14 Years Later

Waiting for Our Tomorrow

And so the story begins. How long will we be stuck dwelling in the past if tomorrow comes, but we don't accept its presence?

 

14 Years Later:

It was Hyunae's 18th birthday but she was working a double shift at the restaurant. She swore once she was old enough, she would work to give back everything she could to the Lee family despite feeling that she would always be indebted to them. The life she's taken away from them, and they still took her in. She relocated to the basement of the house in order to lessen her intrusion on her space. Although Mrs. Lee loves her as her own, she did not oppose of Hyunae's wishes.

 

Hyunae cooked breakfast and dinner everyday and leave it for Eunhyuk and his Mother before she left for school and before she left for work. She refused to let Auntie take her shopping or do things for her; with the exception of the presents that she was left no choice but to accept. She had tried so hard to get Auntie to let her pay rent, but she strongly refused over and over. So instead Hyunae would buy the groceries and cook, also she'd clean and tidy up the house so Auntie never had to lift a finger when she was home. Although Mrs. Lee felt guilty, she saw how much effort and pride Hyunae had in doing these things for the family, therefore she never interjected Hyunae's kind actions.

 

It was dark and Hyunae had gotten permission to leave early. She walked into the house unable to hide her exhaustion as her ponytail was loose with a few whisps falling down limply around her face. She walked into the kitchen not surprised to see Auntie sitting with a cake and candles for her. She smiled sadly. Seeing Auntie wait up for her and remembering her birthday let alone wanting to celebrate made her heart constrict, yet she was grateful and it mader her love her Auntie all the more. She sat down tired as she was and they looked through old photobooks while chatting and eating cake as they did every year on Hyunae's birthday.

She started thinking about Eunhyuk and how cold he has been to her all these years. She couldn't and didn't blame him one bit, nor have any negative feelings toward him. She'd hate her too if she were in his situation. As cold as he was toward her, she saw his efforts to be a good son to his mom. He loved her so much and it showed how protective he was of her. When Hyunae would come home on normal days, she would see them eating dinner together happily. His eyes exuded care and tenderness as they laughed and joked together. Once he realized her presence however, his eyes would ice over and tension could be read throughout his whole body. Times like that her heart clenched knowing that she had ruined yet another bit of his happiness. Mostly all of the days she would make excuses that she'd already eaten or wasnt hungry and just go downstairs to study. When she got so hungry that she couldn't handle it anymore,s he'd have a late night ramen without disturbing anyone in their sleep. Hyunae's birthday was one of the rare few days in the year that Eunhyuk wouldn't come out to eat. Knowing that exams were tomorrow, Hyunae couldn't help but be a little concerned that he was going to study and sleep on an empty stomach. She heated up dinner and brought a tray up to his room. Normally she would know not to approach him unneccessarily, but she mustered up her courage today. It was her birthday after all. She knocked on his door and slowly opened it when she heard no reply. She saw his back facing her, focused and determined.

"E-eunhyuk-shi, you should eat..." she inquired barely over a whisper. His back tensed realizing she was there. He ignored her as usual until she could clearly hear his stomach growl. He heard her sigh in defeat as she hesitantly took a few steps closer to his desk.

"I-I know you have all the reason to feel anything and everything negative toward me possible," she said with a quavering voice,

"but ...for the sake of your mom, so she wont worry, just eat a little something okay? Um..you'll have more energy for your exams... I know you're hungry...i'll just set it here for you"

She set the tray down on his desk and quietly left. He glanced at her with the corner of his eye as she walked out of his room. A big part of him knew it was petty to hold a grudge against her for all these years, but because of her, he had lost one of the most important people in his life. She could never repay him for that loss. He sighed as he picked up some chopsticks and at every last bit of the food she had brought him. He sat there pondering.

Today's her birthday. She' went to school and worked all day, she'll probably have to stay up all night again studying for exams tomorrow. Appa...you don't resent me for not being able to forgive her right? I just miss you..that's all. I don't have the strength yet to forget..

He shook out of his thoughts and re-focused on his studies.

Maybe one day...just maybe

Hyunae took a shower and hit the books hard. She had no choice but to pull an all nighter, but by now she was used to them. Especially on exam days.

Umma, Appa, Uncle, You guys are watching over me right? Thank you guys for letting me live my life well all these years...i miss you all and wish you could be by my side once again. Please watch over Auntie and give her all the happiness she deserves, also Eunhyuk. He is a good and caring person, help him do well on exams this time around. Lastly please help me overcome these obstacles. I must live a good life in place of the three of you who lost your chance so early on.