Chapter 1

Caught in the Crossfire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain kept pouring and pouring endlessly, as if the clouds were recovering from a sorrowful breakup. Lee Sungjong peered out the cafe window, hoping that he was able to find shelter anywhere he could for tonight. Why was he in this situation? Because of his looks. He was never conceited or self-centered about his looks, but after hearing years-worth compliments about how flawless his skin looked, how silky his hair was, and how adorable he looked in general - it was pretty obvious his looks played somewhat of a role in his life.

From high school to college, it had all been the same. Some guys wanted to date him, some guys wanted to love him, and some guys wanted to sleep with him. As for the girls, they were just too jealous that all the guys wanted him in the first place. People were appalled at how effortlessly Sungjong turned guys gay, or as they termed, Jong-ual. But really, Sungjong never had the intention at all. He would just treat them nicely like a normal human being should, and BAM! They had a crush on him. Over the years, the repeated process had become sort of a pain, and Sungjong wanted to settle down so no guy would ever hit on him if they saw a ring occupying his finger.

And so Sungjong tried. He tried to find that perfect man that would treat him right and loved him, not lusted him. He found a guy that seemed to fulfill all of Sungjong's desires: he was perfect in any way that Sungjong could imagine....until that man had dropped him like a hot potato. That man was Kim Myungsoo. Myungsoo was an ice prince on the outside, but upon meeting Sungjong, his exterior melted into an adorable puppy. He and Sungjong had been dating for two years, and had a healthy relationship. They seemed to have a good future planned out for them and everything was bright in Sungjong's eyes.  Sungjong was actually expecting for Myungsoo to propose to him until one fateful day.

Sungjong had walked into a park one night, hoping to relax himself from the stress of his studies in college. However, the sight of Myungsoo's back had shocked him. It was unmistakably his backside, he could tell. Sungjong even moved towards the left and right to confirm his profile. He ran towards him excitedly, as they barely had time to visit each other. But as Sungjong ran closer, he could see a girl standing behind him. She looked quite pretty, he had to admit.

Sungjong froze in his steps, standing on a hill, to view the event. He was curious what the two were doing here in the park at night. But then his suspicions were confirmed when he saw his lover kneel down while holding an object that Sungjong was able to see from the glint of the streetlights. No, that object should have been for me, he thought. The girl's face lit up in excitement, and seconds later, he saw them in a tight embrace. Not wanting to see any more of the event, he ran away with tears in his eyes.

Sungjong knew that his boyfriend always had to end up with a girl in the end, as Myungsoo had told him from the start. But he always hoped that his mind would change. He desired for things to get better so that there was a chance of them being a couple again. However, that chance might as well have been gone. To this date, Sungjong had never contacted Myungsoo again, and never wanted to at all.

One year later, Sungjong was now broke. He was a rookie in the fashion industry, and it didn't seem that he could possibly make a breakthrough into the industry. His pay began dwindling down into pitiful amounts. He was evicted from his apartment, and kicked out into the busy streets once his earnings were not enough for the living space. Not knowing where to go, he took shelter in a cafe from the rapid rain. He began pondering about his past and why things were so bad now. The barista had asked him several times if he was going to buy something, but Sungjong just held his head down and said a quiet "no" in response. Fed up with him, he also kicked him out of the cafe, and Sungjong was left in the rain yet again.

Strolling through the streets, he seemed to stand out like a sore thumb. His clothing was far more flashy and bright than all the dim suits of the businessmen, and he carried around a pink luggage case where all of his belongings remained. Giving up on a search for shelter, he made do for a park bench that sat under a massive tree. At least I won't get rained on, he thought.

The rainstorm didn't let up until the deep night, allowing Sungjong no time to sleep. But once the huge patter of water halted, his eyelids began to falter. He was preparing for an uncomfortable rest until a face suddenly appeared in front of his eyes. Fear took over himself and he hit the stranger in the nose out of defense.

"Oww!" The stranger yelled out. "I wasn't trying to hurt you!"

Not believing his words, Sungjong tentatively lowered his fist but gave the stranger a chance to explain himself.

"I was just on a jog, and you were just sitting here, all alone in the rain. Do you have a place to stay tonight?"

Sungjong responded, "No, I don't have anywhere to stay." His voice felt raspy and weak.

"Well you can come stay with me for tonight, okay?" The stranger smiled widely, showing his perfect and shiny teeth. He kind of looked like a dinosaur with the way his face looked. He held out a hand for Sungjong to take.

Sungjong was shocked at how kind the stranger was. He should be worried that someone who he didn't know wanted to take care of him, but it was either the stranger, or the park bench. Hoping that the mysterious person would have good intentions, Sungjong merely nodded and accepted the hand held out for him. Once he was pulled up, Sungjong felt fatigue take over him. He barely ate today, and could barely process his thoughts at all.

The stranger decided to just carry him bridal style to wherever his home was. Once inside the home, Sungjong felt himself set down on a fluffy bed, and squirmed to find a comfortable position. He was about to doze off when the stranger's face appeared in front of his yet again. "What?" Sungjong groaned.

His response seemed to make the mystery man light up, as his eyes glinted happily. "You need to eat or else you'll feel even worse." he stated.

"I'm not hungry at all!" Sungjong yelled out annoyingly. On cue, his stomach growled nastily and both of the men chuckled at the uncanny timing. Sungjong sighed, accepting defeat, and opened his mouth. The stranger spoon fed him some soup until Sungjong's belly felt content and full. The stranger crawled into bed with him, and they both fell asleep together.

~~~

Sungjong woke up only to be alerted that he was in a foreign place. Recalling last night's events, his worries were calmed down as the stranger obviously wanted no harm. Sungjong tried to get out of bed, but immediately felt a tight grip around him. Flipping himself around, he saw the stranger's face more clearly in the daylight. It was quite pleasant to look at, in fact. Maybe I would have dated him back in college, he pondered. Sungjong giggled at how peaceful the elder looked, and not wanting to interrupt that peace, Sungjong dec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter