Hope

Living or Loving

*Six years after the plague*

 

Hurried steps sounded down the bright streets of Yienx. Bright neon signs dimmed into only blurs and flashes of light as a young man rushed by.

"Oh come on, come on, I'm going to be late. Onew will be so pissed" a now 22 years old Kibum huffed as he ran along the streets and through the building in search of his friend. He climbed the emergency stairs of a building until he reached the rooftop, were his friend waited for his arival along with a group of people.

"Key! I thought that you wouldn"t make it" an amused Onew commented as he patted the back of his friend. Key on the other hand tried to recover his breath after climbing so many stairs.

"and miss a free running, never" Key laughed starightening up. The boy started to stretch, only to stop at the sound of his name being called.

"Key!" a deep voice called over. He turned around, only to be welcomed into a tight hug.

"Minho! look at you, you've grown so much since the last time that I saw you!" Key exclaimed returning the hug.

"Hyung, the last time we saw each other was this morning" Minho laughed. Key just pulled away and looked at the boy.

"I know but still, what does your brother feeds you?" Key  questioned, a differense in height clearly visible. They both started laughing, lowering their voices when Onew came closer.

"Ok you all know the drill, last one to get to the plaza buys tomorrows lunch" Onew anounced to the small group of people. A round of cheers sounded in the night air as everyone prepared. Minho wished good luck to his hyung and walked over to where Krystal was waiting for him.

Key smiled at the couple,watching as Minho smiled brigtly and pecked the girls lips. Minho had coped with all that had happened to them this past years well, he and Onew had bought a house just a block away from Key's, Minho worked with Krystal in her parent's workshop and was ready to try for the military training, and on top he started to date Krystal. He had to hand it to the boy, he had a very strong will. 

"Ready!" Onew yelled, getting Key to focus back on the race. When the signal was given, they all started to run at full speed to gain momentum. In a certain point they all dispersed and took their own special route.

Reaching a gap between two buildings, Key allowed his body to free fall through it a few floors before reaching out to grab the railing of a balcony. His hands took an iron like grip on the railing, preventing him from continuing his fall. He hauled his body over the railing and landed of the balcony, entering the house and rushing his way to a hole in the wall. He had created that move during his first free run in Yienx, when he remembered the time that he fell through a similar gap when the mutants first arrived.

He descended through the hole and managed to get to his favorite short cut. The short cut consisted of well hidden gaps and tunels that could fit his small frame. At the end, all he had to do was squeeze his body through a small passage that led to a rooftop that granted a good view of the paza. He reached the rooftop, a snort leaving him as he caught sight of Onew's relaxed figure resting at the foot of a statue. He walked up to the edge of the building and jumped down, using the unregular edges and windows to slower his fall. Whe he reached the last window and was sure to be at a safe distance of the floor he let go, landing in a crouch and jogging his way to his friend.

"How do you do it, you never get to pay" Key panted, slowing his jog to a walk. Onew just smiled brightly.

"Well it wouldn't make sense if I loose in my own sport to my apprentice would it" Onew remarked watching his friend getting closer.

"True" Key said sitting next to his friend. 

"Plus you always get the second place, so you're not one to talk" Onew said nudging his friend's side. Key chuckled and ran the back of his plam through his forehead. Onew extended a bottle filled with water to his friend, who accepted it gratefully.

"Oh! looks like your baby bro is getting the thrid place today" Key anounced after gulpinng down the water that he had in his mouth. They both watched as a figure apeared in the rooftops.

"I wouldn't count on it just yet" Onew said pointing at the figure of a man that apeared from a basement. Key and Onew shared a look and then back at Minho.

"MINHO RUN!" they yelled in unision, succesfully getting the boy to notice the boy that was running allong the streets. The other man also grew aware of the competition and picked up the pace, as well as Minho. The man in the streets was getting the lead no matter how much Minho hurried, so the he decided to make a crazy move.

Minho pushed his body up in the air, away from the building where he was previously. When he was about to reach the  building ahead of him, he pushed away from it. This plased the boy in a safe distance from things in the walls that could hurt him. Minho ended up landing roughly in some trashcans that were just bellow him. Do to the impact, some of the trashcans ended up spilling their contains and others rolled over to the street. The man that was in the streets tried to dodge the trashcans, but failed and ended face first in the paviment. Minho just stood up and strolled over to where his brother and friend waited for him, sharing high fives when he got next to them.

"That was a deperate move Minho" Key commented pointing at the man that was getting to his feet.

"I would say that it was more of a clever move" Krystal said apearing from a building at the side of the plaza and walking up to her boyfriend, checking for any wounds.

"Clever, that  was genious!"Amber said from the alley where she apeared from.

"I'd say more like cheating" the man said limping his way up to the others.

"Oh come on Tao, don't be like that, I couldn't loose to you again" Minho reasoned, earning a glare from Tao.

"What did I missed?" said Luhan apearing from a window and jumping out.

"Tao face planting in the ground" Amber answered nonchalantly. Tao only glared harder. 

They waited until Luna and D.O apeared in the distance. After a while Sulli, Victoria and Sehun apeared. It was a hard desition, but after a very closed ending between Chen and Baekyun, it was decided that Baek would be the one paying.

After they all recovered from the run they shared some jokes and laughter. By the time that they decided to head home it was already past midnight. They all headed in diferent ways, except for Key, Onew and Minho who lived in the same direction. 

"you ready for tomorrow Key?" Onew asked his friend, giving the other a side glance.

"of course I am, I'm getting free lunch after all" Key beamed at his friend.

"you know what I mean" Onew sad, making his friend turn silent.

After they moved to Yienx, they agreed to try for the millitary training, which ended in them getting the highest scores. After all those years of service and hard working, they were now captains of their own squads. But even if they both had their own squads, Key's was the one who went to the surface the most.

"Tomorrow your squad has a mission in the surface right Key?" Onew asked, only getting a hum as an answer.

"Hyung, what will you do if you encounter one of them?" Minho asked his friend worriedly.

"I'll do what I always do, shot their insides out with my gun" Key assured the yougest. Onew nodded and stopped walking.

"Well, I guess we will see each other tomorrow" Onew said looking at his friend. They bid their good byes and watched at Key entered his house.

After closing the door, Key disposed of his shoues and jacket and dragged his body to the couch. He slumped down in the soft furniture, a tired sighe leaving bow shaped lips.

"God this " Key grumbled running a hand through his hair. Going outside the dome wasone of the things that he loved the most, but the things that roamed out there were hard to locate, and even harder to kill; and that always brought casualties among the troups, and he knew that first hand. 

"Guess there is no point in staying here" Key muttered pushing his body up. Key walked to his room, giving a last check up to his uniform. He grabbed a clean set of clothes and made his way to the bathroom. 

Once in, the boy the water. He stripped from his clothes while he waited for the water to turn warm. Once he had removed his clothe, the boy stapped in the shower, allowing the water to relax his tense muscles. He grabbed the soap and started scrubbing his body, removing the dirt and seat from it.

The boy closed his eyes and sighed once again, starting to do what he always did before a mission, hope. Hope that what happened during his veryfirst mission never  happened again. As he did that, the bou raised a hand over his shoulder, over to his back. There that feeling of scar tissue met soft finger tips, sets of claw marks tracing the young man's back from each shoulder all the way down to his lower back.

 

Yes, hope was all they could do in this new life.