Jessica; Stephanie

Eyes Don't Tell Me Lies

Tiffany felt her head spinning. Badly.

A pair of arms were being placed around her neck from behind, tensed her all over. Tiffany couldn’t believe it at first, of course she couldn’t, how could in a sudden there was a knock on the door and turned out Lim Yoona was there?

Today was supposed to be one of Tiffany’s rare free days. She didn’t have any schedules or appointments. She was free for the day. Before suddenly this goddess came without any warnings or notices and easily made her way inside.

When Tiffany asked why the actress came, Lim Yoona simply shrugged with a casual,

“I’m bored.”

The singer was awkwardly sitting on the couch, really, how could she be this awkward in her own apartment? And Lim Yoona was bending down, her arms around the singer’s neck, her chin on the shoulder. Tiffany gripped the TV remote tightly. She could never feel relaxed with this beauty around. Like, never.

“Have you been busy?” Lim Yoona asked in a whisper.

Tiffany slightly budged, “Pretty much.”

“Hmm… when is your comeback?”

“The date isn’t exactly settled…”

The actress only nodded at that before she withdrew herself from Tiffany. She then walked around, observing the apartment. Tiffany eyed her.

There was something different that time. No, it wasn’t about Lim Yoona, but it was about herself. How she felt toward the moment, toward the event, toward Lim Yoona. Tiffany wouldn’t admit it, but she wouldn’t deny it either. There was this simple yet deadly question running around Tiffany’s head,

Why does it feel less exciting?

Tiffany liked Lim Yoona. She admitted it. So it wouldn’t make sense if she didn’t feel that feeling being around someone she liked. Instead, she questioned herself. Just look at what was happening. She let Lim Yoona, who’s practically wasn’t a close friend, come into her apartment and freely observing it.

Why does it feel… not right?

Then Lim Yoona turned around to face Tiffany, and the latter’s face went blank.

“What’s with the long face?” She asked with a chuckle, “Aren’t you happy to see me?”

Tiffany opened to deny, but she couldn’t find the right words. Damn, what was wrong with her?

“I’m disturbing you, aren’t I?”

“No!” Tiffany quickly said, half-lied, “I just… I didn’t expect you’d come. I mean, I haven’t prepared anything or--”

“Nah,” Yoona smiled, “don’t worry about that.”

They went silent once more. Tiffany had her eyes on Lim Yoona’s back. The actress was standing by the huge window, keeping mum, Tiffany didn’t know what she was up to. It went longer than their usual silence. Again, Tiffany found something different that day. She realized that Lim Yoona also wasn’t like the usual her.

The actress was the clingy type. Tiffany knew her well. Even though she was taller than Tiffany, but she liked clinging to the singer. She also talked a lot, way a lot compared to the always-stunned Tiffany. But this time she was silent. She didn’t cling much. And her smile didn’t look genuine enough, it didn’t even reach her eyes.

Tiffany frowned. No, she wasn’t the disturbed one, Lim Yoona was.

And it worried her, somehow.

She stood up, walked to the actress, and back-hugged her. It was her first encounter with a silent Lim Yoona, she wasn’t familiar, she didn’t know what to do. Definitely there was something that kept bothering Lim Yoona. Was that why she came here? Because she didn’t have anywhere else to go?

“Are you okay?” Tiffany managed to ask.

“I am, though?” Lim Yoona answered, it sounded sincere but forced at the same time, “Why? Are you worried?”

I guess so?

“Yes.” Tiffany nodded, “You don’t look pretty good, Unnie.”

There wasn’t any answer for the next seconds. Lim Yoona then grasped Tiffany’s arms to loosen it and she turned around. She smiled, pulling Tiffany closer by the waist and brushed the singer’s hair off of her forehead.

“I am better with your concern.”

Tiffany didn’t know whether it was a lie or not, but she just let herself drowning when, finally, they kissed, and nothing else mattered.

-

It was almost 7PM when Tiffany reached the house. The Jungs’ house.

The huge gate made her stop. She couldn’t believe herself she still remembered her way here. Just like what they had planned, by ‘they’ she meant Jessica Jung and her, she came to Jamie’s small birthday party as a surprise. Krystal couldn’t hide her shock when she found out that Tiffany knew about Jamie. Well, Jamie was supposed to be a secret, wasn’t she? She was lucky Krystal didn’t ask further that time.

Jessica had called her yesterday to make sure. And Tiffany was excited to meet the little girl again.

Tiffany opened her car’s window and awkwardly smiled to the monitor. There was a beep and soon, the gate was opened.

She drove inside slowly. She thought it’d be crowded, but the house looked normal. There was a security guiding her to park her car right in front of the front door. She stopped her car and looked at the small pink box on the passenger seat, her gift for Jamie. She smiled as she grabbed it and exited her car.

After she gave her key to the security, for safety purposes he said, she walked inside accompanied with other men. Like, seriously, how many men this family had? They said the party was in second floor’s balcony, but it took forever to get them there. The house was too big and Tiffany felt like she wouldn’t be able to remember her way back to the front door.

When they reached the balcony, Krystal caught her first because she was facing the door.

“Wow Jamie, look who’s here!”

Krystal shifted a bit and Tiffany saw Jamie, sitting on her mother’s lap. The little girl gasped loudly and literally jumped off of Jessica’s lap. Tiffany widely smiled and squatted down with opened arms as Jamie ran to hug her.

“Auntie Tiffany!”

“Hi, Sweetie… long time no see.” She patted the girl’s back softly.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’d come, Auntie?” Jamie asked as they both pulled away.

“Because it’s a surprise.” Tiffany then handed her gift, “And happy birthday!”

“Yay! A gift!”

There were only Jessica, Krystal, Jamie and people from the company whom Tiffany knew. It was a small party indeed. As Jamie kept clinging onto her, she greeted the others too. Krystal gave her a big hug because they hadn’t met for a quite while, as expected, with her ‘gorgeous’ pet name for Tiffany. The atmosphere was warm for a moment before Krystal playfully snatched Jamie’s gift from the little girl and they started quarreling.

That was when Tiffany realized that Jessica was still there, and they hadn’t even spoken to each other.

They accidentally met each other’s eyes, or probably Jessica had always been staring, and both of them didn’t do anything afterward. Tiffany clutched her handbag tightly as she reminded herself of how strangely interesting Jessica’s eyes were.

And then after a long three seconds, Jessica smiled. So, very slight, but it could make Tiffany’s heart jumped. She hadn’t even returned the smile because Jessica turned around and stopped the quarrel that was happening between her sister and her daughter.

Oh God, how could they be this awkward?

“Stop, now. Soojung, give it back.” Jessica said as she squatted down and hugged her daughter from behind.

“Meanie!” Jamie stuck out her tongue after she got the gift back, which Krystal did the same to her.

Tiffany chuckled seeing that.

“Mommy, can I open it?”

“Hmm? Have you said thanks?”

“I have! Right, Auntie?” Jamie asked to Tiffany and the latter nodded, “Can I, Mommy?”

Jessica smiled and ruffled Jamie’s hair, “Go ahead.”

The sight made Tiffany’s smile faltered. It was always different. The way Jessica smiled to Jamie compared to anyone else, it was way, way different and Tiffany noticed it.

It made Tiffany curious. Why did she have to hide her daughter to the world?

-

Tiffany’s eyes glistened as the bright fireworks lighted up in the sky. She unconsciously smiled at the sight. Usually people would be disturbed with this kind of noisy fireworks, but it always worked in cheering the singer up. She didn’t mind the loud voice. Her ears were used to it anyway.

She was still on the balcony, sitting down watching the fireworks as some maids were busy cleaning the dining table. Some steps ahead of her, there was Jessica, standing up with her back facing Tiffany, she was also watching the fireworks. Her hands were holding the trellis and Tiffany realized Jessica had a quite… nice body.

Great. She was staring. Again.

Jessica was a huge distraction during the party earlier. Tiffany wanted to spend more time with Jamie, but she found herself always turning her gaze following everywhere Jessica went. It didn’t help because Jamie would always cling onto her mother. Well, of course duh, it was her mother.

Tiffany learned that Jamie had spent the entire day with Jessica. She skipped work and went to everywhere Jamie wanted. She said it was a simple tradition on birthdays. Tiffany knew Jamie couldn’t see Jessica often so that’s why she couldn’t be apart from her mother even though for a mere second.

And it was heartwarming.

But the main question is, Tiffany couldn’t help but ask in the head, where is the father?

Exhaling a breath, Tiffany leaned her back further to the backrest as the fireworks continued. It was from the house’s backyard, some kind of the ‘closing’ for the small party that night. Every explosion was followed by an excited shriek, came from Jamie. She was with Krystal down there in the backyard, leaving Tiffany alone with the older Jung.

Minutes passed, and the fireworks ended. Tiffany uncrossed her legs and stood up, didn’t know why, and she saw Jamie down there with Krystal, both of them walked to another house across the house Tiffany was in.

Wait, what?

“Is that a house?” Tiffany asked, pointing at where Krystal and Jamie was heading.

Jessica turned her head to Tiffany with a raised eyebrow, “Yeah?”

“You have two houses here?”

“No.” Jessica shook her head and quickly continued before Tiffany was about to argue, “Actually there are more if you go further.”

Jessica’s finger was pointing to the blurry sight of small houses and Tiffany couldn’t see an end. The singer had wide opened. It was crazy, she thought this place only had one house, which was really big and looked like a mansion instead.

She was wrong, then.

“That one is Krystal’s. She stays there. And it looks like Jamie will sleep there too tonight, since I have to work.”

“She… she stays in a different house?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Just because.” Jessica shrugged.

Just because. Both Jungs’ sign that they didn’t want to be asked further.

“And the other houses, then? Who stay there?”

“My maids.”

“Your maids? You build houses for your maids?”

“Yeah.” Jessica nodded, “Most of them come from countryside. They can’t just go home regularly, so I’m okay if they want to bring some or their families here. I want them to feel comfortable. They work well for me so they’re also my responsibility. I have to treat them well. And I also don’t want to feel lonely.”

The way Jessica casually said it as if it wasn’t that big, once again, stunned Tiffany. She didn’t know Jessica was kind. Well, she knew Jessica wasn’t bad but she had no idea that Jessica was that kind. Really, the more Tiffany knew this woman, the more she realized how unlucky both of them because of their first encounter.

She really shouldn’t have judged back then.

Jessica then turned around, her elbows on the trellis. Tiffany’s eyes landed on Jessica’s hand, to her fingers, and she saw no rings there.

“You know,” Tiffany started again. She suddenly felt the need to talk.

Jessica stared at her, waiting.

“You’re so different with your sister.”

“Oh, I know that.” Jessica nodded, showed Tiffany a lopsided smile before she stared at somewhere else, “She’s better in so many things.”

It made Tiffany form a slight frown, “That’s not what I meant.”

“I know, Miss Hwang. Don’t worry.”

Miss Hwang. Tiffany couldn’t believe but chuckle knowing Jessica still called her that formal and yet Krystal had been calling her ‘gorgeous’ since forever.

“Why did you laugh?” Jessica asked, raising one eyebrow.

“Because it’s funny, Miss Jung. How long would you call me like that? I mean, it’s too formal and uncomfortable, don’t you think so?”

“Ah, is it?” Jessica brought a hand to the back of her neck, “Sorry, I’m not so good with people.”

Yeah, I can see that.

“If you’re uncomfortable then… let’s change that. What should I call you? Stephanie?”

Tiffany was about to suggest before she closed again. Wait, Stephanie? Jessica knew her real name?

“Is it still uncomfortable?” Jessica asked again.

“You… you know my name.”

“Huh?”

“My real name, Stephanie. You know my real name.”

Jessica went silent before again, she brought her hand to the back of her neck, rubbing it slowly. Tiffany found it cute.

“You can call me that, then. Stephanie is fine. To think about it, there aren’t many people who still use that name.”

“Ah… alright… Stephanie.”

“Yes, Jessica.”

Tiffany then smiled and it was too captivating until Jessica did the same.

-

“Like, I got too excited but little did I know there was this huge banner right above my head and…”

Jessica crossed her arms and tilted her head. A slight, lopsided smile was formed on her lips as she stared at the blabbering woman across her, no other than Tiffany. They were still there on the balcony, talking. Or more like, Tiffany was the one who talked meanwhile Jessica mostly only listened.

They had grown quite more comfortable for the past hour. And it was good, because finally, Tiffany felt the huge burden of awkwardness was lifted a little at once from her shoulders. And they were quite a good match, because Tiffany liked talking, and Jessica preferred listening.

“Crazy as heck!”

“Was it?”

“It was!”

Earlier Jessica said she had work to do, but Tiffany doubted if she even meant it. Just look at those eyes. Well, yes, they were intoxicating but clearly, Jessica looked tired. Her eye bags were much visible this time. Tiffany, she wasn’t really sure why, somehow didn’t want this woman to overwork herself right after her daughter’s birthday just because she had skipped work for the day. Well, one day off wouldn’t kill her company, anyway.

So she purposely stayed longer than she was supposed to. And it worked. Jessica wouldn’t go to work. At least until the next morning, just like what she said on the phone earlier, yes, Tiffany eavesdropped.

After Tiffany had shared one more story, she did in widening Jessica’s smile and made the businesswoman chuckled. Then they went silent, which was more comfortable, and Jessica put her left hand on the table, tapping her fingers on it lightly.

There, Tiffany also found no rings.

She silently sighed. Really, she was curious yet she wasn’t in the right place to carelessly ask who is the father or are you married or not like that. It was frustrating, because she had already told many, many stories about herself and yet Jessica didn’t even mention one of hers.

It was almost midnight when Tiffany got her cue to go home. Jessica walked her to the front door because Tiffany really forgot the way out. She already bid goodbyes to Krystal and Jamie earlier. Both of them must’ve had dozed off in Krystal’s house at the moment.

Tiffany’s car was already there when they reached the front door. Tiffany felt like she was in a hotel or something.

“Thanks for inviting me. I had a good time.” She said.

“My pleasure. Thank you for coming too.”

They smiled at each other before Jessica gestured Tiffany to get inside her car. The singer did, her car, and opened the window. She was about to say goodbye before suddenly, an idea popped into her head.

“Hey, Jessica,”

“Yeah?”

“If I invited you to my comeback showcase, would you come?”

“Comeback showcase?”

“Yup.” Tiffany nodded, grinning, “I’ll invite Jamie and Krystal too, of course.”

“Ah, alright, then.” Jessica agreed, “I’ll come.”

The answer made Tiffany’s grin widened, “Okay, then. I guess I’ll go now. Bye, Jessica.”

Tiffany waved a hand and Jessica did the same followed with,

“Be careful, Stephanie.”

And it was that feeling all over again, hearing Jessica saying that name.

Stephanie.

****

It's late but happy birthday Kim Choding!! :D

I've been like so busy these past months and I can't find the right time to write... sigh I miss my free times hu. And uh... I guess I was being too careless about my health lately... I'm going to get myself diagnosed through MRI tomorrow... wish me luck :/