Yes

Twin Stars

Her head felt like breaking into two and her vision was blurring because of lack of sleep. But Eunbyeol continued walking to her destination that early morning. As she passed by a fashion shop with a tinted glass, she noticed her reflection.

 

She was wearing a blue faded denim button up and tight black jeans, which she paired up with her old yet favorite pair of Converse. It was her usual get-up whenever she feels like going out of the house for some light errands or relaxing walk. All this time, she thought it was fine; but as she stared at her reflection, it looked plain.

 

She looked ordinary.

 

A pout formed on her lips due to that realization, but carried on with what she ought to do. Taking away her gaze from the mocking image in front of her, she continued her steps until she reached the coffee shop in the corner of the street.

 

“Good morning, Eunbyeol-ssi,” one staff greeted her with a smile. The newcomer returned the favor and waved a little in acknowledgement as she headed to her favorite place, the corner table behind the wooden divider. It is adjacent to the window but was hidden from the view of other customers inside the café.

 

As soon as she sat on the couch, the waiter who greeted her came and stood smart beside the table. There was nothing in his hand, not even a menu. “Would you like the usual?” He asked.

 

Eunbyeol smiled gratefully. Though it had been a long time since she came to the place, the staff still remembered her. “Yes, please,” she replied courteously.

 

The staff member nodded and turned to leave; but he immediately turned back as if he remembered something, catching the female customer’s attention. “Will Junmyeon-ssi be coming too?” There was a sound of teasing in his voice.

 

Upon hearing the name of her best friend, the girl’s heart went on a rampage in her chest. Her lips trembled a little and her hands felt cold all of a sudden. “Y-yes, h-he’s coming,” she stuttered. “I-I think y-you should add his u-usual to m-my order.”

 

Feeling accomplished, the waiter smiled once more and nodded. “Alright, I’ll serve it in fifteen to twenty minutes,” he declared as he skipped back to the kitchen.

 

She brought a hand to her chest to feel the thundering heartbeats there. Is this how it should beat when I finally admit that I like him? She questioned herself. When she sent a message to Junmyeon that they should meet at their favorite hangout, she never thought she’d actually felt this kind of emotions. Hyped up? Excited? Does this really mean what it seems to be?

 

The door chimes rang softly signaling that someone had entered the cozy café. Eunbyeol immediately looked at the door and noticed that it was actually her best friend, Kim Junmyeon. He was wearing a plain white shirt and ripped vintage jeans, paired with Converse too; but he looked so elegant still. In a way, it made the girl feel insecure, but the thought immediately vanished as he felt a peck on her forehead. It was a common thing but that moment, Eunbyeol felt like there were a thousand butterflies fluttering inside her stomach.

 

“Did you wait long?” Junmyeon asked as he settled at the couch adjacent to her. He smiled the most beautiful smile and for a moment, it felt like he was shining. Time seemed to have slowed down and all there is was him.

 

Eunbyeol blinked and the imagination disappeared. “N-No,” she stammered. “I have just arrived actually.”

 

Once again, the guy smiled and nodded. “That’s good,” he complimented. “I assumed you ordered for me already so what are we going to talk about?” He asked as he put his arm around the couch, behind Eunbyeol.

 

The girl stiffened at the slightest touch of their skin but she wouldn’t let him notice it. Thankfully, he really didn’t.

 

“I-I did,” she stuttered once more.

 

Junmyeon let out soft chuckles as he fixed his eyes on the girl beside him. “Why are you buckling?” He asked, completely unaware of the effect he has on his best friend.

 

The color of red flushed on Eunbyeol’s cheeks and looked down on the table. “I’m n-not,” she tried to deny but failed nevertheless.

 

Again, chortles were heard and it warmed her heart at once. It was her favorite sound in the world, because it sounds so sincere, so unique, so lovely. Why won’t it be though? It came from her favorite person in the world… and soon-to-be husband.

 

“Junmyeon,” she suddenly called him and the air turned serious at once. The guy, being sensitive about the situation, stopped laughing and looked at the woman. In his face was an encouraging look, with hints of hope that they’ll be talking about what he wanted them to talk about.

 

Eunbyeol shut her eyes and took a deep breath. “I’ve thought about it and I know I asked for two weeks but it’s only a week and I realized that I should already give you my decision about this proposal thing and—“

 

“Please go direct to the point. The suspense is killing me,” Junmyeon cut her off. “Will you marry me or not?”

 

It sounded like he’s demanding but that very moment, he’s not. If any, he was pleading. He was begging for his best friend to accept the proposal because it was his only hope, his only option to save the company. The young man knows that it’s just Cho Eunbyeol or no one else. He trusts her so much for this.

 

Once again, the girl heaved a deep sigh. “Yes, I’m marrying you,” she finally said it.

 

Junmyeon let out his breath which he didn’t realize he had been holding in for seconds already. His best friend agreed to the marriage. He is getting married. He’s finally getting married. The thought elicited mixed emotions and thoughts at once, but the most important thing is that Eunbyeol agreed to push through with the plan and this means salvation for the law firm. That means that that very moment, he has to be happy.

 

The next thing they know, the girl was already enclosed in the tightest embrace her best friend had ever given her. As soon as she realized it, butterflies were already fluttering inside her stomach, giving her uninvited feelings of giddiness and joy. She knew it was a decision she might regret soon, but it’s the present that’s important right? And that very moment, seeing the authentic happiness on her best friend’s face, she knew she did the right thing.