Why?

Waiting for Our Tomorrow

 

 

The next few days Eunhyuk barely saw Hyunae. She'd leave earlier and come home later than him everyday as usual, never forgetting to cook the meals. Mrs. Lee had to go back to Busan to take care of her mom. Every year around this time, when it started getting colder, Mrs. Lee would go back to Busan for a few weeks leaving Eunhyuk and Hyunae to fend for themselves. Even though she was gone, Hyunae wouldn't stop cooking and doing the usual chores around the house even if it was just for Eunhyuk. Today however, she came home to see the food on the table untouched.

Is he home?..Maybe he's not hungry... I thought he liked this dish?

Questions ran through her mind as she subconsciously went upstairs to check on him. She didn't have to go far before she saw a weak looking Eunhyuk making his way to his room, with one hand on the wall for support while dragging his feet. His hand barely grazed the doorknob before she saw his body on the verge of collapsing. She gasped,

"Eunhyuk-shi!" She reached for his arm quick enough to stop him from  his fall as she wrapped it around her neck. She walked him into the room and helped him to his bed. She panicked when she saw his pale face and lips. He was sweating while his breathing was ragged.

He must be sick from the day in the rain.

She mentally slapped herself for not realizing it earlier that he would get sick. Eunhyuk had always had a poor immune system ever since he was younger. She put a cooling cloth on his head and pulled the blankets warmly over him. Rushing downstairs, she hurriedly made porridge and got him a glass of orange juice. Rummaging through the medicine cabinet she managed to find pills for him and quickly placed everything on a tray to bring up to him. While she was bringing the bowl of porridge to place on the tray, she managed to slip falling forward spilling the porridge on the floor and her arm in the process. She hissed in pain as the boiling hot substance hit her skin. Frantically she cleaned up the floor and got another bowl, this time being extra careful as not to slip. She ran her arm under cold water to ease the pain, but by now her arm was already red and stinging from the burn. She wrapped it in a damp cloth, ignoring the pain, and made her way up to Eunhyuks room. She felt his forehead.

At least his temperature isnt rising...but he needs to eat.

Finding all the courage within her, she gently shook him awake, ushering him to sit up. He was too weak to protest or even register what was going on. His head spun a mile a minute before he felt warm porridge being fed to him. He closed his eyes and ate slowly as Hyunae tried to make him eat at least half of the bowl. She stopped when he wouldn't open his mouth for anymore food. She felt his forehead. Still burning. She grabbed the pills and held them in front of his mouth.

"C'mon, open up Eunhyuk-shi, you have to take these to get better."

He slightly parted his mouth allowing her to gently place the pills in his mouth. She immediately brought the orange juice up to his lips as he sipped it slowly, swallowing his pills.

"I'll be back, i'll get you a new cloth"

He half opened his eyes seeing Hyunae hurriedly running into the bathroom to get him a new cloth.

After I practically told her to go die...she's still trying to take care of me. Pabo...wont you ever learn.

She returned carefully changing the cloth on his forehead. She stood there staring at him, as if pondering if there was anything else she should do.

"G-gwenchena..eunhyuk-shi? Should i do anything else? Do you want me to call Auntie?"

He shook his head slowly, keeping his eyes closed.

"What am I five? No, I just need to sleep" He said a little breathless.

"Arasso...i'll sleep in the living room so if you need anything just call for me.." Hyunae said with worry for him still in her voice.

Just as she was going to reach the door he called out to her,

"Hyunae-shi..."

"Hm?" She turned around rushing back to his side

"What is it?"

"Wae...why do you do this...?"

Hyunae was caught off gaurd, how was she to explain her intentions to him without misunderstandings?

She sighed and pulled his desk chair beside his bed.

"Eunhyuk-shi...You've reminded me time and time again the hatred you have toward me. But hate...is like love in a sense that it can also be one sided. Just because of your resentment toward me doesn't give me any reason to resent you back. Forgiveness...is something I can never ask of you Eunhyuk-shi. For I know that even if a miracle happened and you did forgive me one day, it wouldn't change the past. Even so, my parents....loved you like their own son, Uncle used to tell me that in his eyes, you were the most precious gem. You mean the world and more to auntie. So by default, believe it or not, i care about you too. I know smart and talented you are, how hard you work, and how much you love Auntie. Just because you don't give me the time of day doesn't make you a bad person that i should hate. Inevitably your happiness, is Auntie's happiness. And when both of you are happy, that is one of the few times I feel as if my life sees a little bit of light. Don't forget that I've known you since we've been in diapers. You have a big heart Eunhyuk-shi. Thats why its so hard for you to forgive me. You'd do anything for Auntie to smile. You've had to grow up without a father figure, and at such a young age you've had to step up and be the man of the house. You deserve so much more than you get, and I'd do anything to give it all to you..."

She looked down and fiddled with her fingers. She heard steady breathing from Eunhyuk. Looking up she realized he was probably sleeping. Careful not to wake him up she dimmed the lights and felt his forehead one more time.

His temperature seems to be dropping a little.

She smiled to herself and tip toed out of the room. Eunhyuk opened his eyes and stared at his now empty room.

That girl...is really something. I'm sorry Hyunae-shi...my heart's still not willing to accept your good intentions. 

He cursed himself for allowing her words to sink in. Normally if she would have talked to him, he could easily tune her out or not believe her words. But today...she seemed to have hit a nerve. For a second he wanted to tell her to forget about it and that everything was okay. That thought vanished when he heard her sympathize for him for growing up without a father.

I dont need your sympathy...i get enough of that on my own.

He had to admit he was feeling a lot better after her care as he drifted off into a much needed slumber. Hyunae slept on the couch in the living room, subconsciously waking up every few hours to check up on Eunhyuk, getting more blankets or a new damp towel. The question he'd ask her earlier was one she'd find her asking herself all the time. But her answer never seemed as close to complete as it was when she actually was talking to Eunhyuk. Granted he fell asleep, but at least it's off her chest now. Despite the loneliness that envelops her everyday, it made her feel good knowing that he at least allows her to do whatever she wants for them without any objections.

 

Still trying to get more subscribers and readers! If you like it let me know! I'd appreciate recommendations to this story, I want to know if the different style is a positive or negative thing for readers (: