Suffocating

Eyes Don't Tell Me Lies

Hello. Firstly, I would like to thank you all for the birthday wishes last month. It was really overwhelming. Sadly, it wasn't the best birthday I had but you guys made it a lot better. Thank you so much!!

And sorry to tell you that this chapter is not focusing on JeTi, but please read it because I need your opinion. Enjoy!!

****

So you can comfortably come back whenever

Warmly and cozily

If you leave, you’ll miss me, when it’s hard, you’ll think of me

I’ll be your home

 

Every time she found the perfect notes, she would stop for a moment to write it down, before she continued playing again while humming the unfinished song. It would be hers to record for the next album, if the company’s producer approved it. With the thought of that, and the unstoppable lines running in her head, she kept working on her newest composition.

The company gave her a week free of schedules before the recording started. Tiffany used the week off to just stay at her apartment, composing and resting. She rarely went out, only if she needed some fresh air she’d go late at night to drive around the city, sometimes stopping at her favorite bookstore if nobody followed her. Overall, it was a peaceful week.

“Okay,”

She mumbled at herself when she finally wrote the last line. It was finished. She only needed to record it as a demo before she sent it to the producer. She was pretty confident these past years. When she was still a rookie until even three years into her career, she didn’t get a chance to participate in her album making. But now that she was a well-known senior, she was free to create her own color in her songs.

Her fingers started dancing on the piano as she sang the song back from the start,

 

Put away your worries for a second, only think of happy thoughts

Each minute, each second is precious, when I’m looking at you

I know, the world is so difficult

I always want a healthy you

Put down everything and hug yourself

 

So you can comfortably come back whenever

Warmly and cozily

If you leave, you’ll miss me, when it’s hard, you’ll think of me

I’ll be your--

 

She almost jumped when her phone suddenly buzzed loudly.

A muffled groan was all she could mutter when she had to stop singing. She kind of hated it when someone, or something, disturbed her in times like this. She thought she had told almost everyone not to disturb her for the week. Luckily the song was already finished.

Sighing, she grasped her phone. What did Sunny, or Jihoon, want this time?

But it wasn’t them.

Tiffany froze instantly reading the name on the screen. Impossible. They hadn’t talked since… forever. And it was pretty late. Why would Lim Yoona call her this late at night when they hadn’t even talked since that Jeju breakup?

She realized that she stared for too long when the buzzing stopped before she picked up the call. She put her phone abruptly on the piano, still in disbelief. A hand went up to her chest, because her heart was beating, hard. What was that? Lim Yoona just called her, and she didn’t pick up. Was it something important? Or even urgent? Now she kind of felt bad that she didn’t--

Once again she almost jumped from her seat when her phone let out a familiar, constant buzz. The same name appeared on the screen. Tiffany carefully looked at the screen and bit her lip. It’s okay, she said to herself. She would only have to talk.

Right.

With a deep breath, she pressed the green button and brought the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

No answer.

“Hello?” She tried again.

There was an unclear rustling noise before she heard a hum, followed with,

“Tiffany,”

It was really her. Lim Yoona.

Hearing her voice made Tiffany unconsciously gulp. She kind of sounded different, but it was still her, nonetheless. It had been really while. Tiffany also hadn’t seen her often, be it on TV or in person. They had drifted so far. So this absurd phone call late at night surely confused the singer. She hoped Lim Yoona actually had a proper reason.

“Yes, it’s me. What is it, Unnie?”

She could hear a light laugh with another greeting, “Tiffany,”

Tiffany frowned. Okay, that was weird.

“Unnie--”

“You know what?”

When the actress cut her, she waited, but there was only silence.

“What?”

“Ugh, it’s spinning… damn it.”

She frowned deeper, “Unnie, what are you--”

“Do you miss me?”

She ignored the question because Lim Yoona sounded so, so weird to be called sober, “Are you drunk?”

“Hmm… is that a yes…”

Tiffany sighed. Lim Yoona was indeed drunk, “Okay, where are you? Stop drinking now or you’ll get too drunk--”

“What? Turn right? Huh… this screen told me to turn right…”

Her eyes widened, “Are you driving?!”

“So I turned right…”

“Unnie, are you driving?!”

“Ah, I can see the building,” She giggled, “which floor do you live, honey?”

“Oh my God, are you crazy?! Stop right there, okay? Stop driving! I’ll pick you up!”

“Huh? But I’m almost there,”

“Please.” She stood up and half ran to grab her coat, “Tell me where you are and I’ll go there. Stop driving. Please.”

“Alright… there, there, I’ve stopped… are you here?”

“How am I supposed to know that you’ve stopped…” Tiffany gritted her teeth.

“You don’t believe me?”

“Okay, listen to me, I’ll hang up now but you have to pick my video call, okay? Show me where you are, I’ll go there. Okay?”

Another no answer.

“Unnie!”

“Yea, yea, I heard you, I heard you… calm down…”

But of course she couldn’t calm herself down. She quickly rushed to wherever Lim Yoona was, hanging on the blurry and shaky video call.

-

Turned out the actress indeed drove from wherever she had been, to Tiffany’s apartment. She was already close so Tiffany went by walking, or running, to be exact. Fortunately, she was still sober enough to listen to the singer and stopped driving. Tiffany found her car on the side of the street, and found the actress on the driver seat, her face red and her speech blabbering.

She had to hold her embarrassment when she brought the actress to her apartment and asked a security to help her carrying the drunk woman to her room. Lim Yoona didn’t live there so she didn’t question the security’s curious and also shocked looks seeing them. They stopped in front of her room, and Tiffany had to bring the woman inside herself.

With Lim Yoona’s arm on her shoulders, she guided her in patiently. Her foot kicked the door closed and they stumbled in. It was her very first time encountering a drunk Lim Yoona. The actress was usually very calm and reserved. That time she was the exact opposite. She couldn’t stay silent, kept talking, kept giggling, like a little kid.

“Okay,”

They finally reached Tiffany’s bed and the singer lied Lim Yoona down. When she was about to pull the blanket over the actress, Lim Yoona suddenly grasped both her cheeks and pulled her down for a kiss. Tiffany quickly pushed her away before their lips touched.

“Unnie,” She sighed.

“What, why?” Yoona giggled, again, “I miss you…”

Another pull for a kiss, another tired push because they just couldn’t. Not anymore.

“You’re drunk.”

There was a slight disappointment on Lim Yoona’s eyes and that made Tiffany didn’t refuse or pull away when the former wrapped her arms around her neck, making her had to bend down uncomfortably because she was still standing.

The actress sighed, her fingers grasped loosely on the back of Tiffany’s shirt collar.

“You don’t miss me.”

Tiffany felt her heart kind of drop seeing Lim Yoona’s expression when she said that. She was about to say something soothing but the actress’ ringing phone was faster.

Sloppily, Lim Yoona pulled her hands from Tiffany and took her phone from her handbag. She basically threw everything out to find it. She then looked at the screen, but instead of picking up, she giggled instead, for the nth time already.

Still giggling, she showed the screen to Tiffany above her, with an index finger on her lips, “Don’t tell her.”

And Tiffany couldn’t be more speechless.

After the phone ring ended, along with her giggle, Lim Yoona fell asleep. Tiffany sighed, sitting down carefully on the bed after pulling the blanket to cover the unconscious actress. She stared at her in silence. She had never seen this Lim Yoona. Why did she do this? Was it solely because of Tiffany? But their breakup was basically months ago. And knowing her, Lim Yoona should’ve moved on way faster than Tiffany.

Realizing she wouldn’t get an answer by keep staring, Tiffany decided to just go to sleep. She tidied the bed first, before putting Lim Yoona’s belongings back into her handbag. But she stopped when she was about to grab the phone from the actress’ grip.

It started ringing again.

Tiffany slowly took it from Lim Yoona, afraid if it might wake her up, and looked at the screen. Don’t tell her. Tiffany bit her lip, contemplating. She waited, and waited, until finally the caller gave up and the ringing stopped.

With another sigh she put both the handbag and the phone on the nightstand before walking away, sighing for the nth time.

Let’s just pretend she didn’t read Krystal Jung’s name on that screen, twice.

-

Tiffany’s hand was busy drying her messy hair with the towel as she stepped out from the bathroom, fully clothed. It was unusual for her wearing clothes right after shower instead of a bathrobe but because someone else was with her that morning, she decided to do the safer way. She also had to sleep on the couch, and unluckily almost fell down that it woke her up a little bit too early.

Good morning. I know you haven’t woken up when I sent this.

She chuckled reading the text. Jessica said good morning too early and too late for good night. But it didn’t matter, since it had become a daily routine for both of them, texting each other for communicating purposes.

The singer peeked at the sleeping actress on her bed, before she replied the text.

Nah, you’re wrong this time. Good morning to you too. Had breakfast yet?

She bit her lip as she put her phone down. Jessica reminded her of someone.

Krystal Jung.

There was definitely something going on between Lim Yoona and Krystal. But if they were in a relationship, why did Lim Yoona run to her instead of Krystal? What did the actress want from her? They hadn’t contacted each other at all.

That was absurd.

Her train of thoughts stopped when her phone buzzed.

I already had. Don’t forget yours. Love you.

Tiffany smiled.

Her fingers were busy typing when she noticed Lim Yoona moving.

Sure, sure. Love you too.

She quickly pressed the send button before she quickly rushed to the bed. Lim Yoona had her eyes pinched shut and a hand on her forehead. Right, hangover.

“Here, here. Drink this.”

Tiffany handed her a pill and a glass of water. She sat down on the bed, patiently waiting. Minutes passed, and it looked like the hangover Lim Yoona had slowly became more bearable.

“Tiffany?” The actress looked at her with a slight frown.

“Yeah, me.” Tiffany answered, “Good morning, Unnie.”

“How…” Lim Yoona looked around, still frowning, “how could I…”

“Long story short, you were drunk driving heading here, but I stopped you, and I brought you here.” She stood up, “Now, let’s eat breakfast. I’ll cook something for you.”

Tiffany didn’t give any more explanation as she stood up and walked to the kitchen with a muffled sigh, fortunately missing the way Lim Yoona’s expression changed seeing the cold, unusual her.

-

A lot of things had changed, for sure.

If this were in the past, Tiffany would’ve treated Lim Yoona like a princess. There was no way she would act like the current her. She wouldn’t be silent all the time like this, speaking in a cold tone like this, or busied herself with the food instead of asking how Lim Yoona was like this.

At the moment, she felt uncomfortable instead. Well, was it actually appropriate being with an ex in her apartment, while she was already in a relationship? Even though they didn’t do anything, it didn’t feel right, at all.

Tiffany slowed her munching when she caught Lim Yoona was eating very hesitantly. She kind of felt bad for treating her this cold. But she was also in no mood to be overly nice like she used to.

“Unnie, please eat.” She said, breaking their awkward silence, “I know you’re hungry.”

Lim Yoona didn’t answer, but she started eating faster.

When Tiffany finished eating, she stood up to put the dirty plates under the faucet. She turned it on, washing her hands. There was only one thing that kept bugging her mind. Krystal. She needed to talk about Krystal.

“Unnie,”

After turning off the faucet, she turned around. Lim Yoona looked up at her, waiting for her to say something.

“What is your relationship with Krystal Jung?”

There was a slight frown but it soon disappeared. The actress put down her spoon as she gulped her food and answered, or mumbled,

“You know her.”

It wasn’t a question.

“Yes, I do. So… what are you guys?”

“I thought it’s none of your business.”

The cold tone was unfamiliar but it didn’t budge Tiffany.

“It caught my curiosity when she called you, twice, last night.” Tiffany said, boldly, “And Krystal isn’t the type to call people often. I’m sure of that.”

“So you know her that well.”

“Yes.” The constant distraction started to annoy her, “Are you guys actually in a relationship?”

Seeing how persistent Tiffany was, probably, made Lim Yoona slowly shake her head and stared down to the dining table.

So, they weren’t in a relationship? Was this like her case all over again?

“You don’t take her seriously.” Tiffany concluded.

Like what you did to me.

Lim Yoona loudly sighed and stared up at her again, “Why do you think I came here last night, Tiffany?”

A frown, “How can I know?”

“Are you mad at me over Krystal?”

Of course, “Unnie, you--”

“If I say it’s because of you, will you believe it?”

Tiffany’s frown got deeper.

“You really don’t realize it, do you? That I really like you until the point I don’t take anyone else seriously?”

Tiffany couldn’t take it when she looked at Lim Yoona’s eyes so she quickly looked down, sighing. Lim Yoona said she really liked her that she didn’t take anyone else, or maybe only Krystal but who knows, seriously. Was she blaming her? It wasn’t even her fault.

“After what I did last night, whatever it was until I ended up here, do you still doubt how I feel toward you?”

“Unnie,” Tiffany crossed her arms, still avoiding Lim Yoona’s eyes, “you shouldn’t be doing this to Krystal. She’s my friend and I care for her. And about us… we… can’t be together, Unnie. We can’t.”

“Why can’t we?”

“I’m with someone else.”

Tiffany clenched her fists as she bravely stared straight at Lim Yoona’s eyes. It was impossible. They were not going back together. Tiffany swore she had never once thought of that. It was enough. She had enough of uncertainty and inconsistence in their past relationship, if it was counted as one.

Lim Yoona didn’t say anything as she stood up, grabbed her belongings, and hurriedly walked to the door. Tiffany only watched as the actress grasped the doorknob and pushed the door open, soon leaving her alone.

And she didn’t realize how suffocating it was until Lim Yoona was gone.

****

I basically write the story on Tiffany's point of view, so... what do you think of Yoona's feeling? Does she really like her or...

And the song above is from BoA's Home. Her Kiss My Lips album is really nice, definitely recommended!!