Chapter 11

Waiting for Our Tomorrow

“Don’t think anything of this…it doesn’t change how I feel about you,” he said coldly.

She nodded slowly, still grateful nonetheless for what he’s done for her. She should’ve known that Eunhyuk was too smart to be caught off guard for long. It was only a matter of time until he went back to his old self.  Despite what he just said, she couldn’t help but notice a difference in his voice and the look in his eyes. She wasn’t one to jump to conclusions based off of petty details, but with Eunhyuk, every subtle detail can mean something significant. Once he finished with her hand, Eunhyuk left for his room without a word leaving Hyunae alone finishing up her ramen. As she washed the dishes she noticed the rain starting to fall harder. It was already midnight and a storm was definitely coming their way. Before going downstairs she made sure all the windows were locked and secure. She contemplated on whether to do one last check up on Eunhyuk, but decided against it. As she made her way downstairs, the sound of thunder pounded at her eardrums. She tried to drown it out as much as she could but the flashes of lightning haunted her. She crawled into bed and shut her eyes tight, praying to be able to sleep through the storm. The moment she closed her eyes, she could see flashing lights and the incident playing over and over again, each time seeing the details more vividly. She saw what she feared the most, what she had seen everytime she’d have nightmares about the incident. She saw the accident from an outside point of view, seeing clearly how everyone was killed that night. Worse of all, the reason she was able to see everything from a frontal view, was because she was the one in the drivers seat that crashed into them. It was the nightmare that made her heart want to stop beating. She screamed as she lost control knowing that in mere seconds she will have caused the death of three people she loved. She had always thought this nightmare was a metaphor for her being the reason of the accident that night. Why else would she have the same nightmare over and over again about her driving the truck that crashed into them? She screamed in agony as the nightmare seemed more vivid than usual tonight. She really felt as if she was there and could feel the impact of the crash.

Eunhyuk was laying on his bed thinking. Turning over to face the ceiling, his mind ran through the events that happened these past few days.

Maybe the turning point has come…

The sound of booming thunder snapped him out of his thoughts and brought him back to the night of the incident. He clenched his hands to his bed sheets trying to erase the memories from coming into his head, but to no avail, his ears could only hear screams from that night. He his best to ignore the sounds his head was tricking him into hearing, but the screams continued.

Wait a minute…those screams are coming from downstairs.

He threw off his bed sheets and ran downstairs in a heartbeat. Throwing open the door to Hyunae’s room, he found her in the furthest corner of the room on her bed. Her knees were drawn closely to her chest while her hands where covering her ears. He walked closer to her slowly sitting on the edge of the bed. He could see now that her eyes were shut tight and she was sobbing. Her breaths were uneven and beads of sweat were noticeable on her forehead.

“umma..appa..uncle…mian—mianhe…don’t go…take me instead….*sobs* Eunhyuk-shii..don’t hate me…I didn’t mean to”

She chanted to herself, between her breaths. Her knuckles were turning white at her attempt to drown out everything in the outside world. Eunhyuk sat there and stared at her for a moment. Throughout the years she’s put on such an act. He’s never seen her shed another tear in front of him, leading him to believe that she had no conscience. Seeing her so vulnerable, it was as if she was going to break at any moment. He noticed her face was turning pale. Reaching his hand out hesitantly, he gently grasped her arm. She looked up to him slowly with tears still running down her face.

“E-eunhyuk-shii..”

She said a little breathless and surprised. He slowly moved closer to her pulling her into his embrace. She tensed within his hold for a few seconds, but then relaxed burying her head into his chest. He was warm and comforting. Eunhyuk rested his chin on her head letting her cry quietly into his arms. With each sound of thunder he felt her body rigid beneath him. He subconsciously held her tighter, protectively encircling his arms around her. He could hear the harsh winds whipping the trees back and forth outside.

This is gonna last awhile

He thought, still holding Hyunae. Her crying calmed down to little sniffles here and there, but Eunhyuk could still sense her fear as the storm got more severe. The lights flickered a bit, then turned off in an instant. Power outage…this can’t be good. He loosened his arms from Hyunae to go see if there were candles or a flashlight nearby. She didn’t object to him leaving, although she also couldn’t ignore the emptiness she felt once she was no longer in his arms. Eunhyuk inched his way off the bed, turning around to see if Hyunae was still okay. Her knees were still against her chest, but she looked calmer now. She wiped the traces of tears away from her face, but her eyes were slightly swollen.  Her hair swept down in front of her shoulders. Running her hand through her hair, she flinched as another flash of lightning lit up her room. Eunhyuk came back moments later with a single candle that probably wouldn’t last that long.

“This is all I could find,” he said as he set the candle on the desk by Hyunae’s bed. She nodded, her eyes transfixed out the window, flinching a bit every time she’d hear thunder or see lightning. Eunhyuk observed her. She seemed like she had nothing left within her. Her eyes were empty spools of brown, tired, and broken. Hyunae didn’t expect Eunhyuk to stay any longer, but much to her dismay he made his way beside her again. She looked over at him unable to read his expression in the dark. No words were said between the two as Eunhyuk once again pulled her into his arms. He took an object out of his pocket, fiddling with it in the dark. She felt Eunhyuk insert an earphone into her ear, putting the other one in his ear. He his mp3 and the sound of melodic music poured out, relaxing them in an instant. He played (insert your favorite ballad here, I have too many to choose!)________ on repeat. Hyunae relaxed as she felt a wave of fatigue wash over her. She rested comfortably against Eunhyuk falling asleep to the music in her ears, and more importantly, the warmth that was surrounding her. Eunhyuk did the same, wrapping his arms more protectively around Hyunae, he too fell into a deep slumber.

 

Another update today (: One more to come I think! Comments and Subscribers would be amaazziinggggg. If you guys have criticisms or anything, i'd love to hear them. I want to try to improve as a writer as much as i can!