Out again

Living or Loving

A field filled with dry gras and dead plants, that'a all that could be seen for miles. 

Key walked around, glancing in every direction possible; trying to recognize something as hard as he could. The sound of heavy paws thundered on the ground. Small swirls of gras and dirt danced around as a slow gentle breeze flowed around the field.

The snapping of a branch made the boy spoon around startled. His eyes were wide with fear until he recognized the beast before him. The same light brown wolf stood before him, those chocolate colored irises staring at him.

Key couldn't help but smile as he confidently strolled over to the mutant and buried his hands on the thick fur. The content rumbling from the beast made Key smile wider, until the rumble turned into angry snarls.

Key stumbled backwards creating space between himself and the creature, afraid of the sudden change in the creatures mood. As he stepped back his surroundings changed. Now he stood in the main hallway of his house. The snapping of the beasts jaws made him turn his head away in fear, his gaze landing in the mirror there. His eyes widened when he saw the reflection of another man there. 

Staring back at him was the frightened sight of the mutant boy that he met last night, the one that he assumed was the same wolf the he had met. The boy's eyes reflected pure panic as he slowly turned his head back up front. 

Key turned his head in the same direction that the boy had, only to be meet with an evil smirk in a familiar face. The Commander's face. 

The man held a gun pointed at him, loaded and ready to shoot. The man smiled wickedly before incomprehensible words left his mouth, followed by a gunshot.

Key woke up startled by the sound of loud knocks at his door. He panted a few times before calming his body with a deep breath. He covered his face with both hands and tried to ponder over his dream. His mother had thought him that if he wanted to see what was the fear that his subconscious wanted to show him, he should ponder over the nightmares and find the trigger in them. But pondering over the nightmare was hard when the loud banging on his door kept on going.

The boy pushed the covers lazily and walked up to the door, not minding how he look in the least. He probably had hairs sticking at every possible direction and his eyes most likely half lidded and with bags under them. 

He opened the door, only for Onew to storm in past him.

"What do you want" Key asked groggily scratching the back of his head, flinching as he passed too close to the wound. 

"First, I wanted to apologize, and second put on some pants please" Onew said, noticing that his friend was only waring an oversized white shirt and some dark blue boxers. Key just took some shorts that laid in a nearby chair and put them on, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a glass of water. 

"As I was saying, I wanted to say sorry for what I did yesterday, I was just stressed and worried" Onew started, Key only grimacing when he took a sip of the water, a disgusting taste filling his mouth from not brushing his teeth. 

Key walked over to the bathroom, to brush his teeth. Onew just decided to continue with his speech since it looked like this was the only attention that he was going to get from his friend.

"I was so stressed and then you came with the wolf thing again, and I didn't react in the best way" Onew said, Key finishing his brushing and walking out of the bathroom.

"Ok, anything else?" Key asked nonchalantly. Onew looked at Key skeptically.

"What, I just said that I'm sorry" Onew pointed out.

"You said it, but you don't mean it, you just want me to forget about the mutants" Key retorted. Onew just ran a hand through his face and looked at his friend.

"You aren't going to stop are you?" Onew questioned his friend. Key pretended to think about it before facing his friend.

"Nope, now if you don't have anything else to say" Key told his friend, opening the door with a smile, batting his eyelashes at his friend. Onew just sighed and disappeared though the door.

After Onew left, Key prepared something to eat. He watched some news on the tv to see if there was something interesting, but there was nothing. After eating he took a shower and looked at himself on the mirror. 

A satisfied noise left him when he looked at his reflection. He marched out of the house and down the busy streets.

Halfway through the city he bought a few snacks in case that he got hungry outside the dome. Walking those long tunnels that lead to the surface could be tiring. When he reached the door, he pushed it open, covering it with the thick bush when he was out. 

He sat on a rock waiting for any sign of the mutant, hiding behind it every time a patrol passed by. Right now he was sitting on it, eating a food bar and watching the distance in admiration. 

The snapping of a twig caused him to hide behind the rock. When the air fell silent again he heard loud sniffing. He crouched behind the rock and took a glimpse over it, spotting the light brown wolf sniffing the ground. 

Key stood up and rounded the rock, catching the sight of the wolf. The mutant wagged its tail, signaling Key that this was the friendly wolf that he had pet, and luckily the same boy that saved him last night. The creature was also holding something in its mouth, it looked a lot like a rag or clothes.

The wolf looked at Key expectantly, causing the boy to worry a bit.

"What?" He asked the creature. The wolf stared at him, jerking his head to the side a bit. Key hesitantly looked in the direction where the wolf had moved his head, looking back at the creature with a confused look. The wolf let out what sounded like a huff and turned around, looking over his shoulder to see if the human had caught the message.

"Ooooh, ok my bad" Key said, turning around quickly. 

The loud snapping of bones filled the air, followed by the sound of hurried fumbling with clothes. Footsteps neared him from behind, followed by a hand on his shoulder that caused him to jump.

"Hey! You came!" The same boy from last night exclaimed, appearing on his view. Key nodded, still trapped in the shock that this was the wolf that always saved him.

"Sorry, I didn't get your name last night" The boy that Key remembered being called Taemin beamed.

"Kibum, b-but you can call me Key" Key said quickly, stumbling on his words. The boy smiled widely and outstretched his right hand, his left one going to his back in an elegant way, the playful glint never living his eyes.

"A pleasure, the name's Taemin" Taemin cheemed. Key reached for the hand unsurely, watching as the younger looking boy reached and shook their hands, making a small bowing motion in the process.

"You're pretty civilized for a mutant" Key commented, eyes widening in panic at what he said. Taemin took no harm in the comment, chuckling and letting go of the other's hand.

"Some of us try to make the change" Taemin shrugged. 

Key couldn't believe it, he was having an actual conversation with a mutant; a very decent one in fact. 

Now that there was sunlight, he could see some of the captivating traits of the boy. He was tall, maybe a few inches taller than himself. His hair was long, flying wildly around when the wind blew strong enough, and it had the same light brown color that the wolf had. Taemin had brown eyes that always looked at him with that glint of wonder, curiosity and playfulness in them. His full lips were outstretched in a never ending smile. He was dressed rather nicely for being outside too, with blue jeans and a black v neck shirt. The only thing that were missing were his shoes, if not he could pass for a normal human any day. But that's why they had special detectors in the main tunnels, and the secret tunnels were well hidden thanks to god.

"Hey, everything ok?" Taemin asked with consern, waving a hand in front of Key's eyes. Key snapped out of the trance and nodded.

"Sorry, I just can't seem to get over the initial shock that's all" Key admited, scratching the back of his head.

"It's ok, I get it" Taemin smiled at him.

"Um... Can I... A-ask you some questions?" Key asked hopefully.

"Sure, but not here, we could be seen by the patrols" Taemin said, looking around nervously. 

The longhaired boy grabbed Key's hand, guiding him carefully over to a forest nearby that Key had never seen. 

The forest was thick and green, almost impossible to see beyond it. There was a small trail were the grass didn't grow, he guess this was some sort of road or road that the mustangs used. In the distance a small wooden cabin started to apear.

When they reached the cabin Taemin let go of Key's hand, opening the door of the house. He held the door open for the boy, motioning Key with a hand to enter. Key chuckled at the boy's attempts of formality and entered.

"You know you don't have to be so formal right" Key said, looking around at the place.

"Yeah I know, but it's entertaining to do so" Taemin shrugged walking in and closing the door behind him "anyways, fell free to get comfortable, my house is your house Key" Taemin announced, looking at Key to see if he was allowed to use the nickname. Taemin smiled kindly when he saw the other looking in shock at the house, probably not aware that some mutants lived like normal humans.

"Woah, this looks just so..." Key started, looking at the couch with animal furs.

"Human like?" Taemin finished looking at the boy while getting closer to him. Key nodded and ran a hand through the furs.

"My hyung made that, he's out hunting right now" Taemin said, sitting in the comfortable couch.

"If you don't mind my asking, what is your lifestyle" Key asked, running a hand through the wooden chairs and the dining room table.

"By that you mean what we eat don't you?" Taemin asked, eyes never leaving the man who inspected everything with curious eyes. Key nodded, watching the fire place that had a dying fire in it.

"Well, I don't know about other mutants; but at least for hyung and myself, we try living like a normal human. We eat animals that we hunt, like deers, wild cats, fish and birds" Taemin said, standing up from the couch and walking to a barrel that was in what Key assumed that was the kitchen.

Taemin took something that looked like a spoon and dipped it on the liquid, filling to cups with it. He walked beck to Key and cleared his throat, said man turned at the sound. The long haired boy offered one of the cups to the other man, Key eying the offer warily.

"Don't worry so much, it's just water. Safe to drink see" Taemin said, taking a sip from his own cup. Key took the one that was being offered to him and took a sip, the liquid refreshing his dry throat significantly. 

"We also use things that were left on the cities nearby, like clothes and utensils, it's been a while since I found something to cut my hair thought" Taemin smiled, running a hand through his long hair and watching as the other drank the water. At least he was slowly gaining the human's trust.

"Are you the only mutants that... That try to be like this" Key asked, looking at the floor unsurely.

"There aren't much mutants out there that sympathies or like to interact with humans, even less act like them; it's understandable though, they did made us what we are now" Taemin said, taking another sip from his cup and accidentally creating another interesting question in the boys mind.

"But there are others, like myself, that aren't so remorseful. In fact, I have some friends that share this same life style" Taemin said, pointing at the house when he was done.

"TAEMIN! YOU UP FOR A RUN!" The voice of a man called from outside the door.

"Speaking of which" Taemin said, putting down his cup. The young boy rushed to the door and opened it, a crowd of six men standing out there.

"I'm kind of busy now you guys" Taemin told the group, trying hard to block the entrance.

"I smell a human" a deep voice sounded, the group of people pushing past Taemin after hearing the announcement. Taemin made an exasperated sound and threw his head back in annoyance.

The small group of people stood there staring at Key, eyes squinting at him and checking him from head to toes. A man that resembled Taemin a lot, but with darker skin and shorter hair, pushed past the group. He looked at Key intently before his lips curved up in a toothy smile. 

Key raised a brow, clearly not getting the boys behavior. He watched curiously as the boy slowly turned his body to face Taemin, and walked towards him. Taemin however, looked slightly pissed at his probably friend.

"Kai, may I talk to you... In private" Taemin said to the boy who Key presumed that was called Kai. Kai smiled widely and followed after Taemin, who had already walked outside. The slightly tanned man walked out and pushed the door closed behind him. A lighter hand held the door before it closed.

"All of you, behave, and please don't brake anything" Taemin told them with a glare, a plea hidden under his tone. When the door sealed shut an uneasy feeling filled Key. 

A tall blonde man pushed past the group and stood right in front of Key. The man lowered his face and sniffed Key. This action looked weird, but since the others were mutants it made sence.

"I have seen this guy somewhere" The blonde stated with his deep raspy voice, pulling back and looking at Key's face once again.

"Yeah me too" another tall one said walking closer. The second tall one had chocolate brown hair, and big pointy ears that stuck out of the side of his head. Also the voice of this man was too deep and it didn't match his face. They inspected Key intently until two hands pushed them back.

"Wait, aren't you the captain of my cute little pamfhhm" a boy with caramel brown hair and dimpled smile started, only to get cut off by the hand of a short boy with chubby cheeks. The boy hissed something on the caramel haired boy's ear and let go of him, the man glaring in return.

"Guys, you're scaring the poor soul" a man with black hair walked up front, a kind smile playing on his lips.

Key shifting his weight from foot to foot, looking over at the door when it opened. Taemin walked back inside, followed by Kai who still had that smile on his face.

"Key, meet my friends. The tall blonde one is Kris, the one with the huge ears is Chanyeol, dimpled smile is Lay, Suho is the short one with the black hair and Xiumin is the one with the chubby cheeks" Taemin said pointing at each one so that Key could know who they were.

"And this here is Kai, my best friend and I really think that in another life he was my evil twin" Taemin said, shaking said man by the shoulders. Kai chuckled and looked at Taemin amused.

"Are you sure that I'm the evil one?" Kai asked raising a brow. Taemin pushed his friend lightly and walked next to Key.

"Guys, thins here is Kibum, you can call him Key" Key nodded and waved his hand when Taemin introduced him to his friend. 

After the introductions it was kind of awkward for a few minuts, but the grew comfortable as they started to lighten up. They chatted the rest of the day. It turns out that some mutants aren't as bad as people think they are. Key even offered them the rest of his snacks, which were devoured completely by the mutants and even by himself.

In this time that he spent with them, Key had laughed and learnt a lot. He learnt that Taemin was actually two years younger than him. Suho was something like the leader/ mom of all of Taemin's friends, including the ones that were older than him. Kris always tried to act like the leader too. Xiumin, even thought he looked small and young, was the oldest of them. Chanyeol never seemed to run out of lame jokes and laughters. Lay had a great personality, but what he said earlier made Key act a little wary of him. Somehow he knew that Key was a captain and that meant that he had been close to his team sometime before. And Kai just didn't get tired of messing with Taemin.

"Hey Tae, isn't your brother taking a little long on that hunt?" Kris asked worriedly. Taemin just shrugged from his spot next to Key on the couch.

"Nah I don't worry, he's been taking this long since almost a month now. I think the animals a running off further away" Taemin said, before stretching and standing up "but I think it's time for me to take Key back to the dome" Taemin added looking back at Key with a smile. The smile made Key feel something tingly inside that he couldn't quiet place, but he tried to ignore it and stood up. They bid their goodbyes and walked off in the direction of the dome. 

After a while they found the secret entrance to the dome, but Key got curious as to how long did the tunnel went underground before going underwater. He walked past the entrance and in the direction that he knew the tunnel went. He gasped when a beach with white sands and crystal clear waters appeared before him, right after he walked up past a small hill.

"Beautiful isn't it" Taemin smiled appearing next to him. Key nodded and looked at the distance, where the sun was starting to set. He had no idea that he actually spent a whole day out there, but for some reason every time that he was with Taemin, time just flied by.

"We can go swimming another time of you want" Taemin told him, turning around to leave. Before following the younger he looked at the shore of the beach, noticing a weird silhouette at the distance. 

It looked a lot like another mutant, with fur as dark as the night. It was curled up on the ground it's back facing him, probably resting. What caught Key's attention the most was that at the side of the creature there was what looked like the back of the head of someone. Key could't tell if it was a human or another creature or something of the sort, because the body of the larger animal covered anything else from his view.

"Key, we don't have much time before the next patrol passes" Taemin called over. Key knew that he was right, so he chose to shrug off what he just saw and walk back down the hill and over to the entrance of the tunnel.

Key stood in front of the entrance ready to go back, when Taemin spoke.

"How's your head? It looked bad when you were in the alley the other day" Taemin pointed out, an edge of the bandage around Key's head peeking out from the edge of the beanie. Key pulled the beanie out and turned his head sligtly. 

"It's a lot better, thanks for saving me by the way" Key muttered. Taemin smiled and placed a hand over the wounds tenderly.

"It was nothing. Are you coming tomorrow?" Taemin asked with hoping eyes. Key bit his lip and looked at him.

"I-I'm not sure, I have work and I don't want to bring you any trouble" Key told the other. Taemin chuckled and cupped his face.

"You're never trouble, I'll be waiting just in case, ok?" Taemin said looking at Key in the eyes. Key's cheeks grew warm with the other's hands on them.

"No, I don't want to make you wait, what if a patrol sees you" Key said, panicking at that thought. Taemin just chuckled again.

"No one will see me, I guarantee it and I will wait for you. I've been looking for you for six years now; if I need to wait, I'll wait till the end of my days for you" Taemin said lovingly, causing Key's heard to race in his chest and his face to turn red with a blush. 

Taemin smiled and leaned down a little, causing Key panicked and pull away. The younger looked a little hurt because of the action, but he knew that he was moving a little fast for the human; so he just hid his feelings.

"I'll see you latter... Maybe" Key said before opening the door and walking inside the tunnel. Before the door was completely sealed, he saw Taemin hiding the door with the thick bush and walking away.

Key closed the door and sat on the floor for a few seconds, breathing deeply and  placing a hand on his chest. His heart was beating at an insane speed.

"Come on Key, you know you can't fall in love with those creatures, even if their are the most intriguing, amazing, goofy, kind, cute... Key! Focus! You can't!" Key scolded himself, pressing his hands to his face in frustration. 

"Everything will be better tomorrow" Key breathed, standing up and starting his long way down the tunnel. He walked up to the exit of it, right between two buildings that had been locked up a while ago.

He frowned when he saw Minho and Krystal walking hand in hand this far from their houses.

"Hey you two! What ere you up to?" Key smiled at them. The couple stopped and looked at Key with wide smiles.

"Hyung! We were just out in a date" Minho informed, hugging Key. Krystal also hugged Key, but less tightly  in fear of hurting the wounded man.

"And is your brother ok with you guys being so far from the neighborhood at this hour?" Key asked knowing that it was already getting dark outside.

"Well actually.... he's out himself" Krystal told Key.

"What do you mean?" Key asked with a confused look.

"Yeah, he's been out for a while, he came back from his shift at the HQ, changed his clothes and went out" Minho said, looking at Key. Key nodded, mind going back to the figure at the beach for some reason.

"Ok thanks, I'll cover up for you two in exchange, but don't cause any trouble ok" Key warned, the couple grinning widely and running off to the movie theater that was nearby. Key shook his head with a smile and walked down the streets.

He reached his house and looked down at the corner of the street, catching sight of a hooded figure. He frowned and walked back to the sideway, heading quietly closer to the figure. He wanted to be sure that this wasn't a thug or something like that wanting to steal something from someone. 

He saw the figure pull the hood back reviling a nervous looking Onew. Key frowned at his friends face, wondering what could have him acting like this. He looked at the boy's feet and saw remains of sand and dirt on the lower part of his pants and shoes. Key's confusion turned into a suspicious smile.

"That's not neon dust my friend, what are you up to?" Key asked quietly to himself. He stayed hidden on the shadows until the man entered the house. He turned around and walked back to his house, taking his phone out and dialing his friends number and pulling it up to his ear.

"H-Hello Key?" Onew answered, sounding a little jumpy.

"Yeah, I called to say that Minho and Krystal are at my place, they will stay here a little longer" Key told him. He could swear that he heard Onew sigh in relieve and answer an ok. After that Key ended the call and entered his house. He walked over to the glass wall and looked at the ocean. While admiring the view, he sent a text message to Minho and informed him of the excuse that Key had given to Onew.

"I'm going to find out what exactly get's you so jumpy Onew, you just wait and see" Key said to the air, a knowing smile already forming on his face at the thoughts that were starting form on his face.

All he had to do was wait until he was out again.

-------
A/n:
Here's another chapter. I hope that you are all liking this story so far.

What do you think is going on? (-_^)

Please leave a comment with you thoughts about that question and what you think about the characters so far.

I also warn you, I really like to make plot twists (-_^)

Until next time, Peace out<3