The beginning

Living or Loving

Two boys sat at the roof of an apartment complex staring at the sunset.

"Hey, man you sure did a number on that dude's face, you even gave him a black eye" a young Jinki pointed at his eye signaling the place were his friend had supposedly hurt someone.

"Well you know me, never can back down of a challenge, plus he started it" shrugged a younger Kibum.

Both boys laughed contently until their laughter died down. When they both calmed Jinki looked at his friend worriedly.

"You should stop getting into so much troubles Key, you're barely sixteen and you know your mom worries about you, especially ever since your father died two years ago" Jinki told his friend.

"I know Onew, but it's just..." Key sighed loudly and threw a small pebble that he had found " I try you know, but things just seemed to happen; it's as if nothing good came in my way" he continued watching as the pebble fell.

"It will, just don't try to empty an ocean with your hands" Onew tried to reason with his friend, eyes following the pebble.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Key laughed loudly at his friend's strange kind of wisdom.

"I have no idea, my mom tells that to me a lot" Onew laughed standing up "Maybe you should try up for the army or something of the sort, maybe that could help" he commented dusting his pants off in the process. 

"Like hell I would, those people only walk around in pretty uniforms, there isn't any real threat out there that requires an army" his friend retorted doing the same action.

The sudden loud scream of a woman caused both boys to look startled in the direction of the noise. They watched in horror as a wave of creatures came running down the street that was bellow them, witnessing how the creatures attacked and killed innocent people. 

"We need to hurry, they are heading for our neighborhood" Onew yelled over the screams that filled the air of the city. The older boy started running in the direction were the creatures were heading, but stopped when he noticed that his friend was still in a shock looking at the wave of creatures that kept appearing.

He ran back to his friend and pulled at his arm, causing the youger to snap out of the trance and start running. They jumped from roof to roof, hoping to move faster than the creatures. In one of the jumps however, Kibum miss calculated and jumped too early, causing him to fall through the gap between the buildings and into an alley. In his way down he came too close to some rods that were sticking out of the walls and got his right arm hurt. There was a deep gash in his arm and blood started oozing out of it. A pained hiss came from Kibums mouth as he closed his eyes and tried to recover quickly.

"Key!" Said boy looked up to see his friend calling him from above, concern written all over his face.

"I'm fine, you go on ahead" Key yelled at his hyung, forsing his body to sit so that Onew would believe him. Jinki nodded and disappeared; heading for his house.

Kibum groaned and stood up, using his left hand to apply pressure on the wound. He stopped to recall the fastest way to get to his house and diceded that he needed to get out of the alley in the first place.

He turned to face the entrance of the ally, freezing in the spot at the sight. Standing there, there was a wolf like creature that stood in it's two hind legs, feral growls directed at the boy. Kibum gulped and searched for another way to escape. He looked over to his right and saw a way out of the alley through a small passage.

Another growl alerted the boy of the creature ready to leap and attack him. Just as the creature was ready to launch, a strong impact caused it to fly away. Now, instead of the previous creature, there was another one, two times smaller and with light brown furr, this one standing in all four legs. The creature held eye contact with the human, dark brown orbs strangely calming, before another bigger and darker mutant wolf came and nudged it with its nose. When both monsters ran in the direction that the other mutants were heading, Key made a run for it, squeezing trough the small hole in he wall.

After that encounter, Key managed to get to his neighborhood without any other life threatening encounters by keeping himself out of eyesight. But that didn't meant that what he found was good news. He had gotten to his destiny too late. Every single house was destroyed by the wave of creatures.

"Please, please" the boy said rushing down the streets trying to locate his house among the ruins. After hopelessly searching he gave up and fell to his knees sobbing uncontrollably while pushing wooden planks and rocks, throwing them away in an attempt of finding any survivors.

The boy flinched when a soft hand landed in his shoulder. He looked up and was met with his friend's sad eyes, dried tears tainting his cheeks as he held a small boy in his back. The boy seemed to be around his ten years, with raven hair and large eyes. Kibum dried his eyes and stood up, smiling to his friend.

"At least you got lucky and found your brother" Key smiled to his friend who looked at him with sorry eyes. 

"I'm sorry Key" muttered the older. Key shook his head and smiled pulling his friend's hand and guiding him towards the direction where other humans were running.

During two years the boys ran and hid in secret hiding places and safe houses until the first cities were built. This were underwater cities made as an escape from the creatures. They manage to get a place to live in Yienx, a city created for people with lower budgets or for homeless people. Now the three boys are ready to have a fresh start in life.

 

----

This is something like a prologue, I hope that everything is clear, please leave me your comments with your opinion, also feedback is appreciated.

Write you soon and peace out:)