One Thing in Common

Eyes Don't Tell Me Lies

Actress A once again made a fuss. This time, it involves singer B. Insiders reported that they have been seeing each other, but their relationship status is unclear. Apparently, singer B was also once spotted walking out of actress A’s apartment early in the morning after a late night party. Are they really an item, or is singer B only a temporary fling for actress A?

With a loud hiss, Tiffany dropped her hand that was holding her phone. She leaned her head onto the wall and sighed deeply. It was early in the morning when she headed to her company’s building. Unluckily, she bumped to a stalker fan, which was sulking, and suggested her to read the newest rumor mill.

Okay, now Tiffany understood why that fan was sulking. She, too, didn’t feel any better.

Such a great timing, she thought. This rumor definitely discussed about her and Lim Yoona, who else? And it came out after she actually had ended her whatever-relationship with the actress. Tiffany thought she would be safe. It had been more than two weeks since that so-called Jeju breakup, and she hadn’t met the actress since then.

The rumor came out way too late. But it wasn’t less risky.

Tiffany wouldn’t deny that she had a quite hard time after the breakup. Because it seemed like Lim Yoona was really, like really, upset with her. She probably deleted Tiffany’s number. And if they met later in the future, probably both of them would act like they never knew each other.

Yes, Tiffany missed her. It was undeniable.

But at the same time, if Tiffany remembered about the breakup, it also reminded her of the events afterward. With Jessica Jung.

Which could make her feel better a bit.

The same thing went for her and Jessica. They hadn’t met since their unexpected time in Jeju. The next morning after the breakup, Tiffany found out that Jessica had flown back to Seoul. She felt kind of upset because Jessica didn’t tell her, but then again, why should she? It wasn’t like they were close or something.

With another sigh, Tiffany brought both hands to her face, her eyes squeezed shut. It indeed felt weird, feeling upset and happy at the same time.

-

It was on Wednesday when Tiffany decided to visit Krystal, in the mall. She had no schedules and her feelings hadn’t got better even a bit from the day she read the rumor mill. Sunny let her so she went there by herself with her own car. She didn’t care whether Krystal was busy or not, if she only could sit and stare at the working blonde girl, she didn’t even mind. It’s a good thing she still had that privilege.

It was kind of difficult since she had to hide from the people. She walked inside and quickly headed to the secluded elevators. Luckily there was no one who recognized her.

When she arrived on the 6th floor, the employees greeted her warmly as usual and told her to just get to Krystal’s room. Krystal herself was busy somewhere else, but she would be back in a moment, they said. Tiffany complied and without knocking, entered Krystal’s huge working room.

The sight she caught inside made her gasp in surprise.

There was the older Jung, lying on the couch, sleeping. Tiffany blinked a few times, maybe she was day-dreaming, but apparently, it was real. Jessica was there. Sleeping on the couch with her arms crossed. Tiffany looked around the room, and there was no one but Jessica there. She carefully walked in after she closed the door behind her slowly.

Jessica was wearing her usual working clothes, and she looked kind of pale. Tiffany frowned as she bent down. Jessica’s forehead was lightly creased. Tiffany knew the older Jung wasn’t sleeping well.

Tiffany didn’t think twice as she kneeled and brought the back of her hand to Jessica’s forehead. She frowned even more. Jessica had a fever.

In all sudden, Jessica’s eyes snapped open. Tiffany gasped.

They both stared at each other, in silence, with somehow Tiffany’s hand still placed on Jessica’s burning forehead. Those eyes, Tiffany silently flinched. It looked so tired yet didn’t lose its attractiveness, somehow. Tiffany needed a couple of seconds to gather her consciousness.

“I’m sorry, I--”

Tiffany tried to pull her hand away, but Jessica quickly held her wrist. The latter’s grip felt too warm to be called normal. Jessica definitely wasn’t in a good condition.

Just then the door swung open.

“Hey gorgeous, long time no-- oh.”

Both Tiffany and Jessica turned their heads to the voice, which was Krystal. She smirked seeing her sister and Tiffany.

“Am I interrupting something?” She asked with her eyebrows raised.

“I fell asleep…”

Jessica then mumbled as she let go of Tiffany’s wrist and sat up, immediately brought her hand to her head. The playful Krystal turned serious seeing her sister.

“Hey, are you okay?” She bent down, lightly massaged Jessica’s shoulder, “You don’t look good. You can sleep again if you want.”

“No, no, can’t. I got to go back.”

Ignoring Krystal, Jessica hurriedly stood up and grabbed her belongings.

“Oh come on, rest a bit. I’ll drive you home.”

Jessica shook her head, her eyes pinched shut but she stubbornly made her way out of Krystal’s room, “Just take care of your job.”

The blonde was about to argue but Jessica was faster. She opened the door and walked out. Krystal sighed, her hands on her hips.

“That hot headed daughter of a-- oh, gorgeous!” She then realized Tiffany was still there, standing in mum seeing both sisters, “Can you help me? I have a meeting in like, fifteen minutes and if I skip it my sister will be furious as heck so, can you please persuade her not to go back to work? She’s sick, she could faint in any moment.”

“Me?” Tiffany pointed at herself.

“Yes, you. Who else? Come on, it’s not like I don’t love her, or I love my job more but… please? Please?”

“O-okay, I’ll get her.” Tiffany nodded and Krystal soon lightly pushed her to chase Jessica.

“Great! Good luck, gorgeous! Bye!”

When Tiffany walked out and searched for Jessica, the woman was already in front of the elevator, waiting. Hurriedly, Tiffany ran to her and she made inside the elevator with Jessica in time before the doors closed.

Jessica frowned seeing her.

“Stephanie?”

Tiffany cringed as she heard the unusual hoarse voice.

“You know you can’t go to work, right?” She said, confidently.

Jessica shook her head and it looked painful, “Did my sister tell you to--”

“I planned to stay in Krystal’s office for a while since I don’t have any schedule today. But she has a meeting soon and what am I going to do there, then? Come on, Jessica. Skipping work for one day won’t hurt much.”

“No, I can’t. I have--”

“Let’s just cancel it and do it when you get better. You’re the boss, right? It won’t be matter if you cancel things because of your condition.”

“Yes, but--”

Suddenly, the elevator dinged but they hadn’t arrived in the first floor yet. Tiffany gasped. People would come in and she hadn’t put on her masker. But when the doors opened and the people outside appeared, Tiffany felt a hand pulling her to hide behind the owner’s back.

“It was really good! We should go there again later…”

A bunch of girls entered the elevator and luckily, they didn’t pay much attention to Jessica and a hiding Tiffany behind Jessica’s back. They chatted about food and it filled the silence in the elevator. Tiffany felt Jessica’s grip on her wrist, hiding her from the oblivious girls. Tiffany sighed in relieve. She buried her face slightly on Jessica’s shoulder, her hand also holding Jessica in place because she realized how weak the latter was.

-

“I said we have to go to the hospital!”

“No, I said no, it’s just a fever, it’s nothing big.”

Tiffany sighed as she made a right turn. They made it to Tiffany’s car without anyone noticed the singer. Tiffany insisted them both to take her car because it would take much time if they waited for Jessica’s driver. Jessica couldn’t refuse when Tiffany dragged her to her car, because she had basically no strength that day.

And they were at the moment, arguing about going to the hospital.

“Okay then if you don’t want to go there, where should we go?”

Jessica pointed to the front, “My office is not far from here.”

“Really, you.” Tiffany gritted her teeth and slapped Jessica’s hand, “We’re not going there and that’s final. You need to rest. Just look at yourself!”

“Stephanie, you don’t have to--”

“Just be quiet or-- wait, are you cold?!”

Tiffany then noticed the way Jessica hugged herself tight. The temperature was normal, but Jessica continuously letting out heavy breaths to warm herself.

“Here, here.” The singer quickly grasped a blanket from the backseat. She always brought that everywhere, “Make yourself warm. You’re clearly sick, for God’s sake.”

Jessica didn’t respond as she wrapped the blanket around herself.

“We’re totally not going to your office, Jessica.”

“And not to the hospital or to my house.” Jessica said in a hurried breath before she coughed.

“Wait, why not your house?”

“My daughter will find out.”

Tiffany sighed. She bit her lip, thinking to where they should go. She suddenly got an idea.

“Then let’s just go to my place.”

The singer didn’t give a chance for Jessica to protest as she turned their direction to her place. It wasn’t far, and it was pretty much closer than to the Jungs’ house. Tiffany tried to adjust the temperature, even suggested to turn on the heater, but Jessica refused. They soon would arrive anyway, it didn’t matter.

Tiffany didn’t care about the strange stares she got when she reached her apartment. Well, she, a singer, was dragging the businesswoman Jessica Jung with her. It wasn’t a common sight. It wasn’t any better in the elevator, where she met other people from the apartment. She could only give an awkward smile as she held Jessica close to her.

The moment they reached her huge room, she quickly, rather harshly, pushed Jessica onto the bed. The latter seemed had lost all her strength since she didn’t even refuse a bit.

“Okay, what do you usually do when you’re sick?” Tiffany asked, as she tucked Jessica as comfortable as possible on her bed.

“Stephanie, I…”

“Just answer it!” She snapped, lightly slapped Jessica’s forearm, “I’m not a doctor, I can’t read your mind.”

“I just…” Jessica gulped heavily, must be hurt, “sleep.”

“Sleep?” Tiffany repeated, and Jessica nodded, “Okay, then. Go to sleep now.”

“But I--”

“It’s fine, Jessica. Trust me, I have no schedules today. I have basically nothing to do. Please, just sleep. It’s okay.”

Because Jessica didn’t have any strength to argue, she complied. She dozed off not long after Tiffany took off her blazer and wrapped the thick blanket around her. Tiffany then also took off her high heels and gathered her belongings on the table beside the bed. After she had finished tidying, she slowly sat down on the bed, observing Jessica.

So this is how it felt like taking care of a sick person.

It was weird indeed, thinking about it. She just went to the mall to meet Krystal, but was greeted by the sick Jessica instead, and ended back to her apartment, staring at the sleeping older Jung. Tiffany knew exactly how it felt forcing yourself to keep working even though the body refused. It never ended well. She would neglect even more activities in the end. So when she felt sick, she would rest a bit first.

She then brought the back of her hand to Jessica’s forehead, which was still burning. She cringed. The temperature hadn’t lowered down. How could Jessica even think of going back to work with this condition? Didn’t she even feel dizzy by just seeing words on the papers? Because Tiffany obviously did every time she was sick.

With a sigh, she brushed Jessica’s hair off of her face. It was obvious that Jessica was a workaholic, who probably didn’t even have a time to take care of herself.

Her train of thoughts stopped when she heard her phone buzzing. There was a phone call from Krystal.

“Hello?”

“Hi! How’s my sister?”

Tiffany turned her head to Jessica, “She’s sleeping. We’re at my place now.”

“Oh…” Krystal let out a long ‘oh’, “That’s really so kind of you, gorgeous. I’m really sorry if she’s bothering you.”

“No, no, it’s okay. She’s not a bother. Even though I admit she’s way too stubborn.”

A chuckle, “I know, right? That’s just how she is. I’m sorry about that.”

“That’s fine. But, what should I do now? I mean, I don’t know what she usually does when she falls sick. She said she just needed to sleep but--”

“Nah, she’s right. She only needs some deep sleep that probably would last for hours, then eat some delicious food, and then bam, she’s cured. Believe me, you don’t need to give her medicines or special treatments.”

“Alright, then…” Tiffany nodded her head, feeling relieved somehow.

“Thank you for your help, gorgeous. Like, really, thank you.”

Tiffany smiled and nodded, she kept silent because she felt like Krystal wanted to say something more.

“My sister is… well, she doesn’t easily fall sick actually.” Krystal continued, “Even when she’s super busy and barely sleeps, she still stands fine. It’s just… when something, outside of work, doesn’t work out…”

Tiffany frowned. Outside of work?

“She has been busy. Something is bothering her. Well… I don’t know how to explain it but, the point is, something isn’t right for her. That’s why she’s sick. So being sick is like, a sign that something goes wrong.”

“So there’s something wrong?”

“Yeah, you can say it like that.” Krystal sounded hesitating, “Uh… I don’t know why I’m saying this but, I just want to thank you for taking care of her. She tends to hide herself when she’s sick. Yeah, you know, stubborn and all. I guess she’s pretty bad because she absurdly barged into my office and dozed off on the couch earlier.”

Tiffany nodded again. Yes, definitely, Jessica’s condition was pretty bad.

“Ugh, I’m blabbering again. Sorry about that.” Tiffany could hear Krystal’s muffled sigh, “Anyway, later when she’s awake, please call me. Ask her what she wants to eat. I’ll get it for her. You just need to text your address. And oh, tell her not to worry because I’ll also take care of her scheduled appointments today.”

“Alright. Will do.”

“Okay. Sorry and thank you again, gorgeous.”

“Yeah. Anytime, Krystal.”

Tiffany put her phone down on the table before she eyed Jessica again. The latter still looked somehow, uncomfortable. Her forehead was still slightly creased. Her breaths were heavy. She hugged herself so tight under the blanket. Slowly, Tiffany tightened the blanket around Jessica to make her warmer.

It was by instinct when Tiffany lied down beside Jessica, facing her. She observed that tired face before she softly pressed her finger on Jessica’s forehead, hoping to fade that crease. She rubbed it softly. Jessica’s skin was still too warm under her fingertip.

As she watched the woman sleeping, she felt her own eyes became heavier. She let her hand went down to Jessica’s side as she closed her eyes, because then again, a good sleep was also rare for her.

-

A buzzing voice disturbed Tiffany.

When she opened her eyes, she had a mini heart attack because the first thing she saw was Jessica, sleeping beside her. But then she remembered the events earlier that Jessica was sick and had to sleep at her place, on her bed. It wasn’t something strange. Well, it was strange but Jessica was sick and a sick person should just rest. Right.

Tiffany pulled her hand that was on Jessica’s side, and grasped her phone. But the buzzing voice didn’t stop. It wasn’t her phone.

Still trying to gain some of her consciousness, Tiffany sat up and looked around. Was it Jessica’s phone?

Groggily, she stood up and walked to the table where she placed Jessica’s belongings. The voice came from there. She mindlessly roamed Jessica’s handbag and she was right, it was Jessica’s phone that woke her up. And it hadn’t stopped buzzing. So she took it, in case it was Krystal or someone she knew who called.

Tiffany’s eyes narrowed as she read the caller’s name. Lawyer Kim.

She quickly put the phone back inside. Okay, it was a lawyer. Whatever it was, Tiffany wouldn’t pick it up. She let the phone buzzed for a few more minutes, before finally it stopped. She sighed in relieve.

When she finally had gathered all her consciousness, she realized her room was kind of dark. She peeked at the window and the sun was disappearing. So it was a good deep sleep indeed. It had been quite a while since she had a sleep with such quality. She still had that annoying insomnia. So when she slept well, she considered it as a blessing.

She then smiled in satisfy as she turned around and started stretching.

That was when she saw Jessica moved slightly.

Tiffany hurriedly sat down on the bed where she lied earlier. Jessica was waking up. She rubbed her eyes and hummed lowly. Tiffany held her smile. She found it… cute.

And as expected, Jessica’s eyes showed how surprised she was waking up in someone else’s room.

“Hi.” Tiffany greeted her with a smile, “How was your sleep?”

Jessica blinked a few times before she mumbled, “Stephanie?”

“Yeah, me. Don’t say you don’t remember. You’re sick and I brought you here. We didn’t do anything, trust me.”

“Ah, right.” Jessica nodded.

“How’s your fever?”

Tiffany placed the back on her hand on Jessica’s forehead and her smile widened instantly because the fever had gone away.

“Wow, your temperature literally lowered down a lot.” She said, “And you’re sweaty. You’re not feeling cold anymore, right?”

“No, I’m not.” Jessica shook her head as Tiffany pulled her hand back. She shoved the blanket away and her body was indeed sweaty, “Wow right, I’m all sweaty. And I’m feeling better now. Thank you, Stephanie.”

Tiffany then called Krystal after Jessica said what she wanted to eat, which was Japanese food, and Krystal told her that she’d send it to the singer’s apartment. They both waited for the food in mostly silence because Jessica as usual, didn’t talk much. Tiffany was sitting on the dining table when she noticed Jessica was eyeing her phone anxiously.

Did she see those missed-calls from Lawyer Kim? Tiffany silently watched as Jessica sighed deeply, hand gripping the phone so tight. She suddenly remembered what Krystal said to her earlier. That when Jessica was sick, it meant that there was something wrong.

She hid her curious expression when Jessica put her phone down and joined Tiffany, sitting across her. Jessica indeed looked way better than before. At least she was feeling better.

“Jessica?”

Tiffany started, and Jessica lifted her head. Her unreadable expression slowly made Tiffany’s curiosity boiling.

“Are you okay?”

Jessica nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine now.”

Tiffany held her cringe. That’s not what I meant.

“No, I mean,” The singer repeated, “are you okay?”

Jessica looked at her, eyes straight at hers, and this time Tiffany didn’t budge or look away. She felt like Jessica knew what she meant, and even though Tiffany didn’t exactly know what was wrong, but at least she could guess that there indeed was something wrong, something that was disturbing Jessica.

Oh well, those eyes had more wonders than what Tiffany had expected.

It took a very long five seconds to Jessica to turn her gaze away from Tiffany with a muffled sigh. She tapped her fingers on the table, eyes looking emptily to somewhere else that wasn’t the singer.

“You know,” When Tiffany started again, Jessica didn’t even bother to look at her, but she continued, “I still owe you pretty a lot. You helped me in Jeju, remember?”

Jessica half-smiled, “Yeah.”

Tiffany waited for Jessica if she had something more to say, but there wasn’t any.

“Okay, so… what’s bothering you?” She asked again, trying to sound as casual as she could, “I may not the best help you can get but I’m a quite good listener.”

Jessica’s smile slightly widened. She leaned her back onto the backrest and crossed her arms. Tiffany waited impatiently. Well, Jessica was obviously contemplating whether to tell the singer or not. But in this position, she basically had no choice.

“Someone…” Tiffany felt slightly surprised when she heard Jessica mumbled, “someone wants to take my daughter away.”

Tiffany gasped, “What?!”

She then mentally slapped herself afterward. Okay, that was a stupid reaction.

But Jessica only nodded weakly, lifting her head to stare at Tiffany.

“Well…” Tiffany tried to look not too surprised but she failed miserably, “that .”

Jessica muffled a laugh, amused at Tiffany’s choice of word, “It does.”

Tiffany learned that Jessica was calm, like too calm. She just told Tiffany that someone wanted to take her daughter away, repeat, her daughter. Shouldn’t she freak out? Well, that probably would be inappropriate since she was with Tiffany but still… she was too calm and Tiffany felt like it was her own daughter instead because she felt panic in all sudden.

“So, who? I mean, how? I mean--”

“I don’t know.” Jessica shook her head, “I should’ve seen it coming. I should’ve known that he wouldn’t let go.”

He. Was Jessica talking about Jamie’s father?

“You mean… the uh… the father?”

Jessica nodded.

Tiffany’s lips slightly parted in awe. So it meant that Jamie was indeed Jessica’s biological daughter, and there was the father, whoever he was, wanting to take Jamie away.

That sounded like a drama coming true.

“How could he?” Tiffany started blabbering, “I mean, it’s been decided that you get the rights of your daughter, right? Why would he want to take your daughter away? Isn’t the court’s decision non-negotiable?”

“Court?” Jessica frowned.

“Yeah, court. When you… uh, divorced.”

Jessica chuckled, “Divorce? I’ve never even married, Stephanie.”

Tiffany once again gaped in surprise. So Jessica had a daughter… outside of marriage?

“He doesn’t want her.” Jessica continued, “Jamie, I mean. He doesn’t want her, he won’t take care of her. He just pretends he does because he wants my money. That bastard.”

With that Jessica put both elbows on the table and sighed deeply, her palms covering her face. Tiffany sat down in silence, didn’t know exactly what to do after knowing that fact. Jessica might be calm, but she couldn’t hide her frustration, because then again, it was her daughter they were talking about, not just someone else.

Tiffany then stood up and bent down to hug Jessica from behind. Jessica grasped her arm and leaned onto her, sighing for the nth time. Tiffany herself somehow felt relieved, she didn’t know why, but hugging Jessica did things to her that she couldn’t comprehend. It was comforting, soothing, indescribable.

The problem wasn’t just about the money, Tiffany concluded. It was Jamie’s father, Jessica’s past lover, even though they didn’t tie the knot. It was all about feelings. Jessica’s feelings.

And now Tiffany could start to understand why Jessica hid her daughter to the world.

“What you said to me back in Jeju,” Tiffany whispered, “I didn’t expect someone like you to understand me. Out of all people I’ve encountered, I didn’t expect you to be one of the rare. You don’t know how grateful I am toward those rare people, including you. And how I want to at least, do the same for them.”

She tightened her hug, her chin on Jessica’s shoulder.

“I may not the one who can understand you the most, but I hope you won’t hesitate in sharing anything in your mind to me. Because you know, we have that one thing in common. That we lack in having other people to trust.”

Jessica turned her head and stared at Tiffany, that slight smile that had officially become Tiffany’s favorite appeared, and the singer couldn’t help but feel something fluttering inside her, in seeing Jessica this close.

“Thank you, Stephanie. Thank you.”

It was all combined into one when Tiffany pulled Jessica even closer and buried her face in between Jessica’s shoulder and neck. The way Jessica clutched onto her erased Tiffany’s doubt away. It didn’t feel strange, it didn’t feel weird anymore.

It felt nothing but right.

****

Merry christmas, JeTidals!! :)