Death

Living or Loving

                                                                              

 

 

 

After leaving Taemin outside of the dome Kibum returned home and went to bed after a shower. The human treated his bruised lip in the morning after a night of good sleep and spent his day relaxing and preparing for his mission.

Night fall came sooner that what Key would have liked it. With a small sigh Key nodded and tucked in the scarf around his neck and arranged it with his uniform. He took his cap from the kitchen table and put it on before stepping out of his house.

He shivered and saw his breath in a cloud of mist in front of his face.

“Damn temperature regulators” Kibum cursed as he rubbed his arms lightly and walked towards one of the main exits where the teams of soldiers waited for the hunt they were about to have.

 The human knew that this would be a long night outside.

-

An hour or had passed since night fall and Onew wasn’t home yet again. Minho was getting even more worried as the days passed. He wasn’t stupid, he had noticed his friends disappearing every day, and now that Onew was lost as well, the gears of his head were in overdrive.

“Come on, where are you Jinki?” Minho muttered as he checked another place where he knew Jinki used to hang out with Kibum and once again came out empty handed. He glance around the city wondering where else he could look for his brother, when his eyes found the imposing tower of the military police headquarters.

Minho stared at the neon lighted building before making his way down the roads towards it. He shivered lightly as the night had gotten very chilly. His current job was at the temperature regulation plant while his application for the military police was processed. He cursed at the weather reporters that told them to lower the temperatures for this night, his fingertips getting lightly numbed by the cold.

He entered the main reception area and looked around for a way to sneak in to the area where Onew would normally be assigned while he was free of missions. He silently followed a pair of guards and managed to slip past the first pair of doors. He kept walking and sneaking his way through the hallways, avoiding the cameras and taking the chances when a soldier opened a door with his ID.

When turning on a corner, Minho had to be quick and hide just in time as some guard passed by laughing. He was about to reach the room that held the security cameras of the exterior of the dome, and where Onew could possibly be, when the conversation of a group of soldiers in a room nearby caught his ear.

“Should we be talking about that in here?” One of the soldiers asked to the other.

“Who cares, soon we will be at the top if this works. Those traitors and the mutants will soon have what they deserve” The other answered back. Minho recognized those voices. They belonged to two members of the BTS squad, a squad that had also lost some of its members lately.

“I know… but what if they come for us after this” the unsure one asked, Minho knew him as Jin.

“Hey hey, nothing bad will happen to us, nor our comrades that are still with us ok, we haven’t done anything bad” their leader Rap Monster, that name having been given to him after a night party where he threw the best rap battle ever, answered back to his companion.

Minho gulped thickly, he shouldn’t be listening to this. He quietly got closer to the door and glanced inside. Rap Monster was patting his friend’s shoulders trying to reassure him.

“They didn’t do anything wrong either” Jin mumbled gulping thickly and looking down.

“Jin you know what they did, V had been disappearing off to god knows where, then we learnt that he was visiting the outside, seeing one of those monsters, and Jimin knew it, he was hiding V, covering up for him…. If the Commander G- Dragon lets it slip, more and more people will think that’s ok” Rap monster tried to make the other think about that. Jin sighed and looked up.

“I still don’t see the crime… what will they do to them?” Jin said looking at his leader in the eyes, he looked scared. Rap Monster sighed and nodded in surrender. He stepped back and grabbed a bottle of water from the mini-fridge in that room. That room appeared to be a rest area for soldiers. The man looked at the other and took a deep breath.

“After today the soldiers that are out there won’t come back, I heard the commander talking to someone else, he sent a kill order…. I don’t know if… they will be there… they may be traitors, but V and Jimin are still my friends… I hope they don’t die tonight” Rap Monster finished in a mere whisper. The other soldier looked at him and hugged him close.

“Me too” He mumbled into the hug.

Minho was paralyzed, what had he just heard. He had to do something, he needed to help. But how? He didn’t knew what to do, he was so scared right now. This wasn’t real, this couldn’t be.

“Minho?” A voice asked from behind him making him take a sharp intake of air. A hand wrapped around his arm and pulled him back. He was met face to face with D.O and Baekhyun, good friends of his brother, Kibum and himself.

“What are you doing here?” Baekhyun asked looking t Minho worriedly, he looked pale and terrified.

“T-they will” Minho stuttered not able to form any coherent thought. His mind was unable to grasp what was going on. D.O looked at Baekhyun and then at Minho.

“Come on Minho” He said and led the way down a few hallways to another resting area that was empty. He locked the door and turned to look at Minho.

“Now Minho, deep breaths, what did you heard?” D.O tried again, siting their friend on one of the chairs. Baekhyun sat down across the table looking at Minho, removing his cap and ruffling his hair.

“They will kill them” Minho managed to whisper, looking at the pair through the bangs that fell over his eyes and stuck on his skin because of the thin layer of sweat the recent events made appear on his skin.

“What?” Baekhyun asked, any hint of amusement or joke leaving his face. D.O had a similar shocked and distressed look on his face, both men nearing Minho.

“What exactly did you eavesdropped Minho?” D.O asked crouching to be at Minho’s eye level. Minho looked at Kyungsoo, hesitating before his lips.

“They mentioned something about the commander sending a kill or something… I-I don’t know what that implies but I am pretty s-sure that…. T-this means… they will send someone to kill the soldiers that are out there… I-I know Key went there, and I d-don’t know where Onew is… I’m scared for them.” Minho gulped rubbing his hands together. D.O cursed and looked at Baekhyun. Baekhyun cursed and slammed his hands on the table in frustration, making Minho jump on his seat.

“I thought I had it! I thought we had the advantage! They had this planned all along! And we walked into it!” Baekhyun barked to himself in frustration slamming his hands against the table again.

“Baekhyun, you know what this means” D.O said walking to him, holding his hands to stop him from making any more noise.

“Yeah, that we found Tao and the others, and none of this will end well if we sit back and watch” Baekhyun said taking a deep breath and letting it out through the nose with a loud sound.

“Exactly, many will die, we need to do something now” D.O told Baekhyun letting go of his hands.

“Yeah… but we can’t leave the dome, they’ll notice…” Baekhyun rubbed his chin thinking of what they could do.

“W-wait… leave?... where” Minho asked getting confuse by the type of conversation his friends were having. He felt as if he had been missing of something big, which he obviously had been.

Kyungsoo stopped for a moment and lifted a finger for a moment, coming up with an idea.

“You’re right, we aren’t allowed to leave…. But… he can” D.O said, directing his finger to point at Minho. Minho blinked and gulped.

“M-me? Leave where” Minho questioned still lost, his eyes going from one man to the other in the search for an answer. Baekhyun stopped his pacing for a moment and looked at Minho in contemplation. The short man huffed since that was their only apparent escape and nodded nearing Minho.

“Listen Minho…. We need you to do something, something very important, deadly even, we promise we will explain everything… but we need your help… if you don’t want to do it for us… then do it for your brother and Kibum” Baekhyun said, placing his hand on Minho’s shoulder and looking at him pleadingly.

Minho gulped and looked at Baekhyun’s eyes uneasily. He wasn’t sure what he was being asked, but with what they said he knew it wasn’t anything good. He contemplated his options, but in his head all he wanted was to save his friends. With a deep breathe the taller nodded at Baekhyun.

“I don’t know what you’re asking, and I am sure I probably won’t like it… but I’ll do anything for my brothers, tell me what should I do” Minho said, closing his hands into fists in anticipation. D.O and Baekhyun shared one last look before nodding at each other and looking at Minho. Baekhyun reached over his head and pulled out a silver pendant that had paw print and a small dog whistle in it.

“Listen and listen will Minho ok, you will go out of the tower and head home ok, two blocks before you reach your neighborhood you will turn left and take a dark alley there is, make sure it has wooden planks on the floor at the ok. You will move the planks and go down the sewer, you will reach a tunnel Minho, now this is very important, life or death matter ok. Make sure no one follows you ok. Follow that tunnel and you will find a door, that place is not guarded, it will give you a clear shot at getting to the surface ok, once out there walk a few miles away from the door before blowing this ok…. They will be able to hear it, they will come for you and you will tell them what they ask and what you told me ok, only like that they won’t hurt you, if things get a little bit out of hand tell them who you are, and metion that you are Jinki’s brother.” Baekhyun instructed, telling every detail as clear as he could for the other to understand. Minho could only stare at the man before him wide eyed.

“Y-You have been to the outside? W-without permission?” Minho asked bewildered.

“Yes we all have, even your brother, now do you understand, can we trust you?” Kyungsoo said with serious and even threatening eyes.

“Come on, what you take me for, I will do as you say” Minho nodded getting up and taking the whistle that Baekhyun offered him, securing it around his neck.

“Good, now make sure you hide you every step and every passage way, we only have this opportunity we have, this is your first mission Miho” Baekhyun said stepping back.

“I understand, I will do my best” Minho assured with a nod and a salute. The pair chuckled collecting their caps and putting them on.

“Take care kid” Kyungsoo said and with that they took their leave first.  Minho waited a few minutes before taking his own leave and heading out.

-

I still couldn’t figure out how he did it, but here he was, pushing the door that led him to the outside. He closed the heavy iron door and covered it with the bush that was there. Minho huffed and dried the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand turned to face the darkness of the night. He gulped thickly as he looked around and started to walk, creating distance between himself and the dome. He found a large rock that called his attention, the grass around it low and worn out, as if it was constantly being stepped on every day.

“Here goes nothing” Minho mumbled, pulling the whistle up and to his lips. He took a deep breath and blew it.

After that nothing seemed to happen. He looked around holding the whistle between his fingers and still nothing happened. The silence of the night was overwhelming and the weight of the task on his shoulders suffocated him.

As if his thoughts were being heard, a figure emerged from the woods in the distance and was heading his way. He inspected it, giving it a once over and the first thing his eyes found were bare feet.

“A mutant” Minho whispered astonished, bewildered, scared and slightly excited. He observed the creature before him carefully, it was walking his way. A few meters away the mutant stopped and gave him a once over. Minho felt uneasy and exposed by how the creature before him looked at him, he felt like pray.

The mutant looked at Minho’s hand and spotted the pendant eyes widening in anger. Suddenly and before he could even process it, the creature launched at full speed towards him.

Minho tried to dodge it but he was tackled to the ground and was tackled to the floor on full force. The air was knocked out of his lungs and before he could recover it the collar of his shirt was being pulled up in tight fists that shook with anger.

“Where did you get that pendant?! Tell me!” The mutant roared in his face in rage. He was easily larger than the mutant, but his strength was absolutely nothing against his mutant power.

“B-Bae-k sent me he-re” Minho stuttered trying to pray the mutant off of him.

“Kai!, come on buddy, it’s ok, don’t hurt him, he’s good!” Minho knew that voice that spoke, a pair of hands pulling at the mutant named Kai. Kai growled and released the mutant with a pissed off growl and got up snarling and glaring at Minho.

“Hey, are you alright?” Taemin’s face came into Minho’s view, a hand being offered to him. Minho wasn’t sure what more his mind could take with all this new information being thrown his way.

“Y-You’re o-out here, b-but” Minho stuttered taking Taemin’s hand and getting to his feet with his help.

“Long story short for now, I am a mutant, I wasn’t supposed to be in the dome” Taemin said with a small chuckle and looked up at him. Minho made an ‘oh’ and nodded in understanding.  Now that he was with Taemin, something inside of him calmed down. He knew him already, he knew the man, or mutant before him wouldn’t harm him. He hoped at least that he was right.

“Yeah yeah, where did you get that?!” Kai interrupted with a still pissed off look, a growl leaving his throat as a threat. Taemin looked at Minho and saw the pendant the human was holding, immediately recognicing it as Baekhyun’s and understanding way Kai was so warry and aggressive towards Minho.

Taemin had helped the other mutant find that. They had spent weeks going out in expeditions to the abandoned cities, looking for what could be a perfect gift for Kai’s mate. He remembered the other saying things like “it needs to be perfect” or “he needs something useful, practical, and easy to hide and that doesn’t draw much attention” and with that his best friend dragged him for weeks looking for the perfect gift. When they found that chain in a very old and abandoned jewelry store, Kai had attached a dog whistle to it and told Baekhyun that if he was ever in danger he should blow it. Their hearing was even more efficient than a dog so no matter where they were, they could here that whistle, and no matter what, Kai had promise to come to Baekhyun’s aid if he ever blew on it. So Minho having that gave Kai every right to be warry since for him it was just an unknown stranger with his mate and boyfriend’s most precious possession.

“Look Minho… I know all this is new, and you are scared but, we really need to know how you got that” Taemin said pointing at the pendant. Minho looked down and gulped, taking a deep breath in the search for courage.

“I-I…. Baekhyun gave it to me, he told me to look for help” Minho said, extending his hands towards them to hand over the necklace. Kai took the pendant rather harshly and growled holding the piece in a tight fist.

“And why would he do such a thing? Who are you for him to send you to do such a thing?” Kai asked through greeted teeth still not trusting Minho.

“I am a friend, He trusts me, and he sent me to look for help, i-it’s a rather serious emergency” Minho said, Taemin going serious.

“What? What is it Minho” Taemin asked worriedly walking close.

“Lies, Baekhyun would never give this to anyone” Kai growled, pushing Taemin behind him snarling at Minho. He was still angry for seeing a stranger with his gift to his mate, and now his mind for some reason was thinking in what kind of harm this human could have done to the love of his life.

“Kai, calm down, you need to trust him, we need to listen what he has to say.” Taemin tried again, but Kai was dead set on his decision. His ears were deaf and all he wanted was proof, not words.

“Now tell me what you did to Baek, for real” Kai once again started nearing Minho. Minho gulped and stepped back. Taemin cursed at a mutant’s jealous nature and tried to stop him again, Kai fighting him trying to reach Minho.

A loud roar was heard as a large auburn wolf neared them at high speed. The wolfed threw Kai to the floor and pinned him with its front paws, snapping his jaws in front of Kai’s face and snarling dangerously loud at Kai’s face. Kai gulped wide-eyed and whimpered lightly scared and confused.

Taemin jumped back falling on his and crawled a few steps back and bumping against a pair of legs. He looked up and grinned sheepishly as Jonghyun glared down at him.

“I told you to stay in the house” Jonghyun said pulling Taemin to his feet.

“I-I know but Kai…. Sorry” Taemin said lowering his head before looking back. The massive wolf snarled again and growled before letting go of the other mutant, Kai scurrying to his feet and stepping back, still with the pendant in his tightly clenched fist.

Jonghyun nodded ruffling his hair and walking to Minho, who trembled like a leaf and looked at everything with wide eyes. Taemin ran to Minho and helped him up once again, since he had tripped back and fell to the floor.

“He said he had something to tell us, and emergency or something” Taemin said worriedly. Jonghyun nodded and looked at Minho and tried his friendliest smile.

“Hey there, my name’s Jonghyun, no one will harm you ok” Jonghyun reassured. Minho nodded ulping and looked at the giant wolf that neared them. The wolf had his head low and ears flat. Jonghyun offered the wolf a pair of pants he had in hand, the loud sound of bones snapping being heard.

Minho’s eyes grew even wider as the fur disappeared and revealed his big brother. Onew gulped and side smiled not sure of what to do.

“Hey Minho” He said in a low unsure whisper. Minho didn’t even think it twice. He threw himself at his brother when he put on the pants and hugged him tightly.

“I missed you Hyung, I was so scared, I thought that you were dead.” He said rubbing his face on Onew’s shoulder. Onew hugged him back tightly, burying his face on Minho’s shoulder.

“I missed you too, I am sorry I disappeared”  Onew apologized getting ready to start explaining.

“Don’t worry, after this I understand everything, so it’s ok” Minho mumbled hugging him close.

“And how did you get here? Kibum brough you?” Onew asked jokingly, reminding Minho of his current task. The younger man widened his eyes and pulled back.

“Hyung! We need to hurry! They will kill them!”  Minho said to Onew, Onew’s face changing into a shocked and scared one.

“Who are they killing?” Onew asked placing his hands on Minho’s shoulders.

“Kibum and the others, Baekhyun sent me here to look for help, the mission is a set up, and they will send someone to kill them, all of them” Minho explained pulling at Jinki’s arm towards the dome. Jinki widened his eyes and looked at the others. Jonghyun had a similar expression, just like Kai and Taemin. In the blink of an eye Taemin darted away into the darkness of the night.

“Taemin wait!” Jonghyun tried to stop him, preparing to sprint after him.

“Wait! We will need help, I’ll go, Minho, I need you to go with Jonghyun and do as he says ok.”  Onew told his younger brother. Minho gulped but nodded, watching as Jonghyun stripped and shifted into a massive black wolf. He did as he was told and went to Jonghyun, getting on his back when the mutant motioned him to do so.

“What do I do?” Kai asked nearing Onew.

“You come with me, we will need as much help as we need while Jonghyun arrives with backup” Onew said starting to jog in the direction Taemin had headed off to. Kai nodded and followed the man, both shifting mid run, Kai into a dark chocolate wolf.

Minho glance back to his hyung, wishing him luck as he held on tightly to the mutant when it sprinted off towards the forest.

-

Kibum didn’t knew what to make out of this.

Everything was so strange, they hadn’t spotted a single life signal, and the troops were getting impatient. Amber kept glancing at him with questioning eyes, just like the others of his team. He just shrugged and went up ahead of his squad.

His gun was always up, ready to shoot if needed. Something about the wind, about everything screamed déjà vu.

The humid air caused the hair to stick to skin of the soldiers, and made the air hard to breath. Then it started raining, a heavy downpour that cuts the visibility of the humans.

Key squinted his eyes and looked at the sky, cursing before looking around. Even with the lights of the cars they could barely see in front of their faces.

“Something’s not right” Key told to his companion, Amber humming in agreement. Lightning illuminated the sky and the thunderclap deafened the soldiers.

Key squinted his eyes as he marched through the mud puddles that started to from. He looked around trying to make something out in the environment.

Lightning lighted the sky once again, providing a temporary light through the field. Key noticed a group of figures at the other side of the field, and they were nearing fast.

This was all too familiar.

He was re-living something he had already went through, a nightmare.

He looked around alarmed, no one seemed to notice what he saw. They were in danger and the veil of the night was the cover for it.

“Key, what’s wrong?” a friend of his from another squad asked, his name was Minhyuk, from Monsta x squad.

Key’s breath hurried considerably, his head turned to face several directions in less than a minute. Every fiber in his body, every hair stood on its end, and his skin was filled with goosebumps.

The air was musky, and the rain sound covered the sound of the footsteps that now Key was aware of.

Everything was just like that night, the night he got those horrible haunting scars on his back.

“Kibum answer me!” Minhyuk asked anxiously placing his hand on Key’s shoulder.

“They’re here” was all Kibum said, a shadow appearing in front of him.

Faster than the lightning that crossed the sky yet again, a hard blow to his face was delivered.

Not only he felt the cut on his lip re-open, no, his whole face ached and he could feel even more blood coming from his mouth and his right eyebrow had been cut open.

Screams filled with fear and pain were heard, gunshots rained, and roars were heard. Key was completely daze, everything turned as explosions and more screams were heard, Key got even more stunned.

With great force Key was kicked on the stomach and then pulled up by the neck.

His air was getting cut as the person in front of him looked at him through the wholes of the mask it wore. This were special ops uniform, but Key never knew such a force existed to this day, he though those were banned.

The human gritted his teeth and tried to pull the hands away but this strength wasn’t human.

 

As his eyes started to cloud, and everything around him blurred…

The human recognized something he should have recognized sooner…

This smell that the night held…

This cold….

The musk and the dampness…

It wasn’t a normal night after all….

No….

This night….

Screamed death….

---

 

Oh my XD

I hope you guys are enjoying this, because this story is closing in…

I really enjoyed writing this story, and your comments really kept me going

Man this excited me so much!

I hope you liked it, please comment!

Feedback is greatly appreciated as always!

If you liked it comment and subscribe!

Again I thank all of you lovely readers for hanging on there.

Until the next chapter!

Peace out! <3