Help..

Waiting for Our Tomorrow

Music's the reason why, I know time still exists.

 

Hyunae worked dilligently performing odd jobs here and there like going to buy lunch or get coffee. For the second half of the day she got to work in the editing room and was allowed to actually edit half a session by herself under the watchful eye of the photographer.

"You've got a real eye and talent for this Hyunae, are you thinking about making it a profession?"

She smiled, with her eyes fixed on the screen.

"Its one of my most precious dreams..."

He pondered for a moment.

"After you graduate, we might be able to make that happen"

The photographer said thoughtfully. Hyunae looked up at him with hopeful eyes

"Do you really mean that?"

He put an encouraging hand on her shoulder

"Keep showing us that you're a hard worker as well as your oustanding artistic talents, and I can assure you your efforts will pay off."

Her hope faded almost instantly

"But...the most well known photographers out there go to school for years to master this career and take tons of art classes not just photography...I only go based off of instinct, how am I going to outcompete everyone else?"

"Passion reflects it's work over experience any day Hyunae... remember that."

He smiled and walked away leaving her alone to finish the rest of her photos to her own liking. Once she finished at the company she made her way to the restaurant to work a night shift. Her mind kept thinking about what the photographer told her earlier that day.

What would Umma and Appa think about me becoming a photographer?...would they be proud of me?

She suddenly thought of Eunhyuk and how he was doing. Her mind contemplated back and forth on whether to call home and check up on him. Part of her was scared since she never calls him, part of her didnt want to insult him by checking up on him, but a bigger part of her just wanted to hear his voice and make sure he was okay. In order to leave herself some piece of mind she took her phone out of her pocket and quickly dialed the number before she changed her mind. After a few rings,

E: Yobosaeyo?

H: ....

E: Yobosaeyo?

H: *clears throat* Um its me.

Eunhyuk was surprised to hear her voice on the other line. They've never spoken to each other via phone. There was never a reason for him to want to interact with her let alone speak to her on the phone, even for little things.

H: How are you feeling?

She tried not to sound nervous or worried asking him.

E: I already told you this morning I was fine...

He regretted the moment he said it how harsh his tone of voice was. Hyunae was a little taken back, but not surprised to his reaction.

H: Ah..I see. Um well...auntie actually called me to check up on you so yeah. S-she wanted to make sure you've eaten and are drinking your medicine.

Eunhyuk knew she was lying, he had just gotten off the phone with his mom before she called. He was actually in the process of eating the dinner Hyunae made for him earlier in the day and was planning on taking his medicine then getting some fresh air after. He rolled his eyes at her blatant lie, but decided to play along anyways.

E: Yeah I'm doing all that right now, you don't have to worry.

H: That's good...um...take care then Eunhyuk-shi, i'll be home later tonight.

E: Hows your hand?

He blurted out before she could hang up. They were both equally surprised as to his sudden concern. He slapped himself on the forehead cursing himself.

what the hell? he thought to himself.

On the other line she looked down at her bandaged hand, rotating it a bit.

H: Its fine thanks, just some minor burns...I should let you go though I just got to work. let me know if you need anything, bye.

She quickly hung up before he could sense her nervousness. He just stared at the phone for awhile after they had hung up.

You call that "minor" burns...? Stubborn idiot....

After taking his medicine he changed into jeans, a white v-neck t-shirt, and a black zip up hoodie. Putting on his sneakers he grabbed his house keys and made his way out the door. The moment he walked out the door he took a big breath, filling his lungs with the fresh air that he'd been missing these past few days. He stuck his earphones and drowned out his surroundings with his music. He walked aimlessly, enjoying the fresh autumn breeze. Finding a park he sat down on a bench, observing the happy families playing and laughing, subconsciously he smiled. He could almost feel their happiness. He was once there.

Flashback

The two families decided to get together and take their kids to the park to play. The weather was brisk, yet sunny, perfect weather for a picnic. Eunhyuk was running around playing soccer with his dad and Hyunae's dad while Hyunae sat and watched happily while eating.

"Appa Hwaiting! Uncle Hwaiting! Eunhyukie Hwaiting!" She laughed happily watching them all scatter around for the ball. The two moms were setting up the food and gossiping as usual. It was a perfect kodak moment, filled with love, laughter, and happiness. The two moms called everyone over for a break while handing them each a slice of water melon. As Eunhyuk was on his way to sit on his appas lap, he tripped over his shoe lace and dropped his slice of melon in the grass. His knee was a little scraped and his tasty treat was covered in dirt. Tears threatened to escaped his eyes until a little hand was held in front of him. It no other than Hyunae. She helped him up and blew on his knee a little clumsily, but the adults laughed at her effort.

"Here take mine"

She said cheerfully as she handed him her watermelon slice.

"Gomawo.."

She grabbed his hand and walked over to the adults so they could both situate themselves one of their parents laps. Not noticing that their hands were still holding on to eachother, Hyunae went back to playing with her doll while Eunhyuk ate his watermelon happily....well more like devoured it. Not wanting to miss the chance, Mrs. Lee grabbed the camera to get a snapshot of the adorable scene. The kids were in their own world while the adults were in the back making funny faces and v-signs.

End of flashback

Times like those were the happiest all of them had ever been. He had never been able to feel the same happiness after the night of the accident. He pulled out his wallet revealing the picture taken from that day. Out of spite, he had placed a black piece of tape covering Hyunae in the picture a few years back. Despite his occasional fits of jealousy over her when they were younger, he considered one of his best friends as a child. He acted mean to her sometimes, but she would always be the first to cheer him up, always showing her cute eye smile or doing something ridiculous to make him laugh. He chuckled and shook his head lightly at the memories.

I guess some things never change. She's still here always trying to pick me up after i've fallen, no matter how mean i am to her.

His smile faded as his thought came back to the present. Everything's changed. His heart was now filled with pain and hatred. He also noticed more than he cared to admit that the cheerfullness once found in Hyunae's eyes clouded over year by year until her sparkle eventually faded away. Although she would put on a facade and smile cheerfully in front of his mom, her smiles never reached her eyes anymore. His mom had to raise him by herself, and also take in Hyunae. They weren't as well off with only one income. So he worked harder in school, so his mom wouldn't have to worry about anything. He strived to always be within the top 3 of his class. Although it was tiring, it could assure him scholarships to college. Hyunae worked equally as hard as him in school, allowing them both to receive scholarships to the academy that they were attending right now. Mrs. Lee in turn, had two less tuitions to worry about. But this doubled the pressure for them to excel in school. Maintaining scholarships wasn't just about good grades and high class ranks. They had to out volunteer, out smart, and out talent a majority of the school in order to keep their scholarship. Hyunae was apart of the photography club for school related things like year book and poster photos. Although she was shy, her talents made her one of the principle members by default. Eunhyuk loved dancing, so naturally he joined the music department. But he only worked behind the scenes, either composing or choreographing. They both worked in the tutoring center every other week as well. He snapped out of his thoughts as he felt a tug at his sleeve. He looked over to see a little boy, no older than 3 he thought, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

"Annyeong, whats wrong little man?" Eunhyuk asked with concern.

"Hyung, I cant find my parents.." The little boy said in between short breaths from crying. Eunhyuk wiped away the boys tears with his thumbs and smiled comfortingly.

"Come on, hyung will help you find them, hm?" He took the boys small hands into his as the little boy nodded. Scanning the perimeter of the park Eunhyuk searched for any sign of worried looking parents. He spotted a man and woman almost instantly, about mid 30's, eyes scanning frantically. Their faces were pale with worry as the screamed for the little boy. Eunhyuk scooped the boy up in his arms and jogged toward the couple.

"Excuse me Auntie, is this little guy your son?"

"Omo! Yes, how'd you find him! Come to umma sweetie!" She held out her arms and embraced the little boy. His father came running over shortly after, clearly relieved to see his family was okay.

"Thank you so much, really." The couple looked at Eunhyuk kindly. He smiled and shook his head,

"It was my pleasure, bye bye. Annyeong"  He said as he bowed to the couple and waved at the little boy. Stuffing his hands into his pockets he headed back toward the bench. He sat down plugging his ear phones in once again, leaning his head back  with his eyes closed, trying to embrace this moment for as long as he could. Where his heart didn't hurt as much, and his mind was clear of worries. Opening his eyes, he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. Night was approaching as the sun started getting a little lower, and it got a bit chillier. The people in the park were now starting to leave making it more quiet and empty.

 

Sorry for not updating these past few days! Been super busy! I'll try to post at least one more before the end of the night! (: Let me know what you think! Sorry the story isn't moving as fast, it will progress i promise!