Those eyes

Living or Loving

"Damn cheep alarm clocks that never work" Key grumbled on his way to meet his friends at the small cafe at the end of the street. Key decided to go in his millitary uniform since he was late and wouldn't have time to go back and change later. He spotted his friends at the place that they had agreed on and waved at them, who in response waved back at him. Baekyun for his part didn't look pleased to see him and pulled his wallet from his back pocket once again, carresing the object against his face.

"Baekyun thought that you wouldn't show up" Onew told his friend giving him a tight hug.

"and miss free lunch?! ha!" Key smiled brightly at the group.

"wait, the mission is today?! Gosh I totally forgot" Luhan said pressing his hand to his forehead, standing up to throw away the remains of his lunch.

"then go get ready soldier, we leave in half an hour" Key told him with a smile. Luhan nodded and was about to bow to his superior, but Key held one hand up and shook his head. Key wasn't too fond of those relationships were you had to bow at him for everything just because he was a superior. He only wanted to be acknowledge as a superior soldier out in the field or if it was absolutely necesary.

He stood there looking in amusement as Luhan, Tao, Amber and Sulli made their way past him and hurried to get ready.

"I don't know how you survive with that team" Onew joked when they were out of sight.

"They're a good team" Key said, turning around to see Baekyun walking back to the with a tray and a bottle filled with water.

When he handed Key his food, he excused himself to go and give a last check up at the supplies that Key had to work with. Key took a seat in one of the tables and pulled the tray closer to him, undoing the wrapper of the sandwich and taking a munch at it. While Key ate, Onew sat across the table, directly in front of Key. 

"So what is it this time?" Onew asked, hand sneaking in an attempt of getting one of Key's fries.

"Escorting supplys across the great city in the surface for the undergroun facillity" Key informed his friend when he swallowed his food, slapping Onew's hand away from his fries.

"across the city?! But that's where the mutants hide!" Onew exclaimed, only getting a hum from Key who kept eating.

"And you just agreed to it?!" Onew continued, eyes wide in shock.

"What was I supposed to do hyung? I'm a scout after all, outside the dome is were my missions take place, plus I need the money and I enjoy a little sun from time to time, being underwater all the time can be tiring" Key said leaning back in his chair, bringing the bottle of water to his lips and taking a sip. 

"Now if you excuse me my friend, I need to meet up with the convoy, I'll meet you tonight for a run if I get home early" Key told his friends, giving him the remains of his food, that were the half of his sandwich and some fries.

The young man marched up to the storage rooms, were the convoy was making it's last arrangements.

This was a small mission so the convoy consisted of four trucks, two at the begining and end of the line filled with soldiers, and the trucks with the supplies at the center. He hopped at the back of one of the trucks were his friends already waited for him, and signaled the convoy to depart.

It took almost an hour to drive all the way to one of the main tunnels that connected the dome with the dry land, and about twenty minutes for them to cross the tunnel. That without counting the checkpoints that they had to stop at. But at last here they were.

Huge iron double doors opened to reveal the dry land, allowing the trucks to exit. Key took a deep breath enjoying what used to be theirs once.

"Well, you all know what to do" Key yelled over to the soldiers, jumping out of the truck with his rifle in hand. A huge smile spread through the man's face as he stared in awe at the fields that were before the city. He started to walk next to the slow cars, his team doing the same all around the trucks. They were in charge of protecting the suplies at all cost.

The first half of the trip was calm, with the ocational movement of wild animals from the field. So far there hadn't been any mutants, and if they were, they were well hidden. Now they stood at the center of the city having a rest. Some soldiers leaned against the cars as they chatted away, while other sat at the back of them resting their tired feet. Key however, sat in a big rock appart from the group, staring at the distance in awe.

"Everything ok captain?" asked Luhan with a smile in his face.

"Yes, everything calm in this flank, what about you?"Key questioned the soldier, offering a sip of his water. The other declined the water politely and his smile dropped a little.

"Everything is quiet in my flank, and so it is at Tao's. It's almost too quiet" Luhan commented with a worried expresion. At that Key nodded and took a long gulp of water, downing it quickly.

"I'll go give a quick patroll so that everyone can be calm ok" announced Key standing up, adjusting his rifle in the process. Luhan looked even more distressed at his captain's suggestion, but didn't argue and just nodded. He knew very well how stubborn and adventurous his captain could be.

Key parted with a lot of confidence, strolling down the street and dissapearing in a building. After some minutes of cautiously checking four alleys and already entering his fifth building. So far everything was calm, not a single trace of mutants.

"Man, I'm starting to wonder if the ers went extinct" The boy muttered walking up the stairs of a building and entering one of the rooms. Suddently a foul smell assaulted his nose. He scrunched it up and walked over to the leaving room of the small apartment, following the smell.

"Ok no, they are still up and running" Key said as he covered his nose and mouth with his hand. At the floor before him, the leftover corpse of a woman was  rotting away. By the clothes he could tell that she belonged to the underground facillity, and by the state it was in, he could tell that she made the meal of a mutant a few days ago, maybe a week perhaps.

"Hello human" a deep rough voice said behind him, causing the hairs at the nape of his neck to rise. The soldier spooned around to be met with a huge man. The man had short black hair, a strong jawline, lightly tanned skin and a scar that adorned the side of his face. He ported a wide smirk that made the scar stretch in an ugly way.

Key grabbed his rifle tightly and pointed it at the man. The action seemed to anger the man who now glared at the soldier. He grabbed the soldier's gun and pushed it to the side. He took a firm grip of the rifle and started to walk forward, forcing the soldier to walk backwards. Key's back was met with a decaying wall as the cold metal of the rifle pressed against his neck. The man grinned at Key and pushed harder, causing Key to cough and the wall to break from the preassure. Key coughed more when the rifle wasn't pressed to his neck any longer, and instead felt the preasure of the rifle's strap in his back. This strap was the only thing that prevented Key from falling from a third floor through the hole that had been just created. Key looked back at the man, not showing any fear to the enemy.

"No one threatens Siwon" said the man and pressed the rifle against the boy once again, this time against his chest pushing him out of the building. When Key fell, the strap of the rifle got trapped on the boys neck, choking him as the creature still held the gun. The man who held the rifel had a wicked smile on his face that disgusted Key to his very core.nKey braught his hands up, trying to pull the strap enough for him to be able to breath, silver dots clouding his vision as he ran out of oxygen.

They say that in order to survive you need to make harsh decisions, so Kibum took his and lowered his hands over to his belt. The boy pulled out the knife that he had hidden in his belt and cut the strap, deciding that dying from the fall would be better than dying at the hands of the mutant.

A hard impact with the pavement knocked the air that was left on Key's lungs, leaving the boy gasping for air. He tried to stand up, but a sharp pain crawled up through his leg. He felt helpless so he did the only thing that he could think of and pushed his body against a wall, managing to sit up. He felt something wet roll down the side of his head and nape, consiousness slowly starting to leave the boy when the heavy thud of Siwon landing at the entrance of the alley was heard.

"A brave one eh, you'll make a tasty sanck" declared the man before starting to shift until it turned into a masive bear-like monster, sharp fangs being exposed at Key.

Kibum refused to go down that easily and pulled out his last resource, a handgun that was hidden at the back of his belt. He pulled the trigger, watching as a bullet sank in the flesh of the beast's shoulder. The mutant looked at the wound and then back at Key with fire in his eyes, a feral growl making the alley tremble.

What happened next wasn't very clear for Key, but he still could make out most details.

A figure of what looked like a wolf jumped in the bear's back, sinking its fangs at its neck. The bear roared and tried to hit the wolf with the wall behind him several times, not landing a single blow at the smaller creature. In a quick motion, the light colored wolf jumped from the bear's back and landed between the larger mutant and the human as a barrier. The wolf spat to the side a pice of skin that it had ripped off from the bear's neck. Growls and warning snarls sounding in the alley until the bear took it's leave with an annoyed huff.

All that Key could see at this point was a slowly fading blur as the wolf turned around and walked up to him. The figure of the lightly colored wolf slowly turning into that of a slender man with long hair. The last thing that Key was able to feel was a soft warm hand on his cheek and the liquid that dripped down from his head. After that everything went black.

He could still make out some noises thought, like the sound of footsteps running away, and a few minutes later distorted voices at the distance.

"He's here you guys!" "Looks like he only hit his head and got a sprained ankle thanks to god" a group of distorted voices said before he lost consciousness completely.

...

"Yeah, good thing that none of those mutants snacked on him, the wolf looked scary though" when he heard about the wolf something urged him to stand up, to at least open his eyes. He pushed his body up with his arms, only to be genty pushed back down. He opened his eyes slowly and looked around. It was nightime, and his team sat around a small campfire that they had built.

"Where am I? What happened?" He croaked out, a hand reaching for the back of his head, only to flinch and pulled his hand away. 

"We prepared a camp, we already made the trade with the other town, but the night caught us. We will continue our way in the morning" Luhan explained changing the bandage in Key's head with Sulli's help.

"As to what happened, we aren't so sure, some minutes after your departure we started to get worried, especially when we heard a gun shot and you didn't come back. Then we saw a light colored wolf coming out of an alley and running away. We followed it, but lost it in a building, so we just walked back to see what the wolf was doing in the alley. There we found you slumped against a wall with blood covering the back of your neck and uniform" said Tao walking up to them with some food for Key. Luhan tied the bandage on Key's head and slowly helped him to sit up.

"Come on, eat something" cooed Amber, taking the food from Tao's hands and giving it to Key. After they all had something to eat, they decided to have some rest before going back. But Key couldn't fall asleep, as the sound of light footsteps sounded at the other side of the truck's barricade.

He stratched his hands and grabbed a knife that was close to him. He stood up with wobbly legs and pushed his body past the barricade, using the trucks as support. He tried to see beyond the darkness, but the light from the fire that slipped past the trucks only allowed him to see a few feet past his own nose.

A deep rumble made his being tremble as a black wolf walke from the darkness. This mutant also seemed familiar, but he couldn't recall from were. The creature displayed it's fangs and snarled at the boy in a warning. Key responded raising the knife in case that the wolf would attack him.

From the side of the black wolf, another wolf apeared, this one a light brown color. The second wolf was also smaller, and it positioned it's self between the human and the black animal.The larger wolf seemed to calm at the other's behaviour and sat down, allowing the brown wolf to turn around calmly to face the human.

Key should have been terrified at this, but he wasn't. Instead he recognized the wolf the moment he saw it's eyes. Those chocolate brown eyes were the same eyes of the wolf that saved him six years ago, only that this wolf had grown with the years, and he dared to guess that this was the wolf that saved him earlier at the alley.

Even thought that Key knew that this was the wolf from six years ago, he still wasn't at ease. He held the knife high in the air, even though that he knew that the threat irked the black wolf that sat quietly. The brown wolf eyed the knife and as if sensing that Key wouldn't harm him with it, the animal wagged it's tail lightly. Key rised an eyebrow at the wolf's behaviour and lowered his knife, the wolf perking up it's ears in interest. Key lowered his knife until it hit the floor, this earning another wag of tail from the wolf. The young soldier couldn't help it and extended his arms, both animals looking at it. 

Key tought that he would have to bid goodbye to his hands and closed his eyes, only to have them snapped open at the feeling of something warm and soft in his hand. When he looked at his hand, the wolf hand leanined its head in it and allowed the human to pet his head. Key smiled and scrattched the wolf's head, earning a content rumble from its throat.

"Key? Key where are you?" from the camp, Ambers worried voice called over his name. Key's eyes widened and met with the worried stare of the wolf.

"Go shoo, shoo, go and hide" Key whispered to the wolf, a wave of panic filling his body. Understanding the soldier, the black wolf rushed up to them and pushed the younger wolf over to the darkness. The brown wolf gave a quick at Key's hand before rushing to the darkness of the night behind the larger mutant. Key stared at his hand for a moment before heading back.

"Over here" Key called, pushing past the cars.

"Oh ok, well we are heading back to the dome, let's go" Amber told her friend, helping him to the back of a truck soon after. Before the trucks rushed far away from the place where they had camped just a few moments ago, Key looked back just in time to see the two wolves standing next to what was left of the dying fire.

After that encounter, something inside of Key changed and a smlie formed on his face for the rest of the ride back home.

Key was sure that those eyes would change everything forever.

----

A/N:

Well I hope that you are enjoying this story, please comment and leave me your opinions. 

until the next time, peace out ;)