Chapter Two

Learning the Past (Sequel to Fugitive)

“Mr. Pandaa… help mee,” Sarang whined.

“What do you need?” Mr. Tao smiled.

“This whole thing about the Masked Beauty… I want to know more about her but there’s nothing really on her past or how she was like,” Sarang pouted and rested her head on Mr. Tao’s desk. “You were like fifteen then, right? Do you remember anything?”

“Hm, let’s see…,” Mr. Tao tapped his chin. “I remember that there was this cop that was promoted because his task force brought her down.”

“If it was his task force, then he should know the most out of everyone there, right?” Sarang became a little brighter. 

“Probably,” Mr. Tao reached around Sarang to get his coffee mug.

Sarang took his mug from his hand and sipped it herself. “You take your coffee too sweet, Mr. Panda.”

“Aish,” Mr. Tao drove his finger to her forehead. He then took back his mug and took a sip himself, “You take your coffee too bitter, Miss Lee.”

Sarang stuck out her tongue and whipped herself back to the laptop, “Anyway who’s the person who was in charge of the Masked Beauty case again?”

Mr. Tao shrugged then leaned himself onto Sarang’s chair to look over her shoulder. Sarang didn’t mind; even though if someone had been looking, they probably would’ve thought that Mr. Tao and Sarang were dating, but it was just their close friendship; they were only five years apart. Sarang leaned back onto Mr. Tao and in a couple minutes, found her answer.

“Lieutenant Kim Suho,” Mr. Tao read over her shoulder.

“I wonder if he’s still working,” Sarang said, looking at the clock that read 3pm.

“Why? Are you going to talk to him?”

“Yeah, obviously… you know, it’s for my project,” Sarang winked, packing up her things then throwing her backpack on.


“So you’re saying that you’re the Masked Beauty’s half sister?”

“Yes, I am. I am also doing a project on the Masked Beauty case so I would like to know more about her,” Sarang replied, sitting confidently and was taking control of the atmosphere.

Suho stared at her for a minute, she does look like her... and she has the same aura as well. 

“If you don’t mind… is your name Lee Sarang?”

Okay that threw her off, “Yes… how did you know that?”

Suho shook his head. Sarang soon became persistent and actually got Suho to open up to her. Suho smiled and remembered Hyeji's and Suho's first real conversation; Sarang's voice and tone was almost identical to Hyeji's. Sarang and Suho exchanged phone numbers because he promised her he’ll give her more information than he already had given her, which meant a lot because he already told her that Hyeji trained with a man named Kris Wu.

“Why don’t you go after him then? He trained the Masked Beauty,” Sarang asked, putting her phone back into her purse.

“From the information I privately got from her? I can’t use it.”

“… Privately? Hyeji was supposed to be one of the most mysterious criminals. When she was caught, she died at the scene.”

“Oh,” Suho startled.

“… You guys dated, didn’t you?” Sarang smirked after a pause.

“No, I mean,” Suho stuttered. It was such a long time since someone had really thrown him off… to be exact over ten years ago, the same woman that they were talking about.

“No, no, you don’t have to explain,” Sarang waved her hand then froze. “Wait… are you the reason that the Masked Beauty never got caught?”

“No! I met her after four years since she started her crime spree,” Suho frantically explained. “Look I’ll tell you more about her next time.”

 Sarang thanked him and left for the restaurant the ‘Eat or Die Crew’ was meeting up at. Chanyeol walked in as she left and asked Suho if he was seeing things; he actually mistaken Sarang as the Masked Beauty.

“No that’s her sister,” Suho said while smiling Hyeji’s signature awkward smile.

“How old is she?”

“I think she said she was a senior, so probably eighteen,” Suho sat back down on his desk, looking over his papers.

Chanyeol teased saying that Suho should try to get to know her more, and Suho teased back saying that Chanyeol should step off. Just then Suho got a text from Sarang:

                “Thank you so much for today. I really appreciate it. Can we meet up at the nearby Starbucks in two hours? The curiousity is killing me haha.”

Chanyeol joked, “Well first date is coming soon. Funny how the yeo-dongsang* asked you out first.”

Suho shook his head, “Dude, she’s fourteen years younger than us… I could be her uncle.”

“You technically were,” Chanyeol said quietly.

Suho fell silent for a second then slowly nodded his head in agreement, "... yeah..."


*Yeo-dongsang/여동생-- dongsang is "younger sibling" and yeo is the first letter of the word yeoja (여자) which means girl/woman. So yeo-dongsang is literally a younger sibling that's a girl. As many of you know, dongsang is not only used for the family members.