Chapter Eight

Learning the Past (Sequel to Fugitive)

When Sarang woke up, it felt like she had a major hangover again.  She looked around at her surroundings to see a stuffy hospital room that was decorated with flowers. At her side were Sehun, Lay, Chen, and D.O; thankfully it looked as if they had minor injuries. There were huge bruises all over their bodies and nice, big open cuts that were now stitched but they didn’t have any casts on and of course, they weren’t dead.  
"Hey you're awake~," Lay quietly cheered. 
"Yeah... how long have I been out?" 
"Three days," Sehun answered. 
"...Were you guys waiting on me this entire time... or did you guys just happen to figure out when I would come back to life," Sarang joked, painfully. 
"We didn't leave your side, you dip. You better be so thankful. I could've been out having fun, if it weren't for you," Chen pouted. 
"Says the guy who wouldn't leave her side no matter how much the doctor said she would be fine," D.O chuckled. 
"Says the guy who was freaking out over nothing just because the doctor didn't give you an instant reply on why she wasn't waking up like the rest of us," Chen pointed out. 
"Says the guy--."
"Okay, I get it. Thanks
and sorry for making ya'll worry," Sarang interrupted while smiling awkwardly. "Wait... where's Kai... and Baekhyun?"
Images flashed before your eyes and you were reminded on how Baekhyun was shot because he was trying to protect you, "He's not..."
"They're fine. The doctor just wouldn't let them out of their beds because they're still recovering... though they're in a better shape than you are," Lay smiled. "Though Mr. Tao and Suho are still sleeping or something."
"That Chanyeol dude is okay too," Sehun inputted. "Long story short, everyone's fine... except some of Kris' bodyguards; they're dead."

“Wait who killed them?”

 

The looks on all of their faces didn’t have to be said; Sarang killed all of them after they tried to save Kris from her wrath; somehow Sarang couldn’t remember any of it.

 

"What about Kris?" Sarang asked, trying to move on and rolled her hand into a fist. "Did I kill him too?"
"
No, he's recovering as well, but there's a chance where he can never use his leg and arm again. They're doing all these surgeries on him now," D.O answered. 
"Wait... why
can’t he use his arm and leg?"
"You managed to shoot right where his major nerves were, but it's still a 40% chance... you know for him to become completely paralyzed
; so it’s not official yet."
"
Remind me to never piss you off again," Chen joked. 
After many different questions, Sarang decided it was time to go to the "survivors' rooms". First was Chanyeol. It was awkward at first, especially since they never really exchanged words to each other before. But she noticed how he seemed to already feel protective of her; from constant questions on how she's feeling to constant reminders on how she shouldn't push herself and how she would lay down. With an immediate connection, they hugged each other and she thanked him for his bravery. 
Sarang visited Mr. Tao next. Mr. Tao was already up but was about to doze off to sleep because of the side effects of the pain killers
he just swallowed. Sarang smiled and asked him if he was okay. The conversation wasn't very long since he was collapsing from the pain killers. But before he did, he gave her a long affectionate hug and thanked her for being alive. 
"I should be more thankful... for not shutting me out because of this incident," Sarang almost started to tear up again and embraced Mr. Tao tightly. "Thank you so much, Mr. Panda."
"Call me Panda, squirt," Mr. Tao laughed softly before he
really fell asleep.  
Next was Kai; he was still asleep when she came in but opened his eyes right away when she sat down next to him. 
"Oh did I wake you?" Sarang
said, feeling apologetic.
"No I was just closing my eyes," Kai lied as he yawned. 
"Whatever," Sarang laughed like a deflated balloon as she smiled bitter sweetly. "How do you feel?"
"Like I have one of the biggest hangovers possible," Kai answered, rubbing his forehead. "You?"
"Same."
Sarang stared at Kai until he felt uncomfortable and asked her what was up. Sarang shook her head, "Nothing... I mean... I just wanted to thank you for coming to my rescue."
"Wow, you're really saying that?" Kai laughed. 
"I know, shut up; I'm making myself cringe, okay?" Sarang slightly pushed Kai's arm. 
"Oww," Kai whined. 
"Oh gosh, I'm sorry," Sarang reached over. She put her hand on his cheek and slightly slapped it. "Stop being a baby haha." She didn't remove her hand from his face though. Instead she left it there and caressed him. Kai put his hand over hers and caressed her as well. Kai motioned her to come closer and kissed her on the cheek. 
"I'll always love you, Sarang, even if this relationship will never work."
"I'll always love you too, you ," Sarang made a face but kissed Kai once more then headed out to leave. 
"Hey, Sarang," Kai called. 
"Yeah?'
"Go check on Baekhyun. He's really worried about you... more than you have ever known."
"...Okay."

 

Rather than going down the hall to Baekhyun, Sarang detours to Suho's room which was right next to Kai's. Suho was already awake and reading over police files. He almost jumped out of his bed when he saw Sarang coming into the door.
"Thank God, you're okay," Suho smiled. 
"Same goes to you too," Sarang laughed as she sat down at his bedside. 
Suho reached in for a tender hug. Sarang felt warm and happy but also weird and awkward. The fact that this man was
fourteen years older was one thing but he was also her sister's lover.
"Can I be honest with you?" Suho said, as if he read Sarang's mind. Sarang nodded slowly.
"I know this is awkward and even weird, but I truthfully thought I was falling for you." Sarang stared at him with wide eyes. "Hey before you start thinking that I'm a e. I want to tell you and I guess myself that it's because you reminded so much of Hyeji. You know, she was taken from me, and I couldn't do anything about it. I guess when you decided to get yourself into some MAJOR trouble; it felt like I was getting this second chance."
"I see," Sarang smiled bitter sweetly then joked, "At least now I know you're not a e."
"Technically I was for a little bit," Suho joked back. "But that other kid obviously outshined me when it comes to protecting you."
"What kid?" Sarang asked puzzled. 
"That kid that ran in front of the bullet for you. That takes some big guts," Suho applauded in his mind. 
"Baekhyun? He outshined you in what?"
"You're kidding, right?" Suho blankly stared at her as if she just said that she found a monster with three heads in the room. "That kid obviously loves you."
"What? No he doesn't."
"He does; and let me ask you something. Do you think it's easy for someone to fling themselves in front of a gun? It takes big love to do that," Suho said. 
Sarang managed to squeeze her way out of the conversation by telling Suho that she'll go visit Baekhyun. Suho gave her a fist bump and shooed her away. Sarang slowly made her way down the hallway and thought things through. She did notice that he was always overly attentive to her, though she thought it was because he was just a caring person. She knew he would always try to make her laugh, even though he failed miserably at times. Sarang started to
, slowly by slowly, think things through and it was as if her heart had just burst with emotions.