outside. His mother's teary eyes flashed into his head and there was a weird feeling forming in his chest.

Guilt

Why would he feel guilty? He wanted to do this. He wanted to sneak out and be with Jackson. Jackson was his breath of fresh air, the weight he constantly carried on his shoulders to keep his parents satisfied was lifted when he was with Jackson. So why would he be guilty?

The buzzing in his pocket distorted his thoughts and he frantically reached for his phone. It was a call from Jackson, he's been distracted for too long that he forgot that the boy was waiting for him outside. Pressing the 'answer' option he place his ear to the phone.

"Mark where are you?"

"I'm leaving the house right now I just got caught up in something."

"Well you need to hurry up just a bit."

Mark still caught himself staring at the doorknob contemplating everything. It seemed ridiculous. A simple task such as sneaking out was so thought provoking for him.

"Mark are you there?"

He ignored everything fiber in his being telling him not to go and turned the doorknob. He took one shaky step forward and was now outside his home. Slowly closing the door so it didn't make a noise he walked down the front steps and was now on his way.

"I'm outside now. Where are you?"

"I'm down the street babe."

Mark began to walk away from his block and now down the street towards Jackson. He once again ignored the feeling in his chest telling him to go back home. When he spotted Jackson leaning against his car was his phone in his hand, those thoughts seemed to disappear. Jackson looked up from his phone when he head footsteps approaching him and a wide grin appeared on his face. He placed his phone back into his pocket and gave Mark a quick hug when he was in reach.

"What took you so long?"

"My brother stopped me and asked me a billion questions before agreeing not to tell me parents."

"I'm happy you didn't change your mind again."

"I wouldn't have. I don't want to see you pout."

"I don't pout!"

Mark laughed a bit and opened the passenger door to finally get into the car. The car reeked of smoke and the smell caused Mark to go into a coughing fit. The smell was suffocated and he wasn't sure how Jackson drove the car here without passing out.

"What is that horrible smell?"

"Oh I found a pack of cigarettes in back seat and decided to finish the pack. Is that a problem?"

"Well I could have choked to death."

"But you didn't you'll get used to it anyway."

"Let's just go I'm getting jittery still by being so close to my house."

"You need to relax."

"It's hard to relax when you think your parents are going to walk out that house any minute."

"Look, it's going to be okay. I'm going to have you home before they even notice that you're missing I promise. Now to calm your nerves you can have my last one."

Jackson pulled out the last cigarette from the box and held it out to Mark.

it he might as well.

 


 

Thirty minutes into their drive Mark started to realize that Jackson didn't have a clue on where they should go. They were in the Los Angeles city area driving passed stores and restaurants that were closing and the only places still open where the places they weren't old enough to get into. Don't get him wrong it's not like he wasn't enjoying the ride with Jackson, he loved singing along with him to whatever song played on the radio and once he got a hand on the whole smoking thing he was way more relaxed.

"Are you hungry?"

"Just a bit yeah."

"Let's stop at the burger place down of Melrose."

Mark grabbed a hold of Jackson's free hand and gave it a tight squeeze. He pretended not to nice how red Jackson's cheeks got or how he bite his lips trying to hide his smile. When they finally pulled into the parking area there were only three other cars there and Mark wondered what time it was. Usual this place was packed no matter what time it was. Grabbing Jackson's wrist he looked at his watch.

1:16 am

"Jackson I have to go home soon."

"I'll get you home right after this."

They both walked inside the fast food restaurant hand in hand. The only people there busy eating their food and paid no attention when they walked in. Jackson walked up to the cashier and began to place their order. Mark tried to ignore how extra cheery the cashier was and how she eyed Jackson up and down, he wasn't jealous just annoyed just a little bit. When they received their food, Jackson found a booth all the way in the back away from everyone. It was nice. Eating greasy food at one in the morning with a guy he liked. Jackson made sure there was never silence between them and started telling Mark what felt like a billion of stories about the crazy stunts he and Jaebum did at their school. Jackson's life seemed ten times more exciting than Mark's, when Mark thought staying up until six in the morning on a school night was an act of rebellion was small compared to Jackson. Jackson was going to parties and hanging out with the cool crowd. Mark wanted to a part of that, he wanted to be a part of Jackson's life.

"Mark we could leave now or you can continue to stare at me."

"I'm sorry I just got lost in thought. Yeah let's go."

 


 

The drive back home was extremely short and as much as Mark didn't want to his parents to know he snuck out he actually wanted to spend more time to Jackson. He wanted to know more about the boy, every single detail. What his favorite color was, What pisses him off, When makes him smile uncontrollably, anything was good enough for Mark. But, he guessed he would have to wait.

Jackson pulled up to the same spot he parked when he first picked up Mark. A soft song played softly in the background from the radio, Jackson still held onto to Mark's left hand. Mark unbuckled his seatbelt and removed his hand from Jackson's, he knew the  other boy didn't want him to go but it was unavoidable he had to go.

"I had a great time even though we really just rode around the city for two hours."

"It was better than staying in your room all night."

"That's true. I guess I'll see you at school later?"

"Yeah."

Before Mark got out of the car he gave Jackson a quick peck and was ready to be on his way.

"That's it? That's all I get?"

Mark leaned in once again but this time Jackson grabbed a hold of his chin and pulled him onto his mouth. This kiss was much slower and Mark could feel Jackson on his bottom lip. Everything about this kiss was rough and Mark never expierced anything like this before. Before long Jackson had his tongue explore Mark's mouth. It didn't take long for Mark to moan and push Jackson away.

"Now I really have to go."

Mark opened the car door and waved to Jackson one last time before he drove off. He quickly walked up the street to his house. Thankfully, all the lights were still off hopefully meaning everyone was still asleep. He slowly unlocked the front door and closed it slowly once he stepped inside. A wave of relief washed over him and he was glad he had made it home without being caught. He walked up the stairs to his bedroom and shut the door before plopping himself back on his bed. 

Even though he was nervous and skeptical in the beginning he couldn't wait to go out with Jackson again.