Chapter 2

Caught in the Crossfire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjong

For the rest of the day I sat in my office, working on ideas for the upcoming line of clothes. However, any attempts at being productive were bothered by the fact that I was going on a date with the CEO. Just the thought of it made me squirm in my seat. He was always so touchy and feely! But what else was I supposed to do? I needed to keep my job for the hopes that I can strike it big in the industry. And being assigned as the leader of Lee Sungyeol's project was too golden of an opportunity to pass up.

The ideas began to flow out nicely onto my sketchpad. Sungyeol had given a DO's and DO NOT's list, so I simply had to follow his rubric while adding my own touches. I was too buried in my sketches for the clothes that I didn't hear footsteps walk into my office. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up.

"What are you doing here, Woohyun? Shouldn't you be in the lobby actually doing your job? You know how much the CEO does not like slackers." 

"I took a lunch break so I could come up and see you! Aren't you happy that I'm here?" He started throwing hearts at me. Ugh, the cheesiness that flowed out of his mouth was disgusting.

"Woohyun, I have work to do and after I'm done I have to go meet up with the CEO at a restaurant. I'd like to not be bothered right now, please."

"But you do know the CEO probably hired you for your looks, right? And Lee Sungyeol, too?" I looked up to meet his gaze and sighed at his truthful response.

"What am I supposed to do? Make myself ugly? I should just take advantage of what I have anyway."

"Alright then." Woohyun then pulled me up and out of my seat so that we were facing each other. I was brought dangerously close to him, to the point where I could feel his warm breath on my nose.

"W-Woohyun! This office is as small as it is!" I panicked, trying to move away from him.

"Then let's get closer shall we?"

"Oh god, you're all the same!" I yelled out, shoving him in the chest. He only smirked at the rough action that I did, as if my words didn't even reach his ears.

"I'll let you go if you go on a date with me, okay?"

"But I have a date with Sunggyu!" I argued in reply.

"Well choose then. Me or Sunggyu?"

I thought about his offer for a while. My options were either a date with a pedo CEO, or a date with a pathetic secretary. I should just go with the secretary, I thought. He may get up in my personal space, but at least he knew not to touch my .

"Fine, fine, fine." I groaned out. “Just let me finish up and I'll meet you down there alright? And if Sunggyu gets mad at me then this going on your head, got that?"

"Don't worry, Jongie," He happily called out, giving my cheeks a soft pinch. "Sunggyu can't get rid of you now. You're leading the new project, and if he gets rid of you, then Sungyeol leaves too. That means that there is no way that Sunggyu will ever get rid of you!"

"How do you know that Sungyeol won't work with another good-looking designer?"

"Please, everyone at the meeting was telling me about how he was looking at you like a piece of sweet candy. And I don't blame him." With that, Woohyun patted my back and left back to his station in the lobby.

Finishing the remaining ideas I had, I picked up my coat and satchel and headed down to the 1st floor. Right when the elevator doors opened, the Nam star immediately ran by my side and took my satchel for me. I laughed at his gentleman-like manner. 

"Oh come on, you can spend time pampering me later! I'm really hungry right now..."

With an understanding look on his face, we headed out into the crowded streets. We decided on a nice diner to eat at instead of an expensive restaurant. Considering the salaries we both got, it'd be better to just go with somewhere decent enough for both of us. Inside the diner, the wait was incredibly long. People flooded inside and outside with ease, yet we were the only customers who sat there for a wait longer than an hour. I blamed it on poor service.

"Hyung, why is our food taking so long?" I whined out, only to get a smile for the irritated attitude I displayed.

"I told the staff to delay our food so we had more time to talk. So why don't we just enjoy the time we have together instead of complaining okay?" I groaned at the things that I would experience soon.

Woohyun was probably the weirdest person I had ever talked to. Sure there were plenty of things to talk about, but it'd all lead back to me somehow. We'd be on a topic about how our school lives were, for example, and then he'd come in out of nowhere and say something along the lines of, 'I bet you were prettier than all the girls at your school!' Then I would sigh and blush a little at his compliment, and the cycle would repeat for a different topic. This guy had no limits.

On the bright side of the date, I learned different things about Woohyun that weren't related to hitting on me. He said that he always had dreams of becoming a singer, but he wasn't capable of training because of the lack of money in his family. I told him that I would be enlightened to hear him sing, and he began to sing right then and there in the diner. His soothing voice resounded throughout the busy diner, and all the customers turned to view the singing sensation. Even though I was embarrassed at all the attention, I applauded really loudly when he finished. Who knew Nam Woohyun was capable of other things?

By the time our food got to our table, I began to actually sort of enjoy the date, seeing Woohyun in a different light. But I was then interrupted by a loud yell from the door.

"Sungjongie!" I was startled at the sound of my name and rotated around to see who was calling me. Upon seeing the owner of the voice, I chuckled a bit. It was Dongwoo and Hoya, who coincidentally came to the same restaurant as we had. Interfering with our date, the two pushed into the booth with us, not giving us time to reject their presence at all. Woohyun seemed a bit ticked at the interruption, but I put my hand over his to calm him down. 

"Hey Sungjong, who's this?" Hoya asked with a curious look in his eyes.

"This is the secretary at the company I work at, Nam Woohyun."

"Nice to meet you," Woohyun said bitterly.

"Ooh, are you on a date?" Dongwoo asked abruptly, causing both me and Woohyun to freeze at the assumption. Not knowing how to phrase it, I simply responded, "Yeah, we're trying to get to know each other I guess."

"Aww, sorry. We should get going, right Hoya?" A smile danced on my lips for a moment, then faded away instantly. Personally I wanted them to go and leave us in peace, but then again I didn't. I mean, they did take me in when I had no home.

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter